• This topic has 71 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 24 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Good morning from England….I want to chat about ….water….well, I do actually live on an island!!!!

Ok, as large parts of the rest of the world are cooking as well as the U.K…..how are you keeping hydrated????

At this very moment the South West here has had its FIRST EVER hot weather warning!!!….

Sales of bottled mineral/ spring water are going through the roof. Do you partake in bottled water or are you just happy to drink from the household tap. Such exotic names as Icelandic glacial, Himalaya, Sierra springs, Volvic and Pluto water……to name a few among literally thousands, try to entice us to buy…… but wait…hang on to your panties because i’m going off on a tangent….

What about Peckham Spring???

Have you not seen ” Only fools and horses”???….what!!!!!

(Google it )…..

it was a massively popular comedy series about a ” wheeler dealer ” called Del Trotter who would buy and sell literally anything to make a quick buck.

In the episode ” mother nature’s son “….he discovers water apparently ” bubbling up ” through the ground on grandads allotment…..( It’s actually coming from an old hidden hose connected to a hidden tap )…this gives him a brainwave…….getting ” a real ” sample of mineral water  tested and verified, and believed to come from his allotment, he now has a confirmed natural spring bubbling away……in the centre of London!!!!….(luverly jubbly)….

he soon has a bottling plant set up in his high rise apartment and is selling ordinary tap water as “Peckham Spring”…..it’s fabulously funny…..

Anyway, back to the point….while I enjoy our ordinary tap water, I must admit I do like cool, mineral water and I especially like the carbonated variety. Here in England, all of our household water is treated and safe to drink, whether it is from a kitchen tap, a bathroom…..even the water that fills our toilet cisterns and flushes our toilets is fresh drinking water…..it all comes into our houses through the same pipe!!!!

Do you drink lots of water?…prefer tap or natural?….did you always drink lots before the heatwave?….or have you been converted??

Hoped you enjoyed the ramble and escaped for a few minutes….

But seriously, please remember to keep hydrated……we all know it’s good for us and we need to!!!!

…..and we also know what a prune looks like don’t we????

Keep smiling, Grace xx

Great post Grace!
      In Australia we have a brand of carbonated mineral water called Mount Franklin. This can be bought in cans, bottles, or large casks.
      I drink this all the time. I ditched all soft drinks a few years ago for health reasons.
      Stay cool everyone!!! 😅
      Love and hugs, Stephanie 💖

Good morning, sweet Grace
      Yes, its so very important to stay hydrated, and not just for the heat, but all the time.
      I have a reverse osmosis filter system, and drink from it all the time.
      Hugs, Regi👸💕

Anonymous

Yes it’s absolutely important Grace sweetie to keep hydrated during this hot weather. I drink both mains, and bottle water, but remember my beauties if your water taps are connected to a storage tank rather than the mains you shouldn’t really drink it. Oh and just a small point maybe a small dish of water for wildlife and the birds please. Lol Amanda xx

Frugal yet (hopefully) wise girl I am, I buy in bulk, namely the 5 gallons of purified water (in my own bottle of course) from the local grocery. I can probably get purer and cheaper but I do have to account for gas and time spent getting it, and since I can literally walk to the grocery… well, you do the math(s). 😛

Hi Grace

If I’m out for any length of time I simply fill my water bottle from the tap. Just back from a staycation and always took waterbottles for me and the kids when going to the beach etc. Takes seconds to do.

The water  from the tap is top quality. Maybe it’s the frugal Scot in me, but why would I pay for something I can get for free!!! Like buying air!!!  In the past I did occasionally buy bottled water and never really noticed the difference.

It’s also the best for the environment. I know the plastic bottles you buy water in are recycleable but surely better just to use one and not need to recycle in the first place. And the number of these recycleable water bottles I see in general rubbish bins when I’m out saddens me.

