169 Posts
86 Users
230 Reactions
Duchess Annual
Topic starter
(@chrissydee)
Estimable Member     Connecticut, United States of America
  • Good Ladies - 
    On my drive home from the office tonight (in drab), I heard what I think of as one of the sexiest female rock voices of all time  - Chrissie (no relation) Hynde singing “Don’t Get Me Wrong”.  While not listed in a quick Google search of the top 20 sexy rock singers of all time, I’m interested to know how she fits within the CDH Rocketteosphere.  In comparison, I’ve listed some of those who did make the top 20. Feel free to list your own. 
168 Replies
82 Replies
Lady
(@harriette)

Famed Member     Toronto, Ontario, Canada

@chrissydee Of the ones listed, I chose Debbie Harry for best voice, but... I have never knowingly heard Taylor Swift or Beyonce (honest!), so they aren't relevant, to me. 😳

I will single out:

One of the first concerts that I ever went to was to hear Annie Haslam solo, separate from Renaissance. In a white dress surrounded with stage smoke, she looked and sounded like an angel.

In her style, Amy Winehouse was hard to beat. R.I.P.

Technically, Tarja Turunen is way up there. She wasted a decade with Nightwish.

Nina Persson, from The Cardigans.

Shirley Mason, from Garbage, but her voice is always masked by the instruments.

And, for a bit more overload: Dido, Lily Allen, Ann Wilson, Ann Murray, Kylie Minogue, Diane Krall, Jennifer Warnes. All have great singing voices.

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

Noble Member     Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

@harriette Annie Haslam is definitely in my musical sphere, through Renaissance.  One of my earliest musical memories is seeing them doing 'Ocean Gypsy' on TV in the 70's with a simultaneous radio broadcast, although I only found out who they were and got hold of the song once it became available through the Internet in the early 00's.

Princess Annual
(@carlablanchedubois)

Trusted Member     Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America

@finallyfiona Yep, I have most of her music and met her at a show near Philly and bought one of her paintings about 9 years ago.  She still has "that voice".  A lovely lady and she is a very good painter.

Lady
(@harriette)

Posted by: @finallyfiona

@harriette Annie Haslam is definitely in my musical sphere, through Renaissance.

I am glad that she struck a chord with you.

Lady
(@sienna106)

Active Member     Manchester, GreaterManchester, United Kingdom

@finallyfiona Went to see Renaissance years ago at the Apollo here in Manchester UK,  They (and Annie) were so brilliant, that for some time afterwards I was speechless,  I never knew music could be so good.

(@mandygirl35)

Trusted Member     United States of America

@sienna106 I have always said that Annie Haslam is the best female vocalist, shame that more people don’t know just how beautiful a voice she has. 5 octave range- amazing

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

@mandygirl35 I've often seen that said of her, but 5 octaves would go from well below the lowest bass to well above the highest soprano voices.  Most people have around a 2-octave range in their register, but Annie could certainly muster three.  That long note right at the end of 'Scheherazade' must be about the highest that she recorded, beyond the capabilities of pretty much anyone other than an opera singer which is what she originally trained to be.

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

@sienna106 The only reason I could ever wish to be older than I am is to have seen my favourite bands when they were active at their peak 🙂 But I was just born at the wrong end of the 60's 🙄

Lady
(@darbygirl)

Eminent Member     Massachusetts, United States of America

@finallyfiona LMAOOO!  Fleetwood Mac (OMG I loved her hair!), Phil Collins, Alan Parsons Project and of course my favorite.... Grateful Dead! Yes, we did have some great music!

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

@darbygirl Thinking more like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Renaissance of course, Camel, Gong ...  there were probably others I'd have gone to see as well.  Male me is a bit of a prog-head!  Actually I did get to see the first three of those during the late 80's into the mid 90's.  But they'd already been playing all their best-loved stuff for 20 years.

Lady
(@darbygirl)

Eminent Member     Massachusetts, United States of America

@harriette  OMG, I love Renaissance and still play my albums of theirs!

Lady
(@briana)

Trusted Member     Florida, United States of America

@chrissydee  my favorite is Linda Ronstadt.   She's done it all: Rock, country, show tunes, and even Mexican folk songs!

