Measuring yourself

14 Posts
11 Users
7 Thanks
Lady
Topic starter
(@dave3pratt)
Active Member     Alabama, United States of America

Hello. My name is Dave Prisci. I've been cross dressing for years, and have gone out in pull-ups and blouses. But I've yet to buy a pantie/bra set that fits. I've looked all over the internet trying to figure out how to measure myself. I'm too scared to just ask the clerk at Wal Mart. I hope that I found the right site and someone will explain this to me. thankx

13 Replies
Duchess
(@flatlander48)
Noble Member     Cathedral City, California, United States of America

https://www.herroom.com/bra-size-calculator

Note that Tape Measure refers to cloth ones, not steel ones. Also, this is intended for people who were Assigned Female At Birth meaning those who have breasts. You will have improvise a bit.

https://www.herroom.com/how-to-measure-hips-for-pantie s"> https://www.herroom.com/how-to-measure-hips-for-panties

Managing Ambassador
(@emilyalt)
Famed Member     North County San Diego, California, United States of America

Welcome to CDH Dave!

Herroom is good.  Another good one is A Bra That Fits.

https://abrathatfits.org/calculator.php

As DeeAnn said, there's some trial and error with lingerie fitting.  That's even more true when you throw a pair of breast forms into the equation.

/EA

Baroness Annual
(@jessiannefl)
Eminent Member     Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States of America

First off, you'll need a tape measure. Joann is probably the easiest to order online from. The cost varies from about $2.00 up to 4 or 5 dollars. Holding the 0 end at the center of your chest just below your breasts (or where they would be) you measure around. Where the number on the tape measure intersects the zero is the underbust measurement. Make sure the tape is snug, not twisted, and parallel to the floor. tape measure search
From here you can go to any number of breast form stores or if you already have forms then look them up on the manufacturers site. I used a triangular silicone form from the breast form store. I wear Amoena, but their sizing seems similar. For my size they recommend an 8 for a C-cup, but with the development I have (ie - fat) I find that a 7 fills a C-cup quite adequately. Breast form store triangular forms The link to the fitting chart is just above where you select your size.

(@aliceunderwire)
Illustrious Member     Near Burlington, Vermont, United States of America

Hi Dave,

Welcome to CDH.  You could try a bra and panty Set but your top is likely to be larger than your hips/waist.  So separates might work best

Alice

Duchess
(@missylinda)
Prominent Member     Ft Worth, Texas, United States of America

Agree with Alice, best to buy bra,panty separate.  The doesn’t mean they can’t match if you like ( I do).  Jessica seems to have the bra sizing covered.  I would add that more up scale bra stores offer free bra sizing even for us.  It takes research to find the friendly ones, but they are out there.

As to panties, women have more around the hips and tush area, so often if you buy briefs that fit  the waist, they may seem baggy in the rear.  Waists are elastic so that helps.  I would be a comfortable size 8, but wear a 7 to be tight across the seat.  If briefs or thongs don’t work, tap pants are the answer.  They are flare legged and don’t hug the hips or tush.  HAPPY SHOPPING!

J J
Lady
(@jjandme)
Noble Member     California, United States of America

I know you say you are nervous, but going to a store like VS or Soma Intimates is not a big deal and they help customers like us all the time. Just have a glass of time to relax and walk into VS or SI and ask for a bra fitting. You will not regret it, and I assure you it will.actually be fun. The hardest part is asking, but once you get a pleasant smile from the SA and you are led back to a fitting room all those nerves disappear and it just gets to be more. and more fun.

Duchess
(@aprilcdmf)
Prominent Member     Nevada, United States of America

Hello Dave welcome to CDH I am glad you have shared a part of who you are. Having found us you have made the step to become part of a family that is welcoming, understanding, compassionate, and supportive. While we are all similar and have many of the same desires we all differ on our goals or levels of closeted dressing or underdressing or public expression and or personal experiences. I encourage you to explore the many forums, topics, polls and member biographies found here as there are a wide range of members all over the spectrum of feminine expression from differing levels of crossdressing to those on the path to transition and those that have. There are also links to websites that have products and services that may help you on your own personal path of self acceptance and expression. Ultimately it is a place, home, or space were you can feel feel comfortable and confident in who you are that you are not alone and this is a place where you can feel safe to express and share part of yourself as being who you truly are as your authentic self of you being a man, a woman, a man who dresses as a woman, if it makes you a better complete human being expressing your feminine desires feelings and or qualities. I am happy you are here and have made a choice to accept this part of yourself as self acceptance is the most important thing you can do for yourself and others. You can’t expect others to accept you if you don’t accept yourself all of you. For some it means remaining private for some telling a select few ultimately you have to do whats best for your own situation and you ultimately know best. I appreciate you are sharing a part of your authentic self here on CDH it ultimately lifts some of the burden that you may be feeling which many of us have carried for what seems like a lifetime you are not alone. Being here helps not only yourself but helps others gain acceptance and confidence in themselves. I am happy you have made the step to be here. Welcome!