Work 12 hour shifts. A lot of the girls I work with have reusable water bottles which they top up from the tap. Keeping hydrated is so important for our bodies. And pure and simple water is the best to drink lots of. Good for the complexion as well, helps filter all the bad s*@t out our bodies.

I do enjoy other liquids as well🥃🍸🍺🍾but (unlike water) overindulging can have unwanted consequences🤢. A hangover is a sign our bodies are not happy🥴

❤️Bianca

Anonymous

Hi Bianca….

I would love a tap in my kitchen that filled bottles with ” other liquids “…..cool

Hi Grace I buy bottled water for convenience I do insist the grandchildren drink at least as you said Liter and half or 48OZ of water per day and that does apply to adults also. Most drinking water that comes from the tap is very safe. Bottled water is just too convenient too carry.The boys refill their empty bottles with tap water and they are off and running again. There is no question that bottled water industry makes a tremendous amount of profit and why not? They are entitled to profit as well as any other company and we certainly do not want to go down the road of government dictating profit of everything in a free enterprise system. Its is the convenience factor that has made the industry so large. Just the other day I was reminding one of the children do not forget to bring water when they were going to be out and about on their bicycle rides. He said too me do you know there has been no new water on earth since the beginning of time? Of course i said everyone knows that.[ I did not know that] !!!!!!! It is scary what we have done to our water supply .The other issue is what is the bottled water industry going to do with all these empty bottles?!!!!. They were suppose to start a recycle plan when their banned in several US towns but that just went by the wayside when everyone stopped paying attention. Grace you always seem to get my brain started in the morning. Great  topic Try to stay dry while presenting the cute a pretty side of you we all enjoy.

Luv Stephanie

Hi Grace I drink quite a bit of water as I gave up sodas and sweet drinks.

I like drinking tap water as much as possible due to all the plastic bottles being pollution.

However that bottles are conveinient.

I do have a reverse osmosis filter for drinking water just to be on the safe side .

Thanks for thinking of us .

Hugs Patty

Reverse osmosis. A great way to get really pure water. Several years ago I made those filters for a company that originally developed the process.

Beth

In my younger years I used to drink alot of pop, but barely any water.  Pretty much anything sugary like slurpees, fruit juice, and of course pop.

As I’m older now, I can’t ingest that much sugary stuff anymore.  So pretty much the only thing on the menu is water; besides the hospital wants me to drink at least 2L at day.

I’m ok with tap water, I’m not picky about whether it is bottle or tap.

Besides, drinking mostly tap water saves me a bundle on not buying stuff like juice, pop, … which means that money can be diverted to goodies for Wendy !

Ah, the mid American use of the English language….. pop. Don’t worry hun, I’m right there with you. Pop, soda, cola, even the use of Coke to describe any sugary colored flavored drink. Americans are still rebels against English domination.

Don’t worry Grace, I’m actually an Anglophile. I know people who wrote in the Queen Elizabeth in the last election.

Beth

ChloeC
      Duchess

So, I have now taken about 5 or so of those ‘longevity’ online tests where they ask all sorts of questions (not my phone or email, thank goodness) which include the usual (age/weight/etc) as well as lots of lifestyle type questions.   Each one is a little different with a range of questions and as of now they all suggest I’ll live to at least 95.

However none of them ask if I stay hydrated (they do ask how much alcohol per week I drink), and I think that’s something that should have been addressed.  They also DON’T ask how much cola beverages I drink per week (sugar free for me at least), and I think they should have asked that as there is definitely a growing concern about cola and esp. diet cola drinks and some latent maladies.

For me, I drink about 28-35 oz per day (which includes on average 6-8oz alcohol (beer), 12 oz cola, 6-8 oz mixed orange juice, 10 oz orange flavored water) which I suspect is on the low end, BUT!!! I’m also getting on  in years and practically everything I do drink seems to be a ‘diuretic to the kidneys’. I’m able to control it to some extent but I was flying across country last week and I had an inflight cola (like 6 oz) mid-flight….BIG MISTAKE. The last 1/2 hour when we started our descent and even tho I asked politely, I was in dire straits.

