58 Posts
28 Users
108 Thanks
16.1 K Views
Lady
Topic starter
(@hottestwitch)
Honorable Member     Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom

Please accept my apologies if I say anything in this forum that seems to be discriminatory to anyone - really not my intention. Whatever:  apparently, being left handed has apparently been accepted as being "genetic" - note, I do not say "a genetic mutation" - but it has for a long time been seen as a sign of "genetic difference" (I can't quite come up with a less offensive way of putting it.)  Seemingly, being left handed is a sign of a difference:  and I'm sure we are all aware that there is something different about all of us ladies here!  Apparently, in the general population, about 1 in 10 are left handed (with more genetic females than males being so).  How are we?  I'm not left handed, though there is a preponderance in my family to being sinistrous (I'm told that's the correct term, though that's probably wrong!)  Do you think our preference may have a link to being left handed?  Let me know...  Holly XXX

(P.S.  I'm told that I cross my arms in the "left handed" way - i.e. my right hand goes under my left arm, while my left hand goes over my right arm.  I've tried to do it the other way round, and it's almost impossible to do!)

57 Replies
19 Replies
Lady
(@harriette)

Famed Member     Toronto, Ontario, Canada

@hottestwitch Sinistrous means ill-omened; unlucky; disastrous. Sinistral refers to left (the Devil 's side).

My father was left-handed, so am I (out of 3 children), so is our only child, so I lean to the genetic side. The science behind it is interesting, too, if anyone cares to dig into that.

In my first experience in public school, I remember a teacher trying to change my dominant hand, at least with a pencil. How did that work out, Teach? 😄

I have occasionally found a few things are dominant on my right side, such as shooting a pistol in a video game, but writing is inaccurate with my right hand. With my left hand, my script can lean a fair bit to the opposite of a rightie's. My check marks are the mirror image of normal, too. I just said to hell with it and flipped them.

However, the most important aspect of sidedness, to me, is whether the more artistic side of left-handed crossdressers shows up in our art.

Does it?

Duchess
(@ladydanica)

Trusted Member     Nashville Area , Tennessee, United States of America

To funny Holly..😂 I AM left handed, however I throw and bat and golf right-handed. Somewhat ambidextrous depending on the situation. I actually tried crossing my arms normally, and like you, left arm under right, and left hand up and over bicep. Tried it the other way, and geez, I actually had to contentiously think about how to do it. 🤗 On a side note, I've heard that left-handers are closer to Perfection, as back in Jesus days most wrote in GREEK, and to do that, it makes more sense to write from right to left. Just sayin'!❤️🤗

Lady
(@sunnyday)

Eminent Member     Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

@ladydanica - I'm a bit like you. For fine control I'm left handed - e.g. writing, doing something fiddly. For some strength things I'm right handed - e.g. cricket, throwing, golf (tennis is left). For one or two things I have to try to see which is best - even if I've done something before.

Lady
(@harriette)

@hottestwitch Interesting.

The percentage of us being left-handed is spot on for such a small poll: 11.6% vs about 11%.

The number who claim to be ambidextrous is off the chart, though: 15.1% vs <1%! What's up with that?

Lady
(@sunnyday)

Eminent Member     Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

@harriette - I think it depends on how we interpret the meaning of ambidextrous. People who can write just as well with their left or right hand - probably not many. People who do some things with their left hand and others with their right - probably a lot more.

Lady
(@harriette)

@sunnyday And then there is bimanual simultaneous handwriting.

I've never tried because one of them would be unlegible.

Lady
(@candycross)

Estimable Member     Queensland, Australia

@hottestwitch hi, l am left handed and so was my mother. Back when she was a child they made left handed children Wright with their right hand.

There a few things l do as a right hander, eating for example. On the computer I use the mouse with me right hand .

(@blueeyedbimbo)

Trusted Member     Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom

@candycross Hi, you are the same as me I think we were told to conform. Years ago children developed a stamma if they were forced to use their right hands. Still as a lefty I am proud to be one.

