- July 22, 2021 at 11:55 pm #521503Grace ScarlettParticipantRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 120Replies: 2824Has thanked: 10449 timesBeen thanked: 16016 times
music in general can follow your entire life story….we all have songs that remind us of so many things. Something hated by many, will be so important or special to…..maybe you!!!!!
they mean so many things to so many people. Getting together, breaking up, love, hate, life etc etc…..because it’s all been written about.
The same lyric can have a dozen different meanings to a dozen different people….but anyone that loves or enjoys music will have their favourites….is there a lyric that really applies to you…maybe cheers your heart, makes you feel sad…..
I had quite a heavy breakup from my last partner…got a bit stressful and the song ” forgiveness” by Sarah McLachlan hits it perfectly….
“And you ask for forgiveness
You’re asking too much
I have sheltered my heart in a place you can’t touch
Don’t believe when you tell me your love is real
‘Cause you don’t know much about heaven, girl
If you have to hurt…… to feel
that always strikes a chord with me…
Have you got a favourite lyric, something that has meaning for you ????
- September 14, 2021 at 9:43 am #543497Heather JamesonDuchessRegistered On: April 1, 2019Topics: 10Replies: 698Has thanked: 1430 timesBeen thanked: 2638 times
Okay break up songs. I got dumped in my senior year of high school and my anthem became J. Giel’s band, love stinks.
I love her but she loves him, sometimes in love, you just can’t win.
Turn the clock ahead thirty years or so and our youngest son gets dumped in his first year of high school, same scenario, the other guy had a car, yeah yeah, tramp. His anthem.
Puddle of Mud, She F@#$%^g Hates Me
I can’t remember all the words but the line that sticks is, she tore my feelings like I had none, she ripped them away.
Well one things for sure, boom boom, LOVE STINKS, YEAH YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- August 24, 2021 at 1:26 am #534785Val’sheril StarsongLadyRegistered On: March 3, 2019Topics: 10Replies: 383Has thanked: 264 timesBeen thanked: 866 times
“In reality perfection isn’t really what we want,
so we just throw words at the page and we call it a masterpiece
if any part of it sticks.”
-Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives: I Get By
“I know someday you’ll have a beautiful life,
I know you will be a star in somebody else’s sky
But why, why, why can’t it be, why can’t it be mine?”
-Pearl Jam: Black
- This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Val'sheril Starsong.
- August 20, 2021 at 5:28 pm #533497Angela BoothLadyRegistered On: August 1, 2020Topics: 3Replies: 263Has thanked: 337 timesBeen thanked: 1160 times
Oh gosh where do you do I start on my meaningful music list. A fun one is from back in the day from a band I doubt anyone will know, St Cecilia – Leap up and down and wave your knickers in the air’ Why that struck a chord??? It was updated to a dance anthem in 2019!
Lou Reed – Walk on the wild side’ – Naturally! And The velvet Underground – All Tomorrow Parties, later covered by Japan.
In what costume shall the poor girl wear
To all tomorrow’s parties
A hand-me-down dress from who knows where
To all tomorrow’s parties
And where will she go, and what shall she do
When midnight comes around
She’ll turn once more to Sunday’s clown and cry behind the door
Monty Python with The Lumberjack Song, for obvious reasons.
And for us girls, Bob Rivers Christmas song where he took Walking in a winter wonderland to a new level. Walking Round in Womens Underwear.
Linsey de Paul, Getting a drag.Could it be? Is it true?
Was it me? Was it you?
Because I thought you were a brother
But you turned out like my mother
And it’s getting a dragI was sure, I was wrong
But before very long
I found that I had kissed a mister
Just as pretty as a sister
And it’s getting a drag.This is music from my C.D. collection!