(@Anonymous 95235)

Reputable Member

@briana I love her version of blue bayou x

Lady
(@briana)

@samanthaxxxx iirc, she also sang the Dolly Parton song "I Will Always Love You".

(@Anonymous 95235)

Reputable Member

@briana not heard that will have a listen , currently listening to Lyle Lovett !

Princess Annual
(@carlablanchedubois)

@chrissydee 

Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil.

Ash Costello of New Years Day.

(Note: edited to remove photos. Apologies, but no photos are allowed in the forums. Ellie x).

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

Illustrious Member     North County San Diego, California, United States of America

@carlablanchedubois 

Hard to argue with those 2.  Unfortunately most people never heard of them.

While I'm on the subject of gorgeous singers you should know about, I'll throw in Ruth Radelet.  Formerly of Chromatics.

/EA

(@dovemtn2016)

Reputable Member     Tucson, Arizona, United States of America

@emilyalt Hey Em, how about Janet Gardner from Vixen?

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

Illustrious Member     North County San Diego, California, United States of America

@dovemtn2016 

I'd add her.  I have to admit I knew her name and little else.  I did a quick lookup and learned a few things.  Thanks Christine!

/EA

Princess Annual
(@carlablanchedubois)

@emilyalt Oh yeah!🤘

Baroness
(@alexina)

Noble Member     Fife, United Kingdom

@chrissydee 

Great topic, Chrissy. I chose Stevie Nicks because she embodies my ideal of feminity. Long, wavy hair, lovely floaty dresses. Also Sonia Kristina from Caravan and Miquette Giraudy from Gong et al.

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

@alexina Some interesting groups there that are also on my radar.  I didn't realise they had female vocalists (except the original Gilli Smyth in Gong, but that was hardly singing!). 

I would have to agree with your opinion on Stevie Nicks for her presentation, but I never really gelled with Fleetwood Mac back in the day.  I'm still not totally taken by her voice either, although she sure deserves my respect for her artistry.

Baroness
(@alexina)

@finallyfiona 

I agree, I preferred Fleetwood Mac in their earlier days with Peter Green. I still can't hear Green Manalishi without playing air guitar!

(@caroline2k)

Honorable Member     Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom

@alexina Hey Allie - I hate to be 'that' girl, but!... lol

Sonja Kristina was the singer in Curved Air. Unless she's sung with Caravan recently (maybe she does the high bits that Pye Hastings can't reach anymore 🤔 ).

@finallyfiona Miquette did do some vocalising in Gong, as well as on Mr. Hillage's solo work and System 7 stuff. 

Baroness
(@alexina)

@caroline2k 

OMG!  Of course you're right, Caroline, where's my head at!!

Allie x

Baroness
(@alexina)

I'm indebted to Caroline for pointing out my inexplicable claim that Sonja Kristina sang with Caravan when I should have said Curved Air. Oh dear, I wonder what's next, sitting next to a stranger on a bus and asking when the visitors are coming!

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

Illustrious Member     Norfolk, United Kingdom

@alexina 

Oh dear, I wonder what's next, sitting next to a stranger on a bus and asking when the visitors are coming.

That reminded me of the Jasper Carrot 'Nutter on the Bus' routine ... so of course I then had to seek it out and listen to it.

I think the last time I heard that I was preparing for my A levels 🙁

Baroness
(@alexina)

@ellyd22 

There are so many in my neck of the woods that I'm sure the bus company employs them!

(@caroline2k)

@alexina Fear not - 'Inexplicable claims' are the new normal!*

*Other socio-political viewpoints are available 😁😉

Baroness
(@alexina)

(@Anonymous 95235)

Reputable Member

@alexina I had a Sonia kristina on my wall for so long Tom Robbins escaped through it x

Baroness
(@alexina)

@samanthaxxxx 

Yeah, I had to look up Tom Robbins, Google then kindle. Prolific doesn't begin....👀

Duchess Annual
(@firefly)

Noble Member     Panama, Panama, Panama

@alexina I love Stevie. She embodies my ideal of feminity too. And she is The First Lady of Rock. And she has aged well, she still impresses me.

