- January 15, 2023 at 10:37 am #709597Fiona-Ann MossAmbassadorRegistered On: October 7, 2018Topics: 390Replies: 1259Has thanked: 3814 timesBeen thanked: 4632 times
Hi Everyone, i hope you are well and having a great Weekend. More food for thought. Are you the type of person who just buys quantities of clothes or are you more meticulous and go for Quality Brands or Designer brands but dont over buy? Maybe you are somewhere in the middle with this as i suppose i am because i do have designer brands but also the cheaper brands and over 70+ Mini Skirts!
Sooooo in a nutshell, do you have a lesser quantity of quality clothes or are you a hoarder like me and will buy anything!
Total of 30 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
- January 29, 2023 at 6:55 am #713347Allysa GrantLadyRegistered On: November 1, 2022Topics: 0Replies: 252Has thanked: 1857 timesBeen thanked: 999 times
I believe that you get what you pay for. I have several dresses and skirts that I enjoy but I also have jeans that are flattering and functional at the same time. I want clothing that will let me be a ladie and still function as a way to handle just about any situation
- January 29, 2023 at 6:42 am #713339Jill LaceyLadyRegistered On: December 25, 2022Topics: 3Replies: 119Has thanked: 50 timesBeen thanked: 360 times
She who dies with the most clothes/shoes wins.
- January 29, 2023 at 6:03 am #713324Sandy CraigLadyRegistered On: March 18, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 357Has thanked: 453 timesBeen thanked: 964 times
I lean on the more quality side. If I dress I go out always and I want to look my best.
I know it was brought up in previous posts and I too feel the fit and quality is better with designer brands or clothing lines. I am also extremely picky at what I buy and would rather have fewer quality clothing and designs the will withstand short lived fashion trends.
- January 27, 2023 at 8:31 am #712717Paula HereLadyRegistered On: April 13, 2020Topics: 28Replies: 220Has thanked: 967 timesBeen thanked: 1426 times
I have purchased items that are low quality at low prices and found they were great for one or two washes, and then I would not wear them again because they no longer look good. So depending on the purpose of the price of clothing determines quality or price. It I only need for an event, only wearing a time or two, i will look for used, our duscout store, i am not an online shopper, as i like to try on before i buy.
if I will wear an item many times like my jeans, shoes, and my jacket, I spent good money to get something that will last.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- January 25, 2023 at 6:24 am #712112Jenny JonesLadyRegistered On: November 5, 2019Topics: 2Replies: 208Has thanked: 152 timesBeen thanked: 863 times
I don’t really like referring to them as cheap, but more frugal. I like thrifting and have found numerous good dresses for an even better price. Sales and the like are always something I keep an eye out for and more of the more luxurious dresses are ones I will never wear out anyways.
I have occasionally splurged on dresses or shoes to get something high quality, but only when I know the return system is good. Women’s clothing have the dreadful curse of never being the size they say they are.
- January 23, 2023 at 12:18 pm #711688Lynda JonesBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: September 1, 2021Topics: 0Replies: 175Has thanked: 2410 timesBeen thanked: 637 times
I buy most of my clothes from Macy’s. I’ll place several items in my cart and wait, several times I will get an emaol with mark down, and Macy’s is free returns. Ordered five tops and keep one, great fun trying everything on.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- January 21, 2023 at 6:49 am #711075Jacinta JonesLadyRegistered On: June 6, 2022Topics: 8Replies: 88Has thanked: 126 timesBeen thanked: 451 times
I would say that I am in the middle.
Whilst I do like to go crazy sometimes increasing my wardrobe, I do like only getting one or two items at a time as well.
Also this doesn’t have to even be big name brands. While I do at times have an expensive taste, I also enjoy cheaper more casual clothing/brands too.
In all, I love the variety of clothes I have (although I may inspire myself to have as many items of clothing that you have!).
Lots of Love,
- January 20, 2023 at 6:32 am #710841Holly MorrisLadyRegistered On: April 15, 2022Topics: 107Replies: 287Has thanked: 3486 timesBeen thanked: 3382 times
Definitely quality. Not only do they last longer and look nicer, but IMHO they also help us pass easier. Why? Because you can tell poor quality just by looking at it, and that has the potential to draw additional attention to us when we’re out and about. So why add any more things that could potentially cause problems? Besides, there are so many upscale thrift and resale shops these days that you can buy high end, name brand clothing for a fraction of the original price! And it’s fun to go shopping too!
