Viewing 39 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Here is a simple poll.  How many of you girls can zip up a back zip dress without help.  I recently bought a pretty black lace dress and I’m not flexible enough enough to reach around and zip it.  What a bummer for a CDer.

Thea
      Lady

Usually… Or is that sometimes? Depends on how well  fitting it is and how little stretch there is in the fabric!

Hugs, Gabby

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I can’t zip it “myself” without a little help.

I have found that a safety pin on a long piece of twine or string is the easiest tool.

I secure the string to the eye at the base of the pin. You attach the pin to the zipper pull… pull the string over your head like zipping up a wetsuit…then you open and remove the safety pin….

TA DA!!!

Have fun out there!

xoxo

Rayna

Nothing feels better then having a well fitting dress and having it zipped all the way up. I used to risk dislocating my shoulders just to get zipped up. Didn’t worry about the unzipping part. There was one time I didn’t think I was going to get out without ruining the dress but eventually got it. Now I have my wife help.

ChloeC
      Duchess

Hi, Kerry,  well, my fav dress is my lbd (which is one of my pics here) and it is a back zip, and I’ll tell you, when I slip into it and reach behind and zip it up to about my bra line, and then back over my shoulder to bring the zipper to the top, I feel….well, calmer, happier, more at peace with myself than I can describe.

Now, in the past for a dress or two I previously had, I’ve used makeshift zipper extenders, but there’s nothing like doing it by myself and getting it to the top.

Hugs, ChloëC

Definitely problematic but some good workarounds suggested. The double buttons at the back neck on some blouse or tops are very difficult too I have popped or torn or broke a few struggling.

Kelly Lee
        Duchess - Annual

especially when trying to do it with long nails 🙂

Yes  with nails of any length so many simple tasks become comically completely difficult.

No. I’ve had arthritis since I was a kid and have never been able to do a full zipper completely. For the past few years I’ve been trying to avoid dresses with full zippers and blouses with back zippers or buttons. Anyway, my wife helps me with that when needed and also with some necklaces…

I also dabble in zentai which requires a back zip which helps familirize me with back zip dresses.

Unlike zentais which are spandex and stretchy, most of my dresses are not.  I have a few that are stretchy enough that I can zip/unzip by myself, but for stiffer fabric that is where my wife comes in.

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

Since I’ve rarely appeared in public in any clothing with a back zipper. this “ole fisherperson”, (Cant be sexist in language these days), uses a piece of fishing line attached to the zip to do it up. Getting it down can involve two more pieces pinned either side of the zip to get it down…

Caty.

I can zip a back zipper without help, but it is not pretty.

With the dress in its proper position, I am only able to reach the zipper over the top six to eight inches.  However, pulling the dress up past my shoulders, I am able to reach the zipper along its full length.

MacKenzie Alexandra

Strange coincidence Kerri.  I just zipped and unzipped 8 dresses today.  No special helpers for me.  I just reach up the back and then over the shoulder.  I was packing for Diva Las Vegas and needed to do a try-on check for just such a thing as a sticky zipper (rub with wax) or too much pizza and beer (I was ok, only a half pound overweight).  I figure if I can’t zip myself in and out, then it’s time for a different dress since I can’t always count on somebody being around to help.  But here’s something that may help others who struggle.  If you need help to zip yourself up and there’s no one around try this zipper help.  Just take a skinny necklace chain and clip the lobster clasp to the hole in the zipper pull.  Then you can just pull the zipper up from over your shoulder and then drop the chain inside the dress.  Then when it’s time to take the dress off, just lean over until the chain falls out and reverse the process.  I’ve also seen this done with invisible thread or fishing line on stage for a quick change.  I hope this helps everyone with a problematic  LBD.      Marg

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

I can usually get the zipper up partway then, if the dress is loose enough, I pull it up behind my neck and zip it up the rest of the way. If the dress is very tight then I use piece of string to pull it up.

I have a zipper dress that I can  pullover my head  and wiggle into with the zipper up. Still fits snug. Guess I’m lucky with that one. All other dresses don’t have zippers.

