I’ve posted this before but I’ll post it again here as I’m sure it’s buried in the forum somewhere. Here is my shaving method:
1. exfoliate everywhere you want shave this releases the dead skin cells which can clog your follicles.
2. use a sharp clean razor, I use a mens gillette Mach 3 it works well on the nooks and cranny’s for me, but it really doesn’t matter much as I’ve used several different kinds.
3. I soak in the tub while I shave and use aveeno shave cream mixed with a little hair conditioner. The main thing you want to do regardless of razor or shave cream is reduce the friction of the razor on the skin. I also ad coconut oil to the bath water to help with this, and use a ice cream pail filled with water to clean the razor so I’m not soaking in hair water(gross)
3. dab or air dry, don’t rub or wipe yourself dry with a towel when you get out. Rubbing or wiping can damage the follicles and cause ingrown hairs
4. Afterwards (and I believe most important), Dab some cotton balls with rubbing alcohol and start cleaning your problem areas. Ingrown hairs are caused by a lot of things, chief among them is dirt, oil, and dead skin cells clogging your follicles. The alcohol and cottonball clean a lot of that stuff as you will see afterwards.
5. Make sure to moisturize after the alcohol.
6. use deodorant, the white chalky kind, on your problem areas. This keeps it dry and less chance of sweat or oil clogging follicles.
I’ve used this method for several years and it works great. You may still get a few ingrown hairs here or there but I have virtually eliminated them using this method. The drawback is it does take some time.