Now about the water I take in, I use tap water for some and filtered fridge water/ice for others. I seldom drink bottled water often saving the few bottles and filling them with tap. I’m now thinking of going to sparkling water with flavors to replace some (but not all) of the cola.

Anonymous

Hi Chloe..

I love the sparkling water, sometimes i add a dash of fruit squash..lovely with ice x

Anonymous

Hi Grace,
      And once again, I’m sorry the hot weather is causing you such discomfort. Old sand lizard that I am, the problem just doesn’t exist for me. However, a girl still needs to keep hydrated, and before my last retirement, I drank a quart of Gatorade with my lunch every day. Now, it’s tap water, iced tea for lunch, and a cold, non-alcoholic brew for supper (and a sip of Gatorade now and then).

Hugs,
      Bettylou

Anonymous

Hello Bettylou…I remember watching the Superbowl…when a couple of players used to empty the biggest tub of Gatorade over the coaches head when they won….that was a lot of Gatorade!!!!

Hope Ziggy’s on the iced tea….at least we can take out coats off!!!!

Huggs, grace 🐰

Anonymous
      Lady

Hi Grace
      I am just along the coast from you in Sussex and yes it is a challenging time in keeping hydrated.
      We keep a filter jug of tap water in the fridge and we also have a soda stream to put a bit of a fizz into it but not all the time. Don’t know how things are where you are but I can regularly get a slight whiff of the chlorination process from the tap water hence the use of the filter jug.
      Rachel

Anonymous

Hi Rachel.

No chlorine taste here for now…

…gosh, soda streams…👍👍👍

The well water at my home has to be treated due to arsenic and iron levels, can always taste the salt used in the process. Fortunately there is a great public spring that not many folks know about, only 4-5 miles away. its owner has it tested regularly, best tasting water around.i just go over twice a month with gallon jugs and stock up, although not much fun during a snowy Maine winter!

Anonymous

Kelli…water from wells…how old fashioned but how wonderful too…I bet it tastes awesome xx

There was a natural spring near where I grew up. Even before the bottle water craze there was always a line to fill jugs from the spring. Summer or winter you always had to wait your turn.

Beth

Arsenic! Nasty. Keep those bottles of spring water full!

Beth

Anonymous

Beth….how can you really upset any girl you don’t like simply with tweezers??

just give her arse a nic !!!

Anonymous

Good evening Grace I never drink just water, I do drink squash everyday and lots of Earl Grey.

I like to taste what I drink water has no taste.

Sarah

xx

Anonymous

Hi sweetie….I do like my water but I always have a couple of litre bottles of squash in my fridge….whatever the weather…I’m always flushed… haha xx

I buy a bottled water occasionally to replace the older bottle. It is good to refill your bottle from the tap but you should replace it regularly, at least monthly. Plastic bottles break down chemically and leach plastic particles and other chemicals into the contents. Small amounts but concerning.

Studies have shown that most people in modern societies have plastic particles ingested and distributed throughout the body. Even people in remote areas have plastic particles in tbem. It comes from drinking water polluted world wide with plastic.

😐

Beth

Anonymous

Wasn’t plastic meant to revolutionise the way we live????

…..yeah, RIGHT!!!!!

Remember the movie “The Graduate”? In the party scene an uncle pulls Dustin Hoffman off to the side to give him advice. He says one word. “Plastics”

Now the advice should be “Recycling”.

😐

Beth

Anonymous

As Adam Sandlers say in the waterboy that some good H2o I have a well at my house nothing like good well water to quench the thrist

Donna

Oh nothing like a nice tall glass of Ice Tea too.