Hi Kerri,Its Michelle.There is a product on the internet called Zip Her.Being in my 70s{while admitting to 45}hahaha,I love it.It works well for me on my back zip dresses.Its a long pull chain with a hook on the end and included with it are circular metal rings that you attach to the zipper on your dress.Step into your dress ,pull the chain up and the zipper comes with it.To remove your dress attach the zipper pull,hold the dress at the top and pull the chain down.Its simple and great.Go on you tube and watch it.Enjoy.Michelle.

I had some trouble at first, but I trained my left arm to get the zipper most of the way up, and then reached over my shoulder with my right arm.

Worked fine until I tore my left rotator cuff! But at physical therapy, they taught meet hold a short towel, like a dish towel, in my right hand and over right shoulder. Grab it with your left hand and then pull and force it to go higher with your right hand.

Amazing!! Really worked, and I can reach higher now than I could before the tear.

Leonara
        Ambassador

Bobbie, I can relate to your experience with physical therapy… I had spinal surgery and I was taught the same in my PT… eventually I incorporated more physical therapy by overhead or zipper dresses and putting on pantyhose lol.. a girl had to do what she could do express her feminine self. Regards, Leonara

I can do it…. I’m pretty flexible!

Janet Woodham
      Duchess - Annual

I have only recently bought two back zipping dresses; I am pleased to say I can manage without help.

J J
      Lady

Most dresses I can zip, but there are a few I need my wife’s help with.

Liara Wolfe
      Duchess

I usually can, but it is not always easy.

Hugs, Liara

Hi,

Most dresses I can manage fine. The odd one I’ve used string and a safety pin. I have one dress that my other half bought for me. It’s a brown polka dot dress like the one that Julia Roberts wore in the Polo scene in Pretty Woman. It’s not stretchy and a tight fit. The zipper has no eye on it. Does anyone know how i can fasten this one?

Rachel.

Roberta Broussard
        Duchess - Annual

They sell Zipper Pulls on Amazon.

Funny thing came to mind lock on a pair of vise grips I can get you a pair from the tool box.

Roberta Broussard
      Duchess - Annual

I just want to say that i love a back zip dress. While i do have some pullover ones I prefer the sexy feel of zipping myself up. The only ones that i have a little trouble with are those tight fitting ones, where you have to pull the fabric together with one hand while pulling up the zipper with the other.

At my age I don’t have many of these tight fitting ones but sometimes i jut can’t help buying one that I love. I found a couple of zipper pulls on Amazon that have different attachments for different zipper tabs. Some are hooks and others have clasps. They work very well for that never land in the center of your back.

The only thing I have trouble with is how zippers tabs can be hard on my nails.

J J
      Lady

[postquote quote=685212]

Usually there is a metal loop where the pull attaches to the actual zipper. Use a safety pin and string there as described. Also, drilling a small hole in the pull might work.

Hi JJ, thanks for your reply. Hadn’t go a safety pin but managed to get it up with a piece of string. The dress looks fantastic. Other half had to take it down for me though.

Rachel

drill a hole in the zipper

J J
      Lady

[postquote quote=685317]
      Ohh, that’s a good “problem to have”, unzipping a dress is so sexy.

Oh Kerri it is a chore to say the least I feel your pain. I have done the same almost destroying he dress getting in and out of it. I do have shoulder problems that don’t help. I have been able to zip up a few times but if you or anyone saw the process it would be a comedy hit. I have as some of the girls posted come up with a string attached to the zipper to help. In my and others defense here my wife has to have help zipping up hers and as long as I can remember has always asked for help,I have heard my daughters as well ask for help over the years.So it is not only a crossdressers problem but a problem for the real girls out there too. It is one thing we share with our sisters on the other side.

Fun topic!

I love and have 10 or 15 back zip dresses and can zip them all by myself with no aid/tool/string at 65yo. I have even done it a few times in my car but definitely way more difficult.

When I zip the dress I’m always in front of a mirror-no idea why though but at one point I considered making a video showing my front and face as I zip up because I make some rather odd faces when doing so. Pretty sure a few 4 letter words are in my mind also!

Sandy

It’s really so feminine to step into a dress and zip it up. I do sometimes have shoulder issues that prevent me from reaching that far back to grab the zipper. Most of the time I can do it though.

Kimmie
      Lady

I cannot.

Brandi
      Lady

First, love back zip dresses.

