• Creator
    Topic
    Michelle Doherty
    Participant
    Registered On: January 1, 2022
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 229

Hi girls

Following advice from the girls here, i decided to give charity shops a go.

First off, i tried a Christian Aid shop. My first thought was, this is perfect for me, as they packed as much into the shop as they could, meaning smaller aisles so you can browse a lot more privately. I even managed to try on shoes, but nothing for my size. The downside being, that all the items are just thrown on the rails in no order whatsoever. So you have to through all the hangers in each ailse, pulling them out to see them and also to make sure you dont miss anything you like. There were 2 young girls behind the counter and as i had been warned to be wary of Christian Charity shops due to prejudice etc. I asked if a 40 yesr old woman would wear a skirt i was holding and they look mortified. Eventually one asked why didnt she get it herself and the other spluttered, it really depends on her style. Mental note, unless its accessories then avoid.

I then went to a couple of other shops and they were all the same, however the staff were very friendly
    and more than happy to answer any of my queries.

I still hadnt found a skirt i liked, not many in the main stores, maybe due to winter, so i called into a Cancer Research shop only 5 minutes from my home, with possibility of being recognised being very high. But Michelle needs a skirt, so i went in. There was an elderly man behind the counter, very fastidious and taking ages for him to do things, but very warm and friendly, you know the type girls.

Well, he had the shop laid out perfectly, with sizes in order, skirts on one rail, dresses on the other etc. With shoes and handbags mixed in every where.

I found a lovely knee high black skirt, mixed blue cloud blouse and a pair of high heel shoes. Yes i have finally found shoes, yaaaaay. There are not perfect, but as i only closet dress at the minute, they should be great for a starter pair.

I would advise any girl who has the confidence to shop at a supermarket etc, to definitely use charity shops. You could spend a day going around them and there is absolutely everything you need in them. However, i have to poiqqqqnt out, clothes wise, younger girls are not very well catered for. The young dont share their clothes it seems, but worth a look anyway and there always plenty of accessories to see.

I would not recommend them for less confident girls. Despite the more private browsing, you have to be aware that you are dealing directly with someone, when purchasing your items. You also need to remember they are probably not trained staff and there is probaly no equality traing or shop policy either, so you never know what their reaction is going to be.

I was fortnate in the last shop. QqIt took the elderly guy took a long time serving me, making sure everthing was folded etc. Then he handed the me the receipt and said keep this safe, it is very important. I thanked him, turned around and started walking out, when i heard him say, remember the receipt, in case they dont fit you and you have to return them. I nearly cried, i have never felt so accepted in my life.

Love
    Michelle

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Cassie Jayson
      Duchess
      Registered On: September 29, 2019
      Topics: 39
      Replies: 754

Thanks Michelle. the last sentance made me cry, SOOOO happy for you!!!

Cassie

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Zoe
      Lady
      Registered On: December 13, 2020
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 60

I loooove thrift stores. For several reasons. I do tend towards less religious and more generic places like Value Village and Talize. There is a funky locally owned place here in the city too.

a. I seem to be slightly less self conscious when looking through the racks in the ladies section. I just casually flipping through stuff, pull the occasional item to try on. Would never do that in a regular shop.

b. you can get really cool-funky stuff

c. for a lot less $ you can make up whole outfits

I think I just talked myself into going on a hunt this weekend!

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Zoe

Charity shops really are great, I could spend hours in just one of them

Love

Michelle

3 users thanked author for this post.
      Requal Joanne
      Lady
      Registered On: December 15, 2020
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 369

Well done Michelle.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Nicola De Auvergne
      Lady
      Registered On: November 29, 2020
      Replies: 94

Sometimes, there’s a hosiery find in a charity shop such as I’m wearing – very M&S.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      Paula F
      Duchess
      Registered On: August 7, 2019
      Topics: 17
      Replies: 1589

There are a couple of charity thrifts that I frequent on a regular basis, and then some not as regularly.  I do tend to avoid shops that support primarily regions organizations.

I love it when after my 2d or 3d visit, the staff remember me from before and call me by name.  I do shop them enfemme, as I do the bigger retails also.  Being a known repeat has its advantages and makes shopping even a bit fun and friendly.

The biggest shop I go too, there is a GG shopper that I have run into a few times now.  We have never exchanged words, but when she sees me in the dress/skirt section, she will come to the same aisle and almost feverishly go through the items like we are on some kind of shopping competition.  We do always smile and acknowledge each other, and I do enjoy the competition.  Some day I will learn her name, lol.

PaulaF

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Paula

You should comment on something she is looking at and take it from there. You never know, you could be the next Thelma and Louise.

Love
        Michelle

6 users thanked author for this post.
      Alice Underwire
      Lady
      Registered On: September 16, 2019
      Topics: 90
      Replies: 4670

Hi Michelle,

Congratulations on finding your first pair of heels.

Alice

5 users thanked author for this post.
        Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Alice

I absolutely love them. I missed out a word in the op, it should have said not a perfect fit. They are slightly too big, so a half size smaller should do it. I tried 7s already, too small. I can walk in them and need a lot of practice, but its a start.