Gisela

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@chrissydee 

This list could easily have 100 names.  There are so many gorgeous singers that most people never heard of.

I voted for Courtney Love.  She's beautiful and talented.  She's a bona fide actress.  She's influenced a zillion female artists.  And she's the quintessential rock'n'roll bad girl.

Conspicuously absent is Miley Cyrus.  That girl can sing.  She's beautiful.  She's authentic.  And she's queer.  I probably would've voted for her over Courtney Love because she's more active and current.

/EA

Lady
(@lisa55)

Honorable Member     Gloucester, Virginia, United States of America

@chrissydee how can you not have Ann Wilson of heart on this list!

(@brittney2016)

Prominent Member     Cincinnati, Ohio, United States of America

@chrissydee; From the list I voted Stevie Nicks. However, I'd add my favorite to the list; Nancy Wilson of Heart.

Duchess Annual
(@chrissydee)

Ladies - who knew there were so many knowledgeable music afficianados in the CDH Rockettosphere.  Thanks for all the responses - and for so many good leads on artists I had never heard of and look forward to exploring.  While there were tons of worthy alternatives to the list (as compiled by Google - and they missed some good ones), as of this writing the leading choice amongst CDH participants is Stevie Nicks, with 38% of the votes cast.  My Girl Chrissie Hind of the Pretenders was a string second. Rock on Lady friends, and thanks for playing...

ChrissyDee

Ambassador
(@prudence)

Reputable Member     Missouri, United States of America

@chrissydee Many fine singers mentioned in the thread. I was surprised anyone else had heard of Annie Haslam, or Renaissance. Maybe cause I'm old, Janis Joplin? But I do love the Blues!

Lady
(@krisburton)

Honorable Member     Northern, New Jersey, United States of America

@prudence I think Anne Haslam is great - and I'm glad she's getting some props here!

Duchess
(@pattyphose)

Noble Member     Long Island, New York, United States of America

@chrissydee Linda Ronstadt, Tina Turner, Nancy Wilson, Donna Summer.

Lady
(@maive)

Estimable Member     Western NY, New York, United States of America

@chrissydee I am definitely a Stevie Nicks fan. But I also like Amy Lee from Evanescence. Great voice and music. Not for everyone.

Lady
(@celestecd)

Estimable Member     Colorado, United States of America

@chrissydee I also picked Chrissie Hynde....when she sings Brass in Pocket...OMG so incredible....

Duchess Annual
(@chrissydee)

@celestecd yes Ma’am. Tattooed Love Boys gets me goin as well. She’s just hot as hell with a voice that’s at once both sexually charged and beguiling.

Lady
(@celestecd)

@chrissydee Not sure I could have said it any better.  I agree!

(@Anonymous 95235)

Reputable Member

@celestecd And she looks fabulous as a waitress

(@lauren114)

Noble Member     Connecticut, United States of America

@celestecd I love listening to her sing the song Precious.....incredibly hot!

Duchess Annual
(@chrissydee)

@lauren114 @celestecd 

Yes indeed Lauren.  Also -  Did not love chain gang at first listen, but when she sings “I found a picture of you…” - feels like she’s talking to me…”Those were the happiest days of my life”. 

Lady
(@celestecd)

@chrissydee @lauren114 

I completely agree 

Just looking through her songs again over the years…just amazing.   Incredible.  Sexy, strong, confident.

Lady
(@laurensp)

Trusted Member     Delaware, United States of America

@chrissydee 

I like Annie Lennox and Grace Slick.  But Chrissie Hynde is no slouch!

(@Anonymous 95235)

Reputable Member

@chrissydee can I say none? Because Sarah from The Letter Black takes that spot

(@safoulds)

Eminent Member     Preston, Lancashire, United Kingdom

@chrissydee from the list it had to be Debbie Harry but for true rock there's only one Suzy Quatro. As a CDing teenager I idolised both her and her look. Oops, showing myvage now.

Stephanie x

Lady
(@bootsy)

Reputable Member     Maine, United States of America

@chrissydee I'd add Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac, joan Jett, Dusty Springfield, & Christina Umplett(the Divinyls) Rita Coolidge also.

