Notifications
Clear all

What are YOUR favourite stockings?

77 Posts
46 Users
34 Reactions
(@oldregistry)
Honorable Member     Batley, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
  • I have hold ups various colors also some wet look ones with wet look suspender belt. All feel wonderful when on
(@melissa65)
Eminent Member     Bristol, Avon, United Kingdom

The ones for me, if i do wear stockings, as generally I simply like to show my actual legs and undies, it feels so like such freedom when wearing a dress or a skirt and out for a walk, feeling the breeze as it brushes my legs. However, thatsaid, I like to wear hold up stockings rather than normal suspender stockings, or (tights)..the latter never stay up lol, have have been known to wear suspenders and stockings...

Lady
(@nylonlace)
Estimable Member     Oklahoma, United States of America

Garter belt and sheer stockings are my favorite, but I do wear thigh high hold ups as well. I have a few pairs of pantyhose, but I do not normally wear them. I prefer old fashioned reinforced heel and toe (RHT) the best in terms of my stockings. I do not like back seams at all as they are too much of a pain to put on and keep straight (love the look when on someone else though). Like you, I prefer nude hosiery as I like to be able to see my legs underneath. Don't get me wrong. I like the look of black and white stockings as well, and wear them a lot, but my first choice will always be nude hosiery.

Hugs,
Emily

(@oldregistry)

I love my charcoal hold ups for very day wear. But also have Black, Red, White, Light Blue for dressing up.

(@oldregistry)

I wear hold ups every day easier to put on. Also have stockings for suspender belt black of course and latex/rubber ones feel awesome.

Lady
(@hottestwitch)
Prominent Member     Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom

A very interesting question - that I wish I had seen ages ago! This just goes to show that yiou should never give up on old articles!!! I have to admit that I am a tights sort of girl; I don't struggle to get into them and in their own way I think they look better - they do wonders for my bum! As for stockings - well, no difference for me concerning hold ups or a suspender belt - they both feel superb! Yes, hold ups are easier, but a suspender belt just feels so, so good... but do hold ups feel any less feminine? Not in my opinion! Overall, I agree that black often looks the best - it does with anything - especially the shorter the skirt/dress gets. Mind; I love patterns and bright colours - especially lacly patterns! All in all, I think that the anwer is - whatever the girl wants, she should get! Thanks for setting this poser! Holly XXX

Baroness
(@annaredhead)
Prominent Member     Cornwall, United Kingdom

I love hosiery and consider it an essential part of any Anna day - never bare-legged and never in trousers in Anna mode.

I am much more a fan of tights than stockings, much easier for everyday wear and use and so much more variety for colours. Saying that, the mood took me to wear stockings today, so I am wearing a pair that are sheer, black with a red seam and top, they feel beautifully soft and silky.

I am not a fan at all of fishnets or mesh stockings / tights, I am a fan of smoothness. I've also not had much luck with holdups.

I also love suspender tights. Not necessarily the easiest things to put on, but they look and feel fabulous.

Being tall, I've found Snag Tights as a brand to be fantastic, I have a lot of pairs of their tights and the stockings I am wearing today came from them. I've also found the very sheer stockings from Anne Summers fit me very well so have a few pairs of them.

13 Replies
Lady
(@hottestwitch)

@annaredhead Snag Tights - I just remember some very unappealling television adverts from them, but that doen't mean their product won't be good - I'll check them out.  I actually like fishnets - though it's an occasional sort of thing; mind - black fishnets over white tights (or the other way round!) always seems to just be so nice...  Unfortunately,my local branch of Anne Summers has just shut down - who would have thought that would be possible?  And tall?  Bet you I'm not too much behind you... if at all...  Holly XXX

Baroness
(@annaredhead)

@hottestwitch I hadn't known Snag had advertised on television. I found them by accident when searching for tights online. I love them as they feel soft, last well and have beautiful colours. I've never layered tights, I'd worry about ending up getting a bit hot.

