Viewing 16 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Maggie
      Lady

Hi ladies, I have found that I am becoming more comfortable shopping for my women’s wardrobe as a male in public. I used to be pretty freaked out and my heart racing and in my head thinking everyone is staring at me and judging. Recently I still have the thrill because I love to shop for new clothes but have found I am more comfortable perusing the isles with the other ladies. What I now have found is that I am more picky and it takes more time.
      I spent two hours the other day shopping and when I got home didn’t like any thing and returned it all.
      Had to shop some more. I guess part of it is developing a style that you are comfortable with as before I just wanted to get something anything and get the hell out of there!
      I have gotten to the point where I will return anything vthat doesn’t fit right or I do not like. Even panties the ladies at Wal Mart couldn’t believe there eyes when I brought a pack of panties for return and told them they were the wrong size. A few year ago I would have just given to good will and bought some more.
      I guess I am beginning to look for a style that is right for me and if any of you ladies have any suggestions I would love to hear them!
      Thanks,
      Maggie

hello Maggie for shopping for dresses, nylons, bra, panties, nylons. i love the trill of shopping in a store for a dress, nylons, pads, make up. i don’t care what they think any more. so what its for me, if they think that.i would love to hear one say that it would look pretty on me and i would say back yes its for me just to see the reaction.  so what i am a cross dresser and proud of it. for buying things and taking them back  get the size you wear, there is a waist chart on line and on tag on garment, if you like it see if you can try on in store if you think you have the courage to so. i have at times and just told lady my wife is about my size just want to make sure it fits before i buy,  most of the time i buy in store i buy what i like to wear that is in style. on line i use the size chart and see what is pretty and would look pretty on me, then order it on line and when it gets here i cant wait to try it on and look pretty, then take pics and put on my computer.

Maggie
        Lady

[quote quote=80070]hello Maggie for shopping for dresses, nylons, bra, panties, nylons. i love the trill of shopping in a store for a dress, nylons, pads, make up. i don’t care what they think any more. so what its for me, if they think that.i would love to hear one say that it would look pretty on me and i would say back yes its for me just to see the reaction. so what i am a cross dresser and proud of it. for buying things and taking them back get the size you wear, there is a waist chart on line and on tag on garment, if you like it see if you can try on in store if you think you have the courage to so. i have at times and just told lady my wife is about my size just want to make sure it fits before i buy, most of the time i buy in store i buy what i like to wear that is in style. on line i use the size chart and see what is pretty and would look pretty on me, then order it on line and when it gets here i cant wait to try it on and look pretty, then take pics and put on my computer.[/quote]

Thanks Lucinda for asharing your experience! I am slowly getting braver.
        Maggie

Anonymous

I’ve found the same to be true for me too.

I have never felt uncomfortable buying panties from Target here.  When i go thru the checkout there’s no strange looks.  A sale is a sale and no one cares.  Bronwyn

I love going shopping. I’ll go to Walmart and head for the clearance rack

and have to fight for clothing. I get some great buys this way.

Roberta H
      Lady

I find my path is much like Maggie’s. This past month it has been like Christmas for me. I’m not as brave as those of you who let themselves be themselves when they go shopping but this is the first year I was able to casually and comfortably go shopping for Roberta while in boy mode. Of course it being the Christmas season helps and I really was looking for things for my wife.

At times I was like a kid in a candy store though and I think I bought as many tops for her as I did for myself. I have to confess to being a little self conscious going through the ladies wear sections. Not enough to keep me from coming home with presents for both of us though and. I am learning to understand why she has so many clothes, it really is fun.

The challenge will be now, after Christmas, here is the old fart leafing through the ladies wear section. Will I find excuses not to shop or will I have to courage and follow the example of Maggie, Lucinda and so many others to stick to my convictions and come home with something new?

Maggie
        Lady

[quote quote=80089]I find my path is much like Maggie’s. This past month it has been like Christmas for me. I’m not as brave as those of you who let themselves be themselves when they go shopping but this is the first year I was able to casually and comfortably go shopping for Roberta while in boy mode. Of course it being the Christmas season helps and I really was looking for things for my wife.

At times I was like a kid in a candy store though and I think I bought as many tops for her as I did for myself. I have to confess to being a little self conscious going through the ladies wear sections. Not enough to keep me from coming home with presents for both of us though and. I am learning to understand why she has so many clothes, it really is fun.