- January 20, 2023 at 5:08 am #710831Stephanie GreenLadyRegistered On: November 20, 2022Topics: 2Replies: 108Has thanked: 120 timesBeen thanked: 448 times
- January 19, 2023 at 11:44 pm #710812Jill QuinnLadyRegistered On: July 24, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 229Has thanked: 2177 timesBeen thanked: 1137 times
I don’t have the money or closet space to buy in bulk, and I’m not interested in brand names, at least , not yet. What I am interested in is will I like it now, and well into the future? That’s my version of quality, something that makes me happy now, tomorrow and on down the road.
Great question though, Fiona.
- January 19, 2023 at 7:48 pm #710787Jamie TaalLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2019Topics: 8Replies: 196Has thanked: 1177 timesBeen thanked: 1141 times
It started out as whatever I could buy cheaply. 15 years later, I pretty much only buy nice brands and styles of clothes at inexpensive prices. Granted I but most on eBay and have set up many searches set for specific clothes at price ranges. I don’t buy on a whim anymore. I am so much happier.
- January 17, 2023 at 11:26 am #710125Nikki Just NikkiLadyRegistered On: September 29, 2022Topics: 5Replies: 107Has thanked: 879 timesBeen thanked: 717 times
Since I’m still developing my style and need more than a couple of ensembles, I’ve been in quantity over quality mode (fast fashion (don’t judge!), consignment stores, thrifting, etc.) for now. Ultimately, I want quality garments that I don’t pay full retail for, and things that I really like and use/wear a lot, I want to last. I’m still shedding mass, too, so I’m not investing in quality until I reach my goal weight.
- January 17, 2023 at 8:11 am #710085Marg ProdueLadyRegistered On: March 16, 2022Topics: 1Replies: 348Has thanked: 1531 timesBeen thanked: 1346 times
Hi Fiona, I’ll buy anything if I like it enough. Usually I’ll shop at Target or Resale shops or Posh. If I plan to wear it daily or professionally then I will definitely spend extra money and get quality items. I usually research carefully looking for certain high end items with long lasting appeal and utilitarian construction and then pay what I need to get them (like a vintage leather coach bag that can last forever or American tweed suits). For me it’s just like a new car, the new Coach purse can be $500 but you can also get it slightly used on Posh for $150. Anything I get definitely gets used and doesn’t sit around. Otherwise you will just see me in my jeans, t-shirt or a flannel shirt on most days. Thanks for this interesting topic. Marg
- January 16, 2023 at 11:01 pm #710033Lola CapriceBaronessRegistered On: May 26, 2021Topics: 13Replies: 403Has thanked: 2501 timesBeen thanked: 1850 times
I would have to say I’m evolving. I’m still learning a lot about what looks good on me, both age appropriate and for my body type. So I’ve been buying a lot of less expensive clothes to experiment with. But as I figure out what I want, I have started buying better made garments. I have to admit, now that I have a couple nice well made outfits the others just don’t feel on good to wear.
- January 16, 2023 at 9:16 pm #710018GabrielaManaging AmbassadorRegistered On: January 11, 2021Topics: 1196Replies: 504Has thanked: 440 timesBeen thanked: 2771 times
Hi Fiona!! Happy to see you back with us!
Definitely better quality now. In my early years I bought anything I could get and the less expensive the better.
But since my last (and unintended purge) I had to start from scratch. I have managed to build quite a collection of lovely/pretty quality items. Much rather have what I have now that 10 times that number of old/low quality/I’ll fitting items.
I’m about to trim my inventory soon.
Keep, sell, donate, discard. It will be lots of work for sure!!
- January 16, 2023 at 10:32 am #709884Trish WhiteBaronessRegistered On: December 2, 2021Topics: 4Replies: 485Has thanked: 3129 timesBeen thanked: 2086 times
Thanks for the post Fiona,
My wardrobe is slowly increasing in size, it’s not huge but not small either. quality wise I probably have a combination of both. The clothes I order on line are typically not designer fashions but look good and cute none the less. If I was dressing 24/7 then I’d probably be looking for good quality for sure but the clothes I have now will probably out last me. So I’d rather spend the cash on nice holiday’s rather than designer clothes. I guess, basically, Trish is just your run of the mill low maintenance chic.
Have a great day girls 💖
- January 16, 2023 at 10:30 am #709882LeahBaronessRegistered On: June 13, 2018Topics: 3Replies: 412Has thanked: 8258 timesBeen thanked: 1792 times
- January 16, 2023 at 9:54 am #709875
- January 16, 2023 at 9:49 am #709874ChloeCDuchessRegistered On: November 5, 2019Topics: 14Replies: 682Has thanked: 2605 timesBeen thanked: 3321 times
Hi Fiona, well, I’m at a somewhat reasonable quality for the lesser quantity of clothes that I now have. Just not enough time to get to all I used to have, and as I get older it’s time to start reducing everything. If my adult children and their kids were closer, I’d consider dumping much of my other ‘stuff’ on them, but they all live so far away, that it’s now time to reduce everything to a lot fewer things I really care about.
