Tagged: Typo error
- May 18, 2021 at 5:21 am #493360AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 3Replies: 67Has thanked: 247 timesBeen thanked: 347 times
Do NOT ask me why (ok, you can ask me why if you want), but I woke up this morning wishing I owned an 80s style leotard and leggings outfit, maybe with my wig in a ponytail, with a headband and legwarmers to complete the ensemble. How fun aerobics must have been back then!
Total of 22 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
- May 19, 2021 at 7:09 am #493760
- May 19, 2021 at 5:42 am #493739MikalaRegistered On: April 11, 2021Topics: 0Replies: 77Has thanked: 433 timesBeen thanked: 295 times
- May 19, 2021 at 5:44 am #493740
- May 19, 2021 at 4:05 am #493725Birel GalanodelLadyRegistered On: May 3, 2020Topics: 14Replies: 149Has thanked: 403 timesBeen thanked: 701 times
- May 19, 2021 at 4:23 am #493728
- May 18, 2021 at 1:39 pm #493527Laura LovettLadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 16Replies: 1187Has thanked: 3828 timesBeen thanked: 5719 times
The 1980s to me were all about the heavy metal.
The old school becoming huge – Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Motorhead, all released iconic albums in 1980, then the new bands – Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer – the 1980s were a really special and exciting time to be into metal – and it felt like an exclusive club.
I got treated like an outsider everywhere that bushy hairdos, frilly shirts and spiky hair exploded – and was asked to dance at many a disco by sniggering guys.
My hair was rather long, it’s true – and metal fans and bands wore eye makeup, tight jeans or spandex, and the somewhat cute cowboy style ankle boots – failing that, Doc Marten’s, with leather jackets.
I am excited that this is a trend with women these days – cute biker style jackets, leather skirts or skin tight jeans, rock t shirts and DMs.
I can basically wear exactly what I wore as a teenager, but from the ladies section!
Correction, that is one outfit I will be wearing this weekend in Brighton. Watch out for the rock chick – this is who I have been for 40 years. I remember it well – Hammersmith Odeon, November 1980, AC/DC with their new lead singer performing songs from Back in Black for the first time.
Great band, but how many stadiums do they fill these days… 😁
My 1980s, my way – but I agree, those leotards are something else 😍😍😍😍😍
- May 18, 2021 at 1:24 pm #493521KristaDuchessRegistered On: January 24, 2017Topics: 9Replies: 613Has thanked: 1798 timesBeen thanked: 2825 times
Hi Kate, the 80s were a mixed up time for me. I was still very much in the closet. I even tried to be “more manly” by buying a handgun and a couple of rifles and joining a gun club, taking up ju jitsu, having lots of female relationships (married to three different women in the 80s – holy smokes I just realized that for the first time!!!). I was very much into climbing the corporate ladder in my career. I was definitely not as nice as person as I’ve become.
Oh yes, Olivia Newton John (sigh), Joan Jett, big hair. When I look back, the 80s were the time when I had regrets; could easily do it over again and differently. But those days are gone and no point rehashing it. Focus on the now and the future and don’t make the same mistakes of the past. Thanks for the topic Kate, Hugs, Krista.
- May 18, 2021 at 11:00 am #493490Wendy SwiftLadyRegistered On: May 11, 2020Topics: 5Replies: 498Has thanked: 420 timesBeen thanked: 2145 times
That sounds so awesome ! I had a whole slew of “80s style” aerobic wear, the spandex leotards and leggings. I loved wearing them, didn’t have the leg warmers though.
Sigh, sad to say all that good vintage stuff got purged and I totally regret doing so. Even if I wanted to buy that type of clothing again, I would be hard pressed to A) find someone who has them and in my size B) the astronomical price tag associated with it.
- May 18, 2021 at 8:39 am #493445Heather JamesonDuchessRegistered On: April 1, 2019Topics: 8Replies: 551Has thanked: 976 timesBeen thanked: 2035 times
Ah yes, the eighties, flashdance or the Pat Bennatar look, I did them both but I was a rocker so stuck more with the Joan Jett, Chrissy Hind look, lots of leather jackets and boots. I went to a club one night in a short and I mean short red leather skirt and black leather thigh high boots with a white satin top, yes I was very popular that night, good times. I also had a red racing jumpsuit with the zipper that went right around the crotch, wear that with some 6″ white heels and my long natural blonde hair all teased up, yeah you get noticed, not exactly thinking under the radar in those days. I don’t have any pictures, I never kept photo evidence but I do have a picture and old boyfriend painted of me but he abstracted the face so you can’t tell who it is. My wife still asks, why don’t you throw that out, she doesn’t know it’s me. I just tell her it’s by my old friend Pat she doesn’t know he was my boyfriend and he’s dead so that’s all that’s left of him.