- August 20, 2021 at 4:21 pm #533487DonnaLadyRegistered On: January 17, 2021Topics: 127Replies: 2449Has thanked: 15477 timesBeen thanked: 8459 times
coming home from work today first time and long time hearing this song brings some memories
- August 20, 2021 at 9:52 am #533361Debra SweetLadyRegistered On: June 21, 2021Topics: 0Replies: 75Has thanked: 1129 timesBeen thanked: 329 times
For me if has to be Stormy Monday by the Allman Brothers. It’s the old T Bone Walker song. The brothers do if so good you not only hear the feeling they put into it you feel it in your soul. My all time pick me up number. Oh yes then the 4 thousand other songs I love. Thank you for listening. Debra
- August 19, 2021 at 10:24 am #533009
- August 18, 2021 at 2:21 pm #532687Heather MeganLadyRegistered On: May 15, 2020Topics: 4Replies: 58Has thanked: 194 timesBeen thanked: 264 times
A thread after my own heart. I absolutely live for music and basically consider it the soundtrack of my life. I watched a movie (about a hundred times if truth be told) called High Fidelity where the protagonist sorts his album collection autobiographically. Thats where I’m at it with these days. That said, I just live in my Spotify Discover Weekly playlist and see what new music is describing my life.
Anyways, Heather… get on with it!
Recent find of an older song by VNV Nation called Illusion that just hit on the internal struggle I feel everyday between who I feel like I am vs who the world sees me as and expects to be.
I know it’s hard to tell how mixed up you feel
Hoping what you need is behind every door
Each time you get hurt, I don’t want you to change
Because everyone has hopes, you’re human after all
The feeling sometimes wishing you were someone else
Feeling as though you never belong
This feeling is not sadness, this feeling is not joy
I truly understand, please don’t cry now<
Please don’t go, I want you to stay
I’m begging you, please, please don’t leave here
I don’t want you to hate for all the hurt that you feel
The world is just illusion trying to change you
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Heather Megan.
- August 18, 2021 at 2:46 pm #532701
- July 30, 2021 at 7:41 am #524932
- July 30, 2021 at 2:11 am #524876Val’sheril StarsongLadyRegistered On: March 3, 2019Topics: 10Replies: 383Has thanked: 264 timesBeen thanked: 866 times
Desperate times, you know everybody’s part, but your own lines you’re like to forget,
’til what you were meets what you’ve now become, grins, and says “hey, haven’t we met?”
-Bill Mallonee (Vigilantes of Love): Resplendent
Sometimes everything you ever wanted floats above
Sticking out its tongue and laughing while
Everything that anyone could ever need is down below
Waiting for you to notice
-Ben Folds:Learn to Live with What You Are (great video for this one too)
- July 30, 2021 at 1:52 am #524874Laura LovettLadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 29Replies: 1362Has thanked: 4233 timesBeen thanked: 6468 times
Just too many to mention, dahh-ling!
“I’m Coming Out” by Diana Ross
“I Am What I Am” by Gloria Gaynor
“Creep” by Radiohead
“Groove is in the Heart” by Deee-Lite
“I’m Every Woman” by Chaka Khan
“Reach For The Stars” by S Club 7
“Show Me Love” by Robin S
“Sunshine After The Rain” by Berri
“Greatest Day”, “Shine” and “Stars” by Take That
“Thank You For The Music” by ABBA
…and, curiously recently, “Supper’s Ready” by Genesis.
“… And they’ve given me a wonderful potion
‘Cause I cannot contain my emotion
And even though I’m feeling good
Something tells me I’d better activate my prayer capsule…”
That’ll do for now!
- July 29, 2021 at 1:28 pm #524648WilmaLadyRegistered On: July 24, 2021Topics: 10Replies: 142Has thanked: 761 timesBeen thanked: 545 times
My late father was a great Jim Reeves fan and long before the days of Karaoke he would “Do a turn” in his local pub and even when we moved he would sometimes sing at functions.
My Dad died about 2 years after I married.
If I hear a Jim Reeves song my eyes will mist up but if this one comes on the radio or anything I have to leave the room and bawl my eyes out.
He’ll Have to go.
Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone
Let’s pretend that we’re together all alone.
I’ll tell the man to turn the jukebox way down low.
And you can tell your friend there with you, he’ll have to go.
Whisper to me, tell me do you love me true
Or is he holding you the way I do.
Though love is blind, make up your mind
I’ve got to know.
Should I hang up or will you tell him he’ll have to go.
You can’t say the words I want to hear
While you’re with another man
Do you want me answer yes or no
Darlin’ I will understand.