Wearing them has brought a totally new dimension to my femininity and i cant wait to put them on again.

Love
        Michelle

Alice Underwire
          Lady
          Registered On: September 16, 2019
          Topics: 90
          Replies: 4670

Hi Michelle,

That is great news the heels fit!  You can add a little paper or a sock to fill the toe area so not to slip off.  Sounds like you are enjoying your purchase.

Alice

Lauren B
          Lady
          Registered On: January 15, 2022
          Topics: 3
          Replies: 12

Hi, which style of heels did you find?

Michelle Doherty
            Duchess

Hi Lauren

As I havent been able to buy shoes, i am not up to speed with allthe names etc.

I think thet are ankle boots with a stiletto heel. I am waiting for my housemates to leave, so my girlie weekend can continue and i hoping to post a few photos, so you will be able to tell me what they are then.

Love
            Michelle

Cerys Burton
      Lady
      Registered On: February 2, 2021
      Topics: 60
      Replies: 190

I love charity shops. My wife and I go to more upmarket areas just to brpwse them as up market areas have wealthier people….,Wealthier people have nicer clothes 🙂

We were in one just before christmas, and I asked if I could try a skirt on. The lady behind the counter showed me where the changing room was. I tried the skirt on and it was perfect. When I went to buy it, the lady said “fancy dress party?”. When I replied no, I just like dressing as a woman, she smiled such a warm smile and said “Good on ya. Whatever makes you happy, and in these times, we all need to be happy”. She went on to say that she gets a lot of ment trying on female clothing at this time of year, and they all say it’s for fancy dress…. I told her that christmas, new year and halloween are the crossdressers favourite times of year as it gives us the perfect excuse 🙂

Don’t go in with excuses or stories. Just be open and honest. Don’t even start the conversation. Trust me, in the hundreds of times I’ve tried stuff on in charity, and retail shops, I’ve never had anything but good experiences. I always shop in man mode, and have never had an issue.
      Head high and carry on.

Cerys

8 users thanked author for this post.
        Samantha Lane
        Lady
        Registered On: February 20, 2019
        Topics: 2
        Replies: 13

Cerys,

Shopped for both women’s and men’s clothes and took several pieces to changing room of both genders. While I was changing a male associate spoke in a loud voice to another associate” we got a strange one in the dressing room”. Embarrassed I left everything in the changing room and exited the store. Since that time I carry a tape measure to check a items sizing usually at a dollar store. Never a thrift store.

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Cerys

Another great story.

I did use a story in the first shop i went to, the Chrisstian Aid one, but not in the other 4.

Having a story is good to calm yourself but dont use it unless you have to and then soon you wont even remember what the story was.

Love
        Michelle

Ashleigh Wolf
      Lady
      Registered On: December 27, 2021
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 95

This is beautiful, well the last part. I love charity shops here in the UK but as you said, often the clothes are dated but sometimes its possible to strike lucky. On the whole the staff are ok, maybe the odd frown etc but I can live with that, each to their own. Loved reading this and hope you enjoy further jaunts to the charity shops.

Nicola De Auvergne
        Lady

Charity shops, love them and what Nicola finds even through the lockdowns – some sheer M&S hosiery – and before some Charnos half slips.

Michelle Doherty
          Duchess

Hi Nicola

I have started using Vinted now. Its like 100,000 chariy shops in the one place. All brands, styles etc, plus jewellery, shoes, accessories etc.

You can even get breast forms on there, but i think i will give that a pass.

Love
          Michelle

Nicola De Auvergne
        Lady

And just sometimes you find some hose…

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Ashleigh

I am 56 and try to dress like a 38 – 50 year old. Too many girls, dress way too young and unless they have the body or face, it is not a good look.

Current fashion is not yet a concern for me. I am still discovering my style and sizes. So charity shops are ideal for me. My first pair of high heels for £3, I felt like i was robbing the shop.

Love
        Michelle

7 users thanked author for this post.
      Vicci Park
      Lady
      Registered On: October 2, 2019
      Replies: 6

I do not care one way or the other as far as the staff is concerned in charity/thrift shops. I go in look around and if I find items I like and fit I buy them. Our money is as good as everyone else’s. These type of stores come and go so we can not be fearful of the people working there.

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Vicci

The Christian shops are more likely to make a scene, which is why i intend to avoid, unless i see something through the window.

Love
        Michelle

Jennifer Sullivan
      Lady
      Registered On: December 31, 2021
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 76

Hi I went to asecond hand store lots of clothes I saw 2 young girls about twenty years old so I walked over and said I am a cross dresser and my name is Jenny they did not faint . They said I am Jill and Susan nice to meet you I looked around but did not have a lot of time so you know I will be back

Love.
      Jenny

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Jennifer

It is a huge relief, when you find somewhere you can shop.