Height - I'm 6'1 1/2" but have long legs. Anna x

Lady
(@hottestwitch)

Yup - they advertised for a while - they just didn't really get it right... Whatever; colours... Oooh, yeah - I really love wearing stuff that isn't just nude or black - I can't really understand why so many ladies don't seem to want to be a little more adventurous... Oh - height? 6' 1 1/2? You should have eaten your greens when you were a girl!!! 6' 4" over here - just shows what a good vegetarian diet will do for you... Holly XXX

Baroness
(@annaredhead)

I used to smoke, that stunts your growth. For your height, have you seen Samburu tights? Long and in beautiful colours

Lady
(@harriette)

Famed Member     Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted by: @annaredhead

I've also not had much luck with holdups.

Why have you not had much luck with them?

Baroness
(@annaredhead)

I'm a runner, so long, lean thigh muscle, legs are too narrow for hold ups to stick to

Lady
(@harriette)

@annaredhead Sheertex's size guide starts at XS for women of 90 lbs and up. I don't know what circumference that equates to, but it has to be really small. According to them, it's extra small. 

My thigh is exactly 22" in circumference and the large size has no problem staying up.

I don't know how many sizes other brands have, but I am sure that you could find something that works.

Baroness
(@annaredhead)

I'll keep looking, having long legs can make buying hosiery tricky

Lady
(@harriette)

@annaredhead  If you weigh more than 90 lbs, Sheertex should have something for you. Even if you don't believe them, at least contact them and see what customer service thinks will fit you. On top of that, they have a 30 day guarantee, so what do you have to lose?

Baroness
(@annaredhead)

I must weigh double that! I like the sound of the brand and will see if they can get something that sizes up well.

Lady
(@harriette)

@annaredhead Measure the circumference of your thigh. I have a few different patterns of their thigh-highs, but they are all listed as large (for 22"). Strangely, their lengths can be a bit different, but they still stay in place. The only pair that didn't stick were replaced immediately.

Even well worn and stretched, they still stay in place. I presume that you will keep your thighs hairless, too.

Baroness
(@annaredhead)

Thanks. Yes, my legs are kept smooth

Baroness
(@annaredhead)

@harriette I found a pair of holdups in a shop on Friday that I bought as an impulse purchase. I'm giving them a wear this evening, they are 15 dernier and fit beautifully. They are sized XL which give the height but thankfully not huge at the tops so look and feel absolutely wonderful.

(@lgoldman2212)
Eminent Member     Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America

Pantyhose were my entree to the world of crossdressing and gender exploration, so they still hold a special place for me. I love all shades of black, but really love the more subtle barely detectable forms. I also love nude, suntan, taupe, and blue. When I am underdressing at work, I will generally be wearing pantyhose, sometimes with panties.

I intend to get more into wearing stockings. I love the look of lace-top stay-ups, but suspenders can look pretty sexy too. I am not a big fan of fishnets or textures. I love smooth silkiness and the albedo look. I also prefer smooth to saggy as it enhances the natural curve of the leg.

One of the advantages I see for stockings is less flattening of the butt. I am fortunate in having decent curvature back there and I would like to use that. I have used a home-made gaff mostly, but tight clothes would reveal the bands. This weekend I got some tight panties to see if I can get tucking to work with them.

I do enjoy the thrill of shopping for hose and buying them, but lately I have done most of my shopping online, mainly because there is very little variety in brick-and-mortar stores. I found hosieree to have a lot of variety and some good sales sometimes.

Lady
(@gilliantv)
Active Member     United Kingdom

Predictably my favourites are black lace topped stockings. I do like black lacey stockings and I am partial to seemed black nylons just for their sheerness. My next purchase will be silk stockings which will be soft, smooth and absolutely divine.

Lady
(@lionel)
Eminent Member     Avon, United Kingdom

Let's start with ones I don't like or wear: thick (high-denier) tights; fishnets; hold-ups.  On the whole I prefer stockings with suspenders but I don't regard tights as "difficult" or "a struggle".  I am old-fashioned in my preferences so top of the list are fully-fashioned nylon stockings, held very taut by a girdle or deep suspender belt.  Keeping them wrinkle-free with straight seams is a challenge but my enjoyment comes from reproducing as far as I can the same feelings as girls/women used to have when I was young.  Tights are easier, especially control-top ones and with a panty girdle worn over them to make sure they stay in place and I can understand why women found them less troublesome than stockings.  I can also understand why women changed to seamless, stretch stockings when they became available. There were no wrinkles and less restriction caused by the need for a very firm belt to anchor them and very tight suspenders that tried hard to control how you walked and sat!