- July 27, 2021 at 6:49 am #523713Charlotte WalkerDuchessRegistered On: April 18, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 440Has thanked: 1883 timesBeen thanked: 1356 times
- July 27, 2021 at 5:53 am #523699Sally DrinkwaterDuchessRegistered On: July 15, 2019Topics: 23Replies: 316Has thanked: 95 timesBeen thanked: 1243 timesThis is me………….from the greatest showman.I am not a stranger to the dark
Hide away, they say
‘Cause we don’t want your broken parts
I’ve learned to be ashamed of all my scars
Run away, they say
No one’ll love you as you areBut I won’t let them break me down to dust
I know that there’s a place for us
For we are gloriousWhen the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I’m gonna send a flood, gonna drown ’em out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I’m meant to be, this is me.
- July 24, 2021 at 8:38 pm #522256PrudenceAmbassadorRegistered On: January 7, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 231Has thanked: 923 timesBeen thanked: 890 times
I could go with Dear Prudence. But thats too easy. And after that, it gets difficult? The Ozark Mountain Daredevils?! Every day, in your Indigo eye’s, I watch the sunset but I dont see it rise. Moonlight and Stars in your Strawberry wine, you’d take the world, but you wont take the time. Ooh-hoo-hoo Jackie Blue!!! That name was on my short list, but I chose, well you know!! Hugs Scarlett, p.s. Scarlett was on my list also
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Prudence.
- July 25, 2021 at 12:14 am #522292
- July 24, 2021 at 7:52 pm #522250Caty RyanBaronessRegistered On: August 27, 2017Topics: 97Replies: 916Has thanked: 6 timesBeen thanked: 3344 times
I have four very special ones.
1/. Canadian, Richard Samuels, gifted singer/songwriter/ musician
“Hold on to your Dreams”
“Troubles long past are only worth it now,
If you make hope as real as it seems
Be true to yourself, you know what I mean,
No jewels have the value of your dreams”
Another lovely song on his Traveller CD is , “Just to see you” with the lines
“I wake up very morning just to see you, for yesterday tomorrow a lifetime, just to see you”
Back when this was released his CD’s were not available here in OZ. So I obtained “Traveller” when on a business trip in Toronto. I’m two weeks into a four week “round worlder” missing my beloved like nothing on earth, so here I was in the hotel car park in my rental car playing the CD for the first time, “Just to see you playing” with me, with tears in my eyes
Three years later we sold our company and I happily retired. Hey….. Maybe Mr Samuel’s played a big (subconscious) part in that decision.. Truth be told, I’d had enough by the time he came into my musical life, just hastened it.
The next two are special to me as I first heard them in the early stages of my current wonderful, 20 plus years relationship with my “beloved”.
Carole King, (live in concert in Melbourne with my lovely partner beside me.)
“Loving your forever”
Then our own Aussie Judith Durham
“Colours of my life”
Careful Caty, even 20 years later, these songs have been known to get some moisture in the corner of your eyes. IE like as of now!!…
Happy dressing (and listening)
PS OK that’ll do for the “top 4”.
1/. But I should also add that via my close “brother/sister” 30 plus years relationship with a lovely Canadian lady who actually knew Richard, I ended up with most of his CD’s and “Cassie” took me to see him live at The Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto. Cassie tells me his music is hardly heard these days but it has certainly left a long standing legacy in my life.
Any Canadian CDH’ers remember him and his music?? Do you still have any of his recordings?
2., No lyrics, but at this keyboard you have a broken down old 60’s/70’s rocker who grew up in the pre Beatles era of guitar instrumental groups like Hank Marvin and The Shadows in the UK and The Ventures in the US.
“The Rise and Fall of Flingel Bunt” and “Walk Dont Run” still get me going and wanting to reach for my (Australian Made!!) Maton guitars
Hey, I need to find another CD guitarist… We could then be the “NeverbeBe Sisters, (opposite to the Everley Brothers..)
