Hi Tara you and I are probably around the same age.Danny !a Rue was the first bona ficd female impersonator I ever saw.Saw him for the first time on tv show on ITV (in the UK) in an episode of a documentary show.It was screened on a Sunday afternoon in the mid sixties.It strikes me as an odd timeslot for such a show with the benefit of hindsight.I remember viewing him with a mjxture of fascination/ envy and embarassment.Embarassment because I was watching it with my mum and dad.A couple of years later he was a regular fixture on tv variety shows.I once saw him on one show impersonating Shirley Basssy doing a parody of Big Spender wih the hook line Big Suspenders”. Roughly around the same peeiod I saw him played the lead role in a BBC tv adaptation of Charley’s Aunt.Prior to that the only men in the media I saw dressed az women were comedians like Benny Hill and a veteran comic called George Lacey playing dame in a panto with Mike And Bernie Winters.In the mid seventies as a teen I was fascinated and somewhat envious of seeing Jim Bailey in a variety show doing Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand.i am sure I heard him say in an interview that he started performing in dtag at the age of fourteen.But not entirely sure.His showbiz CV was not exlusively drag he was also an opera singer.I liked his guest appearance on Lucille Ball’s last major sitcom Here’s Lucy when he appeared in the guise of Phyllis Diller.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?