• This topic has 45 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Molly.
Viewing 28 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Back in the days when my mum thought I was cute, (well not as a teenage that’s for sure) when I first learnt to write I started with my left hand. As I progressed my father for some unknown reason to me, always tried to make me write with my right hand. For many hours I would have to practice, which being young I didn’t understand and thought this was normal to do. Only when I was old enough I realised it wasn’t, and stubbornly refused to write right handed. I am of course now ambidextrous. So I was wondering were others on here made to write with both hands, if not, are you a left hand writer, or right hand writer?.

Hi Amanda,

I’m right handed.  Had a college roommate who was left handed.  Like your father my roommate’s parents tried to write right handed.  It didn’t catch on and he continued to write left handed.

Many simple things are designed for those who are right handed like scissors.  Using right handed items by a southpaw (a nickname for those who are left handed) can be quite difficult so left handed products were developed.

Alice

Anonymous

Southpaw is also the title of a very good movie.

Anonymous

I’m right handed when it comes to most things. But I shoot left handed when it comes to standard pistols and swing both ways with a baseball bat.

Anonymous

As I like to say incredibly right handed, my left is just there to hit with a hammer.

[postquote quote=429580]
      Hi Amanda,

Yes, it is.  Seems you enjoyed the film.

Alice

karley delaware
      Baroness - Annual

I am a lefty.     To deal with lockdown boredom I would practice writing with my right hand.   Gotten better at it. The appearance is very similar to that of a school girl.   So when in Pink,I like to write with my right hand.  My notes look so girly and will add flowers , happy faces, dog faces………karley

I have always written right handed, due to years of doing technical drawings I actually print most of the time. I can use most of my tools left handed, I trained it over time to overcome troubles from minor right hand injuries, fatigue, and working in tight or left only accessible areas. It comes in handy.

Born and raised as a righty.  About the only thing my left hand is good for is holding things.

I do remember a couple of kids in elementary school that struggled with writing right handed because their parents wanted them to, but they were actually lefties.

PaulaF

Amy Myers
      Baroness

I’m pretty ambidextrous, and it come from playing piano since I was a kid. Though I do not write too well with my left, I usually use my computer mouse with my left, and because of that many natural lefties have commented on it, and are then surprised when I say I’m not a real lefty.

As Olivia said, it does come in handy being able to do most of what I do with my left as I do with my right, as I’m now suffering from arthritis and mainly in my right hand.

Amy

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

A pure south paw here Amanda.  I remember growing up hearing of others being forced to write with their right hand, luckily I never had to go through that.

The number of times I would hit heads with a righty when tilting heads to kiss….. 🙄.

Stevie

Gail Rich
      Lady

I do almost everything right handed. But when I was growing up, I was a big fan of Mickey Mantle, so I taught myself to switch hit. I actually became a better contact hitter from the left side.

Predominantly a righty, but when holding a baseball bat/hockey stick etc is usually as a lefty. Go figure.

Anonymous

How do you tell for a hockey stick? Is it the lower hand?

It’s been AGES so forgive me if I explain this badly. The curve of the blade indicates the direction you hold the stick and take the shot.

It is the side of the body where the blade sits when held by both hands and therefore the lower hand when the stick is down. The curve is in response to the side that you shoot from. I play with a left handed hockey stick, write right handed, bat left, throw right, shoot guns right and am only ambidextrous when it comes to drinking.

Amanda

I’m a Southpaw!!  Although computer mouse and long gun I’m right handed.

Gotta love how Jimi Hendrix took a Righty guitar and strung it upside down to play left-handed.

xo Robyn

Anonymous

Although I only write with my right hand most other things I use my left like for example? When I used to play snooker id be left handed, playing darts id be left hand in fact you name it I used my left 😆 LOL

Im right handed, but my SO is a lefty.
      Back in the day, her teachers would rap her knuckles, and make her write Right side, it’s just the way it was
      Regi.

Anonymous

Totally Left-dominant. Left-handed, left-eye dominant, and even my left foot is the larger – the opposite of how shoes are made – which makes getting a decent fit a b***h.

Bettylou

Anonymous

I’m right handed, but it’s barely legible and honestly not much better than if I try with my left!

When I was at infant school I’d write with either hand, only problem was that when I used my left hand I’d write from right to left which would have made an interesting read. My teacher had to teach me to use my right hand.

I’m naturally right handed, but at one point in my military career an injury forced me to very quickly learn to write left handed. It was always ugly, but legible. I still can write left handed, but still very ugly.

Bridgette vS

Stephanie Flowers
      Ambassador

I’m a left-hand add always had been. Even back in my younger years in elementary school. The staff there tried their hardest to convert me,  I was strapped,  punished in every way even failing me in grade 3. It was run by nuns (that’s all I’m going to say about that)

My mother was angered by this and had me moved  to another school to which I’ve never looked back… I’m still to this day soured by that time and likely always be…  Thats a touchy subject to me. 😡

I’m right-handed.

