Viewing 5 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Wendie Cross
      Duchess

I have a lighted make up mirror, a magnified mirror with 10X magnification on the flip side. Yet I struggle with my eye make up because I can’t make my eyes perky or mysterious with out my glasses. Being sixty-five and half blind makes it hard to be “cute & flirty”. Are there alternate forms of beauty enhancers that I can use that don’t require a keen eye to draw a straight line?

Darcy S.
      Lady

Hi Wendie! I too am starting to have vision issues, nothings bright enough, and the blur at any distance is tough.

As for Nice n straight Lines… I recently started plucking my brows and am trying to learn how to use the brow pencil… the YouTube gurus make it look so darn easy..but So far I have mastered the “Moose Antler’s” brow look! Ughh so frustrating! I swear the other night, I looked at myself and said “it’s so easy even a caveman can do it”!! Because I looked like the Geico commercial caveman! So I feel your pain.  I also have a slight tremor which doesn’t help anything, probably from too much coffee. And adding insult to injury I just started using lip liner to lock in my lip color, because I am so over the bleeding, spreading of lip color, but just like the brow pencil, after applying it I often find myself saying out loud to myself, “Whyyyy Soooo Serious“!? (The Jokers line from Batman) I’ve nearly gone through an entire lip pencil already, but I am getting better.

Back to your Post!…
      So right as I read your query an amazing idea flashed into my mind.

Get an old pair of your glasses and carefully break them in two sections, or carefully cut them down the middle. Maybe with a metal file to wear through frame carefully (a real craft file, not a nail file)

Then Wear only one lens at a time while you work the other eye, and vice versa. Like a monocle heh.
      Now some creativity will be involved to get a lens to stay on one eye at a time obviously, but it’s something. Or even better just hold one at a time with your free hand.  You could go zenni.com and buy a really inexpensive pair to experiment with. Just get the prescription you need for distance or nearsightedness etc. No need to pay for progressives when you’re going to be potentially breaking them.😉

Also another trick is using the multiple mirror technique. You set up mirror so to view the reflection of your eye from another mirror offset to your main mirror.
      So instead of looking straight at your mirror with your eye in front of it, use another mirror to reflect your eye onto the main mirror… again, it will take some playing with, and note that you won’t be looking straight at your eye. You’ll be looking at it from a slight angle, but it works. It sounds weird, like it almost doesn’t make sense but it is actually a really trick good for doing liner, mascara, and eyeshadow. Especially works wonders for those sensitive eye blinkers. Maybe this won’t work for you, but I thought I’d share ye old bouncing mirror trick.

This is what I do for quick n flirty eyeshadow happiness:

Choose your favorite dark eyeshadow and a compatible light shade. Use your “Blender Brush” to evenly apply decent application of your Light color, all over lid up to your brow bone. Then use significantly less powder for the dark shadow, just enough on the brush, and start just from the outside of your lid slightly above your lash and apply slow and evenly a few times just past the center of your eyelid. (note: Brush one direction >from ear to nose)
      Then clean off the excess powder from the brush.
      Then it’s time to blend. Brushing lightly a few back-and-forths over your lid, then one or two or three circular and meaningful blending passes over your entire eyelid up to your brow bone. Just blend staying inside the inner, outer, center lid, and up to your brow bone of your eye.
      I like doing this with a light pink/orangish sparkle, with a dark shimmery grape/purple color. Simple quick and with a zap of mascara does the job for me when I want simple. Less is more technique!

Hope I wasn’t preaching to the choir, I got a bit carried away. Well I share your woes  & please let me know if you try the one eyeglass lens hack, that would be a great if that would work for you, or try the mirror trick!

~Darcy

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Darcy S..
        Wendie Cross
        Duchess

Something that you have put so much thought into has to be worth trying. My brother is a college educated engineer. I’m going to approach him about the one lense idea. I’ll be sure to post his input.