Hi Grace what a wonderful topic as for staying hydrated  lots of water from my tap as where we live out in the country there is no pumped in water ,, We have a well and its fantastic water  our well is tapped into a underground river as within a few miles of me here the farmers have pivots to water there crops  its like a huge sprinkler so my water comes from the tap at about 40 degrees cold so only sometimes in summer you need ice  when you need a cold shower he he you get a cold shower  ha ha ..

Stephanie Bass

Anonymous

Hello Steph..hope you are “well’….

All you natural water babies that live off the main grid …I think that’s great…..fancy having hot and cold ” running river” !!!🤣🤣

Krissy
      Lady

The “peckham springs episode of only fools and horses is the funniest one ive ever watched! Just hope one day the rest of the world 🌎 get a chance to see the ducking and divings of del boy, dunno if Americans or anywhere else would have a character like him? 👍

Anonymous

and what’s even better????….

this time next year we’ll be millionaires!!!!      😂😂

Krissy
          Lady

Think the pocket watch episode is a brilliant one too as they do become millionaires! 👏 hugs 🤗

Anonymous

I think the fancy dress one was one of the best when they turned up as Batman and Robin at the funeral, then broke down and ended up running towards the muggers, that was brilliant.
            And the blow up dolls in the van. Lol Amanda xx

Anonymous

Both great Amanda…..

There were so many

Anonymous

Gosh Grace you are absolutely right, some fantastic writers and acting, especially from “Dave” xx

Anonymous

Anyone ever use those filtered bottles where can use any source of water and suppose to take all the bad stuff out and safe to drink.  Says can fill them with sea water and would take the salt out. and be good water.

Know many campers and hikers uses them. so they say.

Donna

Anonymous

but can they take the plastic out of sea water!!!!

Anonymous

Lol those people can if they were made to.

Stay Hydrate Grace

Hugs

Donna

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Grace, well I’m very late to the water party.  Most everything has been said by others.  But here is my take.

I can’t remember the last time I bought bottled “spring” water.  It would have been over 10 years ago.  Our tap water is just fine.  Though my wife has bought some bottled water, because she believes in having some around “just in case of a water line break”.  I guess I should check the expiry dates; pretty sure they are long past due and I am concerned about the cheap plastic bottles breaking down.  And those super cheap “value” bottles are made of the cheapest and thinnest plastics – scary just to think about it.

And don’t get me started about the heat wave.  We, in northwest Canada, have never had temperatures in the 40s but we’ve had it now.  I lived in the basement for about three weeks.  Thank goodness we are back to normal. It was 9 C this morning when I went to my dental appointment.  So much more comfortable.  And heck, even our furnace kicked on (which made my wife happy).   Anyway are cooler temperatures today are a result of my buying a new and very expensive A/C unit (which is getting installed as I’m typing).  Happy wife, happy life.   Big Hugs, Krista.

Anonymous

Hi Krista..

You could never be too late to any party that I started!!!

Glad you are getting back to normal, we have been cooking here …but thunderstorms forecast for this Saturday….here’s hoping!!

Grace xx

Grace, no one can be late to your parties…… They last forever. Just have to rest once in awhile to be able to continue. Come and go as needed but always have fun.

😁🍻

Beth

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

When I lived in New York I never thought twice about drinking tap water.  Since moving to SoCal I’ve discovered most municipal water supplies taste lousy.  It’s safe to drink but most people wouldn’t.  Sales of bottled water are big business.  Personally, I prefer sparkling mineral water.  Gerolsteiner and Pellegrino are my faves.  I drink several 750ml bottles daily.

Anonymous

Hi Emily….it’s find it amazing that we now have ” space tourists “, yet there’s still places where the water tastes lousy…….in fact there’s still places where there is NO water!!!….it’s the wonderful world we live in xx

Since I got my new American fridge with a filtered water dispenser, I haven’t touched the sink tap.  Admittedly, I add squash but I’m finding I’m drinking about 4 pints a day at the moment.

Even with the added squash, I can definitely tell the difference between the tap water and the fridge water.  On the occasions where I do have plain water (taking a tablet or something), it’s night and day.

