• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Marti.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Genevïéve
    Participant
    Registered On: July 28, 2020
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 801

Since joining you lovely ladies here on CDH six months ago, I’ve gained so much confidence to express my feminine side beyond the proverbial ‘Closet’.

Last November I pierced my ears… have wanted to have this done for quite a while. Just in the last few weeks or so I have been letting my finger nails grow long…

I work in an all GB automotive service shop… none of my colleagues nor our customers have said anything negative. Actually the boss has pierced ears also… He inspired me to pierce my ears…

It’s not a big thing these days for GB’s to have pierced ears…. but I don’t see any with long finger nails. I adore long finger nails… I’m very surprised that my long(ish) nails haven’t received any negative comments….

I do believe we are living in (for the most part) a more Tollerant world…

L❤VE

Gen… ❤

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Marti
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: February 5, 2019
      Topics: 11
      Replies: 118

Yes, I like longer nails too. I think the main reason you don’t see many very long natural nails, is that they’re hard work to maintain!

In most physical jobs it’s just impossible, but even doing the washing up you can suddenly find you’ve lost the top of a nail, and it’s a constant cycle. I think hardeners help – I use a clear gloss all in one when I’m in nail growing mode.

A couple of times in my life I’ve grown my left pinkie to over an inch. It tool forever and a day. When I was an expat, I first encountered men from the chinese community who had a single long pinkie. It’s an old custom which is supposed to prove you’re wealthy, in the sense that manual workers ( i.e .poor people) just wouldn’t be able to do it.

Of course growing a nail to an inch long was just my own daft affectation, but it did attract attention and it led to quite a few (generally) pleasant exchanges along the lines of “excuse me, but I couldn’t help noticing …”.

stephanie plumb
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: November 17, 2018
      Topics: 132
      Replies: 1622

It depends where you live. Unfortunately tolerance is not high on the agenda of most of the world.

In the UK I believe we do have a more tolerant Society (more – meaning being slightly better than it was previously, say ten years ago) and improving slowly. The younger generation  is far more tolerant than mine is. This is a hopeful sign that tolerance will increase at a faster rate.  But there will always be some level of intolerance.

While CD’ers are now, by and large, tolerated, we are still not accepted as being equals in mainstream Society.

5 users thanked author for this post.
        Sarah Du Hessisse
        Lady
        Registered On: September 16, 2020
        Topics: 13
        Replies: 292

I agree with you Stephanie I think you got spot on. The younger generation are more open minded and accepting, our generation are really stuck in the mud an bigotted.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Andi DuBois
        Lady
        Registered On: January 7, 2021
        Topics: 2
        Replies: 15

Without wishing to make too much of a political statement about the current state of the UK I think that tolerance levels (amongst other things) are moving backwards.

There has been something doing the rounds on Twitter that shows that the current incumbent government have implemented all of the policies that were on the 1974 election poster of the NF.

I suspect and fear that many of the gains of the last 20+ years will disappear. I don’t think that is going to change much until my teenager’s generation gain some kind of power and control.

-A.

Regine Rich
      Princess
      Registered On: October 9, 2020
      Topics: 21
      Replies: 600

I think, for some of us, and at leas for my self, our own, unintended intolerance is what stops us the most from being out, at least in my country. I have been venturing in small ways, and I notice myself, more than anyone around me ever seems to, it is like has been said here many times, everyone else is too wrapped up, to really care.
      However, that being said, we have come a long way, whatever the reason, 10 years ago, we surely would have been noticed, and commented upon.
      Now the nails, lol. Im a heavy truck mechanic, and I have grown mine out some (maybe an 1/8 of an inch beyond my fingers?), and use PERFECT FORMULA RUBY PINK GEL COAT BOGO, It really seems to help, I still chip/break the odd one, but not nearly as much, and my nails are always a pretty light pink😊
      Regi

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Anonymous
        Registered On:
        Topics: 58
        Replies: 1716

Wow…it’s getting warm in here…so a question for Regi…

Doesn’t

PERFECT FORMULA RUBY PINK GEL COAT BOGO play for Barcelona???

…and if he does, is it cheaper just to put BOGO on the back of his shirt???

Smiles again, Gracey xx

Cindy Lou
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: November 18, 2020
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 431

I’m impressed with your courage Genevieve, to do what you did in such a male dominated environment took a lot of… let’s say hutzpah! I love your thread title btw, it’s the most important thing to keep in mind for those of us that have not been out much, or like me at all. It really is a far more accepting time than it was not too long ago. The public at large takes a very dim  view of racism and homophobia,  we can only hope that acceptance of cross dressing can’t be far behind.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      Anonymous
      Registered On:
      Topics: 58
      Replies: 1716

Hello Gen

I can honestly say, there’s not many days I don’t wish for a more tolerant society….

and I remember your ” ear posts” if you will forgive the pun…

glad it’s working out for you honey….and suddenly you realise why women go ballistic when they chip a nail… haha

Love, grace ❤️

Sa•man•tha
      Managing Ambassador
      Registered On: January 21, 2018
      Topics: 430
      Replies: 1745

So whaddya do to keep those nails intact Gen?

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Polly Stewart
        Lady
        Registered On: January 2, 2021
        Topics: 5
        Replies: 564

Hi Samantha

I, personally use two coats of nail strengther before applying another two coats of nail varnish then I work carefully! 😀
        I really hate those false nails ‘cos they cause me more grief than my real ones.

By the way, I do a lot of joinery work. Working with heavy plywood and fabricating custom furniture and other joinery (Thanks Pinterest!). Funny thing about that… I’m really careful how I work and won’t wear earrings or jewelery though I still underdress and wear my forms.

