- November 22, 2021 at 9:13 am #578899Ballymacreely Elizabeth(Liz)ParticipantRegistered On: October 7, 2021Topics: 34Replies: 393Has thanked: 2719 timesBeen thanked: 1775 times
I personally never went to a dance hall when I was a teenager in the 1960’s but my sister and her chums where never out of them.
- This topic was modified 10 months ago by BillieJay.
- December 31, 2021 at 8:19 pm #602447Alison AndersonDuchessRegistered On: October 15, 2018Topics: 13Replies: 844Has thanked: 685 timesBeen thanked: 3555 times
I was too young in the 60’s to go dancing (I was 12 at the end of 1969). Perhaps the only exception to that was the “Alley Cat” which is more of a line dance. When people tried to teach me to dance in the 70’s, they would tell me “Just do whatever you want.” That was never a help, because all I really wanted to do was get off the dance floor.
I was also never a big fan of discos or disco music. And I hated the loud music. I would have to stuff tissues or cotton in my ear just to survive a little while. And I hated listening to music with super loud base that felt more like “Sensurround.”
(Sensurround was the technology first used in the 1974 movies “Earthquake” and “The Towering Inferno” to generate high volume very low frequency sound which at best sounds like a rumbling noise. It’s high volume meant that you could feel the rumble even if it was below your hearing range.)
I could do a little of ballroom type dancing, but dance isn’t really a creative thing for me. I’m not very coordinated, but could learn more by repetition rather than improvisation.
The funny thing is I do enjoy dancing more in a skirt or dress, particularly with a flowy skirt. Whether it’s just swaying, twisting, or spinning, it’s a lot more fun.
- December 30, 2021 at 1:36 am #601597AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
- December 29, 2021 at 11:40 pm #601584Paula FDuchessRegistered On: August 7, 2019Topics: 17Replies: 1556Has thanked: 30616 timesBeen thanked: 6403 times
I danced through most of the late 70’s & the 80’s. Disco, country, slow and easy, some ballroom. Slowed way down in the 90’s when the music was not so good. I love going out a couple of times a month now and having a nice twirl.
- December 29, 2021 at 8:17 am #601292Deborah SullivanLadyRegistered On: February 27, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 973Has thanked: 4655 timesBeen thanked: 4137 times
- December 29, 2021 at 8:06 am #601290Nancy GammsDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: March 1, 2017Topics: 14Replies: 279Has thanked: 127 timesBeen thanked: 834 times
- December 29, 2021 at 11:48 am #601370
- December 28, 2021 at 2:50 pm #594911AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
I used to dance Argentine, I danced jive at competition level up until covid and my favourite was my contemporary dance. The month everything shut down I was due to perform publicly in a huge event as both a core and solo dancer…yup loved my dancing just need to see if I can get it back as my mojo has disappeared with new priorities.
- November 23, 2021 at 1:16 am #579238Bianca EverdeneLadyRegistered On: April 11, 2017Topics: 30Replies: 968Has thanked: 4140 timesBeen thanked: 4168 times
- November 22, 2021 at 10:24 pm #579212Stephanie AstonLadyRegistered On: May 31, 2018Topics: 2Replies: 98Has thanked: 631 timesBeen thanked: 490 times
Back in the late 70’s I loved disco music and going to various nightclubs etc. But now I’m confined to a bit of Dad dancing every now and again 😂
I would love to hit the clubs again as Stephanie, wearing a gorgeous sparkly mini dress and heels, though I probably wouldn’t/couldn’t dance in the heels but it would be such a lot of fun.💃🏻
love Stephanie ❤️
- November 22, 2021 at 5:09 pm #579119AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
Love dancing all types slow to fast and even ball room dancing. Learned ballroom while was on cruise several years ago. One day wanting to learn the salasa once get all healed up from bottom surgery.
- November 22, 2021 at 5:03 pm #579118Debbie LynnLadyRegistered On: July 26, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 148Has thanked: 938 timesBeen thanked: 842 times
- November 22, 2021 at 4:47 pm #579112Marlene RobertsLadyRegistered On: December 9, 2019Topics: 0Replies: 212Has thanked: 3059 timesBeen thanked: 527 times
In Birmingham, England, in the 60s the main meeting place was the dance floor, especially The Locarno. None stop dance music by two alternating live bands. Met my wife there. Locarno not there anymore and live big bands a rarity. Now live in the US. Best, Marlene.
- November 22, 2021 at 4:10 pm #579103Bobbi WattLadyRegistered On: February 17, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 27Has thanked: 234 timesBeen thanked: 162 times
When I would go to weddings and things like that my wife would want to dance and I couldn’t dance I felt very uncomfortable for some reason. Now a day’s when I go out dancing I wear what I want and I can dance all night .Thanks Bobbi
- November 22, 2021 at 3:05 pm #579085AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
Hi Elizabeth i used to go out to the night clubs in the late 60’s and early 70’s before i got married, i used to go down to Manchester city centre to all the club’s down there,
All the girls used to dance around their handbags, I used to sometimes join them , they looked so glamorous in their sparkley 👗 dresses,
Hugs Roz X
- November 22, 2021 at 12:09 pm #578982Angela BoothLadyRegistered On: August 1, 2020Topics: 9Replies: 1147Has thanked: 4345 timesBeen thanked: 5129 times
- November 22, 2021 at 11:50 am #578971Liara WolfeLadyRegistered On: August 14, 2021Topics: 3Replies: 1607Has thanked: 3155 timesBeen thanked: 5423 times
- November 22, 2021 at 4:57 pm #579115Ballymacreely Elizabeth(Liz)LadyRegistered On: October 7, 2021Topics: 34Replies: 393Has thanked: 2719 timesBeen thanked: 1775 times
Liara, I’d love to dance with you, but you couldn’t dance with me as I’ve got “2left feet”. If you saw me trying to dance you wouldn’t stop laughing at my antics. Why I posted this article. Yesterday a family friend called in. We all born in 1950. She recalled going to the dance halls here in Belfast. Boys would be in one corner, girls in the other. Boys would come over and ask one of the girls”are you dancing “? She would say “are you asking “? He would say “I’m asking “. She would say “I’m dancing “. Our friend confirmed this. I myself was never in a dance hall. I was more into singing. If you watch the old episodes of the Liverbirds , that was often mentioned.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.