Lady
(@candycross)

@blueeyedbimbo when l was a child in australia they didn't make me use my right hand however they did make my mother when she was a child in the 30s. However her writing was so bad you needed an interpreter to read her writing.

(@blueeyedbimbo)

@candycross I can see that as I mentioned before those old ink pens the school supplied always scratched the paper as the nibs were the wrong way round for a left hander. Also lefties would turn the paper sideways and write towards them, something I did all through school.

Lady
(@candycross)

@blueeyedbimbo yes when l wrote my hand would smudge across what l had written and l always had lots of ink on the underside of my left hand

(@blueeyedbimbo)

@candycross I well remember inky hands Jane, it always managed to get on my clothes in the end lol.

Lady
(@candycross)

@blueeyedbimbo I used to get in trouble from the teacher as my work ended up so messy, they are great days to remember though

(@blueeyedbimbo)

@candycross Yes they caned us then I think, I was good girl most of the time lol.

Lady
(@candycross)

@blueeyedbimbo that's the funny thing though l was born in 1962 in Melbourne and my wife's ex was born in 1963 in country new south Wales. He was caned at school and yet in Melbourne the cane was no longer used, l am glad as l did get the strap once, so l guess l was a very naughty girl

(@blueeyedbimbo)

@candycross Possibly out in the country they are slightly behind city schools. I was caned once in primary school and resolved never to get it again.

Lady
(@harriette)

@candycross Since you mentioned switching sides, I also noticed your ID.

As an aside, the en femme name of Chris Cross popped into my head. An imagination is a terrible thing to waste. 🤪

Lady
(@candycross)

@harriette yes imagination is very important but only if used Smile

(@blueeyedbimbo)

@harriette I like the switching sides bit which is what we do now lol.

Duchess
(@michellemybell)
Honorable Member     Clearwater, Florida, United States of America

It would be an interesting poll to see what percent of the ladies here are left handed.  I am guilty as charged.  My guess is significantly higher than the average. 

1 Reply
(@aliceunderwire)

Illustrious Member     Near Burlington, Vermont, United States of America

@michellemybell Hi Michelle,  I’ve seen commentary that in the US about 10% are lefties.

Alice

J J
Lady
(@jjandme)
Noble Member     California, United States of America

Sinister is from Latin meaning "on the left side", but has been assocoated with evil hence the modern use of sinister, and way nuns literally tried to beat it out of students.

It is true that about 10% of the population is left handed, but the M/F split is questionable. One repprt shows left handed women is 1-2% lower then men. There is a genetic component as there aee for many of the right/left brain functions, but it is lilely due to many different genetic loci.

2 Replies
Duchess
(@michellemybell)

Honorable Member     Clearwater, Florida, United States of America

@jjandme When I was a baby my grandmother provided daycare and thought that being left handed was the mark of the devil.  She would always move my bottle from my left hand to the right and I would then toss it.  To this day I do everything left handed except throwing.

(@rebeccabaxter)

Prominent Member     Cornwall, United Kingdom

Posted by: @jjandme

Sinister is from Latin meaning "on the left side", but has been assocoated with evil hence the modern use of sinister, and way nuns literally tried to beat it out of students.

It is true that about 10% of the population is left handed, but the M/F split is questionable. One repprt shows left handed women is 1-2% lower then men. There is a genetic component as there aee for many of the right/left brain functions, but it is lilely due to many different genetic loci.

And also from Latin we have dexter, meaning the right side and from which we get the word dextrous. I think we can assume that right-handedness has been the prevailing side at least since Roman times, perhaps forever. Might be interesting to find out if Neanderthals and early humans also tended towards the right.

Actually, I've just looked it up and it seems from what few records we have of Neanderthals, that they were mostly right-handed to about the same percentage as modern humans. 

We may also get the word 'deft' meaning skilled, from dextrous, but as far as I can see, the link is tenuous and is more likely from old Germanic or Norse.

Also meaning skilled is the word 'adroit' and you will note that the French word for 'right' is droit. The French for left is 'gauche', a word that is used in English to indicate that someone is awkward and uncomfortable with other people.

