• This topic has 23 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Steph.
Viewing 11 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Steph
      Lady

I am going to get acrylic nails for the first time and am debating between almond and coffin/ballerina. I am going with a medium length. I want advice strictly based on appearance, not functionality. I’ll be away on vacation, so functionality isn’t necessary for anything like work.

Please note that even though I’ve never had acrylics, I’ve worn fake nails in medium and long lengths several times. This will be the first time anyone else sees them, since they’ll be on for about a week.

If you don’t mind, please comment with your reasoning.

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by BillieJay.

Hi Steph,
      I recommend almond as they’re so much more feminine and graceful in appearance. I’m a trans woman and wear long acrylics all the time, check out my photo’s on my profile page, there are several pictures showing my long nails.

Hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

Steph
        Lady

Thank you! They look great. I’ll be in guy mode most of the trip. Still think the very feminine almond nails? I mean, any long nail with pretty colors will look out of place on a male, so I guess it doesn’t matter! 🙂

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

I prefer almond shape.  I also prefer gel nails vs acrylic.  They’re safer for your nail beds and more flexible.

Steph
        Lady

Is that like a full sculpted nail? If so, the few places that I checked said they don’t do sculpted. I wanted to go with that, but figured better acrylic than nothing.

I will be in guy mode for like 95% of the time I have my nails. Still think almond?

Emily Alt
          Managing Ambassador

The salon I go to does full sculpted gel nails.  They don’t do acrylics at all.  If you live near a larger city it shouldn’t be too hard to find a salon that does them.

I would go with a shorter length natural shape nail with a neutral color if I needed to be in guy mode most of the time.

Save the longer feminine shapes for when you have dedicated girly time.  At least a few days.

Steph
            Lady

Ok, you’ve talked me into sculpted. I may go a little shorter than first planned, but I’m still getting them. I know people will notice them while I’m in male mode, but I’m ok with that. It’s only for a few days. They’re my nails! 🙂

Tonya 66
      Duchess

I used to get coffin cut, they seem to work well for less than feminine hands and make them look better. I really like them, and you can still do everything with them.

I use a Square thats rounded slightly and fairly short, maybe 1/8 to 3/16″ longer the normal. To me they still look nice and I find it easier to do those things you need fingers for!

Happy New Year,

Sandy

J J
      Lady

It all depends on how much attention (or not) you want to bring to your nails. I like a moderate length, but a fairly muted color (a soft pink or white) if I want to less obvious in male mode. Of course if I am fully en femme, red is always fun, but also I like bright metallic blue.

J J
      Lady

Just an FYI, but I have worn colored nails in guy mode several times, including long press on, colored nails, and never had an issue, other then complements. People notice, but don’t care. Wearing around family and friends might be a different issue.

Just an aside, I went for a mani/pedi with my wife and 27 year old daughter yesterday, no color, but just to get all the cracks, chips, and ridges taken care of. The technician asked if I wanted color, and I said no, but she suggested I match my wife’s color, I again declined. Then, as she was doing my toes she, said “you have worn color before, pink”. Apparently there was a tiny bit left from a previous application. While my wife knows I occasionally add color, my daughter didn’t, but now obviously does…oh well! Knowing my daughter, she wouldn’t care in the least.

Steph
        Lady

Thanks for the info! Yes, I’ve worn color before in public and never heard any comments or anything. It’s only been a few times and I realized that I subconsciously hid my nails when walking around. One time, I worn short light pink press ons, and I heard a girl say “did you see that pink?” when I walked past. I assume it was about me, but not sure.

I always get color on my toes, but hide it. I went to the beach last year with a light pink on my toes and wore flip flops all week. That was the only time I’ve displayed them in public and didn’t get any comments or have issues.

I’m sure at some points I’ll run into some negative comments, but oh well. I don’t expect everyone to understand, but I also don’t need them to.

J J
          Lady

I doubt anybody would comment, except possibly a friend or acquaintance. A strange might make a comment to a friend loud enough for you to hear, but why worry about that. I was recently SCUBA diving and one of the male divers on the boat had blue toe nails which everyone could see, and nobody made a comment. Why would they?

The only comments I have had were positive about liking the color, and one art museum attendant commented and showed me his intricately detailed nails. I very often go out with a very light shade of pink, that is barely noticeable. It is so subtle my wife never noticed it until one day and I said I have been wearing it on and off for six months. It just is not that big a deal.

Steph
            Lady

I guess I just assume I’ll hear some negativity, since it’s not the norm. I’d also rather be mentally prepared for some negative comments just in case. I don’t want to be caught off guard and just freak out. I’d rather assume it could happen and be prepared to shrug it off.