I think we are on the cusp of a much more forgiving culture outside of the US but, sorry to say, American culture still has a couple of hundred years of intolerance to shed (I know, I know… no politics etc but it still needs to be said). Ohhh… I wish we could move forward faster as I don’t have that many years to go and wish I had started sooner. I doff my hat to the CD’s who went before and the to our predecessors in the LGBTQ community. My step father was amoung them… a Gay policeman in the 1960’s who had to marry my mother to fake it… sadly, he couldn’t and took his life soon after.
        SWo… three cheers for them !

Love //Polly

Genevïéve
        Lady

They aren’t super long yet Sam.. they haven’t been snagging much.

They are quite strong actually. Had a little chip in one today… no major breakage though.

Gen… ❤

Amy Myers
      Baroness
      Registered On: February 11, 2019
      Topics: 15
      Replies: 1200

I too truly believe we are in a more tolerate society now, at least most places. There are still individuals and a few pockets of resistance here and there, but it is much easier to live one’s alternate lifestyle, whatever that is to you now. Hopefully as we move forward through life things will become more tolerate as there still some stigma attached to crossdressing.

Interesting that some of you other girls are mechanics, I do mechanics too only I don’t work on modern cars, but vintage ones!

During my teens I studied violin seriously, and played in a couple of youth orchestras as well, and one needs short nails to play strings, so that became a habit all through me life. One which I have been trying to change, however working on cars, and dry winter air seem to be bad for my nails, but at least they are longer than they used to be.

Amy

Stephanie Bass
      Princess - Annual
      Registered On: November 30, 2019
      Topics: 11
      Replies: 1312

Hi Genevieve nice meeting you congrats on having ears pierced its a wonderful feeling to know you can wear any earings you want .. I did mine 25 years ago yes both as it was the cool guy thing to do if they only new he he .. As for nails im the same a mechanic and tear them all the time  i keep them a little long but as working with two other males its harder to let them grow to much .. I use Kiss brand glue on nails when Stephanie comes over as she has a better chance of keeping them there with glue then polish them to match my dress  they look so pretty ..

Stephanie Bass

patty williams
      Lady
      Registered On: January 19, 2019
      Topics: 68
      Replies: 1259

HI Genevieve,

I am so happy for you.

I would love to have my ears pierced maybe some day I will get the courage up.

It must be hard to maintain finger nails in an automotive service garage.

I am a mechanic and I am constantly chipping or tearing mine.

It is wonderful we are living in a more tolerant time isn’t it?

Hugs Patty

Sandy Jayson
        Duchess
        Registered On: September 29, 2019
        Topics: 17
        Replies: 392

Hi Patty.  Getting ears pierced can be a fearful thought.  This past Aug I got the nerve up to bring out more visably bring out my feminine side and made an appt to color my hair for my birthday( just enough to cover the gray).  The day after I took my X out shopping for the house we both still share and she offered to pay for me to have my ears pierced.  Actually I was a little shocked she has been so negative about my CD and even told our 3 grown kids and still bad mouths me to them about my CD.  I was so giggly happy she offered this,  I didn’t care.  To this day I have had no comment about my hair except the shoulder length and only a few questions about my ear studs.

All this has helped me spur my desires to become my feminine me even more and come out to more family members and wondering how I can tell some others also.

Sandy

patty williams
          Lady

Good for you Sandy Thanks for the encouragement.

sorry about your ex sweetie.

Patty

Genevïéve
        Lady

It’s our slow time right now Patty… my nails don’t endure much abuse…

Gen… ❤

patty williams
          Lady

Thats good Genevieve working on cars or any mechanical thing can be brutal on nails.

also I worked at a Firestone years ago and I found mechanics can be brutal to each other so its good to hear they are treating you well.

If they aren’t you let us girls know and we will come pay them a visit.LOL

Hugs Patty

ChloeC
      Duchess
      Registered On: November 5, 2019
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 266

Like I’ve mentioned so far, I would love to grow my nails out, and every so often I try to do that.  I mean they don’t have to be long, just  nice looking.

Unfortunately, for whatever genetic reason, I have these huge striations or ridges in every nail paralleling the fingers about every 1/16 of an inch. When I did apply polish, it had to be quite thick to cover up those lines.   If I get any of my nails to grow out, say even to the tips of my fingers, just breathing on them causes major cracks where those ridges end. I then have to clip back the entire nail or the crack will immediately work its way back into the nail. I suppose there are topical solutions I can use to harden the nails but then that would make them more noticeable then just nicely longer, gently manicured ones, and I’m out with others too much to do that.

I do keep thinking of piercing my ears, and going with studs in general public but that would make my adult children’s heads explode. But I can understand all too well, the longing for being able to do even those ‘little’ things

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by ChloeC.
      5 users thanked author for this post.
      Sharon
      Lady
      Registered On: July 27, 2020
      Topics: 6
      Replies: 94

Very envious.  I tried growing mine but it is really hard prototyping with tiny surface mount electronic components, so I can’t practically do it.    I now know why the girls I work with don’t have long nails.  It is bad enough that the polish scratches so easy, but I have learnt to live with that, paler colours don’t show the scratches so much.

Bridgette VonSmirff
        Lady
        Registered On: October 18, 2020
        Topics: 17
        Replies: 445

I agree with you that we’re in a better place now than probably ever. Most companies have policies that support Inclusion and Diversity, and some of us on this site have come out at work successfully. I too got my ears pierced last fall, and love it. I’ve also started growing my nails and shaping them some. I’ve always had issues with them breaking or cracking, and am having dune success with Essie brand’s “Treat Love and Color” line, using the clear, and my cracking and breaking are down a lot. Cortney suggested biotin, I’ll have to try that.

Thanks for the positive post,  Genevieve.

Bridgette vS

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account