In general then, history would indicate that left-handed people are useless and weird and right-handed people are clever and skilled, but it is more likely I think, that it's just that the majority rules in this matter and there is no real difference. I don't think one could argue that there are also skilled lefties and idiot righties.

I love words.

Hostess
(@ab123)
Famed Member     Surrey, United Kingdom

i put right handed. Although you missed my preferred character - Cack handed. ( an English term and if it doesn't translate try Butterfingers)

3 Replies
Lady
(@michaela2001)

Prominent Member     Goldsboro, North Carolina, United States of America

@ab123 also colloquially known as cackyhanded.  😄.

Where I  live now, they call left handers, South Paws. 

Lady
(@annaredhead)

Reputable Member     Cornwall, United Kingdom

@ab123 that is derived from Welsh

Lady
(@hottestwitch)

@ab123 My second attempt at replying to this one - the problem was that I tried to do it left handed first time out and (predictably) I failed miserably!  In my own beautiful city of Leicester, the usual term is Caggy; my mother always reckoned that when she was young she would always be punished (usually with a ruler to the back of the hand) if she ever tried to do anything left handed.  Thankfully, those days are now long gone and my son is able to do everything left handed... I just wish his handwriting was not quite so horrendous!  I've been trying to do a few basic things left handed for a few months now; the only thing I've managed to do (but it still takes me twice as long) is to tie my shoelaces... which keep coming undone (they don't if I do it right handed.)  All in all, it looks like statistically speaking, we are no different than the general population (11% caggy on the poll when I looked); now - I'm going to spend a couple of hours trying to cross my arms the wrong way and be able to do it without having to spend at least a minute working out how to sort that!  Love you all:  Holly XXX

Duchess Annual
(@firefly)
Noble Member     Panama, Panama, Panama

Lefties or righties. In Spanish: Zurdos o derechos. Siniestros o diestros.

Gisela. 

2 Replies
Lady
(@margprodue)

Noble Member     Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America

@firefly   Si !  Marg

Lady
(@hottestwitch)

@firefly Chose this one to respond to as it seemed the most apposite:  the terminology comes from Latin.  Right:  Dexter - hence why in English we have "Dextrous" now meaning able, competent or talented.  Sinister:  same word in English, meaning untrustworthy, creepy or just plain nasty.  From what has been written elsewhere in this thread, it's plain that the general term has continued in other Romance (I don't know about Anglo-Saxon) languages.  This, unfortunately, is a throwback to a less accepting and (frankly) totally intolerant age:  I think we all know that.  It's interesting to note that the same prejudice seems to have continued in other (especially Romance?) languages where they then cross over into English - note, "Gauche" as "left" in French, has passed into English as meaning less adept, incompetent orjust plain wrong.  All in all, I think we can all accept that as a community, we are no different than anyone else - and that's been proven by the poll results!  Glory, glory CDH - and I love you all!  Holly XXX

Baroness Annual
(@secretpassions)
Noble Member     Wisconsin, United States of America

Right handed here. Although I can use a lot of tools left handed, a pen certainly isn’t one! 

Smile Laugh Lara

(@Anonymous 94622)

I'm more right handed, but there's some things I have to do left handed. When I was playing baseball/softball, I could bat either way, known as a "switch hitter," but played catcher as a right hander. I also can shoot bows and long rifles right handed, but am left handed for small arms, something I learned in the Navy. Lastly, I play guitar and bass left handed (technically it's right handed), meaning the strings sit on the right side of my body. 

1 Reply
Duchess Annual
(@catgurl)

Noble Member     Marietta, Georgia, United States of America

@chloe72 

Hello Chloe,

As a Navy veteran, you may be interested in joining the International Military Veterans Group here on CDH? 

If so, I would be glad to send you an invitation to join. 

Peggy Sue

US Navy - Retired 

Lady
(@emily2day)
Trusted Member     DFW, Texas, United States of America

I'm left handed! I write and use a fork/spoon with my left hand, everything else is done right handed. I guess growing up there wasn't as many opportunities for left handed equipment so I adjusted. I'm right eyed dominant so when shooting firearms or a bow I do it right handed.