While my kitchen was being renovated last year and I had no water facilities at all for 4 months (don’t even ask!), buying bottled water was a costly affair and even at Lidl/Aldi 95p per 2 litres bottle prices, costs ramped up very quickly so there is no way I could entertain the idea on a longer term basis.

Having just re-watched OFAH from start to finish, this episode is very recent in my memory and what an absolute classic it was!  The good old days before water meters when you could run a production conveyor belt in your flat without them being able to know your tap was running 24×7 *giggles*

Love Rachel

Anonymous

Rachel.

The fridges these days are amazing aren’t they?….

but having no water for four months….oh my….sounds like you had friends of Del boy working for you…..haha xx

Hey Grace, Tap Water for me but I have two bottles that I use. One is at the moment 1/3 full and icing up in the Freezer. It will come out tomorrow and be filled up with tap water and my second bottle will go into the Freezer to be used the next day. Also have a Cover to go around the bottle to keep it cold all day as it sits in the car while I visit customers.

Not too bad here in NZ as we are going through Winter, but in Summer the bottle does not often last the day. Sorry to hear how hot it is on the top half of the world at the moment.

Del Boy!! That takes me back. Fantastic Series and Fantastic Actor, loved him in “Open all Hours”

Anonymous

g-g-g-granville….

f-f-f-fetch a cloth!! xx

Anonymous

,, and just to stir the pot one more time, a nod to ‘Blanco Webb’ in the comedy series “Porridge”. For those who’ve never seen the show, David Jason was only in his thirties when he played the role of doddery old  Blanco, doing life in the nick for murdering his wife. “What’s funny about that?” you may ask. But my lips are sealed.

Marti xxx

Anonymous

Hi Grace

Chayeauneurf du Pape

As Del Boy would say

Anonymous

Oh Emily…..don’t start me off!!!!!

Rodney: “Del, do they call him Trigger cos he carries a gun?”

Del: “No, it’s because he looks like a horse.”

😂😂😂😂

Anonymous

Well my darlings, ( pardon the pun )…

it rained so hard for about 45 minutes at tea time last night, I had eight inch water fountains coming up through the manholes in the road outside…quite a sight…not to be confused with eight inch geysers which I believe are hot water…..

or eight inch geezers who are really dwarf “del boys” trying to do dodgy deals….🤣🤣🤣

At least i do not have to fill my bird bath….which is handy because i can still see a shark patrolling my front garden…..and even though it’s not raining now, it’s still bloody hot again!!!…

Smiles, grace ❤️❤️

Anonymous

Was that a question for me Stephanie?

Anonymous

I’m with you on this one Steph. I’m totally befuddled why tap water in the UK is considered inferior to the extent that people will pay good money for and then discard millions of debatably recyclable plastic bottles which find their way into the environment. As WC Fields might have said, “If you can fool some of the people some of the time, well that’s enough to make a good profit”.

Why not try the water test, girls? Have a blindfolded tasting – your favourite bottled water, your supermarket’s generic bottled water, and tap water. See how you get on.

Marti xxx

Anonymous

Wow….professor plumb….

amazing answer!!!

peckamo spring 💓💓💓

Hi Lisa,

Dasani is the bottled water product sold here in the US by Coca Cola.  As others have said, their business was looking for a  profit market to enter.  Hadn’t heard of the Bromate item you describe.  Thanks for sharing.

Alice

Anonymous

Lisa….

Frozen lemon slices in gin and tonic….wow, I wonder????

Anonymous

Marti….

I love it that supermarkets  sell a cheaper ” value” spring water….is it cheaper because it’s from an inferior spring??….doh!!!