- May 18, 2021 at 8:51 am #493449Deborah SullivanDuchessRegistered On: February 27, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 633Has thanked: 2748 timesBeen thanked: 2546 times
- May 18, 2021 at 8:52 am #493450
- May 18, 2021 at 8:50 am #493448AnonymousRegistered On:Topics: 3Replies: 67Has thanked: 247 timesBeen thanked: 347 times
- May 18, 2021 at 8:26 am #493438Bettylou CoxDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 21Replies: 2217Has thanked: 4563 timesBeen thanked: 8151 times
The 80’s were interesting times; my sons graduated HS (one with Mickey Gilley’s son), and we were going to Gilley’s regularly. This was before I found Bettylou, so I was an urban cowboy back in those days.
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Bettylou Cox.
- May 18, 2021 at 8:22 am #493436Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 85Replies: 1822Has thanked: 6507 timesBeen thanked: 10201 times
- May 18, 2021 at 8:09 am #493434Marcellette LavalBaronessRegistered On: February 1, 2021Topics: 3Replies: 104Has thanked: 312 timesBeen thanked: 527 times
Ok Kate, I’ll bite – why did you wake up with that thought?
What a mixed decade for me – HS concluded in 1980 and my college years were right in the thick of it. I loved the makeup and feminine styles, but the cars were awful, the music iffy at best (although with some exception for the early Alternative stuff IMO), and the ridiculous inflation here in the U.S. made getting that first home almost impossible with the double digit interest rates.
What mixed bag! So I’m choosing to now forget about the bad stuff and just focus on the great femme styles of the day from now on (yes I confess to all that I love big hair blue eyeshadow and glossy lips – there I’m out now!)
- May 18, 2021 at 8:19 am #493435
- May 18, 2021 at 7:50 am #493425Paula FDuchessRegistered On: August 7, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 1205Has thanked: 17595 timesBeen thanked: 4756 times
Looking at some of my old Poloroids that haven’t faded yet, I think I pulled off the looks back then pretty well. Today, no chance of looking that hot without a TON of work.
The 80’s were my 20’s and when I started coming out and partying and dating. The world, here in Texas at least, were not quite ready for us girls once we got started. Maybe that’s where some of the so called “bad rep” that not everyone deserved came from.
I apologize for having a part in the rep building, but we did have fun getting there.
- May 18, 2021 at 7:38 am #493421DuchessRegistered On: February 27, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 633Has thanked: 2748 timesBeen thanked: 2546 times
Yea the movie Flash Dance started all that back in the 80’s. I had a ponytail too then and excersized and stepped out in leotards with leg warmers and the headband. I also remember going to clubs then in goth attire with a bleached blond punk wig and black nails lol. Was so bold and remember dancing with guys that didnt know I was even a cd.
- May 18, 2021 at 7:20 am #493415patty williamsLadyRegistered On: January 19, 2019Topics: 74Replies: 1400Has thanked: 2289 timesBeen thanked: 5060 times
- May 18, 2021 at 6:09 am #493391Stephanie KennedyPrincessRegistered On: March 15, 2019Topics: 13Replies: 863Has thanked: 5594 timesBeen thanked: 3455 times
Hi Kate You are absolutely right. The outfits were all so cute and colorful. I forgot the head bands did match outfits and yes it was popular to wear a pony tail. It was a whole life style of being fit and looking cute while doing it. It was so frustrating for me. I owned a cute outfit but just not brave enough to wear it out side my apt. at the time. All i wanted was to be like all the other girls. Exercising and looking cute while doing it. Thank you for the memories.
- May 18, 2021 at 5:37 am #493367Andi DuBoisLadyRegistered On: January 7, 2021Topics: 6Replies: 109Has thanked: 134 timesBeen thanked: 496 times
The late 80s was the only time in my life I actually had hair long enough to put in a pony tail. Back then it was because of my liking of the rock bands of the time and pre-dates any known desire to dress.
Having watched a few videos from the 80s I’m not sure it is a look I could carry off!
- May 18, 2021 at 5:44 am #493372
- May 18, 2021 at 5:25 am #493361
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.