This is the conclusion of research done by two PhD students at the university of Oregon, who spent years studying transgender issues. They explored the issues of discrimination in the workplace and transphobia that many in the transgendered community experience. They also lament the lack of qualified counselors available for the transgendered.
I think it’s wonderful that more and more researchers are devoting time to transgendered studies. When more people examine and question pre-conceived notions they advance the state of the art in our understanding. I think this can only be a win for the transgender community, as the medical profession gains a better understanding of who we are, why we are transgendered and how best to ensure we live healthy fulfilled lives.
I poked around the Internet some, and found a few valuable resources. Naturally wikipedia has a great article, I even found an article by our local Seattle and King County health department addressing transgender health as well as this great site which covers many issues transsexuals face. If you’re confused about where on the gender spectrum you fall, this gender test is a good place to start. It will give you some thoughts, and hopefully encourage you to seek counseling if you struggle with your gender identity.
More Articles by Vanessa Law
- Win a Free Makeup Prize Bundle from Jecca Blac
- A Few Changes in Our Family
- I Want to Live Like That
- Hope in Despair, Light through the Darkness
- Scholar Program – Transwomen’s Social Support for Medication Adherence
Latest posts by Vanessa Law (see all)
- Win a Free Makeup Prize Bundle from Jecca Blac - March 11, 2022
- A Few Changes in Our Family - April 15, 2021
- I Want to Live Like That - August 29, 2020
- Hope in Despair, Light through the Darkness - March 22, 2020
- Scholar Program – Transwomen’s Social Support for Medication Adherence - April 6, 2019