- October 22, 2020 at 5:10 am #397416Sa•man•thaFounderRegistered On: January 21, 2018Topics: 533Replies: 1837Has thanked: 8431 timesBeen thanked: 7525 times
For your consideration, let me offer you this.
Karen Carpenter said, “I’m a California label from the top of my head.” Labels, hey ya like em, ya don’t. But what about an identity? Everyone has one of those I reckon.
Labels are what you slap on a package but an identity is personal, and behind each of these is a person for whom that identity may be holy. Anyone can give you a label I suppose, but you chose your own identity, or were born with it, and lived it by experience. No one defined that for you.
Maybe the issue isn’t the label or the identity, but prejudice… “an inability to understand or relate to another’s lived life experience.” Merriam Webster’s didn’t define it like that but I just did. /
And now, let me leave you with this thought:
Myra was hot. The Texas sun was always hot this time of year, but the real problem was the venom coursing through her veins from that cottonmouth she’d just encountered. She knew that without getting some help, she would soon pass out and leave this crapsaccharine world behind.
Bob Dylan said, “She who ain’t busy dying is busy being born.” That’s a direct quote.
That is all my dears. Have a wonderful rest of your week. ❤
- October 29, 2020 at 2:15 pm #400298Candy CanLadyRegistered On: October 19, 2018Topics: 36Replies: 132Has thanked: 280 timesBeen thanked: 726 times
Society is quite accepting of a female expressing her masculine side.
Less so about a male expressing his feminine side.
Hence ‘tomboys’ always been allowed. Marlene Dietrich could wear a suit and top hat back in the ’20s. Women wear jeans etc no issues.
However, when a man wants to go the complimentary route, society objects.
Much of what men are expected to wear isn’t even all that suitable for the climates many of us live in!
I tend towards Jung’s view;
“The anima and animus are described in Carl Jung’s school of analytical psychology as part of his theory of the collective unconscious. Jung described the animus as the unconscious masculine side of a woman, and the anima as the unconscious feminine side of a man, each transcending the personal psyche”.
- October 29, 2020 at 9:03 am #400217Kelly TerryDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 27Replies: 317Has thanked: 358 timesBeen thanked: 1302 times
A quote I read somewhere: “I am not trapped in my body – I am trapped in other peoples perception of my body”
So labels or identity, I guess one issue is what you think about yourself vs what other think about you.
- October 22, 2020 at 11:10 am #397521Heather JamesonDuchessRegistered On: April 1, 2019Topics: 10Replies: 704Has thanked: 1445 timesBeen thanked: 2668 times
As usual a good point to ponder Sam. Prejudism is everywhere, I too am prejudice on some points, not against race or religion just certain aspects or traits in the human personality. When I see these traits it really turns me off and I choose not to associate with these people.
I like the Bob Dylan quote, very thought provoking.
We’ve all had moments like Myra but you can’t let these people get to you. I don’t know maybe because I’ve been called so many names and treated like crap so many times in my life I have become immune to it. I usually reverse it and exploit their weakness which is usually a lack of intelligence and make them look foolish. As I’ve said before I have a razor sharp sarcastic side.
The world is becoming a better place on some aspects but then you turn on the news and think will we ever learn, maybe one day but it won’t be in my life time. All we can do is use ourselves and our difference to the societal ” norm” to set an example to the younger generations to be more understanding to our differences.
Take care, Heather
- October 27, 2020 at 3:45 am #399259
- October 22, 2020 at 10:00 am #397508AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
Any chance Myra ran off with Chico?
- October 22, 2020 at 1:39 pm #397556AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
I don’t think Myra ran off with Chico, (Whisper – apparently he had a gambling problem!!)
- October 27, 2020 at 3:39 am #399256Sa•man•thaManaging AmbassadorRegistered On: January 21, 2018Topics: 533Replies: 1837Has thanked: 8431 timesBeen thanked: 7525 times
Chico may have had a gambling problem, but he was also quite the ladies man and played a mean piano to boot 😅
1 user thanked author for this post.
- October 22, 2020 at 9:51 am #397501AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
- October 27, 2020 at 3:37 am #399254
- October 22, 2020 at 8:42 am #397483AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
- October 27, 2020 at 3:38 am #399255stephanie plumbBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 17, 2018Topics: 176Replies: 2414Has thanked: 3829 timesBeen thanked: 11542 times
Hi Grace, you need not be worried any more.
