Viewing 25 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

As more and more of us spend our day staring at a screen till our eyes nearly explode, it’s nice to take a break with a good book.  As much as I love a good movie nothing beats a good book where my imagination can take over and whisk me away like no special effects laden movie ever can.  Case in point:  The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker, a remarkable author from Liverpool with a truly disturbingly bizarre imagination.  No movie could capture what my minds eye sees as I read a book like this.

Anyone else choose a good book over a good movie?  Reading ( books) is becoming a lost art it seems, and that’s a shame.

I think I should pick myself up a cute little Librarian outfit…. 😊 and spread the word.

Stevie

Anonymous

Hi Stevie,

There’s nothing like starting at the top! What a humdinger of a book you chose.

I think I’m fairly open to either a book or a movie. I’m always on the look out for that extra special ‘one off’ experience that just blows you away. And on that criterion I guess there’s a lot more books out there than movies to choose from.

It’s also really nice when a great book successfully translates to a movie or TV. I’m thinking of books like ‘Lord of the Rings’, or ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ – I almost dreaded watching them – how could they possibly translate? But they did.

Stevie Steiner
        Managing Ambassador

Those two were very successful book to movie attempts.  Michael Crichton has been lucky that way, Stephen King not as much.

Worst example:  Battlefield Earth.  Amazing epic sci-fi read; utterly terrible piece of crap movie.

Anonymous

Book to Movie success….The Godfather I.

A few years ago some people much younger than me were discussing books to movie.

I said The Godfather was the best.

They replied..

The Godfather was a book????

Hugs

Jessica

When I was in high school, i wasn’t a prolific reader, but I would read the occassional novel (mostly stephen king or clive barker).

After graduating and entering post secondary, I stopped reading novels and was just too busy doing school projects/reading text books.  Upon graduating from post secondary, I stopped reading books altogether.

So my vote is a good movie.  I’ve become a little more visual, so a movie fits the bill.

Anonymous

My parents were avid readers and passed the passion to me.

Still remember the trips to the library with my mom.

Book over a movie for me. And I mean a real book that you can hold and turn the pages.

Jessica

Anonymous

Book over a movie for me. And I mean a real book that you can hold and turn the pages.”

I know what you mean, Jessica, there’s nothing like a real book, but in praise of e-readers:

– my ancient 8 year old e-reader weighs less than a paperback, and has a library of 900 books. If I’ve escaped winter to a sunny asian beach, I’m never short of a read!

– I can add to it if I want, there’s loads of space left, and there’s always project gutenberg for free top ups of old authors out of copyright –  Free eBooks | Project Gutenberg

– it’s backlit but still has great battery life and I can easily change the font size if my eyes get tired.

So, not all bad.

I enjoy both. What upsets me is when someone takes a great book and turns it into a terrible movie. Perfect example is The Shining by Stephen King. When I read the book I was totally engrossed, couldn’t put it down. When the movie came out I went to see it, and left after 30 minutes. The only King book that had been made into a good movie was made for TV – Salem’s Lot. Then Frank Darabont came along and did justice to King. Sorry I digress, I have always been an avid reader and I love visualizing in my mind what the author is telling and describing. I have read Lord of the Ring 35 times and every time I tear up at the end when the Fellowship comes to an end. I also enjoy a well done movie and how it can move me.

One last comment, if a movie maker wants to make a movie from a great book and you can’t be true to it and do it justice, DON’T do it.

Mary Priscilla
        Duchess - Annual

Jennifer:

What about “Shawshank Redemption?” I thought it was a great Stephen King book and, of course, now a cult-classic movie.

The movie was directed by Frank Darabont as was The Green Mile and The Mist. He became the only director Stephen King trusts to make his books into movies.

Stevie Steiner
        Managing Ambassador

Michael Crichton has probably had the most success in book to film transitions.  Some of the Tom Clancy films have been entertaining, but I like Harrison Ford….

But you’re right, if you cant do a book justice, don’t even try.

Mary Priscilla
      Duchess - Annual

I like movies and reading books equally. In terms of great cinema, watch “The Queen’s Gambit” on Netflix.

