Viewing 27 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Carolyn Kay
      Baroness - Annual

How do you deal with 5 O’clock shadow? A good friend of mine and I are both having issues with this. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

K Swim
      Lady

Dressing or not, I still find facial hair annoying. I was pretty much required to shave it all away when I was in the military, but now shave only a couple of times a week since I’ve been out. I sometimes use Nair on other body parts, but will never do so on the face.

Not sure if my view on this can even click one of your voting options.

All three: concealer, foundation and shave.  Use an orange concealer to help hide the beard stubble.  I think powders can also mask.  All boys and girls have to start over every 24 hours.

I am lucky mine is  light plus it is white. So if I shave close before I dress I have no problem.

Love

Danielle

Good shaving, in all directions, then moisturizer, primer, beard concealer (basically a color corrector), and finally my foundation.

Anonymous

I have black facial hair and use a salmon pink concealer.   It helps but never gets rid of the grayness completely,  unless I go for the extra thick layer of foundation etc. which I find then looks dreadful on my older skin.    I currently go for a thin foundation (so my freckles still show and it isn’t obvious) and dapple the concealer on (so it blends into the surrounding area) before finishing with some matte powder.    If I look in a mirror I can still see my beard shadow, but from a sensible distance it isn’t going to stand out.

If I really want to look good I pluck most of the little sods out the day before (my sideburns are sparse and under chin isn’t too noticeable but the rest can go).  I then get 3 to 4 days of glorious fresh faced joy before that shadow reappears.

If all else fails, hide it behind a smile.

I am tempted to tell you to get up later. I do suffer whiskers but I use a two blade razor for roughing out and then I use a three blader with a single blade for fine work like under the nose.

I last until the next morning when I start again.

Has anyone tried hair remover?

Sally

Some chemicals used in depilatories can be extremely harsh, I would expect them to leave you red faced. I am open to being proved wrong though and it might be something that I would consider.

Megan B
      Lady

Electrolysis and laser. Laser is really fast but it leaves minor burns where the hairs are too close together. This was mostly done on my neck, and to work on a few stragglers on my face. Electrolysis comes with a bit of swelling for a few hours to a few days hen working on dense areas, but it’s not nearly as fast as Laser. I have very sensitive skin though. Neither method is pain-free, but not having to shave is amazing and there’s no 5 o’clock shadow to worry about. Also, the hairs (mostly) stop coming back eventually. Laser won’t work on grey hairs, Electrolysis works on anything. I suspect unless I can get on a HRT regimen, this is the best I can hope for.

Marianne
      Ambassador

When planning for an outing, I pluck all my  facial hair. It takes forever but leaves me virtually free of beard shadow for about 10 days. Some new hairs appear daily but no concentrated dark areas.

I have been looking into getting laser and electrolysis and will probably go there in the near future as my dexterity and precision work is getting seriously affected by Parkinson’s.

Megan B
        Lady

I can recommend Skin Spirit in our area for laser hair removal, they’ve been been very kind and thorough.

Carolyn Kay
          Baroness - Annual

Megan, where is your area for the laser treatment?

Megan B
            Lady

[postquote quote=206563][/postquote]

Hi Carolyn!

I’m in the San Francisco Bay area, there are a few locations here. I looked at their website and found that they also have Seattle locations.

shaving (twice) followed by  moisturizer, primer, concealer where needed then my foundation.   then its on to my regular makeup routine

Nikki
      Lady

Something I’ve done recently is 1st, foundation, a darker color than my skin.

2nd, concealer, again darker than my skin like 1 shade.

3rd, a lighter powder. Make sure the foundation and concealer are dry first.

This seems to help get the dark out of my face.

Hope this helps

<p style=”–original-color: #333333; –original-background-color: #ffffff;”>I have facial hair like wire I use two razors  to be able to get a good shave, one 2 blade and one 5 blade but it takes many passes to do it. I sometimes use a double edge razor but you have to be careful with those.I found if I place a hot  wet towel on my face for a minute or two before I shave, it helps me get a closer shave.</p>

I start with red lipstick which I dot across my facial hair.  Then I use a makeup sponge to spread the lipstick until it looks like I have a sunburn.  After that I use a mouse foundation (you need one that has some yellowish hue in the tan; it can’t be pale).  The yellowish tinge in the foundation is neutralized with the yellowish component of the tan foundation.  The end result is that the facial hairs are hidden behind the lipstick and mousse with neither one sticking out.  I blend in a beard cover for some of the more problem areas (for me, that is the upper lip).