Duchess
(@missylinda)

Noble Member     Ft Worth, Texas, United States of America

@chrissydee  oh you youngsters.  Yes we had phonographs albeit the wind up type.  My teenage years,  my heartthrob was Lesley Gore, perhaps not stylish  by your standards .  So jealous my football teammate dated her when he was at USC.  The hard rocker of all time came along next.  Janis Joplin was the female vocalist of the late 60s, and her cuts still live on.  Not on subject ( rock),the greatest female vocal performance, drum rolllllll….  Sarah Vaughn sings “Misty” , Stockholm, 1964.  She had an incredible head cold that night but dialed up on over the top effort of this Earl Gardner classic.  As I type, I have chills down my spine and tears in my eyes.  Try the utube video, it’s crude but will show you creative musical genius.  Yes, “ I get misty, cause I’m too much in love”,  with you Sarah.  Rest in piece darlin.

Lady
(@harriette)

@missylinda I was trying to think of some sexy or sensuous vocalists in the decades before the '70s, but it would have taken too long.

Doris Day, Connie Stevens, Dionne Warwick, and who could forget Eartha Kitt's unusual voice?

Duchess
(@missylinda)

Noble Member     Ft Worth, Texas, United States of America

@harriette yes, Kitt doing “ Santa Baby just one more thing, a ring”.  How about Dusty Springfield.  The Canadian song bird Anne Murray,  more cute than sexy.  But who could forget cousin  Ruby Starr.  ???  Song “Jim Dandy to the rescue “ by Black oak Arkansas.  She looked the total hillbilly part,  humongous boobs waiting to fall out and vocal chords fine tuned with course grit sandpaper.  Her only line in the song was “ go Jim dandy go” which she screamed repeatedly.  As my father would say, “ sounds better under 4 feet of water.”

Lady
(@harriette)

@missylinda She sure new how to dress to attract attention.

Lady
(@josie21)

@chrissydee

No disrespect to Stevie, one of my faves, but where is Bonnie Raitt? Where is Emmylou Harris? Emmylou isn't a "rock" singer but she sure is a singer!

And what about Susan Tedeschi? Not many can rock Susan!

Duchess
(@smartina)

Estimable Member     Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

@chrissydee Debbie Harry is from my era, but there are tons of them. PP Arnold being backed by the Small Faces. "If You Think You're Groovy"

(@barbiegoldwin)

Estimable Member     Gulfport , Mississippi, United States of America

@chrissydee 

I have two female vocalists that I would love to be. Joan Jett and Martina McBride.

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)

Illustrious Member     Norfolk, United Kingdom

@chrissydee 

OK, not really 'rock' perhaps,  but if you want to check out someone perhaps a little less well known then have a search for Mary Spender on YouTube. I think that her voice is just incredible 🙂

One of my favourites is her 'Sultans of Swing' cover with Josh Turner.

Also her version of Springsteen's 'I'm On Fire' 🙂

Ellie x

Duchess Annual
(@chrissydee)

@ellyd22 Quick check has me in the yes camp - need to listen to more.  Thx for the tip Ellie! Smile

Baroness
(@trish1980)

Prominent Member     Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

Hi Chrissy,

Maybe I’m biased because I’m a Canuck but I think Shania Twain should be in the top twenty for sure.

Trish ❤️

(@Anonymous 95235)

Reputable Member

@chrissydee Stevie Nicks for me. I love her voice.

Lady
(@sarahgirl409)

Estimable Member     Auckland, New Zealand

@chrissydee For sure, for me it was a toss up between her and Debbie Harry anyway yes she does get the prize and btw  ,like the car in that vid too !

Lady
(@harriette)

Posted by: @sarahgirl409

@chrissydee and btw  ,like the car in that vid too !

There were two main cars in the Pretenders video.

One was a British car from Reliant that I didn't know, called the Scimitar. I only knew of their comical 3-wheeled Robin.

The other vintage car was a 1930s Bentley 3-litre, probably the one from the original Avengers TV series.

Duchess Annual
(@chrissydee)

@harriette nice pick up there Harriette - fun cars indeed.