I’m a big reader.  I have been for most of my adult life.  It went into high gear in my fifties, overdrive in retirement, and the stratosphere in the COVID.  9 out of 10 times I might agree that a book can be better than a movie because it doesn’t limit the imagination.  But, as one of my college advisors often said, “It’s a different art form,” and it shouldn’t be compared.  That said, I just finished a very good book (Let Him Go) that is not as good as the new movie of the same name.  The producer/director wrote the screen play and his modifications made it a better story.  https://youtu.be/bE8pwEF-3TI.  It’s not a happy tale, but a great book and better movie.  It available on pay for view.  Cost $19.95, but it came infection free and the beer and popcorn were cheap!

FAM

Anonymous

I have never been a reader and therefor I am not a good reader. So for me it’s movies. I do enjoy girly movies a lot.

Kathleen

Anonymous

I’ve read lots of books over the years but at the moment with this lock down i just can’t seem to get it to Reading a book,

I like reading Clive Cussler novels a lot of action and adventure the hero gets rid off the bad guys saves the world and gets the girl,

I could be the girl in one of his novels x lol x

Well i can dream can’t i be x lol x

Hugs Rozalyne x

Speaking of movies, I just read a piece on the upcoming HBO documentary miniseries called “The Lady and the Dale.”  It’s the story of trans woman Liz Carmichael and her fraudulent attempts to market an economy car in the 1970s, called the “Dale.”  I have been a car buff for most of my life and a CD for almost as long.  In the mid 70s, when Carmichael was doing her business, I was just learning about “transvestism.”  In those days, the library was the only source vehicle.  Virginia Prince and Marietta Pathy Allen were the only authorities.  I may have read about Carmichael in Motor Trend, although they only touched on her transgenderism.  They may have believed and written that she was a female-impersonator.  Many originally perceived that her female dress and appearance were a guise to escape the grasp of law enforcement.  A now more informed society and open minded investigators believe she was a true transgendered woman who’d had at least some body modifications, although the references are oblique.

I remember being fascinated with her story then, for obvious reasons.  My journey was still in adolescence.  Several times, I’ve tried to Google “female auto executive” or other topics to find the story – with no success.  Well, low and behold, the story about the HBO documentary came up on the Hemmings (auto-buff) website this morning.  You can Google Liz Carmichael.  I was thrilled!  This is a special piece of history for any of us on the gender-fluid spectrum.

FAM

Book! Your mind has a much larger budget and production than any movie firm will ever have.

-SR-

ChloeC
      Duchess

I used to read a lot of books, but for whatever reason, I’ve moved to magazines, subscriptions that is. I get several which are related to very specific interests I have (well, outside of dressing, duh) and I like to be able to read a complete article in one sitting and then put it down and maybe not get back to it for a day or two for another.  I also don’t care to read online mags as I like to browse through a magazine and see what’s interesting, online to me anyway curtails that kind of activity.

Before covid my SO and I would go to movies that looked interesting, often with friends for the 2PM cheap showing.  I’ll also watch some movies on cable (especially TCM and HBO).

I also have been watching downloads from ‘The Great Courses’ again in my favored interests. I’d slip the headphones on from my smart phone, get on the treadmill at the fitness center and  listen or watch either 2 30 minutes lessons or 1 45 minute lesson/chapter, (takes the boredom completely out of the 3 mph walk) but again covid shut down the fitness centers so I cut back on that.

I am trying to get through 2 somewhat technical books, but haven’t yet forced myself into the daily habit I need.  (coming online for the various sites and newsfeeds is soooo much easier, sigh)

Got my first shot today, so things are looking up to resume those habits I had developed.

I absolutely love books over most TV programming.   Once I learned to read in kindergarten and 1st grade, I became almost voracious in my reading.   Mornings before school, I would read ‘everything ‘ printed on my breakfast cereal box (all 6 sides) from the ingredients to the technical information about the box.  I still read constantly and would probably go into deep depression if I couldn’t.

Currently, I am rereading ‘The Lord Of The Rings’ even though I have read it many times since Jr High school.   This one is special edition that my sister and her family gave me this past Christmas.   It is the trilogy all in one book, bound in red leather with a locking strap.  It came in wooden sleeve, also covered in red leather.  As the title of the book within the story is ‘The Red Book Of West March’, it such a special gift from my family.  It’s pretty heavy too, lol.

It will be well worth missing some mind numbing TV to make that journey through the pages of that book again.

PaulaF

“Frodo Lives”….. as the old graffiti used to say.