Mandy Wife
      Baroness

I’m left handed and still remember the day my mum caught me doing my “right handed writing” for homework as the teacher insisted I do it and not use my left hand – she marched up to the school and had an almighty showdown with the teacher!  Needless to say, there was no more right handed homework and my seat on class was moved so I was able to write properly and wasn’t stuck on the wrong end of the desk!

And don’t get me started on kids safety scissors – the kids (all eighties) used to think it was hilarious to ask me to cut paper for them with kids scissors …… And the paper just used to fold over and not cut!

I do bits & bobs like use a mouse right handed but I’m finding being a leftie is more awkward now I’m getting older and new things take me longer to adapt to.

Anonymous

I’m naturally right handed but many years ago i broke my right wrist and had my arm in plaster for at least 6 months so had to learn to write with my left hand,

Afterwards i went back to writing with my right hand and gave up writing with my left hand but I’m sure with a little practice i could learn to write with my left hand again,

Hugs Rozalyne x

Anonymous

Left handed here but can do some writing with right hand if really have to like if break left hand or something. Oh can almost past for some doctors handwriting with right hand lol

Anonymous

My dad did the same thing Amanda, I started out writing left handed, but I remember my dad said , “we are not left handers in this family “ so he forced me to write with my right hand. I can only write with my right hand now, but I shave , brush my teeth and eat only left handed!

Anonymous

Well I am really sorry Effie to read that you too were forced to write, right handed too. Seems to have been a big thing years ago, even when I started school, the teachers too also expected you to write right handed, and was made to write right handed in lessons.

Hippie
      Lady

I was right handed till I broke my right arm when was young. So i taught my self to write left handed. Well I got good at that, so I went a step farther and taught myself to write with both hands at the same time. Plus, I used to be able to do mirrior writing as well, but have not done that in a long time. I doubt I if I even can still do it. Most likely i cant no more. Maybe I will try latter and see if i still can.

Mirror writting is where you write in handwriting backwords. Then hold it up to the mirror to read it normal.

Hippie

Anonymous

Gosh, I’ve never tried writing with both hands at the same time, even though I can write with both. Going to give that a go Hippie.

Hippie
          Lady

Well I had to break my arm to get me started. Don’t break your arm just to do it. BECAUSE IT HURTS A LOT

Hippie

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip Hippie

Anonymous

All rightie for me.

My grandfather was an excellent scratch golfer who golfed left-handed. It was the ONLY thing he did left-handed. I learned that the first clubs he ever picked up were left handed clubs and he didn’t know any better, so that’s how he learned to play.

I was also reminded of the time that Larry Bird said he was bored from a long road trip and announced he was going to play the next game left handed. He scored 27 pts through 3 quarters wile playing exclusively left handed (and switched back in the 4th qtr because the game was close).

Katey Doe
      Lady

Hi Amanda,

I wish I was ambidextrous but I’m a true right hander. I have tried many times to write with my left hand but I would always stop. Hugs – Katey

Anonymous

It’s a very” handy” thing to be able to do Katey. 😂

I write right handed but can do many things with both… I try to keep myself as ambidextrous as I possibly can some things take a bit of training/ forcing myself to do it but in the end I find there are times when being able to use either hand benefits me, so it’s with the effort.

❤️
      Tonya

Anonymous

Hi Tonya sweetie, oh I absolutely agree with you, its such an amazing ability to be able to use both hands. 

It is… I do absolutely find some things like eating for instance way more challenging than it should be… lol but especially things like working on anything, when I played baseball, the ability to bat left or right handed… even bowling with either hand. Painting, even though I haven’t don’t it in forever… there are just so many things that in some cases you absolutely just have to use your opposite hand which is why I try to keep it balanced where I can

Anonymous

Oh absolutely Tonya, I like to swap hands when doing things just to keep both hands flexible with practice. And rightly so as you say it’s extremely easy when you are doing something awkward. Do make me chuckle some time watching  people getting in a pickle because they can’t  use their other  hand. 

Absolutely, I even chuckle at myself quite often when I realize there’s something I should be doing with the opposite hand…

Hi Amanda, i answered right handed but i am probably 90% ambidextrous .The things i can’t do left handed are golf ,darts, tennis ,ping pong, writing and eyeliner. Pyxx.

Anonymous

Amanda…how did i miss this??

Anyway, definitely right handed, always have been….but i bought a left handed tool kit from B&Q….disaster!!

Have you ever tried to bang in nails with a left handed hammer…and the screwdriver was worse!!!

The pliers weren’t so bad in the end…i just faced backwards but it took some getting used to……

Grace xx

Molly
        Duchess

Made me laugh, but oh Grace, you are a very bad girl sometimes 🙂

– Molly

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?