I’ve spoken to Myra and she is fully recovered. The poison only had a temporary effect and now she is feeling quite cool. But she is keeping her eyes open for 🐍’s.
Stephanie P ❤
- October 27, 2020 at 3:33 am #399250Managing AmbassadorRegistered On: January 21, 2018Topics: 533Replies: 1837Has thanked: 8431 timesBeen thanked: 7525 times
Hi Grace, after a few hours of bright colors, intricate patterns and a vision of the eye of God, Myra made a full recovery. 😁 We may even nickname her, “Honey Badger” 😅
1 user thanked author for this post.
- October 22, 2020 at 7:40 am #397464
- October 22, 2020 at 6:22 am #397438AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
Has anyone done any ‘shadow’ work? The theory is that you have these broken off parts of self. They get broken off for many reasons, like trauma. These parts are then hidden in your shadow. You can’t see them or accept them. Then you project them onto other people. Most people doing this are not aware they are projecting.
An example might be, we all have feminine and masculine traits. For some reason someone can’t accept their own femininity.
So they project their own anger or self hatred of their feminine onto others. This person sees a transgender and starts verbally abusing them or worse attacks them. Sadly the person doesn’t realize it’s all about themself, not the transgender.
I think this could be the source of derogatory labels. If a person wants to do Shadow work, it can be a great source of personal growth and self acceptance.
- October 29, 2020 at 6:37 am #400135Rei DurdenBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: October 11, 2020Topics: 28Replies: 1006Has thanked: 5710 timesBeen thanked: 4270 times
Kay, you did a fantastic job of explaining Shadow Work, probably better than I’ve heard Teal Swan explain it.
When you sum it up as you did, it explains much of my behaviour previous to Rei.
- October 27, 2020 at 3:29 am #399248Managing AmbassadorRegistered On: January 21, 2018Topics: 533Replies: 1837Has thanked: 8431 timesBeen thanked: 7525 times
What about shadow boxing Kay?😁 Ah, the projectors… these people have a way of causing you to question your own sanity! And of course they never get that its them projecting their own crapola on to you. I’ll walk away from these folks every time. A firm sense of self identity helps deflect, I think. ❤
- October 22, 2020 at 7:25 am #397460Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 17, 2018Topics: 176Replies: 2414Has thanked: 3829 timesBeen thanked: 11542 times
Very interesting, and food for thought. Sometimes they can’t accept their own masculinity.
A while ago I suggested, in fun, that the GG’s might like to take the gender role test. It got an indignant response that why would a GG want to take a gender test. I guess it was seen as an attack on their femininity. But of course we all have both masculine and feminine traits.
- October 22, 2020 at 5:33 am #397422Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 17, 2018Topics: 176Replies: 2414Has thanked: 3829 timesBeen thanked: 11542 times
- October 27, 2020 at 3:19 am #399245Managing AmbassadorRegistered On: January 21, 2018Topics: 533Replies: 1837Has thanked: 8431 timesBeen thanked: 7525 times
I’m glad you get what I’m trying to say here Stephanie, thank you ❤ And don’t fret too much over Myra, she made a full recovery!
2 users thanked author for this post.
- October 22, 2020 at 5:30 am #397420Stevie SteinerAmbassadorRegistered On: June 11, 2020Topics: 57Replies: 1582Has thanked: 6658 timesBeen thanked: 7967 times
I like that definition of prejudice Sammy. I think prejudice and ignorance are bed mates. Labels try to be specific but they are in fact rather generalized. I constantly hear how we are all different, yet we try to collect these individuals within labeled groups. A lot of the individual get lost that way.
… and I like Bob Dylan. That reminds me of the quote ” The day you stop growing is the day you start dying “. Let’s all keep growing then.
And please Sam, consider publishing your own version of a dictionary …. it would be soooo entertaining!😁
- October 27, 2020 at 3:14 am #399244Managing AmbassadorRegistered On: January 21, 2018Topics: 533Replies: 1837Has thanked: 8431 timesBeen thanked: 7525 times
A lot of conversation seems to go on around here in terms of label but I wish instead we could think in terms of identity. The individual never loses the identity but rather adds it to the collective. You are whom you are and if it weren’t for such things as prejudice and stereotypes this would all cease to be a problem. 😊
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.