Anonymous

Hi Librarian Stevie…nice topic…

I love a good book, and I have collected most of Bernard Cornwell’s offerings. He writes historical stories, which are very descriptive…and the battles are so well described, you could be there.  He is best known for his “Sharpe” novels, which were dramatised for T.V., but everything I have read is wonderful..and his King Arthur trilogy is magnificent.

if I had one moan….nearly all of his featured ” leading men” have virtually unpronounceable names!!

Grace xx

Books all the way. I have been reading some fantastic science fiction novels that I was able to discover because I have diverted my entertainment budget to books.

Anonymous

Books for sure but I like movies too. Some of my favorite authors are Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Richard Wright, Albert Payson Terhune, C.S. Lewis, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens. Literature is full of thought-provoking wisdom.

Was having a great conversation with another lovely lady on this site the other day, and a few Dostoyevsky quotes came to mind that are probably relevant to CDing, all from Crime and Punishment (these are from my memory so may not be exact):

“Pain and suffering are inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. I think the really great men must have great sadness on earth.”

“Hell is the suffering of being unable to love.”

and

“The darker the night, the brighter the stars; the deeper the pain, the closer is God.”

God bless,
      Steph

Definitely more movie then book in general. Next to random youtube videos probably my most frequent viewing is Critical Role’s streamed game of Dungeons and Dragons (each episode is about 3.5 hours). Or I’m thinking about storyline’s for my own D&D game during the day.

Sivvi

Anonymous

Iam and always have been an avid reader although I enjoy a good movie, I recall being entranced by Bladerunners visuals when it was first released, but sadly the ratio of successful book to movie releases is fairly low.

Stevie Steiner
        Managing Ambassador

One can lose themselves in a book in a way you can never with a movie.  And no visual effects can compete with an imagination. 🙂

Stevie

I have ploughed through enough ‘cough’ boughs of tough trees… Howzat! But back to what I was saying… I have read enough Roman history to be quite au fait with the story but then I stumbled across Colleen McCulloch’s series on the Republic of Rome to the rise of Augustus! I admit, freely, that I got lost in the telling… a master (mistress) storyteller!
          Rome like I have never experienced it before… just like living there it was so vivid!

Ave Polly

Hi Stevie!

I’m going to opt for movie. I don’t like spending that much time in a book these days. I drive a lot of milage commuting to jobs so I tend to listen to audio books when I can. I have always been a big Stephen King fan. I can’t believe anyone walked out on the Shining at the theater….Really Jennifer Lynn? But yes most of his movies were produced and directed by brain dead zombie monkeys. I though “It” was done very well.

As for Clive Barker…. I read two of his books at the recommendation of a coworker. The first one was really good. Dark and graphic as hell but I liked it. The second one, managed to physically turn my stomach at one point. I couldn’t tell you the names of the books at this point or much of the story lines as it has been over 20 years. Let’s just say his work isn’t for the faint hearted.

For a nice series of books that are interesting but not serious. I recommend the McNally series of books by Lawrence Sanders. His books are mysteries and are always well done. The McNally series in particular are light hearted and star the young playboy Archie McNally who works in the “discrete inquiries” department of his fathers distinguished law-firm. The first one is called McNally’s Secret and you should be going out and getting a copy right now….. Or ordering it online….. or audible…. or kindle…. Library app?

Hugs

Autumn

Stevie Steiner
        Managing Ambassador

Hi Autumn!  Yeah, I hate not having the time I would like to enjoy my books.  The days of a summer day just sitting under a tree with a good novel are far too rare now.  I do love the audio tapes, they help pass away the long road trips.  I still have a stack of cassettes from the 90’s!  Wish I could play them!  Lol.

Stevie

Dear Stevie

The word is… a book! The book thief… the good book… a good book… the book I’m reading… the book I should write… the book of fun things to do for boys and girls… the book of 1001 jokes… the book from which there is no rubbing out… Barbara Cartland books… recipe books… the book of rare shirt labels… the book of no return… the book of dinkum dunnies…

A book will take you so much further in your imagination than any film will with one exception ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy. An exceptional movie that melds into the book form so very well.

I live for the written word and have done since I could read. I think even then I could understand the great freedom books give us and why books are banned or burnt!

I recommend one about our plight… sort of, ‘Middlesex’

Polly’s Pleasure Perusing Parchments xxx

Stevie Steiner
        Managing Ambassador

Word.

