Viewing 23 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Have you ever bought items from a 2nd hand shop?

Anonymous

Hi Elizabeth,

Yep from time to time. It’d be easier if I fitted a smaller size, and there would be more choice. I went through the usual phase of ‘generally’ looking in the women’s section, to inspecting more closely, to buying. There are some lovely bargains to be had, but no guarantees, you just have to keep looking.

Marti xxx

What about shoes Marti? Some people wouldn’t buy from them.
      Liz

Anonymous

It wouldn’t bother me to buy second hand shoes, but I’ve never spotted ones I like in  the right size. I’ve had plenty of false alarms, but … no luck.

Just curious though – what would be the reason(s) not to buy them?

Marti xxx

Was running past my friend, she wasn’t discouraging me, but she said her grandmother wouldn’t let them use these shops because she thought they could catch skin cancer or get something from footwear.
          I know she’ll support me regarding any decision I make.
          Liz

I’m not a doctor, but cancers aren’t contagious.

Cancer cells from one person’s body cannot survive in another’s – and it’s not passed on in breath either, because it’s not bacterial or viral.

Yet another urban myth destroyed – Ka-pow!!!

I have found a surprising number of pairs of size 9 (EU 43) shoes in charity shops, and love all the ones that actually fitted…

The remainder I donated to Macmillan cancer support.

Macmillan provided care for my mother when a brain tumour took her away far too early, so I am keen to support them in kicking that beyatch’s butt.

Love Laura

Sylvia
      Lady

Dear Elizabeth ,

I really don´t know any second hand shops for shoes or clothing around here.

As for size , my Women shoe size is about 42 , that’s a 9-9,5 in the UK/US I think.

My clothes size is in the larger spectrum so I think finding something in my size , second hand , would be difficult.

On another note , I picked up some pantyhose today in a major department store being in my male mode. The sales lady never even blinked an eye ! I’m still a bitt nervous when I buy female garments for myself but over the past few weeks , I have become more and more relaxed about it. It’s becoming less and less of a big deal for me.

Love Sylvia.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Sylvia.
      Angela Booth
      Hostess

I like to have a rummage every now and again. There are often some little gems to be found as it isn’t just clothes and shoes. I have picked up some nice jewelry, bags and accessories.

Prudence
      Ambassador

Some of my favorite clothes have been found in second hand shops. I like yard sales also,  Hugs

Hi Elizabeth,

I’ve seen many brand new items with tags attached at second hand shops.  Yes, never been worn.

Alice

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I think that most of us have taken a trip to a vintage/goodwill/2nd hand type store at some point.

Many of us are “girls on a buget”, especially if we are totally in the closet from a spouse or family.

I even found it useful to buy things at a shop like this while trying to determine my style/sizes/ options.

I don’t shop at thrift shops now, but I do have a Vintage store in San Jose that I like for some of the fun throwback things I didn’t get to wear as a 90’s chick.

Have some fun, try some cheaper options, and when you’re done with them…donate them to another CD coming up…

Dress on!

XOXO

Rayna

Anonymous

Many times. Use to pay full price for things from stores then decided to start looking at thrift stores plus found out about few months ago local good will stores gives discounts to seniors every wed. Found things even with tags still on them from original stores.

Donna

Sabrina
      Lady

I often shop at second hand stores. They are convenient when looking for things from awhile ago, or when trying a “new” look. Why pay full retail when you are exploring to find “your” look.

Anonymous

I have been in a few in my area, the assistants around here tend to ask can I help you when I’m browsing tops etc in drab. Unfortunately it’s not a friendly “can help you either “.

I go round the local charity shops every couple of weeks, I get most of my clothes in them – I need a large size (UK 24) and there are few items that turn up that I like;  I just have to keep looking.  Occasionally I buy some items online which I need – this year I bought myself a couple of summer dresses.

I just bought 2 pair of womans jeans last week for $20, always good deals there

My wife and I often visit small towns and/or cities for days out. In the more wealthy (posher) areas, the charity shops have some amazing clothes for very little money. The down side is tha wealthier people tend to have better lifestyles so the sizes tend to be smaller. We’re both quite large (UK 18 to 20)… So posh areas have the clothes but not the sizes. Where we live has the sizes, but rarely the clothes.
      Still, the fun of the hunt is what it’s all about 🙂

We have bought some amazing stuff from charity shops.

Cerys.

Yes I have bought dresses, skirts, heels and blouses from Goodwill, I love going there

I’ve shopped a couple of times.  I found a red skirt green top I (which wear sometimes in guy mode) which was originally bought for an Italian party.  I bought a couple of skirts there, including my first jeans skirt.  I found a formal outfit there.  My best bargain was a woman’s red woolen trench coat for $14.00.  It’s very nice for going out on dressy winter occasions.  I just wore it last night out to dinner with some friends.

Anonymous

Definitely, you can find some great deals in there. I bought 2 pairs of jeans one day still had the original store tags on them.

Several times. It is awesome way to get some very nice clothing for short money.

I have bought probably several thousands of dollars in clothing and accessories plus books and other items from 2d hand and charity shops over the years.  Dresses, skirts, blouses, jewelry , etc.

I won’t buy things like used shoes,  lingerie or wigs.  Just doesn’t seem ‘right somehow.

PaulaF

Brandi
      Lady

Hi Elizabeth,

Just picked up a dress a few weeks ago for $2.00.

It is a beautiful flowered dress.

Hugs,

Brandi

Probably 90% of my wardrobe is from thrift stores or sites like Etsy, Poshmark, Mercari, Ruby Lane, etc. These days it amounts to close to 3 closets. I have bought shoes from online sites, but only not worn.

I have always used second-hand and charity shops for my wardrobe. As has been said already, you can find some amazing clothes in them – from high street fashions. to designer labels, to vintage gems.

After coming out to her, my partner was naturally curious as to where I bought my clothing, and I have now converted her (previously not keen on second-hand) to a bargain hunter like myself 🙂 She has scored loads of cool label stuff such as Biba and Ted Baker and loads of others I have no idea about lol

I have noticed though, that there are significantly less my-size shoes turning up in charity shops, which I reckon is down to websites like ‘Vinted’ in the UK. Having said that, I’ve bought 3 pairs of shoes from there in the las couple of months!

Also, since the pandemic and the current financial situation that many of us Brits are in – political comment deftly avoided there, thank you very much! 🙂   – I have noticed that shops that used to be a goldmine for fab clothes, seem to be struggling to find stock. Again, maybe more people are selling rather than donating… anyway, yes, second hand clothes are great; you get to get cool new stuff, help charities and be environmentally friendly all at once 🙂

I just recently (the past few months) started shopping in thrift stores, by myself and with my wife. I’ve managed to find some dresses, tops a pair of thigh high boots and a pair of ankle boots and some clip on earrings. It is fun looking thru the racks to see what is there. I keep looking for a gown but finding my size can be difficult.

XOXO
      Suzanne

you could also try estate sales.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?