- January 16, 2023 at 8:05 am #709837Deborah SullivanLadyRegistered On: February 27, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 1071Has thanked: 5412 timesBeen thanked: 4727 times
Mostly but quality on sale through stores like Marshalls or Ross and even Macys during their sales offers. There is little point in taking all the time to do makeup ,nails, and hair and then put on cheaply made stuff when presenting in public
- January 16, 2023 at 6:24 am #709814Wendy SwiftLadyRegistered On: May 11, 2020Topics: 12Replies: 925Has thanked: 1003 timesBeen thanked: 4239 times
When I first bought stuff for myself, it was both quantity and quality. Back then, I didn’t do online shopping so I had to go to brick and mortar stores. So in a way, the stuff was more quality.
After I introduced Wendy to my wife, I started to do more online shopping. This meant of course places like aliexpress and amazon. I soon found out that clothing from china may look good online but not so great when they arrive. The fabric/quality is not as expected. Still, I was buying quality over quantity. I bought pretty much anything under the sun. For example, one piece swimsuits. As long as it was racer back I would add to cart in amazon.
While it was ok, it just didn’t feel right.
So now I buy for quality. Having alot of clothes is one thing but if they aren’t great quality or just don’t fit right, it is kind of useless. The quality clothes I’ve bought have stood up well for the most part. You can tell the fabric isn’t cheap, and the style is on the timeless side.
Which puts me at odds with shein. It is very budget concious, yet the quality is kinda ok.
- January 16, 2023 at 5:04 am #709795Dana J. BantonLadyRegistered On: March 19, 2018Topics: 11Replies: 144Has thanked: 560 timesBeen thanked: 702 times
Hi Fiona! Things are great here and hope are the same for you!
To answer your question, I mostly buy decent clothes, but on sale. Confused yet? Lol. 😂. I am not sure of the definition of Quality. Does that mean high end brands? I have not ventured into high brands yet. Well, I say that and I do have a pair of Steve Madden black pumps. 💕.
The high end brands are just too pricy for me. If I find something on sale, I may buy it. My goal is to “blend in” as a woman when out and about, so I mostly buy clothes and dress in a way to blend in…depending on what I am planning to do that day. So, I have bought clothes from Venus, Kohls, Soma, Poshmark, Jessica London, Amazon, etc. Of course buying from Amazon is typically clothes from China. Bad news. Sizes are are terrible and the quality is bad.
So that’s my answer. Long and complex. Lol.😂💕😂
- January 16, 2023 at 12:17 am #709761Emily AltHostessRegistered On: August 24, 2019Topics: 24Replies: 1285Has thanked: 1443 timesBeen thanked: 6648 times
- January 15, 2023 at 10:31 pm #709759Caty RyanBaronessRegistered On: August 27, 2017Topics: 131Replies: 1207Has thanked: 8 timesBeen thanked: 5119 times
Mostly quality, but at least for some outerwear, I wait for sales. Being a more “mature lady” here in OZ we have a brand, Fella Hamilton, which is high quality but have good sales. I have also invested in high quality formal semi formal outfits over the years. A perusal of my public photos will illustrate this
Lingerie, well that’s a different pair of bra cups!!! Being a lingerie freak from way back, nuthin I repeat, nuthin, but the very best for this old girl. But as previously stated, my credit card freaks out whenever I get within eye distance of a Simone Perele outlet store, so I do buy some lingerie pieces at sale outlet prices. EG $40.00 for a normally $120.00 SP bra.
I once gave my beloved a Fella H gift voucher. She responded thus, “Felle Hamilton is for REALLY old ladies”. Hang on…, she’s year younger than me.
Tho she still wears the jacket she bought with the voucher
- January 15, 2023 at 7:19 pm #709724Lauren MugnaiaDuchessRegistered On: November 1, 2021Topics: 24Replies: 644Has thanked: 10723 timesBeen thanked: 3650 times
I am a trans woman, I dress every day for work and on my weekends, and because I want clothes that will not wear out quickly, I look for good quality fabrics. I go for quality and have found it pays off in the end. I am careful in selecting what I buy and wear, I’m frequently told that I always look classy so, again, I believe it pays off to always go for quality.
