Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Has anyone gone to a seamstress to have a garment altered for a better fit? I have a dress that I love, but would like for it to fit a little better.

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I’ve been tempted. But the areas that I usually want altered are due to not having hips proportional to my chest size, making the dress loose below the waist. I am shopping for hip/glute pads to compensate.

The waist size being too big is actually the area that I’m still considering having some alterations made.

I’m 46-36-41… some of the dresses have a bigger waist simply because I had to buy a 2 or 3 XL and they assume I’m apple shaped.

So, thinking about it, but haven’t yet…

XOXO

Anonymous

Hello Darcy,

The problem stating the obvious is altering a dress made for the body shape of a woman to fit the body shape of a man.

I had a problem with a dress and it just didn’t fit right because of my shoulders.

I took it to a seamstress that had been in the business for years and she was able to make some alterations to it. Perfect no but I love the dress and happy with the work she did on it.

I would discuss it with someone who has been in business for years or even taking it to a tailor.

Jessica

My wife has some dune minor alterations, really just taking in a wee bit where there isn’t enough of me for the size I have to buy due to shoulders usually. If it’s really simple, I can do it myself as long as I’ve got some help to do the fitting/pinning, the machine is easy to run.

Bridgette

Hi Darcey as Bridgette said my wife and i both sew so we do all of Stephanies alterations  as yes she is a broad shouldered girl so to make things fit better it has to be altered a bit .. I made my daughters first prom dress as she was heavy in the boob department so nothing we looked at would come close to her siz bust and being a bit shorter than most she picked out the pattern and material and with help from wife a little i made it it was wonderful ..

Stephanie

I took a women’s shorts that were too big in the legs (big in the legs due to me having to get them big in the waist) to a fashion designer and she turned them into a nice mini skirt. I have taken men’s collared and non collared shirts to her and gotten great woman looking shirts in return. I have some men’s jeans that I would like turned into maxi or midi skirts as well as more collared shirts made feminine next. So ladies, we can have more than just dresses altered to fit us and make us look good right?

Yes; when I first started to accumulate clothing, I would take in skirts/pants to be tailored.

But what I found out is that the tailoring cost more than what i paid for the article of clothing so I stopped getting things tailored.  It was cheaper for me to find clothing that fit that to get it tailored.

I have had some dresses altered.

I find because men have wider shoulders some alterations may be needed to make the dress fit better.

Alanna

When I lived in New York State there was a woman who did alterations who lived 3-4 blocks for me. Before I went, we talked about what I wanted done and also did she have any problems with trans people. Turns out that she had a close relative who was gay. She mentioned his name, and while I had never met the person, I had heard the name. She did very nice work and I really miss not having her available since I moved to Southern California.

Since I retired and relocated, I haven’t gotten around to looking for someone to do alterations.

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

1/. I did some networking with  one of the lovely make up artists I use for make overs and found a CR friendly alteration service.  It’s quite a while ago now, but I think I needed something done to one of my evening gowns

Much, much  later, (after  a lot of years of getting bolder??), I broke the zip on the camisole top of one of my mother of the bride outfits.

So I just went to another alterations place and asked them to replace the zip. All very easy and “no correspondence or questions were entered into”

Caty.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Caty Ryan.

I pretty much have everything altered although recently I have lost some weight so a regular 16 is fitting well. I also have my pencil skits taken in below the hip for a more hourglass shape.

I have always bought dresses based on my shoulders and then padded and tailored accordingly. I have a page on my website that will give you information on sizing https://mickifinn.com/crossdresser-female-shape/

I also just did a post on Crossdresser Butts for those who don’t wear hip pads. In the next few days I will be releasing a new post on crossdresser back fat which crossdressers don’t notice but everyone else does especially walking behind you.

I post at least once per month discussing either my last adventure or tips and tricks for crossdressers so if you subscribe to my blog, you will be notified when new posts come out.

Good Luck,

Mick Finn

Harriette
      Lady

I have one pair of pants which would fit better with a narrower waist band. Maybe I can make a couple of small tucks without butchering them.

I also have a pair of shorts that I would like the waist taken in. finding somebody to do it is a problem and would probably cost more than getting anotherair, if i could find them. Best, Marlene.

Harriette
          Lady

Taking in the waistband should be relatively simple and easy to do at home. I haven’t tried yet, but I need to research how it is done without making it obvious.

“Relatively easy” is a relative term: Easy for most but not for somebody like me who has, much to their shame, not touched a needle except to get a splinter out of my hand.

It is an elasticated waistband. I wear them all the time and nobody has commented that they are meant for a lady as they have no front zipper.

I will try and find a clothing cleaning store as they generally have somebody that does alterations. There was one close to where we live but they closed during the pandemic like many other personal service stores.

I do not have to hide from my SO so no worries there. Best, Marlene..

Harriette
            Lady

An elastic waistband would be more of a challenge, for sure. Mine is not, so I am going to give it a try. It won’t be destructive, so reversible.

If I need any alterations my wife does them for me.  When I first came out to her she said she didn’t want to see me dressed, but when I got a new (or new to me) outfit she had me try them on to make sure they fit right.  If alterations were needed she would take care of them.  She said if I was going to dress I may as well look pretty and the clothes should fit right.  We have progressed to where there are times I spend the day dressed with her.  I love her for her support.

XOXO
      Suzanne

Suzanne what a sweet wife you have! The thought of my wife saying if your going to dress like a women your going to look pretty would be music to my ears.

Anonymous

That is really special so glad to hear that. Its hard for spouses I totally understand why, but it warms my heart to hear of those that can embrace it (even if it takes time). Thanks 🙂

– Lilly

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?