Viewing 34 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi Everyone, i hope you are well and having a great Weekend. More food for thought. Are you the type of person who just buys quantities of clothes or are you more meticulous and go for Quality Brands or Designer brands but dont over buy? Maybe you are somewhere in the middle with this as i suppose i am because i do have designer brands but also the cheaper brands and over 70+ Mini Skirts!

Sooooo in a nutshell, do you have a lesser quantity of quality clothes or are you a hoarder like me and will buy anything!

Fiona xx

I have lesser quantity of cheap clothes, on a retired budget.  Fortunately my lady allows me to share some things, out of style, but at my age so am I.

Peta Mari
      Lady

I used to buy quantity of cheaper clothing. Now I buy quality but wait for sales.

I like Rivers / Millers. But I wait for end of season sales. I got a pair of double buckle high ankle boots for $20. (Down from $80) i bought a skirt and a dress for $11.95 each. Marked down from $70. Last year I got 2 skirts for $5 each. I saw the same ones in the rack a few months ago for $65.

Hi Fiona
      I always go for quality my main inspiration is I have an idea on what look I want to achieve, then basically once I get this in my head I just go for it. However I really love corselette’s if I see one I like I can’t stop myself just got to buy it.
      Sarah xx

Angela Booth
      Hostess

A bit of both really. I will buy quality but always in sales as Peta does unless it is something special and I must have it. In general I buy what I like from the regular stores as I know what suits me and the reduced rails often spring a bargain on me so I certainly have quantity, that’s for sure…..

Anonymous

I’m somewhat in the middle. While I don’t have a large wardrobe I am finding the higher quality items seem to fit better. That said, I also can’t spend a lot on them, so I mostly go for the cheaper items. It’s a win-win when I can find quality on clearance. 😊

Julie
      Lady

I buy both honey. Quality is better but quantity is good.

Hi Fiona-Ann

As I have progressed on this journey, becoming more open and often, I have also transitioned from quantity to quality. I know now I will make more use of a quality item, whether it be real gold instead of costume jewellery or real leather boots instead of cheap imitations. The real leather also came in different fits, I have slim calfs so a slim fit is snug on my  lower legs not flapping about like cheap ones I used to have. Sometimes quality is evident and seems to bring more compliments, not that I’m a diva LOL.

B x

In the beginning after I told my fiancée the pink fog hit me really hard and I went way overboard and bought way too much stuff that wasn’t right for me.  The last year it has been  only quality while looking for sales and coupon codes.  If I find something I want I will buy it but I am being selective.

I have also been donating some of the stuff I bought during the episode of Pink Fog.

Susan.

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

Fiona-Ann,

At the very beginning, I bought a lot of clothing just to build a wardrobe. But I quickly turned into more of a “quality” buyer. I usually look for decent brands but try to wait for sales. I feel that wearing nice clothing makes me feel good, which helps make me feel more confident which, in turn, makes being Fiona more natural and comfortable.

BTW – I have 7 mini-skirts. I may buy a few more but 70? Wow, I’m so jealous!!

Fiona

Hi Fiona, Mini Skirts are my all-time biggest weakness!!! I must admit though that i have gone over the top but i cant help it!!!

Fiona xx

I absolutely stay clear of the China made almost always disappointing quality clothes. I have kinda turned into a Maurices junky, quality is very good, fair prices, free delivery to stores, just walk in as boy or girl, tell then you have a package and in minutes you are heading home for a test drive.  Also a great place to buy shoes up to 12W…………HAPPY CUSTOMER, LuvNHugs, TERI

Hi girls,

I am a trans woman, I dress every day for work and on my weekends, and because I want clothes that will not wear out quickly, I look for good quality fabrics. I go for quality and have found it pays off in the end. I am careful in selecting what I buy and wear, I’m frequently told that I always look classy so, again, I believe it pays off to always go for quality.

Hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

Mostly quality, but at least for some outerwear, I wait for sales. Being a more “mature lady” here in OZ we have a brand, Fella Hamilton, which is high quality but have good sales. I have also invested in high quality formal semi formal outfits over the years. A perusal of my public photos will illustrate this

Lingerie, well that’s a different pair  of bra cups!!! Being a lingerie freak from way back, nuthin I repeat, nuthin, but the very best for this old girl. But as previously stated, my credit card freaks out whenever I get within eye distance of a Simone Perele outlet store, so I do buy some lingerie pieces  at sale outlet prices. EG $40.00 for a normally  $120.00 SP bra.

