You are correct in that it is common for many CD’s to emerge in late middle age. I think there are a number of reasons why:
1. Testosterone decreases as men age resulting in other hormones playing a bigger role. It’s not necessarily that older CD’s may have low levels but everyone’s level is lower that what it used to be.
2. Children are grown and out of the house.
3. Being retired allows CD’s to quit worrying about losing their jobs if found out.
4. As we age we (hopefully) accumulate knowledge and wisdom about both ourselves and the world in general. Often this results in one being more sure of themselves and more comfortable in their decision making process.
5. And of course spouses pass on, couples get divorced and sometimes spouses stop caring about the ramifications of hubby dressing fully and/or going out.