Duchess
(@joannaberry)
Estimable Member     Tamworth, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Oh wow what a topic!  
I really love stockings, but I always think they look much better on others. There are a few fully fashioned pairs in my dress up bag, but it has to be a special occasion for me to wear them. There’s a lovely pair of Italian seamed ones in there, which when paired with my lovely corselette look and feel amazing💕 getting the seams straight is a pain though…

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere tights/pantyhose work for me on every level, mainly nude/flesh tones are my favs, but I have a few black pairs too. Currently I’ve got a pair on from Amazon “Manzi” control top, these are my everyday go to brand which are comfortable and bomb proof most of the time. I often have these on under my drab male clothes too. I did go a little wild recently and treated myself to a pair of “Wolford” tights….these are beautiful to wear, in fact I’ve had to remove them from my bag and hide them away for best, possibly for going out in soon, but that will depend on the most reliable thing that’s unreliable in the U.K.  The weather!☀️🌧💨❄️🤭💕

2 Replies
Baroness
(@annaredhead)

@joannaberry Do tights under trousers end up getting too hot?

Duchess
(@joannaberry)

Estimable Member     Tamworth, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

In the U.K. - never! 🤭 I’m joking.
If the weather is going to be warm then I tend not to wear them underneath my trousers (usually jeans) it does depend on what I’ve got planned for the day ahead and who I’m going to be with. There are a few factors to be considered.

Lady
(@tracyj)
Active Member     Arizona, United States of America

I only wear Wolford thigh highs. Love them. Expe sive yes, but I love them. 

Baroness Annual
(@lauriejp3)
Eminent Member     Rio Vista, California, United States of America

Laurie has collected stockings for years, rather like an obsessive woman. I started with Hanes walking sheer in many of the shades. They wear like iron and have so seldom had a run in any pair. I have several original unopened boxes of them. As they became difficult to find I continued to search for true 50/60's style nylons, and now have over 60 pair. My treasure collection has "TallGal", National Hosiery New York, and many no name pairs from on line sites. All are true sheer nylons of 15 - denier. Laurie loves the occasional time that the seamed full fashion type is the right ones to wear. I have those in several colors. The "Tall Gal" ones are really long, what they used to call "Opera Length". I have had to modify several garter belts and several suspenders that attach to my corsets to fit them as the welt actually comes just to the panty line. 

In recent times and to wear sandals I have sought out sheer toe an heel and enjoy the Hanes Lace top stay-ups among others

One of the most difficult to find to purchase is a decent garter belt with more than four straps. Most things available are flimsy cheap with plastic tabs. I found on Amazon in the UK a brand Nylon Dreams made in the EU. Bought several in 8 and ten straps, all have real metal adjusters and tabs. Unfortunately no longer available.

In the USA the women seem to have completely abandoned wearing stockings. Not so much for we crossdressers! 😍 

1 Reply
Baroness
(@annaredhead)

@lauriejp3 Try What Katy Did for nice suspender belts and beautiful retro lingerie

Lady
(@denises924)
Reputable Member     Massachusetts, United States of America

Hosiery is my greatest joy when dressing. I am a Hanes Silk Reflections Thigh High girl primarily, but occasionally pantyhose too. Barely Black and Barely There are my preferred colors. I would love to try Wolfords some time - any style\any color.

Denise
😊

Lady
(@lionel)
Eminent Member     Avon, United Kingdom

Just a couple of quick, further thoughts....

It is noticeable that modern stocking wearers tend to want their nylons to come much further up the leg.  This would have been completely unworkable back in the days when stockings were the norm: girdles were designed with suspenders around mid-thigh, half way between knee and crotch and for the girdle to function as intended, suspenders needed to be stretched, so an over-long stocking would be a problem.  Suspender belts, too, were designed for stockings of similar length and even with straps shortened would not give enough tension if the stockings were too long.

Secondly, I don't think anyone made a suspender belt with more than four suspenders in that era.  Four was the norm except on some much firmer girdles/corsets where an extra pair of suspenders seemed to be needed to keep the hem of the (open) girdle pulled well down. 

I had a M&S "extra firm control" open corselette  with six suspenders and a Berlei "figure-type" girdle also with six - but otherwise all vintage girdles and belts had just four suspenders and everyone seemed to manage quite well with them. 

Page 3 / 4
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?