I think that’s a… word the youngin’s used 10 years ago.  Lord I gotta get with the times 😂.

I have a fertile enough imagination as it is, but when I immerse myself in a good story my mind goes to different places.  ( no jokes please, lol ).  Just recently finished rereading Eddings’ Belgarion series (fantasy), and now reacquainting myself with Larry Nivens ‘Known Universe’.  Classic old school sci fi.

Books:  No batteries required.  🙂

A cute little Librarian outfit would be so appropriate for me!

Stevie

[postquote quote=455795]

cassettes?? There I go feeling old again. I have only a few left after all these years. There was a mix tape someone gave me back in the summer of 1985 that I would love to have again.

Do you know the freezer trick for cassettes and VHS tapes?

When the tape gets off track and gets mangled in the machine….. Carefully remove the tape from the machine and wind back into the cassette/vhs tape by hand. Next fast forward and rewind the tape 2 or three times to re-tension the tape on the spools. Put in the freezer for 10 hours or more. Remove from freezer and allow to “thaw” for a day. Then re-tension again with ff and rewind once. In most cases the tape will perform like new again.

Hugs

I think that it all depends on people’s preferences. There are some subjects like history that I would like to read than to see in a movie.

Stevie Steiner
        Managing Ambassador

Absolutely agree.  Most of my non fiction books are military history.  Movies are fun, but cant compare in this regard.  …. wargames are a great interactive history book in a way too, actually.

Stevie

Anonymous

Most military history books are far to detailed for movies and 90% of it would end up on the editing room floor or your going to have an 8 hour movie. Even good fiction books, one of my favourites, Hannibal would have been extremely long to include all the fine details but yes the theatre in my mind loved it.

Stevie Steiner
            Managing Ambassador

Wish they would try to make more movies of military history books tho’.  Just finished re-reading the Sunday Times of London:  War in the Falklands – the full story.  40 year anniversary coming up and still waiting for the UK to make a movie of their last successful military campaign.

Anonymous

That would be interesting, the Falkland’s is like the forgotten war, not very much written about it definitely nothing on film. As long as the British do it though, I can’t handle the American documentaries, they tend to be the only ones there. I’ve been following a story on the war in the pacific and it seems they fought the Japanese by themselves. No Australians, Kiwis, Canadians, just them.

Anonymous

I think a good book is best as it last longer but my trouble is I’m usually reading 2 or 3 books at a time which is another one of my bad habits xx

Anonymous

I am currently reading “Finding Myself” by Karen Lyra. I highly reccomend!

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Stevie, Being retired I spend a lot of time reading and watching movies.  I really can’t decide between the two of them as I love them both.

My latest book is “All Together Now” by Alan Doyle.  Yes, you are correct, he is Canadian, from Newfoundland (and is the lead singer of Great Big Sea).  It is a wonderful read – lots of stories from throughout his life, many quite funny.  And I happen to be the Vice-Chair of our local Library Board, so that tells you that I definitely have a love for books.  Oh, if you are looking for a job as a librarian so you can wear your cute outfit all the time, let me know.

And in terms of movies, I’m in the middle of watching my wife’s film festival online.  As a Canadian you have free access to it (just Google Reel Shorts Film Festival).  I watched the pyscho shorts package last night, very entertaining if you are into shlock films.  I volunteer to review the films for my SO and I’ve watched over 10,000 films in the past four years – evidence of my love for film.

Have a lovely weekend, stay safe, stay healthy, All the Best, Hugs, Krista.

Books, I love books. I don’t mind movies but there is something about a book that is so comforting and relaxing.

I prefer classics and romance and sometimes sci fi and fantasy. Then for nonfiction it really doesn’t matter, but I am currently read heavily in feminism and gender studies.

Great post, Stevie.
      I am a lifelong reader, I seldom watch tv, or see a movie, and I think the last time in a theater was in the 70’s, took my oldest son to see the first star wars, lol
      I read a couple of books a week, now, and when I was an over the road driver, I read 5 to 6,each week.
      There is nothing like a good book to escape reality, without chemicals, lol
      Hugs, Regi👩💕

I believe the author’s name is Harry Turtledove,if memory is right, who has written a series of alternative history novels, from different era. Good stuff.

Anonymous

Stephen King has written so many great books also like h b lovecraft too

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?