Ms. Lauren M
- January 15, 2023 at 3:31 pm #709691Teri LinnealisLadyRegistered On: January 28, 2022Topics: 10Replies: 101Has thanked: 226 timesBeen thanked: 489 times
I absolutely stay clear of the China made almost always disappointing quality clothes. I have kinda turned into a Maurices junky, quality is very good, fair prices, free delivery to stores, just walk in as boy or girl, tell then you have a package and in minutes you are heading home for a test drive. Also a great place to buy shoes up to 12W…………HAPPY CUSTOMER, LuvNHugs, TERI
- January 15, 2023 at 2:27 pm #709670Fiona BlackBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 23, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 446Has thanked: 281 timesBeen thanked: 1878 times
At the very beginning, I bought a lot of clothing just to build a wardrobe. But I quickly turned into more of a “quality” buyer. I usually look for decent brands but try to wait for sales. I feel that wearing nice clothing makes me feel good, which helps make me feel more confident which, in turn, makes being Fiona more natural and comfortable.
BTW – I have 7 mini-skirts. I may buy a few more but 70? Wow, I’m so jealous!!
- This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Fiona Black.
- January 16, 2023 at 11:19 am #709896Fiona-Ann MossAmbassadorRegistered On: October 7, 2018Topics: 390Replies: 1259Has thanked: 3814 timesBeen thanked: 4632 times
Hi Fiona, Mini Skirts are my all-time biggest weakness!!! I must admit though that i have gone over the top but i cant help it!!!
1 user thanked author for this post.
- January 15, 2023 at 2:05 pm #709661Susan TalbotDuchessRegistered On: June 28, 2022Topics: 1Replies: 319Has thanked: 4586 timesBeen thanked: 1320 times
In the beginning after I told my fiancée the pink fog hit me really hard and I went way overboard and bought way too much stuff that wasn’t right for me. The last year it has been only quality while looking for sales and coupon codes. If I find something I want I will buy it but I am being selective.
I have also been donating some of the stuff I bought during the episode of Pink Fog.
- January 15, 2023 at 1:44 pm #709653Bianca EverdeneLadyRegistered On: April 11, 2017Topics: 34Replies: 1050Has thanked: 4393 timesBeen thanked: 4688 times
As I have progressed on this journey, becoming more open and often, I have also transitioned from quantity to quality. I know now I will make more use of a quality item, whether it be real gold instead of costume jewellery or real leather boots instead of cheap imitations. The real leather also came in different fits, I have slim calfs so a slim fit is snug on my lower legs not flapping about like cheap ones I used to have. Sometimes quality is evident and seems to bring more compliments, not that I’m a diva LOL.
- January 15, 2023 at 1:27 pm #709648
- January 15, 2023 at 12:54 pm #709639Jessica SkyeDuchessRegistered On: October 27, 2022Topics: 6Replies: 171Has thanked: 347 timesBeen thanked: 815 times
I’m somewhat in the middle. While I don’t have a large wardrobe I am finding the higher quality items seem to fit better. That said, I also can’t spend a lot on them, so I mostly go for the cheaper items. It’s a win-win when I can find quality on clearance. 😊
- January 15, 2023 at 11:34 am #709610Angela BoothLadyRegistered On: August 1, 2020Topics: 9Replies: 1412Has thanked: 5142 timesBeen thanked: 6475 times
A bit of both really. I will buy quality but always in sales as Peta does unless it is something special and I must have it. In general I buy what I like from the regular stores as I know what suits me and the reduced rails often spring a bargain on me so I certainly have quantity, that’s for sure…..
- January 15, 2023 at 11:04 am #709604Sarah CeriseLadyRegistered On: September 25, 2022Topics: 5Replies: 162Has thanked: 440 timesBeen thanked: 617 times
I always go for quality my main inspiration is I have an idea on what look I want to achieve, then basically once I get this in my head I just go for it. However I really love corselette’s if I see one I like I can’t stop myself just got to buy it.
- January 15, 2023 at 10:51 am #709599Peta MariLadyRegistered On: September 30, 2020Topics: 31Replies: 616Has thanked: 974 timesBeen thanked: 3133 times
I used to buy quantity of cheaper clothing. Now I buy quality but wait for sales.
I like Rivers / Millers. But I wait for end of season sales. I got a pair of double buckle high ankle boots for $20. (Down from $80) i bought a skirt and a dress for $11.95 each. Marked down from $70. Last year I got 2 skirts for $5 each. I saw the same ones in the rack a few months ago for $65.
- January 15, 2023 at 10:49 am #709598Lorraine LowryDuchessRegistered On: January 2, 2023Topics: 0Replies: 74Has thanked: 112 timesBeen thanked: 262 times
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.