(@christineth)
Prominent Member     Brussels, Brabant, Belgium

I was left handed (and left footed - as evidence by my soccer play), but when I went to school, back in the 60’s, I was made to use my right hand.  So now whilst I have a slight preference for right-handedness, I am a bit ambidextrous - but still I am only left-footed.

Is anyone doing the stats on the replies?

Hugs

Christine

2 Replies
Lady
(@harriette)

Posted by: @christineth

Is anyone doing the stats on the replies?

This is a poll, so the results are at the top of this thread. 

(@christineth)

Prominent Member     Brussels, Brabant, Belgium

@harriette silly me!  Thanks Harriette

Baroness Annual
(@delaware)
Honorable Member     los angeles, ca, United States of America

Hi Holly .......I'm a Leftie ..................and for fun .............I practice writing with my Right ...........the writing .......appears more like a school girl ...........very cursive............sometimes I write backwards with my Left hand ...........takes concentration to visualize and control .............it seems to llike a mental exercise...... can kind of ....feel .....the "gears" in my brain ...."working" .......I like to write ..secret stuff ......backwards ..........when writing girlie stuff in say a journal I write with my Right because it has that school girlie appearence......with doodles of flowers .....dog faces .................crazy huh?   karley

Hostess
(@misssamantha)
Estimable Member     Bromley, London, United Kingdom

I love this question.

As some who has a neuro degenerative illness I have been curious about genetics and what make us, well us.

I am a "righty" although lately, I have been doing tasks with my left hand to see the differences. Opening a small can of tuna turned out to be a little messy. I brush my teeth with both hands, so that is something I am down with.

Not sure if this is true but doing daily tasks with your non-dominant hand helps the brain grown as in cognative functions. 

One thing I will not do is put on makeup with my left hand, especially mascara, I like my eyes exactly where they are Laugh Cry  

Duchess
(@karla1958)
Honorable Member     Not in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America

I'm a righty and whenever I've had an injury of some sort on my right hand, I find it practically impossible to do anything with my left hand. 

Perhaps I should take some inspiration from my brother in law.  A few years ago, he literally taught himself to write with his left hand.  The down side is that he has become obsessed with left handed things.  Even watching a TV show he will SUDDENLY point out that someone in the scene is left handed.  He wants everyone to know which then leads him into a discussion about left handed people that we've heard many times.  Now the scene/TV show is ruined.

Lady
(@annaredhead)
Reputable Member     Cornwall, United Kingdom

I'm right handed. A few years back I had a serious injury of my right arm. I had to learn to use my left hand for most things - I didn't master shaving left-handed but got on ok with everything else. This was long before I wore makeup, but I do paint and did manage to paint left-handed

1 Reply
(@blueeyedbimbo)

@annaredhead Hi, i am having my beard removed but it will take a while lol. xxx

Baroness Annual
(@finallyfiona)
Noble Member     Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

Another righty here 🙂  My stronger arm is actually my left - possibly due to me having broken my right arm twice during my childhood.  So I tend to hold things in my left to do things to them with my right, I'm not sure if it works the same way for everyone?  When I was in plaster with the broken bones and was forced to write with my left, I never really did get it that good, but some of my school artwork was the best I'd done at that point.  Left eye dominant, couldn't tell you about feet because I never did enough football, but they're both lefties where dancing is concerned 🤣 

Lady
(@dianep)
Trusted Member     Burns Flat, Oklahoma, United States of America

I'm left handed, the only one of 5 children. In fact last time I knew there was only me and a nephew a year older than me that are left handed. That was 40 years ago though, so it's possible that several of my nephews and nieces have had left handed children since then.

Interestingly enough I went through elementary school in the 60's, like a few other respondents, but no teachers tried to force me to use my right hand.

2 Replies
Lady
(@candycross)

@dianep I am left and the only other family members that are left handed are mum and my sister in law

(@blueeyedbimbo)

@dianep I think it was the 50s and earlier before we were left alone ( pardon the pun lol ).

Page 1 / 2
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?