If I am going to be out for a long time, I try to skip shaving the day before and then use a new or fairly new blade.  This allows me to get a closer shave (hairs that might have been too short for one days worth may grow enough to get on the second) so that I don’t get a shadow later in the day.

You should have allowed more than one response, as I’m sure many of us do a combination of these things and more. For me it’s a close shave, concealer, power, foundation, more powder, and sometimes contouring makeup.

I use an old fashioned single safety blade. Shave once with the direction of the growth, then again against the direction of the growth.  Taking my time.  Lots of moisturiser.  Beard cover, concealer, then foundation and powder.  This works for me.  Beard free of 18 hours.  Also, as another girl suggested, don’t shave the day before to give the skin a rest and for the hair to be a bit longer.

Amanda

Anonymous

Im going to do a quick article on this shortly, but quick answer.

Close shave, moisturize. Give it a few mins to soak in, then a primer, let that soak in. Next is the critical bit, use a concealer designed for dark beard vcolours such as ben nye “5 o sharp”. Use it lightly and yes its orange. Then let this dry before putting your foundation on. Dab foundation on over the concealer don’t brush or drag. This mixes the two and will discolour your foundation. Let dry then use a setting powder or spray. Now add the rest of your face.

Yes. I learnt this many moons ago. I’m by no means an expert though so I’m looking forward to reading your forthcoming article.

Take good care.

Annie.

Hi Girls , this is a toughie!! because people have different rates of facial hair growth. When i shave, i always shave as normal, and go over again ‘against the grain’ always try to use a decent razor, 5 bladed preferably and plenty of shaving foam or foaming cleansing cream. I was always told to never use soap as this messes up the skins ph balance, but thats another topic….. Try to use a Foundation with a good coverage, maybe a shade or two darker than your skin but be careful otherwise it wont blend properly, especially if you forget your neck!! i dont really think there is a perfect answer here because there are so many factors at play such as beard colour, rate of growth, etc etc…. everyone is different, some people need to shave less often than others, or maybe have lighter, less noticeable facial hair.

IPL is an option, but it must be used very carefully and really only suits dark haired people with lighter skin because of the way the light affects the melanocytes (melanin producing cells). Used carefully and regularly, this should reduce facial hair.

Fiona xxxx

Dawn Judson
        Ambassador

What’s IPL?

Anonymous

Intense pulsed light (roughly lumped in as laser but its not a laser)

bHugs…best results, permanent hair removal. Wink wink…

Mona
      Duchess

I use something called “clown pink” which I purchased online from Glamour Boutique, where it is recommended as a beard shadow concealer.  I cover my beard area with a light coat of that before applying foundation on top of it. The red/pink color neutralizes the blue/grey color of a beard shadow.  It works for me and highly recommend checking it out.

Mona,

While the actual material may be different, that is exactly the same principle behind my using lipstick spread thin to cover my beard before the foundation.

JackieBoy
      Baroness

I use Nair on my moustache that is intended for using on the face for 10 minutes. I then shave very closely in the shower going against the grain. I put on moisturizer then wait and apply liquid foundation then wait and put on Clinique Apricot Beyond Perfecting Super Concealer on the moustache area then wait and put on my Powder Foundation and Blush

I donot believe i have thought about it before. I believe we now spend more time on our appearance when comparing the time that cis woman take just for make up.

I know it. Is a big issue for most of us. I would shave first thing in the morning before going to work and again just before applying make up. I would apply concealer and foundation if i was going out. There was always some part of my face that i missed. Its a real pain . luv Stephanie

I shave as close as possible

Deb Cox
      Lady

5 O’clock shadow?

I have a 24 hour shadow, it follows me day AND night 🙂

What a pain, I do my best to cover it with a base after a close razor shave.

Carolyn Kay
        Baroness - Annual

Deb, as the song goes – It’s 5 O’Clock somewhere. Just do what you can and enjoy it!!!

I use a Remington 3 floating head shaver. I’ve heard an beard concealer with an orange tint is the best. I haven’t gotten into using make-up yet; but when I do, I know I’ll need it.

Luckily, I don’t have the fastest growing face hair so I can get away with shaving really close and don’t have to worry about it for a couple of days. I also only get to dress once a week so there is that.
      Hugs, Ruby

Gail
      Lady

Mine really doesn’t come until after 7PM–By that time I’m already in bed! (ALONE THANK YOU)

Anonymous

Laser facial hair removal. Great investment.

It’s $30 for a small tube, but Lancome has a really good concealer that seems to work with darker complexions like mine. So far, this is the only thing I’ve found that works well.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?