Love
        Michelle

Jennifer Sullivan
          Lady
          Registered On: December 31, 2021
          Topics: 0
          Replies: 76

Yes I love it not in the same town whee I live I love to wear stockings I do most days with panties.when I go to the bar I wear thigh high white stockings with rad fishnets over them . I know you are not free to dress 24 / 7 I am had a girlfriend but she accidentally ran into Jenny and is now gone . I now have a cd girlfriend joannie we have slep overs but as you guess not much sleeping chat latter

Michelle Doherty
            Duchess

Hi Jennifer

I don’t how to reply to that, apart from “Go Girl” lol

Love
            Michelle

Olivia Livin
      Duchess - Annual
      Registered On: October 22, 2018
      Topics: 56
      Replies: 1704

Hi Michelle,

I myself have quite a bit of luck with getting clothing (apart from shoes) at secondhand stores. The staff on the otherhand is hit and miss, the mission shops staff seem to have their beliefs and prejudices whereas the profit shops are quite accepting.

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Olivia

You are so right. That is why i said to avoid them. Most are sullen faced volunteers, who dont really even want to there on a Saturday morning.

Love Michelle

6 users thanked author for this post.
      Connie Twirl
      Lady
      Registered On: August 18, 2021
      Topics: 16
      Replies: 613

I suspect they get plenty of practise! Charity shops are a mecca for the less wealthy CD, especially for accessories. I have a load of belts I’ve bought over the years, and nothing cost more than £2. I’ve never had the nerve to buy clothes, not because of the staff, who probably get that all the time, but because the other customers.

Connie
      xxx

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Connie

Grab s few things and have a jokey story ready, like the wife told me to get her an outfit, but what am i suppose to know about clothes.

Or say nothing like i did and if you pop in every now and then i just get a few things,the staff and other customers will soon get used to your face, allowing you to shop at will.

Love
        Michelle

Angela Booth
      Lady
      Registered On: August 1, 2020
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 781

The old chap was a wise man and proves they do have diversity training. It also proves you aren’t the only girl in the village!

You have now crossed the threshold and have a safe shop to go to. As your confidence grows you will find yourself in the mainstream shops.

Nice to read of your progress.

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Angela

I do go to the big names today, m&s, dunnes and primark. They have huge fem sections and being a non fem on your own makes you stick out like a sore thumb. But if i want to achieve my dream, i have to push myself.

The difference between in person and online shopping is huge.

Buying clothes online, can be hit and miss.

You cant feel the material, colours dont always match with online, you cant match with other garments, returns etc and worst of all, once you have picked that slinky number you have spent months looking for, you have to wait to get it.

Love
        Michelle

Angela Booth
          Lady
          Registered On: August 1, 2020
          Topics: 9
          Replies: 781

Dunnes !! Now there’s a memory of Ireland I have. Many moons ago I visited and shopped in the store. It reminded me of an Irish Marks and Spencer as its brand name was St Bernard I think?

Good old fashioned style – get in there Michelle!

Michelle Doherty
            Duchess

Hi Angela

Yes, St Bernards lol

Love
            Michelle

Michelle McQueen
      Lady
      Registered On: June 14, 2021
      Topics: 19
      Replies: 873

Hi Michelle.

Yep its hit and miss with thrift stores and I’m glad to hear you had a good experience at the last one. I think by now the personnel all know CD’s shop in thrift stores and depending on the cashier it can go smooth or be embarrassing. It pays to have some quick ready answer in mind if needed and a bit of a thick skin too. I’ve had some disasters dealing with the religious run shops around here so be careful and stand you ground because we are doing nothing illegal.

Katie Plowright
      Lady
      Registered On: October 15, 2021
      Replies: 148

I unfortunately I know this well, living in a rural environment I have to go to local towns to shop. Every charity I walk into ( in drab) and start browsing the “ladies” sections, I am instantly asked …..can I help you……At that point I walk out, it’s almost as if you are breaking cardinal sins in even looking at “ladies” item. Their loss. Sorry rant over.

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Katie

The assistant is probably being honest and asking if you need help.

Either say not yet thanks or have a story ready.

I am looking for something for the wife. I havent bought for her before and if she doesnt like what i get here, then it wont have cost me too much and the charity wins too.Give your sizes and see what she comes up with. Keep an eye out for what you want and add them in. You can then reject their choices at the till.

Actually feelikg the material and seeing the garment, makes a massive difference.

Love
        Michelle

Love
        Michelle

Fredrika Jones
      Lady
      Registered On: February 24, 2021
      Replies: 275

I don’t know if thrift stores are different, but I would include them too. Older ladies are more secure. I don’t worry about privacy when browsing, but realize it is important to some.

Fredrika XXX

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Fredrika

I am not so bad clothes shopping. But trying on jeans and shoes is a different matter. Men buy shoes for SO, all the time, but they never try the shoe on themselves first.

Love
        Michelle

Tara Ryan
      Lady
      Registered On: April 20, 2021
      Replies: 298

Hi Michelle,

How wonderful, I am so pleased for you.

Love,

Tara x

Michelle Doherty
        Duchess

Hi Tara

I would never done any of this without you.

Love you babes.

Michelle

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account