Hugs April

Ambassador
(@ellyd22)
Famed Member     Norfolk, United Kingdom

Hey Dave

I'm not sure if this adds materially to what's already been said by way of reply, but here goes. It's a summary of advice that I've collated from various sources 🙂

What you're after is a combination of your band size and your cup size.

Determine your band size. As Jessica says, use a cloth measuring tape just below your breasts and above your rib cage. You want to know a measurement in inches - 34”, 36”, 38” and so on. If the measurement that you get is an odd number, round up to the next even number.

Determine your cup size. Again using the cloth measuring tape, measure around the fullest part of the bust, then round up by one inch. Now you want to know the difference between this measurement and your band width. Every one inch difference is one cup size; a one inch difference is an A cup, two inches is a B cup, three inches is a C, four inches is a D, five inches is a DD and six inches is a DDD. As an example, if your band width is 34 but the measurement across your bust area is 37 then there is a 3” difference and your bra size is a 34C.

Of course, as crossdressers we have the luxury of deciding what cup size we want, but it's best to go for something that's proportional to your height and build.

Measuring isn't foolproof, but it’s a good start in determining your correct bra size 🙂

As others have said, the best thing to do is to get a proper in-store bra fitting, but if you've ordered online (make sure it's from somewhere with free returns) then you should check the following to ensure that your bra will fit comfortably:

The straps should be firm around the body when they are on the loosest setting. This way, as the elastic begins to wear out during the lifetime of the bra, it can be tightened easily.

You should be able to fit one or two fingers easily under the bra band.

The bra band should fit horizontally around the rib cage.

If you are wearing an underwire bra, then the underwire itself should lie flat against your body.

Your breasts should be fully enclosed in the cup; they should not spill out over the cup (too large), nor should there be wrinkling of the fabric in the cup itself (too small) as this will easily show through your outer clothes.

If you wear breast forms in a standard bra then you may find that they move around, and can even slip out entirely when you bend over. You can try glue, but that doesn’t always feel particularly wonderful. The problem can be solved by buying pocket bras, which are designed specifically to hold silicon inserts. There are some very pretty ones on the market, so you won’t be limiting yourself at all. BIMEI is a great brand.

I know that some girls wear foam inserts rather than silicon ones when they're out and about; being lighter, they're less likely to be affected by gravity and cause an unfortunate mishap.

Hope that helps 🙂

Hugs

Ellie x

(@heels234)
Honorable Member     Mesa, Arizona, United States of America

Hello Dave ,its Michelle. Find a Soma store near you and call beforehand for an appointment for a fitting.Dont worry,they fit men too.Please be honest and explain yourself and you may just have fun and Dave ,no disrespect meant,please buy something. Sincerely Michelle.

(@bridgettjon)
Active Member     Dallas, Texas, United States of America

Wow what I now know that I wished I could have known about thirty years ago about sizing bras, could fill reams of paper. Naw just kidding but it take a while for me to unravel the mystery.

When I first started dressing about the only place one could find a company called old Pueblo traders was the only place where you purchase breast forms, if you could afford them. Side note they were also the last sellers of exclusive lingerie and foundation garments. If some of you remember that mail order company, please share your experience.

