Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi girls!
      A question about wigs.

If you are unable to grow out your natural hair and choose the wig route, how did you decide on what to buy?

Throw caution to the wind and buy whatever?

Expensive, cheap, or somewhere in between?

Carefully research your face shape and what haïr styles would best compliment you?

Ask everyone who knows your CD their opinions?

Love to get some advice or feedback, maybe this would have worked better as a poll?

Anonymous

I HAVE let my natural hair grow, for nearly a year; but before that:  First was seeing a style I personally liked, and thought would look decent on me.  Then I went though the following “filters” in order: Color availability. Age-appropriate required some shade of gray.  Next came cost; I set $100 as the limit, at least until I found the style which looks really good on me.  And finally, size.  I learned from my first wig that a “Regular” is too tight for comfort, and never seems to look quite right on my head.  I’ve found many wigs which I think I could love…but they weren’t sold in Large size, and my guy hat size is 7 5/8.

I expect that someday, I will have to pull my wigs out of retirement; but for now, there is nothing so thrilling for me as the real thing after a trip to my stylist at Ulta.

Hugs,

Bettylou

So I should definitely expect some trial and error, thanks for the advice!

Misha Monroe
      Duchess

True, you need to have a good sense of what colours are best for you, and what length and shape is good.  But there are some basics to keep in mind.  Men have wider shoulders and broader chests than women.  So part of your agenda in transformation is to minimize that.  Don’t wear puffy sleeves, or shoulder pads for starters.  And be aware that your sillouette includes your head.  Drag queens swear by big poufy wigs not just for the drama, but because it equalizes the scale of their heads to their shoulders.  Bigger hair makes shoulders look smaller. So even though a close-cropped short bob looked good on Liza Minelli in Cabaret, on most men, even those with great figures and dazzling makeup, short hair is going to be a tell.  My first wigs were purchased at a costume shop. But they had a good selection of lacefront synthetic wigs with big layered styles.(im wearing some in my pic gallery). The staff were really helpful and let me try things on until I found what I wanted (you have to buy a wig cap to try things on btw).  Things may be different because of Covid right now, but right now is also prime time for CDs to go out and try things on!  Hey, Crossdresser Christmas is just around the corner – Halloween !  Mail order only AFTER you’ve tried things on in person, or you are destined for disappointment.   Happy hunting! x0

Anonymous

I found a small wig shop locally and made an appointment. They’ve seen everything, and they’re *super* helpful. Can’t recommend it enough.

I’ll have to give that suggestion some thought for sure, honestly, visiting a local shop never even occurred to me!

My hair is long enough for styling now and enjoy the trips to the salon. I still have several wigs including big hair wigs when seeking a drag look but love different costumes and looks depending on the mood. I too suggest going to a wig store and make an appointment if youre nervous beforehand. You need a proper fitting as well as color and shape to your face which a professional can help you with.

Another vote for actually visiting a real shop! I’ll have to look around and see what’s available around town. Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous

Dear Rei,

Even though I agree that the best approach is to go to a wig shop and try them on, I took a different approach. There were no shops open in our area when Covid hit. I decided not to wait and ordered a few wigs online. I kept the price under $50. I ordered from 2 places Amazon and BestWigOutlet. I measured and decided to order wigs with large cap size. I have been happy so far. I knew it was a gamble so I didn’t order any expensive wigs.

Kay

Thank you Kay. I should have mentioned as I posted this question that I went to PaulaYoung.com and purchased 2 wigs last week and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Glad I’m not the only one that went in blind! Did you do any research as far as what hair styles would best suit your facial structure or just pick what you like?

Anonymous

Hi Rei,

I just went with my natural color and wigs that looked nice to me. I did no research.

I fell in love with a wig online that is $200 and I may get it. I saw some beautiful wigs in the $3000 price range. Those are just a dream right now.

Kay

I near feel out of my chair when I read $3000 lol. That is a lofty but worthwhile goal!

I’ve never went to a wig shop, but I totally agree with those that say going to a wig shop will provide you with the best results.

When I bought my first wig, it was “throw caution into the wind and buy whatever”, and mostly based on price.  Well, that sort of worked out.  First wig was around $25, it was a costume wig, and from a moderate distance you could tell it was costume.

When I purged, I threw the wig out.

After I came out to my wife about my CDing, I started to look at wigs again, and I bought whatever.  Again it was a cheap costume wig.  It kinda filled the void, but not really.  At that time it was all I could afford.

Eventually, I did ponied up for wigs around $80.  I didn’t do research on colour/styles/length that fit my face or skin tone, so I wound up with a decent wig, but hair colour that totally does not match my skin tone and the style certainly doesn’t match my face.  I bought a really long haired wig that I barely wear, as I found the length of the strands tangle really easy, it doesn’t really suit my face structure, and it is a pain in the rear as the long hair droops everywhere.

Lastly, I researched and researched on line about wigs and how to choose the right colour and style for your face and skin tone.  I also ponied up for wigs costing around $200, as that was the budget I set.   I wound up buying 4 wigs that I really like, the colour matches my skin tone very well, and the style frames my face almost perfectly.  I also kept in mind that I didn’t want to exceed shoulder length, and I tried to stay away from mid part hair styles (all of mine part on the left).

Thanks for the awesome reply Wendy, $200 sounds pretty reasonable considering to job a wig has to do! It sounds like some wigs can be cut and styled again and again so hopefully the 2 I purchased online will work out one way or another.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?