Steph They can recycle them but they won’t. The cost of recycling them is much more than making new one’s from raw material. I hate to say this but it just time for our governments to step in and making mandatory that a small percentage  of bottles being produced have to be made of recycled bottles. I see no other solution. The bottled water industry is huge and do have the money to send lobbyist to Washington and London to per swede those in power NOT create any new laws to enforce recycling. Like so many issues that are near and dear to our hearts like TG/CD issues we have to get involved even if its from our home computer while we are feeling cute and pretty. Sorry for rambling Grace got my brain started. I thought the same thing about dinosaurs ewwww

Stephanie

Anonymous

Imagine if Earth’s population like the water is continually re cycled!!!….some of us could be dinosaurs….

Graceratops!!!!????

If walking in the hills I fill from the streams high up too, and pop in a water purifying tablet. The kids have to do it on DofE expeditions, so I picked up the habit. Tastes a bit chemically but at least I know it kills any bad bacteria lurking from dead stuff upstream.

Well done rescuing the girls, bet they were glad you came along. Lots of people underestimate the remoteness of the Scottish highlands. Remember I read somewhere about a post from disgruntled tourists disappointed there were no ‘facilities’ at the top of Ben Nevis like they have on Snowdon🤣

❤️Bianca

Anonymous

Apologies accepted Stephanie, I must admit I had to lay down for a while, it was a complete shock to be reminded. I had to have a couple of vodkas to recover from the flash backs and panic attacks.

Ooo, whisky. Not good for hydration but good for the spirit. Wonderful that you can distill your own Scottish tasty.

Beth

Having worked in the reverse osmosis business several years ago I can say that the water is equally as “flat” as distilled depending on adjusted pH.

An interesting quirk of RO is it’s agressive nature. RO machines are built using PVC, stainless steel and other plastcs in the plumbing. Over time the agressive nature of RO will degrade plumbing connections in the plastic sections attacking the adhesive and even neoprene o-rings. But most surprising is that RO attacks, pits, degrades and even “rusts” stainless steel. It takes time and a high volume of water treated to cause the problem but it does occur. We occasionally got older units returned to us for repair of pinhole leaks or failing plumbing.

RO water is extremely clean, depending on the type of system and the amount of pre and post treatment it can be up to 99.98% pure. But I was always concerned about it’s aggressivity when consumed. At the plant we never drank water from the machines but only from the drinking fountains, although that water was RO filtered also.

I don’t know if these problems still exist today but RO is the best way to remove contaminates, desalinate and purify water

💧

Beth

It does change the taste somewhat Stephanie, in that it tastes cleaner, no chemical of any kind, and thankfully, to Beth’s point, a single dwelling system isnt aggressive enough(I hope) to cause the damage she points out.
      I have had no issues so far, anyway, and I have had my system about 10-12 yrs.
      Hugs, Regi👸💕

I also agree. While they’re at it, why not mandate glass bottles vice plastic? They’re not just recyclable, they’re reusable! It didn’t kill us all to reuse glass soda bottles when we were little, why not glass water bottles now?

As to drinking water, o drink on average somewhere close to 60 ounces of water after work each day or on weekends. I do need to lay off the 2-3 sugar free Monsters at work though…

Bridgette

Anonymous

Dear Grace…..hello my precious!!!!

As we talk about recycling and the dreaded PLASTIC………..both my one litre bottles of ready to drink squash in my fridge are glass….they are actually Jack Daniels bottles!!!

Not only have I recycled….but the glass keeps the juice so much colder than plastic…..

So drinking Jack Daniels really does help save the planet!!!!!

( this argument could be flawed!!!!, but I’m sticking to it……)

….just realised, I am talking to myself again!!!

Grace xx

Anonymous

Well no worries here Stephanie, step out side last night here and instant outdoor power shower and all the fresh water you could bottle for and hour. Car washed in 20 seconds flat,as for the road and for the sporting a rapid canoe assault course,with very beautiful fountains from the drains. Soggy Amanda xx

Anonymous

🎶where it all comes from is a mystery🎶……haha

Anonymous

Well I am not surprised at all drinking recycled yuk.
      Amandasorearse.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?