Kim Gordon

Kim Deal

Anne Eikelberg

Deb Googe

josephine Wiggs

D’arcy Wretzky

Rachel Goswell

Paz Lenchantin

I didn’t know all these names or all their bands when I first started playing bass at 13, but i was aware there were more women playing bass than any other instrument. Like just about everything else about me, my parents didn’t get my connection to music and after false starts on guitar, viola, cello, and drums, taking my own initiative and my own money to get a bass guitar led to something finally sticking. From birth to meeting my wife, my happiest moments in life were with that instrument in hand.

Is it a feminine instrument? I guess so, but you definitely have to REALLY know to know at all. A part of me thought that was it, proof I was a girl if this is my true instrument, but that could be nonsense. Either way, I found a part of myself that day almost precisely 21 years ago, and of course, I still dream of dressing g like Kim Gordon, even if as a bassist she’s not on the level of her peers.

Anonymous

It’s an instrument. It’s only feminine if you name it with a female name. I’ve got 3 left after my last one was broken (had to be, and it was my oldest). My 4 stringer is Rebecca, my 5 stringer is Leah, and my custom 5 stringer is Cora

Hi Aoife you had me scared there girl  didnt know what i did wrong ha ha .

Stephanie Bass

My two bass guitars (Fender Precision and Epiphone El Capitan electro-acoustic) got sold a long time ago when money was tight and they were deemed a luxury. At some point in the future, I might have to consider getting one and seeing if the fingers can still remember how one works!

In terms of female bass players I would add to your list…

Suzi Quatro

Cait O’Riordan (Pogues and Elvis Costello)

Annette Zilinskas (The Bangles real bass player 😀)

-A.

Aoife
      Lady

Hard for me to like bands without bass players and it struck me that one of the exceptions is US Maple, who may be the most authentically masculine band ever – at least since Hüsker Dü.

Let’s not forget Nikki Monninger of Silversun Pickups. Personal hero of mine.

I’m gonna go out on a limb though and say I don’t think instruments themselves are particularly masculine or feminine; just because you happen to enjoy bands with female bassists doesn’t mean they’re in the majority (they’re not). And one needn’t look far to see truly talented women playing everything from guitar to drums to hurdy-gurdy. But if it helps you connect with your feminine self women in general tend to be more in touch with their creative sides, so you may be on to something.

great post. i played bass for a while about 15 years ago as well. i don’t think it’s necessarily a feminine instrument. but similarly to your connection to female bassists, i feel much the same about many female rock musicians

aa few others i’d add to your list

Kim Coletta (Jawbox)
      Gail Greenwood (Belly/L7)
      Jennifer Finch (L7)
      Elizabeth Davis (7 Year Bitch)
      Kathi Wilcox (Bikini Kill)
      Ellie Erickson (Erase Errata)

Aoife,

Add me to the list of gender curiosities, and add this name to your list of female bassists:

Mary Huff (Southern Culture On the Skids).

I began learning bass guitar under the tutelage of my ‘Bio-BFF’ a couple of years ago. I don’t know if it’s a female thing either, considering how many amazing male bassists are out there, but maybe it’s just a ‘groove’ we share.

I own a metallic light-blue Yamaha myself, and love it! The build is impressive, and the slim neck makes play easy and responsive. Love the dual humbucker pickups!

Rock ON, grrrls!!!

Valerie

Anonymous

Honey, I play the bass. And I can 100% say it’s neutral. The bass doesn’t care if you’re male or female.

Aoife
      Lady

thinking about this again and firmly believing that the bass is the ultimate goddess instrument. it’s powerful in its simplicity, physical/sensual, requires subtlety to master, and is chronically under-appreciated. i prefer to call it the “goddess harp.”

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?