Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi ladies,

I have a few cheap wigs from wish.com that are supposedly not totally bottom of the barrel. They do feel pretty realistic considering, but they are synthetic.

Over time they develop wild strands and tangles. I have a comb set but no idea where to start. I’ve tried a few and they seem to pull at the wig more than help. Has anyone had success with any particular comb or other method to get the wig looking neat again? Thanks for any advice!  🙂

Anonymous

I have synthetic wigs but have gone for (what I consider) the mid-priced higher quality models (£100-£200 / $130-$260).  I find a decent hair brush works well (mine has two lengths of soft bristles set in a rubber base) but some short hairs at the top of the head start to stick out after a while.  A careful trim with scissors deals with those.  Tangles are either cut out or carefully pulled through with the brush.   My oldest wig (by Gisela Mayer) has also gone through the washing machine (in a wash bag) a few times now and once dry has always brushed back to shape.  Given when I first bought it, I wore it daily for over a year (and still do regularly) it is still in decent shape.

I do have a couple of cheap wigs (£20 / $25) and the hair on those is so light they go fuzzy and tangle very easily.  Even the hair brush can’t tame them.  This price range is great for working out what colour and hairstyle works for you (or not!) but if you can afford better than the results (and longevity) should be worthwhile.

That all makes sense Jasmine thank you for the advice.

Yea the cheap price is great for trying–I ended up liking one that I thought I wouldn’t. But you are right it is tough to tame them. Later on I might spring for a natural hair one but only occasionally dressing for now so these are doing the trick.  🙂

Thanks again!

Anonymous

I’ve owned a lot of wigs over the years, as I started to get more serious (and was more financially comfortable),  I’ve been buying more in the $200-300 range for synthetics…  the hair lines, quality, and modern styles make it worth it.

I mostly use a really large open bristle brush, occasionally a big long toothed comb/pick.  The key is to start brushing in small strokes at the tips of the hair and slowly work your way up the wig.  At that point you can run the brush all the way through without tangles.  If you start with the long strokes from the top,  you are goin to end up with wicked tangles.

Moving on to human hair wigs soon,  biggest downside of not transitioning earlier…  a very bald head.  Some is coming back now, but not enough to matter.  Wigs for life!  =)

Thanks for the tips Kate. Going to try the upward strategy tonight.

And getting a new wig is always fun.  I have a nice human-hair wig sitting in my Wish.com basket for months now–just waiting for the next 50% off coupon. They give them to new customers but not as much to existing customers. Maybe I will just make a second account hehe.

I think you get what you pay for to a degree with low cost wigs however taking care of any wig is similar.

First there is a spray to use when brushing. I always use this and have a conventional brush-the type with the round tip. You must be very gentle always or you will create the tight curled ends.

I recommend watching some videos.

Sandy

Hi April, you are right, wigs do tend to knot and tangle over time! its a right pain in the butt! i use a cheap plastic comb that has two sides, a narrow comb on one side, and a wider toothed one on the other. I always start with the wider toothed one first, taking care to hold the hair above the tangled part where the comb is, if you dont do this, you could pull the hair out of the wig. After getting the tangles out, i then use the narrow toothed comb to get the hair nice and tidy again otherwise it can look a bit frizzy 🙂 .

Fiona xxx

Thanks Fiona. I think I have a comb like that and will give it a try!

I find them easier to brush when wearing them.

That is actually a nice little tip, thanks!  🙂  I have tried fitting it tight (took me a while to even realize what those little plastic clips were for) and holding it tight with the nonbrushing hand. I can do pretty decent that way. I might try washing them but haven’t gotten around to watching videos yet. 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?