So anyway I bought my first forms from them and they were very nice and a harbinger of things to come. Just short of three hundred dollars which was a lot for a set that measured somewhere between DD, E and G. I had the hardest time finding a bra that would completely fill my cups, without having a professional fitting. However I was lucky enough to find a double mastectomy, bra with pocket large enough to hold my girls in place. I did end up buying a couple from them. They serve the purpose very nicely but the adjustment tabs were in the back and it made for a dead giveaway  you are wearing a bra underneath. I was kool with it while dressed but otherwise it was a dealbreaker. Thus started my bra collection trying to find bras in that size with front adjustable straps. I had tried just about every brand of bra and cup sizes I hope of finding the perfect coverage suitable support and finely the bounce effect that moves the way the body moves. Oh joy it was too finely stopped buying so many bras in the blind and hoping they would be just good enough from keeping you from spilling out at some unexpected point in time.
I found that Playtex brands offer a lot of different options in foundation support for your whole body from head to toe. So I fell headfirst into there 18 hour lingerie line. I was just lucky enough to find some of their iconic pieces garments before they discontinued and totally disappeared from the market place.
Playtex was one of the first companies to make very feminine G cups with soft accents, despite the strap adjustments on the back became my go to for many years.

After much self examination and discovery I found that those forms weren’t providing much of what I needed in the way size. So I decided to go bigger to match my body shape and weight. I found exactly what I needed in the way of full silicon breast forms; each weighing about a 3600 grams. They felt perfect and had bounce that I longing for so long. They did what real breast would do. Ah what a boost they gave along complete control and confidence. I was no longer a tall flat chested woman but now a fully functioning figured woman with beautiful curves.

Wow what I now know that I wished I could have known about thirty years ago about sizing bras, could fill reams of paper. Naw just kidding but it take a while for me to unravel the mystery.

When I first started dressing about the only place one could find a company called old Pueblo traders was the only place where you purchase breast forms, if you could afford them. Side note they were also the last sellers of exclusive lingerie and foundation garments. If some of you remember that mail order company, please share your experience.

So anyway I bought my first forms from them and they were very nice and a harbinger of things to come. Just short of three hundred dollars which was a lot for a set that measured somewhere between DD, E and G. I had the hardest time finding a bra that would completely fill my cups, without having a professional fitting. However I was lucky enough to find a double mastectomy, bra with pocket large enough to hold my girls in place. I did end up buying a couple from them. They serve the purpose very nicely but the adjustment tabs were in the back and it made for a dead giveaway  you are wearing a bra underneath. I was kool with it while dressed but otherwise it was a dealbreaker. Thus started my bra collection trying to find bras in that size with front adjustable straps. I had tried just about every brand of bra and cup sizes I hope of finding the perfect coverage suitable support and finely the bounce effect that moves the way the body moves. Oh joy it was too finely stopped buying so many bras in the blind and hoping they would be just good enough from keeping you from spilling out at some unexpected point in time.
I found that Playtex brands offer a lot of different options in foundation support for your whole body from head to toe. So I fell headfirst into there 18 hour lingerie line. I was just lucky enough to find some of their iconic pieces garments before they discontinued and totally disappeared from the market place.
Playtex was one of the first companies to make very feminine G cups with soft accents, despite the strap adjustments on the back became my go to for many years.

After much self examination and discovery I found that those forms weren’t providing much of what I needed in the way size. So I decided to go bigger to match my body shape and weight. I found exactly what I needed in the way of full silicon breast forms; each weighing about a 3600 grams. They felt perfect and had bounce that I longing for so long. They did what real breast would do. Ah what a boost they gave along complete control and confidence. I was no longer a tall flat chested woman but now a fully functioning figured woman with beautiful curves. 

Once again I’m off on the search of a bra to support these beauties. My was telling me about an aunt of hers who thin and was 40 J  and I really reminded me of her.  We broke out the tape and done the customary tradition of measuring all of the known areas for the magic calculations. We did everything according and final measurements of 39 band and 10 over par!

So mean while I struggled embarrassingly trying put size J in G cup bra’s for a very long time.

Everything else was right but I every time I got dressed, I had the uniboob effect. I’ve seen that before with a lot women and became even more conscious of it because I too was one of those women too. At least with cis women they have the option of maybe showing me cleavage but with silicon breast that wasn’t an option available to me. On day work I noticed one of women there who was extremely gifted in that department. We packing a lot boxes and noticed her making a few adjustments to her clothing as not to spill out the top. She was wearing on of the biggest bra I had ever seen on person with plenty of support and totally comfortable and most importantly it fit very feminine. It had beautiful side bonning and slings in sewing into the cup and back hooks of a short long line bra. Nice I thought, exactly what I wanted and needed. She total control of movement but some super support. We continue to pack boxes because of the amount bending over and back and forth from time to some amount adjusting followed. She was standing with her back facing me and I had moment that I had waiting for, to count how many rows of hooks were on her bra, I continued five and recounted them again just to make sure that I counting correctly.