- July 25, 2021 at 12:09 am #522290
- July 23, 2021 at 7:00 pm #521842Marcellette LavalBaronessRegistered On: February 1, 2021Topics: 6Replies: 179Has thanked: 490 timesBeen thanked: 890 times
From Mama Cass:
Nobody can tell you
There's only one song worth singing They may try and sell you Cause it hangs them up To see someone like you But you gotta make your own kind of music Sing your own special song Make your own kind of music Even if nobody else sings along You're gonna be nowhere The loneliest kind of lonely It may be rough going Just to do your thing is the hardest thing to do
- July 23, 2021 at 5:24 pm #521819AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
Nights in white satin Never reaching the end Letters I’ve written Never meaning to send. Beauty with these eyes I’ve seen before. Just what the truth is I can’t say anymore. But I love you. Oh I love you
Beth, that is one of my all time favorite songs!
- July 23, 2021 at 5:10 pm #521813Beth GreenLadyRegistered On: February 24, 2021Topics: 27Replies: 455Has thanked: 2406 timesBeen thanked: 2357 times
I’m a DJ, where the hell do I start?!
The first song that pops into my head is Moody Blues “Nights In White Satin”. A song about a never ending journey and life’s regrets.
Nights in white satin
Never reaching the end
Letters I’ve written
Never meaning to send.
Beauty with these eyes I’ve seen before.
Just what the truth is I can’t say anymore.
But I love you.
Oh I love you
Closing that album is the poem “Late Lament”
“Breath deep the gathering gloom.
Watchlites fade from every room.
Bedsitter people sit back and lament.
Another days useless energy spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one.
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
Young mother picks up and suckels her son.
Senior citizens wish they were young
Cold hearted orb that rules the night.
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion.
This song and poem have struck a chord with me at every turn in my life.
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Beth Green.
- July 23, 2021 at 4:41 pm #521805AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words
Killing me softly with his song
Killing me softly with his song
Telling my whole life with his words
He was strumming my pain
Yeah he was seeing my life
Killing me softly with his song
- July 23, 2021 at 3:14 pm #521777DonnaLadyRegistered On: January 17, 2021Topics: 127Replies: 2449Has thanked: 15477 timesBeen thanked: 8459 times
- July 30, 2021 at 7:38 am #524931Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 120Replies: 2824Has thanked: 10449 timesBeen thanked: 16016 times
Donna….your choice…..” Shock me all night long”…..
…..why am I not shocked!!!!!
- July 30, 2021 at 7:45 am #524936DonnaLadyRegistered On: January 17, 2021Topics: 127Replies: 2449Has thanked: 15477 timesBeen thanked: 8459 times
- September 14, 2021 at 9:34 am #543496Heather JamesonDuchessRegistered On: April 1, 2019Topics: 10Replies: 698Has thanked: 1430 timesBeen thanked: 2638 times
We had to get some ACDC in there Donna, my fave, whole lotta Rosie
Tell you a story, ’bout a woman I know, ain’t exactly pretty, ain’t exactly small, but when it comes to lovin’, she steals the show.
We saw them about 4 years ago, great show. Had a 50′ blow up doll in fishnets and heels when they did this, amazing. It was at Downsview park in Toronto just on the other side of the highway from Pearson Airport. The pilots were reporting they could hear the music when taking off and landing. Rock and roll girlfriend, if it’s too loud, your too old.
- July 30, 2021 at 1:42 am #524873
- July 23, 2021 at 8:27 am #521641Nancy GammsDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: March 1, 2017Topics: 13Replies: 222Has thanked: 37 timesBeen thanked: 575 times
- July 23, 2021 at 2:10 am #521523Bianca EverdeneLadyRegistered On: April 11, 2017Topics: 27Replies: 873Has thanked: 3539 timesBeen thanked: 3648 times
‘Is this the real life,
Is this just fantasy,
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality’
’Todays forecast calls for Blue skies’
’Go totally crazy, forget I’m a lady, men’s shirts, short skirts, go really wild, doing it in style, get in the action, feel the attraction, colour my hair, do what I dare, I wanna be free to feel the way I feel, man! I feel like a woman’
’I’m bulletproof, nothing to lose, fire away fire away, ricochet, you take your aim fire away fire away. You shoot me down but I won’t fall I am Titanium’
Oh I could go on and on🤣
Oh almost forgot you like a laugh Grace, what about the unforgettable Right Said Fred
’I’m too sexy for my cat, too sexy for my cat, poor pussycat’ what ya think about that🤣🤣
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.