Duchess Annual
(@emmat)

Estimable Member     I don't do cities ;-), Powys, United Kingdom

@chrissyde Hello Chrissy, my music window is from many years past. I don't listen much to these artists. But if you'ld have included  Tina Turner...

My age gives me one benefit. I voted for Chrissie Hynde, because she's the only one I've seen play live. It was summer '79 - they'd released hardly anything yet , certainly not their first album - in a grubby little dance hall, and they did themselves proud.

Duchess
(@pattyphose)

Noble Member     Long Island, New York, United States of America

@chrissydee How could I have possibly forgotten Susana Hoff?

Lady
(@kimdl94)

Estimable Member     Longview, Texas, United States of America

@chrissydee 

I was disappointed by the choices offered.  There’s at least one woman missing!

Once upon a time Pat Benatar was asked how it felt to be the queen of rock and roll.   Here immediate response was, “Is Linda Ronstadt not still living?”   In other words, Pat B recognized the Linda Ronstadt was the queen of rock. 

Linda had the most amazing, versatile voice in Rock. She could literally sing anything.  She was the first woman to fill stadiums around the world.  And she did her own thing, whether it was folk, country, and rock or the classic popular songbook, opera or Latin music.    

Think about these data points:   Linda had the #1 Latin album ever, and a lot of people had barely realized she was Hispanic.   She charted platinum records over three decades with Peter Asher and arranger Nelson Riddle and collaborations collaborations with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris, as well as Aaron Neville.

Lady
(@kimdl94)

Estimable Member     Longview, Texas, United States of America

@chrissydee 

I was disappointed by the choices offered.  Maybe the term “sexy” is what throws me off.   

There’s at least one woman missing!

Once upon a time Pat Benatar was asked how it felt to be the queen of rock and roll.   Here immediate response was, “Is Linda Ronstadt not still living?”   In other words, Pat B recognized the Linda Ronstadt was the queen of rock. 

Linda had the most amazing, versatile voice in Rock. She could literally sing anything.  She was the first woman to fill stadiums around the world.  And she did her own thing, whether it was folk, country, and rock or the classic popular songbook, opera or Latin music.    

Think about these data points:   Linda had the #1 Latin album ever, and a lot of people had barely realized she was Hispanic.   She charted platinum records over three decades with Peter Asher and arranger Nelson Riddle and collaborations collaborations with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris, as well as Aaron Neville.

besides, Linda was genuinely, unpretentiously beautiful.    

(@blueeyedbimbo)

Trusted Member     Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom

@chrissydee I agree with Chissie Hynde but have recently found NIGHTWISH and FLOOR JANSSEN, she is the best singer with a 4 octave range I have ever heard, I get goosebumps listening to her at particular moments in her vocals. Apart from that she is a 6ft goddess lol.

Duchess
(@jjorgenson)

Eminent Member     Michigan, United States of America

@chrissydee Chrissy is my favorite!!

Duchess
(@geselle)

Estimable Member     Chico area, California, United States of America

@chrissydee  chose Stevie Nicks from the list, I also like Dianna Krall who is more of a jazz singer but she has such a great voice and her music is also great. Give her a listen sometime, you might become a fan. Coral

(@Anonymous 95235)

Reputable Member

@geselle Yes Diana Krall has a wonderful voice

Lady
(@gbingyi61)

Trusted Member     Victoria, Australia

@chrissydee I totally agree Chrissie Hynde has the absolute greatest voice, I love all her songs

(@claudianewday)

Active Member     Great Barrington, Massachusetts, United States of America

@chrissydee Hi there Chrissy, Chrissie Hynde is probably my all-time all around best rocker period. The poetry of each song is among the best out there, and this applies to any musical genre. She can do this and still maintain the edge - that necessary element in all the best female rockers. For this alone, I am here-for-to asking your hand in friendship.

Duchess Annual
(@chrissydee)

@claudianewday Sure - a friend of Chrissy H is a friend of mine.