FUNNY STORY

I once gave my beloved a Fella H gift voucher. She responded thus, “Felle Hamilton is for REALLY old ladies”. Hang on…, she’s  year younger than me.

Tho she still wears the jacket she bought with the voucher

Happy dressing

Caty.

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

90% of what’s in my closet and drawers is quality stuff.  The remaining 10% is throwaway stuff or purchases that didn’t work out for some reason.

/EA

Anonymous

Hi Fiona!  Things are great here and hope are the same for you!

To answer your question, I mostly buy decent clothes, but on sale.  Confused yet?  Lol. 😂.   I am not sure of the definition of Quality.  Does that mean high end brands?  I have not ventured into high brands yet.  Well, I say that and I do have a pair of Steve Madden black pumps. 💕.

The high end brands are just too pricy for me.  If I find something on sale, I may buy it.  My goal is to “blend in” as a woman when out and about, so I mostly buy clothes and dress in a way to blend in…depending on what I am planning to do that day.  So, I have bought clothes from Venus, Kohls, Soma, Poshmark, Jessica London, Amazon, etc.  Of course buying from Amazon is typically clothes from China.  Bad news.  Sizes are are terrible and the quality is bad.

So that’s my answer.  Long and complex. Lol.😂💕😂

Hugs…. Dana

When I first bought stuff for myself, it was both quantity and quality.   Back then, I didn’t do online shopping so I had to go to brick and mortar stores.  So in a way, the stuff was more quality.

After I introduced Wendy to my wife, I started to do more online shopping.  This meant of course places like aliexpress and amazon.  I soon found out that clothing from china may look good online but not so great when they arrive.  The fabric/quality is not as expected.  Still, I was buying quality over quantity.  I bought pretty much anything under the sun.  For example, one piece swimsuits.  As long as it was racer back I would add to cart in amazon.

While it was ok, it just didn’t feel right.

So now I buy for quality.  Having alot of clothes is one thing but if they aren’t great quality or just don’t fit right, it is kind of useless.  The quality clothes I’ve bought have stood up well for the most part.  You can tell the fabric isn’t cheap, and the style is on the timeless side.

Which puts me at odds with shein.  It is very budget concious, yet the quality is kinda ok.

Mostly but quality on sale through stores like Marshalls or Ross and even Macys during their sales offers. There is little point in taking all the time to do makeup ,nails, and hair and then put on cheaply made stuff when presenting in public

ChloeC
      Duchess

Hi Fiona, well, I’m at a somewhat reasonable quality for the lesser quantity of clothes that I now have. Just not enough time to get to all I used to have, and as I get older it’s time to start reducing everything.  If my adult children and their kids were closer, I’d consider dumping much of my other ‘stuff’ on them, but they all live so far away, that it’s now time to reduce everything to a lot fewer things I really care about.

Hugs, ChloëC

rhonda
      Lady

Quess I’m just cheep girl buy cheap stuff maybe that’s why things dont fit well

Leah
      Baroness

I buy for quality. But also look for the sales and a bargain.  I find once I find something I like, I buy other colors of that top

Trish White
      Baroness

Thanks for the post Fiona,

My wardrobe is slowly increasing in size, it’s not huge but not small either. quality wise I probably have a combination of both. The clothes I order on line are typically not designer fashions but look good and cute none the less. If I was dressing 24/7 then I’d probably be looking for good quality for sure but the clothes I have now will probably out last me. So I’d rather spend the cash on nice holiday’s rather than designer clothes. I guess, basically, Trish is just your run of the mill low maintenance chic.

Have a great day girls 💖

Anonymous

Hi Fiona!! Happy to see you back with us!

Definitely better quality now. In my early years I bought anything I could get and the less expensive the better.

But since my last (and unintended purge) I had to start from scratch. I have managed to build quite a collection of lovely/pretty quality items. Much rather have what I have now that 10 times that number of old/low quality/I’ll fitting items.

I’m about to trim my inventory soon.

Keep, sell, donate, discard. It will be lots of work for sure!!