Darcy S.
          Lady

Great, I look forward to hearing your results. Maybe something like this. The hyperlink may or may not work. Basically spectacle(s) on a stick. For some reason I couldn’t upload a picture. Maybe it’s her account level limitation, but that link should take you to goog Imgur of spectacles on a stick.  😉

~Darcy

Wendie Cross
            Duchess

Hey Darcy

When I stuck myself in the eye with my mascara brush this morning, geez that burns, I thought about our conversation. I have been casually asking around about any vision correcting devices designed to help with applying make up. 99% of the responses were “magnifying mirrors”. The 1% that is interested in addressing this issue have not seen or heard of such a device.
            *there could be an opportunity here*
            I wear glasses and use a set of clip on sun shades that flip up when not in use. There may be a practical use of this concept for improving my ability to apply make up. ( ? )

Wendie

Darcy S.
            Lady

Poking yourself in the eye with the mascara brush smarts… especially when you do it 2 to 3 times in a row! How & what the heck!? Then you re-dip the brush for your next eye and somehow when you glance back at your previous eye it’s gotten all over above your eyebrow somehow. At least in my experience. I get it everywhere, I don’t know how. I’ve been practicing with a clear mascara & it does wonders. Currently happy with “e.l.f. – clear brow and lash mascara. Two brushes and reservoirs, One side brow, one side lash. Not really a fan of the brow, controlling product, but I love the Lash side product. Works and washes out easily etc.

I still think (if you have an old pair of your prescription glasses), maybe even an really old prescription that you wouldn’t wear because it’s not current. carefully cut the frame down the middle of the nose and make it into pieces. I think that would be an interesting experiment to try.

As for the magnification mirrors… ha ! I can get nothing done in one of those, but begin over analyzing the state that my skin is in lol. Maybe it’s because I had crummy ones or something but I’ve had three & only one purchased, and I just cannot work in that universe. I bought one of those “as seen on TV” models with lamp built into it on a adjustable stand with suction cup to attach to a table or bathroom mirror. It turned out it was “One of those better left As Seen on TV“ purchases.  Oh and Especially when plucking eyebrows.  I almost plucked them all off once. Went too far on one side, had to match the other one, then went too far on that one and had to go back and match!! It was like a tennis match. Lesson learned. I recall reading that if you use A magnifying mirror remember to continually reference in a normal mirror or else you’ll have no eyebrows or something wrong. This all just takes practice I suppose.

Merry Christmas & Happy holidays!

~Darcy

Kathleen
      Duchess

Hi Wendie
      I’m 65 as well blind in one eye and very nearsighted.I can totally relate(yes that mascara wand burns). I was wondering – mirrors can be custom ground for telescopes so why not for a makeup mirror? I would gladly pay 100 to 200 for one personalized for me.Has anybody heard of such a service?

Wendie Cross
        Duchess

No, I have not heard of such a service. But I will add it to my list of curiosity on this subject.

Sherri Remington
      Duchess - Annual

I have not done the makeup part for many years because I just couldn’t get it right but in the last year I’ve been speaking more and more with my wife about a full make over so it wouldn’t be such a shock when she sees it. Now to the question Wendi, I also have bad vision and a slight tremor and never thought about it until now, so please tell us all how this turns out and remember us little people when you become rich and famous cashing in on your discovery, and congratulations on you being a featured member.

Sherri

Wendie Cross
        Duchess

I’ve never been too successful with making things I wish for come true so “cashing in” would be debatable. However, any viable solutions I discover will be brought here first. Thanks for the congrats on the featured member. Never in my wildest dreams did I think such a thing would happen to me.

Wendie Cross
      Duchess

U P D A T E…….

Well girls, we’re not going to make millions developing a new product. It already exists.

https://www.amazon.com/makeup-glasses/s?k=makeup+glasses

I ordered one of these and will update on well this works.

Anonymous
        Lady

Hi Wendie.

Thanks for the link to the makeup glasses. I’m sure many mature girls here could use a pair of those. I just bought a lighted makeup mirror with different mirrors of magnification and it helps but this product should do the trick. Seems the older I get the more difficult it is to get glammed up but a girl has got to do what a girl does.

Wendie Cross
          Duchess

Remember to know your magnification before you order

Wendie Cross
      Duchess

UPDATE…..

The verdict is in. The makeup eye glasses I ordered off of Amazon arrived and I have done make up application twice while wearing. They are just as advertised. There is a great improvement while applying make up to the eyes. The only negatives I voice are that knowing what magnification to get and having to keep one eye closed, opening both eyes while wearing the glasses gives a type of double vision. To get the right magnification I went to Walgreens and tried some reading glasses before ordering. These glasses are inexpensive and does help.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Professional Makeup Advice’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?