Duchess
(@ariel)

Active Member     California, United States of America

@chrissydee  

No Ann Wilson? come on girls, the bottom 3 on the list are not rock and roll girls, at least the top four on the list sing at their concerts and are not lyp syncing  

Lady
(@harriet)

Noble Member     Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand

@chrissydee most definitely Aretha Franklin! But on another note Patti Smith!

Duchess Annual
(@jayneelaparte)

Eminent Member     Elon, North Carolina, United States of America

@chrissydee My favorite isn’t listed. She is Canadian vocalist Sass Jordan. I was smitten the first time I heard “You Don’t Have To Remind Me”. Such emotion!

Baroness
(@revel)

Noble Member     Minnesota, United States of America

@chrissydee You listed some good choices, but I myself love 80s female rock vocalists, so I prefer Joan Jett, Kim Wilde, and Bonnie Tyler. 🤘 I also love Shania Twain, and some of Taylor Swift's songs. ♥️

Revel "Rev"

(@fabulous1)

Active Member     Forest Hill, Maryland, United States of America

@chrissydee To all - IMHO, The hands down best female vocalist is Margo Timmins of Cowboy Junkies.  If you haven’t heard them before, check out “Sweet Jane” and “Common Disaster”. You can’t help but love her voice.

(@Anonymous 95235)
Reputable Member

Chrissy check out within temptation her video bleed out my favorite she rocks but fyi she rocks hard 😁

Lady
(@michaela2001)
Prominent Member     Goldsboro, North Carolina, United States of America

Personally, I had a crush on Susie Quatro. Particularly when she wore her tight leather catsuit. 

3 Replies
Lady
(@sashabennett)

Honorable Member     Wick, Caithness, United Kingdom

@michaela2001 Me too, I had a life size poster on my bedroom wall back in the day. Wish I still had it.

Lady
(@missmel)

Eminent Member     West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

@sashabennett Dug her album out recently only to find a huge poster folded up in the sleeve. Almost got thumped by here then boyfriend/ guitarist after nearly knocking his mike stand over.

Lady
(@sashabennett)

@missmel Funny how so many artists from overseas have to come here to get noticed. I always knew we had the best taste in the world 😊

Duchess
(@patches)
Estimable Member     Maryland, United States of America

Joan Jett

1 Reply
Lady
(@lisa55)

Honorable Member     Gloucester, Virginia, United States of America

@patches Wheaton HS, even us from Blair loved her!

(@christineth)
Prominent Member     Brussels, Brabant, Belgium

For me, from the list, it’s most definitely Debbie Harry (except for the drug taking).  Petite, shapely, great legs, sexy 80s clothes, I’d certainly Call Her.  But if we could add to the list,I would say Kim Wilde, although she is more pop than rock… there is just something about her.

Hugs Christine

(@Anonymous 95235)
Reputable Member

Hi , great topic , I voted for Chrissie Hynde, and she looks fabulous in the video for Brass in Pocket, and in the video has my ideal job but not sure she's in Texas( the state not the band) I'm  a fan of Debbie Harry , there is a video of her " slow motion" her dress is sensational I wanted one at the time .

But my favourite isn't there PJ Harvey, absolutely mesmerising and when she's with Nick Cave they are a perfect match. And for partnerships from heaven Hope Sandaval and Glasgows finest Jesus and Mary Chain .The promo for Sometimes Always is always on my you tube juke box!

Lady
(@sashabennett)

There are soooo many & if I were to list them all it would probably crash the server but a recent discovery would be Emma Naslund from a Swedish band called Gaupa. Never heard of them? I'm not surprised. Think a mashup of Bjork & Soundgarden & you will be somewhere close. Honourable mentions would include Julia Kugel-Montoya from The Coathangers (American all girl garage rock band), Anna Shields from Dead Pony (rising stars of the Scottish music scene) & obviously Kate Pierson from the B52's. No list would be complete without PJ Harvey, Debbie Harry, Annie Lennox, Souxie Sioux etc etc.... In case you haven't guessed yet I'm a bit obsessed with music & I'm always on the lookout for my new favourite

(@caroline2k)

I would agree with @christineth about Debbie Harry - a teenage crush, looked good, wore some nice clothes and I liked the group, and I also had a thing for Stevie Nicks - wanting to look like her mostly lol.

