Viewing 3 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi Sisters,

HildaRuth here.

With the easing of lockdown charity shops are now open for business.. I think in the US these might be called thrift stores. People give clothes they no longer want or need to the charity shop which then sells them at bargain prices. It’s been a lovely spring day here today; bright blue sky, no clouds, only a gentle breeze so just right for a stroll around the local shops including Age UK a charity shop with lots of clothes for sale both ‘drab’ and ‘drag’. The difficulty at the moment is that customers can’t try anything on but this charity shop does a great job of displaying the clothes on ‘sized’ hangers and if when you get the items home they don’t fit you can return them and get your money back. So having chosen a white long sleeve blouse with delicate embroidery and a denim jacket which I thought were my size at the bargain price of £16.00 total I hurried home for the acid test of the ‘try on’. The blouse fitted well, just tight enough to convince on lookers of a matronly bosom beneath. The denim jack was a perfect fit. I was so pleased as HR has never had or worn a denim jacket before. So it’s three cheers for charity shops as far as I’m concerned. Do any other sisters have tales of charity shop success (or disaster)?

Love and Hugs

HildaRuth xx

Anonymous

Sorry Hilda…I would have answered sooner….but I was in a charity shop….

I have had wonderful success in charity shops…you cannot believe what people donate….my first port of call before I pay full price elsewhere…..

Grace ❤️❤️

Angela Booth
      Hostess

My early wardrobe purchases were from charity shops. As I had come out to my mother she would go with me and have a look. I would point to something and she’d make the purchase. I bought some disasters and through it I began to learn more about sizing and my style. The prices of good items in these shops started to creep up as they became businesses.

Nowadays I shop on my own and buy from mainstream and online. However I still have a rummage in charity shops and the small independent ones are my fave. I still buy and it seems to be mainly shoes I get these days. Some of the shops must get end of lines from businesses as they have a few new items.

Today I went to a small town near me to pick up a pair of boots from the menders. I had a wander around the charity shops as old habits die hard. I came home with a new leather shoulder bag and a pair of new sneakers for an absolute steal. I gave a little more than they asked as a donation because they were such a bargain.

I’ve never bought shoes from a charity shop but now you’ve convinced me that I should – so thank you M’dear

HRxxx

Misha Monroe
      Duchess

At the risk of starting a rush, I’ve made some incredible finds in both Value Village (for profit resale) and Goodwill (non profit charity).  These have included designer clothing, with tags still on them!  Years ago when just starting out, I’d size things by eye and bring them home.  Sometimes they would fit, but they really weren’t me.  So I eventually worked up the courage to start trying things on in the dressing rooms (nobody cares!)  But now, with Covid, the dressing rooms have been closed.  Value will exchange items for the same value within a couple of weeks, and Goodwill will refund.   So, Im done with VV for now.  I just love the thrill of the hunt, dont you?

It’s the uncertainty and randomness about it all that appeals – you just never know what’s turn up and I guess as I get to now the assistants in these shops and they get to know something of HR’s preferences they might make recommendations. Certainly hope so.

HR xx

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?