My gosh, I’ve never known or seen a normal bra with five rows of hooks before until that day. I’ve owned several open bottoms all in one made for smaller sizes bodies and long lines with seven and nine rows of hooks, but this was a first.

On day I was on vacation and decided to find the elegant bra that captured my imagination.

Day one I shopped every department store and women’s specialty stores only to be disappointed. However one of ladies suggested that I could possibly go to the women’s health clinic because they support whom had reconstructive surgery and carries prosthetics devices. It turns out that was the best advice I received because I was able to get professionally taped and fitted there. I felt kind of weird at first. The receptionist was very likable and very accepting, something that I wasn’t expecting. I was offered refreshments in a public resting area. It was of few times in my life experience a place where I wasn’t left feeling alone and out of place. The longer I sat the more comfortable I felt and a lot less anxious.

When it was my turn, I explained that I needed to have a full fitting done and left it at that.  “Sure not a problem I’m here to help you if I can.” Those few words were music to my ears. I was given a dressing room and make yourself comfortable and I’ll see you in a few minutes need anything just let me. Guys I was all over myself because somebody saw me as a person a human being for once. Probably will go down as one of the best experiences I’ve ever had out in public, much less of something of this magnitude.  If you have ever been treated well dressed you will definitely know where I’m coming from.

Now we’re standing in front of a mirror in the background I hear her rubbing her hands together, she said that her hands are always cold to the touch just like to give you a little warning in advance. Now only in my ill fitting bra and bulging 10 inch prosthetic sprawling out of place. “ I see you cups has definitely has run over my dear, I said like out into the street. We both had a laugh. After each measurement she recorded those magic numbers. She said my dear you are very big girl and I doubt if we have any bras that size but I do have a couple things or options you might like to see. Minutes with smaller prosthetics and bras with pockets to keep things in place.  The prosthetic were the expensive, like eight hundred bucks! That’s a fourth of what I paid for mine back in the day. Aw they magnificent, nicely teardrop shaped, and best of all my skin color a beautiful shade of pean tan! Back in those early days If I had the cash I would have bought them. But I told her about the bra a coworker was wearing and that was very top heavy, the wider straps, the adjustment were in the front, extra side boneing and five rows of hooks in the back was what I really had on hart and in my mind. She went for a bit while removing my things you know it was the very first time I’d ever taken a real good at myself in the mirror and immediately recognized that person in the mirror was truly me. I looked at myself as if it would be the last time I ever would see myself again.

Upon her return, gave a slip paper with the word Elila written on it. She told me that this company specifically makes bras for heavy breasted women, from E to M with five or six rows hooks that would take all of my problems.

Up on leaving the clinic, I thanked her for being so kind to me, I thanked taking my measurements and be a professional about the procedure. I explained and expressed how nice was to be treated well and valued, wished that the rest of world could follow her example of service to others and what a beautiful world it would be. She says you know, with cutesy smile “Your not the first person to come to us for helped, in fact we’ve helped few like yourself.” We exchanged good byes and best wishes.

I left the clinic with two things that day, leaning that I can actually achieve the almost impossible by taking a chance and trusting someone and there’s some absolutely amazing and wonderful people willing help.

Few weeks later after searching the internet before googling, yes we did that back then.

I found it, the Elila 1305 size 42J it on the outside it looks pretty typical of someone who needs that extra something. Best bra ever.

My best friend says it’s looking like something short of a blacksmith’s bad bra day.  I reply with the biggest smile it’s takes one to know one to design something with so comfy and started banging away on my anvil! 

(@bridgettjon)

Thanks Dave

it was bit long but it a amazing day

(@bridgettjon)

Yes yes trial and error is an understatement. But I definitely had fun trying to figure it all out.

who knows maybe some day I go small again because I have got a few errors to fill those trials

Lady
Topic starter
(@dave3pratt)
Active Member     Alabama, United States of America

I want to thank everyone for their advice. For anyone else with this problem, here is a very helpful site: https://www.victoriassecret.com/us/vs/lingerie/fit-calculator. The only thing you need, as mentioned already, is to get a measuring tape. 

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?