Lola Caprice
      Baroness

I would have to say I’m evolving.  I’m still learning a lot about what looks good on me, both age appropriate and for my body type.  So I’ve been buying a lot of less expensive clothes to experiment with.  But as I figure out what I want, I have started buying better made garments.  I have to admit, now that I have a couple nice well made outfits the others just don’t feel on good to wear.

💖Lola

Lola,

I think you need a nice velvet dress! 😉

Love you sister!

Jill

Hi Fiona,  I’ll buy anything if I like it enough.  Usually I’ll shop at Target or Resale shops or Posh.  If I plan to wear it daily or professionally then I will definitely spend extra money and get quality items.  I usually research carefully looking for certain high end items with long lasting appeal and utilitarian construction and then pay what I need to get them (like a vintage leather coach bag that can last forever or American tweed suits).  For me it’s just like a new car, the new Coach purse can be $500 but you can also get it slightly used on Posh for $150.   Anything I get definitely gets used and doesn’t sit around.  Otherwise you will just see me in my jeans, t-shirt or a flannel shirt on most days.  Thanks for this interesting topic.   Marg

Since I’m still developing my style and need more than a couple of ensembles, I’ve been in quantity over quality mode (fast fashion (don’t judge!), consignment stores, thrifting, etc.) for now. Ultimately, I want quality garments that I don’t pay full retail for, and things that I really like and use/wear a lot, I want to last. I’m still shedding mass, too, so I’m not investing in quality until I reach my goal weight.

It started out as whatever I could buy cheaply. 15 years later, I pretty much only buy nice brands and styles of  clothes at inexpensive prices. Granted I but most on eBay and have set up many searches set for specific clothes at price ranges. I don’t buy on a whim anymore. I am so much happier.

I don’t have the money or closet space to buy in bulk, and I’m not interested in brand names, at least , not yet. What I am interested in is will I like it now, and well into the future? That’s my version of quality, something that makes me happy now, tomorrow and on down the road.

Great question though, Fiona.

Hugs, Jill

Anonymous

Hi Fiona-Ann!

Definitely quality. Not only do they last longer and look nicer, but IMHO they also help us pass easier. Why? Because you can tell poor quality just by looking at it, and that has the potential to draw additional attention to us when we’re out and about. So why add any more things that could potentially cause problems? Besides, there are so many upscale thrift and resale shops these days that you can buy high end, name brand clothing for a fraction of the original price! And it’s fun to go shopping too!

Hugs.

Holly

Hi Fiona-Ann

I would say that I am in the middle.

Whilst I do like to go crazy sometimes increasing my wardrobe, I do like only getting one or two items at a time as well.

Also this doesn’t have to even be big name brands. While I do at times have an expensive taste, I also enjoy cheaper more casual clothing/brands too.

In all, I love the variety of clothes I have (although I may inspire myself to have as many items of clothing that you have!).

Lots of Love,
      Jacinta xoxo

Lynda Jones
      Baroness - Annual

I buy most of my clothes from Macy’s. I’ll place several items in my cart and wait, several times I will get an emaol with mark down, and Macy’s is free returns. Ordered five tops and keep one, great fun trying everything on.
      Lynda

I don’t really like referring to them as cheap, but more frugal. I like thrifting and have found numerous good dresses for an even better price. Sales and the like are always something I keep an eye out for and more of the more luxurious dresses are ones I will never wear out anyways.

I have occasionally splurged on dresses or shoes to get something high quality, but only when I know the return system is good. Women’s clothing have the dreadful curse of never being the size they say they are.

I have purchased items that are low quality at low prices and found they were great for one or two washes, and then I would not wear them again because they no longer look good. So depending on the purpose of the price of clothing determines quality or price. It I only need for an event, only wearing a time or two, i will look for used, our duscout store, i am not an online shopper, as i like to try on before i buy.

if I will wear an item many times like my jeans, shoes, and my jacket, I spent good money to get something that will last.

Paula

I lean on the more quality side. If I dress I go out always and I want to look my best.

I know it was brought up in previous posts and I too feel the fit and quality is better with designer brands or clothing lines. I am also extremely picky at what I buy and would rather have fewer quality clothing and designs the will withstand short lived fashion trends.

Sandy

She who dies with the most clothes/shoes wins.

I believe that you get what you pay for. I have several dresses and skirts that I enjoy but I also have jeans that are flattering and functional at the same time. I want clothing that will let me be a ladie and still function as a way to handle just about any situation

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?