I’ll likely still semi hide my nails while walking around, but I’m going to try not to. And I’ll end up having to eat in public and pay cashiers and things like that. In the past, I’ve been able to avoid that. With fake nails for a few days, it’ll be unavoidable, so I want to make sure I’m mentally prepared for potential negativity. I hope to not encounter any! And you’re probably right, I won’t.

To this point, I have never had the courage and time to do nails, that may be changing. So, I am anxious to hear how it goes. Good luck.

Steph, Talking about acrylic nails is so apropos for me. Long nails are very feminine, beautiful, and graceful looking, as we all know. I just had my first set applied last month. I’d been thinking about it for a while and during an errand run, I found myself next to a nail salon. What the hell I thought. Went in, asked for a full set of acrylics, waited about 5 min and boom sitting with a tech determining what shape/style I wanted. Went with almond with a clear finish. Love ‘em. Just had my first fill yesterday. Only problem I’ve encountered so far is it’s very hard to button my shirts and typing. No problems with being in public with these beautiful nails. Still contemplating color when I go for my next fill. Have fun Steph on your vacation.

Steph
        Lady

Oh wow, you just got the courage to do it and you’ve worn them for a month straight? I plan to do it for a few days, that’s it. However, I am getting color! I’ve been talked into sculpted nails instead of acrylics, and this group has convinced me to go almond. I’ll be getting a noticeable length and am planning light pink cat eye for the color. I’m excited! A little over a week away.

Rayna Carlian
          Duchess

After going through the trouble of getting them done, I kept mine(with color) for a month… I loved them! Lynda getting “filled” means that her real nail has grown out enough twice to have the back end of the acrylic “filled” with more acrylic to keep the shape all the way back to the cuticle. Way to go Lynda! I only removed mine because my wife believes that they’re “bad” for your real nails and she started hounding me about it…. Good luck, let us know how the sculted nails work out!

Have fun out there!

xoxo

Rayna

As any addendum, Steph, when I said “a while” read about 18 months. I tried home applications, just let my own nails grow, etc. Every time I passed a nail salon, I always thought I should just do it and so I finally did it. Wasn’t a real “spur of the moment” moment. Same thing happened with my ear piercings. My first piercing was done back in the 70’s, just a simple star stud (for Texas yall) done at local mall jewelry store. Only lasted about a year (due to career choices I removed it) Fast forward 40 years and still wanting another. So as of today, I have 4 solid gold captive bead rings and an industrial piercing in my ears. Got some looks when I got them and still get them occasionally now. But you know what, nobody cares. My kids and grand kids call me cool. I’m starting to think about changing them out for dangleys. I’m sure I’ll get some looks but I don’t care anymore. Life’s too short to worry about other people.

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I  have done acrylics before. I myself prefer almond shaped.

I loved the strength of the nails… Taking them off, THAT was a pain….ACTUAL pain.

The lady that removed them used an acrylic “tip” that they glue to your nail to create length. she used it like a shovel to DIG under the acrylic and pry it off. GEEZUS it was a pain.

I spoke to another nail tech that has long nails herself. She just soaks her acrylics in acetone for 15min and uses a tool to “just push them off” and they slide off…

I plan to try them again, just not gonna let them remove them like that again.

They were great though, I left them on for weeks…

Good luck!

xoxo

Rayna

Steph
        Lady

Yikes! This group talked me into changing to sculpted nails, so I hope it’s not that same painful removal. I had initially wanted sculpted but the first two places that I checked didn’t do it, so I just went acrylic for the appointment. Then after some replies on here, I called another place and found that they do sculpted, so that’s what I went with and canceled the original appointment.

Acrylic nails are awesome!  They look great and there are so many options.  My choice would be almond shape.  Pick a color that matches your mood for your trip.

I do agree with the comments on removal.  It is different than other nail polish or press on nails.  Be prepared to soak them and soak them in acetone!  I have heard that cotton balls soaked in acetone wrapped in foil around your finger tips works well too.  This will prevent painful digging and pulling!

Steph
        Lady

I have an appointment for them to be removed at the same salon at the end of my trip. Thank you though!

Steph
      Lady

Ok ladies, I did it! Thanks for all the advice. I went with sculpted almond nails. She asked if I wanted a 2, and I asked what length hers were. She said 3. I still thought 2 might be too long for me, but went with it. As she was going, they looked sooooo long. “They’ll get shorter when I shape them, don’t worry.” When she got done, she put hers next to mine and said “look, same length!! It’s ok, you’re on vacation.”

Well, I was terrified for the next few hours. Eventually, my fear subsided and I just went about my business. And girl, I rocked those nails! Got several compliments on them and everything. I miss them already! Oh well, now I know not to be so scared next time. Pic uploaded to my public photos.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?