My personal favourites in the 'sexy female rock singer' category are Siouxsie Sioux (of The Banshees - a great band too) and Rose McDowall of Strawberry Switchblade, and Miki Berenyi of Lush, all of whom I would have loved to look like and whose style influences me to this day. Oh yes, and Annie Clarke of St. Vincent

Mentions must also go to Pat Benatar and Susannah Hoffs.

Lady
(@autumngold)
Estimable Member     Illinois, United States of America

I like the group Bananarama consisting of Sara Dallin, Keren Woodward and Siobhan Fahey. I love their version of Venus. 

Yes, I am old.

(@satiny)
Trusted Member     columbia, South Carolina, United States of America

Johnette Napolitano  from concrete blonde

(@lauren114)
Noble Member     Connecticut, United States of America

Sure I love Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Nicks, Annie Haslam, Joan Jett, Cheryl Crow, etc....but I have to admit that as far as sexy goes, the country music world wins hands down.

(@rebeccabaxter)
Noble Member     Cornwall, United Kingdom

Suzie Quattro

Floor Jansen of Nightwish

Dorothee Pesch, AKA Dora. Solo now but previously of the metal band Warlock.

There are loads of others that can belt out a tune.

I must confess to a little bit of confusion when the list of 'rock' vocalists at the top includes the likes of Taylor Swift, Madonna and Beyonce and I think the OP's image of rock and mine differ somewhat. Taylor and Beyonce (and Madonna in her earlier years) are certainly 'sexy' but rock vocalist? Hmm. Thoughtful  

Edit: Forgot to mention, my vote on the list above went to Courtney Love; quite the rocker, as was her now-deceased husband, Kurt Cobain.

Lady
(@brandicd11)
Reputable Member     New York, United States of America

Hi Ladies,

I voted for Chrissie.

An other one not on the list would be Pat Bentar 

Hugs,

Brandi

Duchess Annual
(@blondsherri)
Honorable Member     Missoula, Montana, United States of America

From the list, I vote for Chrissie Hynde. Saw her perform at an outdoor show at the Gorge Amphitheater, great show. My favorite though is Annie Lennox with out a doubt.

Sherri

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

I grew up with Debbie Harry, Kim Wilde, Chrissie Hynde, Annie Lennox and various others including Madonna on the radio (before I found non-mainstream music).  Taylor Swift and Beyonce hold no interest for me whatsoever but put on a song with any of the others I mentioned and I'll be happy 🙂

4 Replies
Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@finallyfiona 

FWIW, Beyonce's new album 'Cowboy Carter' is pretty damn good.  It's labeled a 'country' album but it's so much more than that.  Beyonce blends a diverse mix of musical genres into what is essentially a concept album.  It's receiving rave reviews.  Personally, she's never been my cup of tea.  But this album impresses.  Worth a listen.

/EA

(@Anonymous 95235)

Reputable Member

@emilyalt Hi Emily , yes i did hear a track or two and I didn't realise it was her ! Taylor Swift has a new album out which appears to be highly personal and although I'm no Swiftie she certainly has something about her that her audience adore

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)

@emilyalt Thanks Emily.  I might have to crank up Spotify at some point over the summer and give it a listen as Fiona, because my reactions will very probably be different to what they would be from my male self. 

While en femme, I've started looking in the less-frequently visited corners of my music collection for female vocalists.  I wouldn't count any of them as rock-chicks, but I've unearthed an album by Sarah McLachlan, whose depth of emotional expression is amazing.  Also a lady called Joanne Hogg, of the Gaelic band Iona: lovely voice although I'm not such a fan of her sometimes evangelical message.  Finally I've always like Maire Brennan of Clannad, their music from the 80's has been with me ever since.

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)

@finallyfiona 

Interesting perspective Fiona.  Yes, I think Fiona will be a better judge than Clarke Kent!

I don't often think about how my musical tastes have changed.  I've always listened to a broad range of artists and genres.  But the bulk of what I listen to now is more likely to trigger a softer emotional response.  Music that speaks to my inner girl.  Music that's happy.  Music I can dance to. 

Thanks!

/EA

Page 1 / 4
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?