Can zip all the way to the top with no major issue. Have a harder time with the clip above the zipper to get closed and reopen.

Always something – LOL!!

Hugs,

Brandi

Most I can manage. Some I need to tie something to the zip. Others my wife has to zip me in…. It’s a very special feeling when my wife zips me in. As the zip gets to the top, it’s an incredible feeling when the zip gets to the top…. Also knowing that I’m stuck in the dress until my wife unzips me harks back to the days when it was a secret, and it was a bit of a fantasy getting caught 😉

Cerys.

I agree with you Cerys – being zipped into a dress by one’s partner is such a nice feeling, no doubt because I know that I am able to have her do it after so long in the closet. I also experience a sensation of pleasure as I feel the zip glide all the way to the top and close the dress… oo! 😀

I can usually manage all of my dresses apart from one – a prom dress that has a sort of in-built corset. All of my zip-up ones I can do myself, but I like to involve my partner in the process too 🙂

The thought of my wife zipping me up in a dress at 8am knowing I’m unable to remove it myself and telling me she will help remove it when she gets home after work is definitely a fantasy for me.

Most dresses I can zip up if they are not form fitting. I pull the zipper as high as I can reach then raise the dress up my back so I can reach the zipper and pull it all the way up. My form fitting dresses do not have zippers.

Most of the time yes either with a zipper pull (online purchase) or by zipping before the dress is on the way.

I agree that zipping up a dress to the top is especially thrilling and I’ll confess it feels a little like bondage (in all the best ways.

I usually use the same system as surf suits.
      That is, a band applied to the zip hole, and with that I close or open the back zip independently.
      Some lbd or lrd should have an open back instead of that obnoxious zip, they would be much more sensual!

XOXO from Italy
      Greta

Generally, I can but for those cases where I can’t, I devised a zipper pull using a paper clip and a piece of string.

i have a hard time zipping up the dress have to zip it up where i can reach it once the dress is on and zip it up all the way. when i have to unzip its harder to do. but i manage to unzip it. having my wife zip my dress up i would be in heaven having my wife zip my dress up or call her to unzip my dress. my wife knows that i dress up but will not help with zipping my dress up or do my make up or have me sit in same room as her and chat and talk like 2 females. she is getting better at me dressing up but will take time for her to say dress up, and she will do my make up.

I can usually manage, but one time in a dressing room I had some serious trouble. I was shopping in drab and had chosen a rather expensive dress. I managed to get it on and zipped, but I could not get it unzipped. I tried and tried but just couldn’t get it. I considered doing an incredible hulk job on it to free myself but I also didn’t want to destroy it.

I eventually had to ask a SA for help. She was very kind and performed the task. I was more than a bit embarrassed though…since then I carry a zipper pull with me for shopping trips!

When I was younger and more flexible I was able to have my hands touch behind my back, one reaching around and up and the other reaching over my shoulder. With a bit of scoliosis, I can’t quite do that any more.

I am pretty boxy in shape, and can usually slither into the dress with the zipper almost all the way up. Then I only have to pull the zipper up just a little way, which I can do. The other thing I will do is to pull the zipper partway up, put the dress on, reach over the shoulder and pull the zipper a little more, pull the dress down, and repeat until the dress is in position and the zipper is near the top.

If we’re talking an empire waist dress, I may have to squeeze the breast forms up into position going on, or out of the high tight waist coming off.

So more often than not I can handle a back zip dress without any help.

Harriette
        Lady

Before my chest surgery, I could touch the bottom of my neck with my fingertips. I could place my hands with both palms touching. It is a bit more difficult, now.

I used to drive my martial arts partners crazy because the pain locks wouldn’t work, many times. 😄

It’s not easy but I can zip all of my dresses so far, but the thought of being zipped into a dress that I can’t get off is a turn on

Erika

So far, I am able to do it. When zipping up, you may have to pull up or down on a dress, depending on how far your reach is.

Julie
      Lady

I’ve had trouble but I can do it.

After my back surgery I’m not able not reach around. But I have found a unique way doing it by myself. I take a piece of string a loop it through the eye of the zipper. Place it over my shoulder and hold the back of mt dress while I pull up on the string. Works like a charm!!:)

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?