The challenge will be now, after Christmas, here is the old fart leafing through the ladies wear section. Will I find excuses not to shop or will I have to courage and follow the example of Maggie, Lucinda and so many others to stick to my convictions and come home with something new?[/quote]

Thanks Roberta, stick to it and have the fun!
        Maggie

[quote quote=80091]Maggie & Roberta ….I too took advantage of the holiday season to do some shopping for myself. The sale racks at Kohls were where I found the best bargains.[/quote]

Thanks Brienna I will have to try Khols I have been primarily going to walk Mart and good will.

Leonara
          Ambassador

I love this time of the year.. Gives me a good chance to buy new outfits and makeup for Leonara as well as for my wife …. I buy both online and my favorite store Macy’s … The sales are terrific…. Happy & healthy 2018 to all…Leonara

Maggie & Roberta ….I too took advantage of the holiday season to do some shopping for myself.  The sale racks at Kohls were where I found the best bargains.

Anonymous

I can totally relate to your shopping experiences. I’m still relatively new to browsing the women’s clothes department but getting more confident every time. I go alone and with my SO who offers me colouring tips. I do admit, however, that when shopping alone and challenged by a shop assistant, I reply “I’m looking for my wife”… One day I will stop living that lie but I’m not ready yet. Does explain why I have been so good at coming back from the shops with pretty things for my wife all these years…. Sigh…

Maggie
        Lady

Thanks Stephie I think we are pretty similar in our approach but evolving on the less.

I used to explain to cashiers at Goodwill and St Vincent that I was buying for my wardrobe in my studio, which was true for a time, but suddenly I veered into CDing. I now shop and have never been asked. I also doubt I’ll ever be asked either. I simply walk in with confidence and go about my business like anyone else. I do feel self conscious in the intimates section and try not to linger too long, but hopefully I can work through that. Just today, in fact, I found a couple of steals at Target: a dress and top for only $9 each. And once I tried them on, I fell in love with them. I’m finding it so hard to see my time as Stella comes to an end and i have to put away my dresses, wig, shoes, and clean up the makeup. My fledgeling wardrobe is something I enjoy so much!

Hi Maggie and Happy New Year!  I understand your issue.  May I suggest that your take a good look at yourself first. Secondly, read or look at as many fashion magazines as possible, libraries are free or you can buy them, they are cheap enough. Look at all the fashions and try to decide what you like and don’t like and try to asses why. Your wife can help here….show her your likes/dislikes and compare views. Also think about where and when you would be wearing femme clothing at look for something that helps you match the herd so to speak. Take your lingerie and lingera (mens) measure waistbands of underwear, pants and anything else and write them down. Take tape with you to store and measure what you are buying, or try it on at store, if can. This will save a lot of returns/exchanges. Take your time in stores. The clerks are not going to bother you….they have seen it all. Each shopping trip makes it much easier. Do you ever see women being intimidated buying for men???? NO, so we should be just as confident.  Let me know how it goes!  PS……. use a cloth tape not a Dewalt special or you will attract looks.  Good luck!

Lady Veronica

Lady Veronica

Maggie
        Lady

Thank you Lady Veronica for the strength! I would be the one to go in with a DeWalt tape measure:) I did all my measurements and was able to come away from a shopping trip and have an outfit that I will be wearing this coming Thursday for a ladies night out!
        Thanks,
        Maggie

I love shopping and can spend hours in any aisle.

Unfortunately it’s mainly for my wife but I still love it and always pretend everything is for me.

One day though. One day.

Sigh

Hippie
      Lady

I remember when I shopped at a Frederck’s of Hollywood back when they had a store in the mall. I would lie through my teeth. I would say it for my girlfriend/wife. I would make up all kinds of stories. I would be so nervous. That was in the 90’s.

Now its like I’m a person, a human and just a shopper. I can’t figure out why I would get so worked up in the past over shopping for female clothing. Now its no big deal.

I even coupon and look for sales.  I even use the fitting rooms dressed as man carrying women’s clothing to try on. And no one says nothing to me.

Someone once told me. The sales people don’t care who they sell to. Just as long as they make a sale. Make them sales people work for you. Don’t work for them. You are their paycheck.

So I think that when my comfort level changed for shopping.

When I was at a metaphysical expo where I had just given a presentation, there was a booth selling women’s clothing from an eastern country, maybe India. The woman staffing the booth was also eastern, and when she approached me, she said, “Are you shopping for your wife?” I paused, thought about whether I wanted to be honest or not, took a breath, and replied, “No.” I looked her in the eyes and continued, “It’s for me.” A smile spread on my face. After a moment, she looked at me with a stunned look, and walked away. I don’t know if she thought I was making fun of her sales talk, or she was shocked (cultural difference?) that I would even suggest that I would wear this stuff! lol. She eventually came back and asked what size my wife was. I told her “large.”

