As my body turns 73 years old in October, I have been struggling this past year to keep up with the physical efforts of my dressing. Don’t get me wrong, I Love putting outfits together and going out with friends for shopping and dining. As I spend time in public, I’m meeting younger folks where in the past I might have been the only crossdresser in a crowd of gays and lesbians. I was going out with those in their mid 20’s and 30’s.

Having started dressing as a child, out in public since the 1960’s, I didn’t have any hesitation at being with others who seemed marginalized by society. Being a Government employed surgeon for most of my 50-year career, I faced a tremendous fear of losing my professional life if I happened to be depicted poorly in the press. It might have ended the financial stability for my family. Those in my family were depending on me as I worked in private practice and Government positions. Being outed would have been a life-changing situation.

As a young crossdresser, I was very careful in my outings; it was a strong urge to dress and go out. The 1960’s were not as LGBTQ + accepting as they are today. Venturing out was exciting but extremely risky. There were many thousands of others like me, who did what our generation could do to reasonably progress our cause. Now the burden of taking it forward is being passed on to the next generation of advocacy.

AlsChristmasWish-cdh

As I look in the rearview mirror, I maintain a sense of pride at the progress of perceptions that our efforts have produced. There’s so much more to do in many areas, more tolerance. Discrimination will always be lurking around every corner. For example, the recent intimidation projected into the Department of Defense policy upon LGBTQ service in the military services. As a retired Army Veteran (1971-1996,) I am disappointed by the lack of intelligence on guidance in this arena. It’s also infuriating to be thrown out with the bath water. We can only hope that these discriminatory policies will be overturned in the near future.

I remain proud of the freedoms I have been granted, the ability to be able to dress and go out and about with my friends and family whenever I wish, and not just in the dark of night. I’m proud of my service to fellow transgender Veterans in the VA hospitals around the country (1984- 2017.) Over the decades in civilian practice, military and VA practices, I had the opportunity to witness the progress in acceptance, care, and empathy for crossdressers and the LGBTQ community.

So after 60 years of crossdressing, it takes me much longer to get ready to go, and I have to be careful and watch how I step in my beautiful heels, but I will continue to look as good as can when I leave home. I want the next generation to follow their own path from the closet to the front door, and do it with pride and dedication in their need to dress as they venture out into the light.

Visit Transgender Heaven

Thank you to CDH for providing us a platform that allows us to express ourselves and connect to each other. As those of us in our 70’s are passing on the baton to the younger, more energetic group of crossdressers to continue taking us forward, know that my arm is graciously outstretched to you.

Dr. T.J.

More Articles by The Author

Retired surgeon, happily married to female 35 yrs. Crossdresser since my early years .looking for meeting place to interact with other Crossdressers, not for sexual reasons. Like to dress up and go out. 72 y.o.

Latest posts by T.J. Byron (see all)

0 0 vote
melissa la quinta
melissa la quinta (@melissa-la-quinta)
1 year ago

Wow, I just loved your article, T’J. As a fellow veteran, I share your level of disappointment with how the government has treated our LGBTQ service members and vets. You are truly a gem, a standup citizen contributor and trailblazer. Hugs, Melissa PS: Love your look in the dress and lovely accessories, lovely hair and makeup.

Mina Michaels
Mina Michaels
1 year ago

T. J. Great post. Sounds like you are so very grounded in who you are. I also am a veteran, 40+ yrs. It has been a long road and as you say, perilous at times. Thank you for your service. P. S. sharp dress. Mina.

Laura Lovett
1 year ago

Fantastic story, T. J. So much hope and optimism for the future for the type of people we are.

Love, love, love the look!

Love Laura

Christine V
Christine V (@salty79)
1 year ago

I loved reading your story and I love your pictures. I often wondered if I’d still be passable in my later years. Your pictures give a gurl who’s pushing 40 hope!

elizabeth moran
elizabeth moran (@pinkslip)
1 year ago

Dr.TJ, As a fellow veteran, and professional trained, I understand your situation completely and praise you for all that you have accomplished and trust that you can continue on your mission for many years to come.
Love the ensemble and the shoes to match are to die for.

Kendra Woods
Kendra Woods (@kendraw)
1 year ago

Thank you to all of you veterans active or retired for your service and protection of our freedom.

Peggy Sue Williams
Peggy Sue Williams (@catgurl)
1 year ago

Excellent well written article that I can personally identify with in many ways.

Peggy Sue
Retired U.S. Navy, 22 years active duty, Viet Nam veteran

Lucinda Hawkns
Lucinda Hawkns (@dlgeb275)
1 year ago

great post, yes back in the 60s there was no support groups for x dressers and for x dressing back in the 60s was like forbidden, now in 2019 there are groups out there and x dressers are coming out of the closet so to speak for some of them are. for hiding it its a tough road. i am 56 and love to dress up pretty when i can, wife knows of my x dressing, she lets me know when i can dress up for we have 1 adult child still at home. i dress up and wife will… Read more »

April (Pacific Princess)
Ambassador
1 year ago

Nice article hon. Only 61 here, but got back into CDing the past few years (did it off and on from age 7 to my mid 20s then stopped for 30+ Years). Love your confidence and your willingness to help younger CDers out there. Sure wish I could pass like I did in my 20s, but love the freedom that age brings.

Hugs,
April

Jessica
Jessica (@phil)
1 year ago

Great post sister. Thank you.

Sandy Craig
Sandy Craig (@sandymae)
1 year ago

Nice article TJ. As we have met I truely know that your are an Ambassador for the trans people and have projected what others should know about or lifestyle choices. A positive influence and able to educate those you meet!

I look forward to seeing you soon,
Sandy