Maggie
      Lady

[quote quote=80079]I have never felt uncomfortable buying panties from Target here. When i go thru the checkout there’s no strange looks. A sale is a sale and no one cares. Bronwyn[/quote]

[quote quote=80084]I love going shopping. I’ll go to Walmart and head for the clearance rack

and have to fight for clothing. I get some great buys this way.[/quote]

I didn’t this yesterday thanks for the advice I came away with one nice top that fits!

Maggie
      Lady

Thanks to all you ladies, that responded with such helpful advice and sharing experiences. It helps so much to have feed back to gain the strength and courage to do what should just be natural but is slowly becoming that.
      The support is wonderful and knowing you are all out there doing similar things is so helpful in this journey that began in such an isolated lonely place!
      Maggie

Maggie
      Lady

[quote quote=80253]When I was at a metaphysical expo where I had just given a presentation, there was a booth selling women’s clothing from an eastern country, maybe India. The woman staffing the booth was also eastern, and when she approached me, she said, “Are you shopping for your wife?” I paused, thought about whether I wanted to be honest or not, took a breath, and replied, “No.” I looked her in the eyes and continued, “It’s for me.” A smile spread on my face. After a moment, she looked at me with a stunned look, and walked away. I don’t know if she thought I was making fun of her sales talk, or she was shocked (cultural difference?) that I would even suggest that I would wear this stuff! lol. She eventually came back and asked what size my wife was. I told her “large.”[/quote]

Wow what a story thanks for sharing

[quote quote=80203]I remember when I shopped at a Frederck’s of Hollywood back when they had a store in the mall. I would lie through my teeth. I would say it for my girlfriend/wife. I would make up all kinds of stories. I would be so nervous. That was in the 90’s.

Now its like I’m a person, a human and just a shopper. I can’t figure out why I would get so worked up in the past over shopping for female clothing. Now its no big deal.

I even coupon and look for sales. I even use the fitting rooms dressed as man carrying women’s clothing to try on. And no one says nothing to me.

Someone once told me. The sales people don’t care who they sell to. Just as long as they make a sale. Make them sales people work for you. Don’t work for them. You are their paycheck.

So I think that when my comfort level changed for shopping.[/quote]

Thanks Hippie for your experiences and advice.

Anonymous

Becoming a CD shopper in the beginning is somewhat to very uncomfortable. I’ve been there and know the feeling. However, if you shop enough and perhaps long enough (meaning years) it becomes somewhat second nature. Buying panties and bras as well as other lingerie has become very natural for me. I no longer leave the area if a woman comes near. I typically smile or don’t even look. Now and then I get a nice smile back. I am never sure if they know I am a crossdresser or look like a guy buying something for a female. I am sure a few sales clerks know. That just validates you.

I always suggest trying things on in the store. It took a long time before I ever had the nerve to do that. But one day I found a few bras and a few ladies clothing items in the men’s fitting room. I realized I wasn’t the only one. Most stores have unisex dressing rooms these days. The ones that don’t I just go to the nearest men’s fitting room. Yes it does feel somewhat strange going into a men’s fitting room with a skirt, top or a couple of dresses. Trust me you get past that after a few times. If I am trying on bras and I have I always leave them behind. I want other men to know we are out there. It worked for me. Getting the bras in can be tricky. Just grab any article of clothing and cover the bras.

Eventually you become one of the girls. I couldn’t tell you what size men’s undies I wear. It doesn’t mater. I don’t wear them. Trying on things saves time and money. Fewer returns. It is actually exciting. For me anyway. You avoid the problem so many items have today with sizing. Have fun. Girls meaning us gurls love to shop.

By the way. Have you ever bought bras and panties with a boyfriend or other CD? OMG that is a rush. I was petrified the first time and less so the second. He was somewhat more experienced. He seemed to enjoy holding up panties and saying, Keri, aren’t these pretty? Or holding a bra up to himself. OMG his fem side takes over when we shop. Incidentally, I always shop in male mode as going out femme hasn’t happened and likely never will. So shopping with another male is really shopping as two guys. And, you do get comfortable after a few times out.

Those are some of my observations. Hope you enjoyed them.

Maggie
        Lady

Hi Keri, thanks for the insight and advice heaven knows I need it! I believe it will take a bit more before I dare trying on in the store but I am getting there. I have not shopped for women’s clothes(for myself) with anyone else, but does sound like a good idea. Can really help one another out.
        Thanks agian!
        Maggie

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?