• Creator
    Topic
    stephanie plumb
    Participant
    Registered On: November 17, 2018
    Topics: 185
    Replies: 2457

Let’s be more specific.

I am talking about those oversized female…. Whoops!  I nearly fell into the trap! …. women’s ones.  They can’t be female, can they, because they were not assigned as female at birth?   In the same way as a skirt can’t be female either.  And they have no reproductive function (though they can be worn in the bedroom.)

Women’s then.

But in these days of having to mind our P’s and Q’s about only using inclusive language, can they be called women’s and be inclusive?  Well no, because they are not exclusively worn by women. Men can wear them too, even though they are non-inclusively marketed as women’s.

They are simply oversized, non-gender-specific (to be inclusive), sunglasses.   I think.

You know the ones.  They have larger frames than “normal” glasses.  Let me give you an example.

Mine have squarish blue and clear  plastic frames, violet tinted UV protected lenses, and decorative arms.  The silver (plastic) decorations have a 3-dimensional laser-cut-diamond look that adds a certain blingy vibe. Not as ostentatious as Dame Edna’s I must add.  And only £20 quid from amazon.

This confers upon them a fashion item look.  Dare I say femme look?  Ummmm… no, because it is not inclusive.  Femme implies female    errr…. women’s. We are back to the inclusive thing.

Lets sort this out.  When I am wearing them they are a femme fashion item. Okay?   I regard them as a femme luxe item!

So what are they used for?  Apart from as sunglasses I mean.  Apparently up to 80% of harmful UV rays get through on lightly clouded days. It is reckoned that more people get sunburned when it’s cloudy than when its sunny, because they haven’t slapped on the factor 50 sunscreen.

They are not seasonal.  I bet Krista, in the far northern icy wastes, has to wear them in winter to prevent going snow blind!   And here, in blighty, the low winter sun glares at you at eye level on those few sunny days.  Straight through the car windscreen as you turn the corner.

They even need them in Scotland! I kid you not.  According to Billy Connolly there are only two seasons in Scotland –  June and winter!  Lol.

So they are a fashion item.

They can be colour-coordinated with your outfit, or your other accessories. Or worn as a statement piece, Dame Edna style.  You can also wear them on top of your head for a cool WAG-ish, or trendy mum-at-the-school-gates picking up Sebastian,  fashionable look.  Or  you can wear them just because they just look  Fab-u-lous  dahling.

But their real value is in being a MASSIVE confidence booster.  I mean it …. MASSIVE.  Something to hide behind.

They tick another “it’s a woman” box and so help with being accepted as one. Every box ticked reinforces this perception.

They cover a large area around your eyes and brows (which also hides masculine brow ridges) and save you the bother of applying eye and brow makeup (or masking it if poorly done).  The downside is that you can’t bat your ridiculously oversized false lashes at white van man.

Because you are hiding behind them they help – a lot – with eye contact. All they can see of yours are your coloured lenses.  This boosts your confidence much, much more than you would think.

They knock 20 years off your age!  Eye bags?  Can’t see them. Wrinkles? ditto.

Team them with a smile (which is an immediate facelift ) and it can be 30 years!

For me,  my blonde wig with a fringe (bangs in USA) + oversized sunglasses + a lovely smile, with lipstick  =  my face can hardly bee seen at all.  The glasses + bright red lips adorning a friendly smile distract the viewers eye away from my delicately blushed cheeks, chin and  femme (I like to think) nose.

It gives me confidence because I know that I actually  look like a female  woman.

There are downsides.  I am more likely to trip over a fallen branch or get caught in snarls of brambles, in 2poos gloomy Autumn woods, at least until all the leaves have fallen.

Stephanie P  👓

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Alison Anderson
      Duchess
      Registered On: October 15, 2018
      Topics: 11
      Replies: 671

I have been wearing MTW (Marketed To Women; that is how I will get past the gender issue of the sunglasses) oversize sunglasses year round for a couple of years.  I regularly go for a walk en femme through my neighborhood to be able to reach step count goals.  And I wear the MTW sunglasses most days, whether sunny or cloudy.  Partly because it hides the bags under my eyes (I don’t have to do makeup there!).  You talk about filtering out UV light.  I also wear them because I get polarized lenses which cuts back on the glare both on sunny and cloudy days, and in some circumstances it enhances contrast.

I recently had a pair break (purple striped) and bought another pair (dark colored but with a subtle floral pattern on the frame and arms).  I did manage to repair the old one with some superglue, but haven’t managed to try them out yet. I also have a pair of mostly black with a glitter patch on the upper outside corner.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Bobbi
      Lady
      Registered On: September 13, 2018
      Topics: 30
      Replies: 1671

I love those sunnies you speak of! They make me feel like Diana Prince!
      (Wonder Woman’s secret identity). But that’s OK, I’m not at all convinced that I’m NOT Wonder Woman! 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Marlene Roberts
      Lady
      Registered On: December 9, 2019
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 162

Dear Stephanie: I love your many contributions to CDH. You have a real flair for writing and your letters are always spot on, easy to read and funny. Best, Marlene.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Krista
      Duchess
      Registered On: January 24, 2017
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 768

Dear Stephanie,

Absolutely yes, I wear my over-sized ladies sunglasses year-round here in the icy wasteland.  You are quite correct; snow blindness is really a thing.  While we only get about seven hours of sunlight per day in December, when it is sunny (which is quite often) it can be quite blinding bouncing off of the snow (but quite beautiful too).

Autumn is a dreadful time for wearing sunglasses while walking Sandy.  The leaves have fallen and when she does her poop, it can be a frightful time trying to find it amongst the leaves so the sunglasses have to come off while searching.

My wife has commented on occasion that my sunglasses look a bit too “girly”. But she shrugs and walks away knowing I’ll wear them anyway.  No one has ever said anything about my sunglasses when Sandy and I stop to greet folks we meet along the trails.  Sunglasses are part of my en femme ensemble when heading outdoors year round.  Absolutely adore them.

Have a most lovely week, Hugs Krista.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      Elizabeth
      Lady
      Registered On: October 7, 2021
      Topics: 23
      Replies: 297

As a rule I don’t wear sunglasses as I’m rarely out. The last pair of glasses I had where tinted so if I was out on a sunny day they would automatically darken
      Liz

4 users thanked author for this post.
      Sylvia
      Lady
      Registered On: October 10, 2021
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 251

Dear Stephanie ,

I am a visually minded person , any links about the ones you are referring to ?

Love Sylvia.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      Grace Scarlett
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: February 16, 2021
      Topics: 160
      Replies: 3796

Steph…

You are preaching to the converted…..I love my diamante oversized sunglasses. I have black, pink and gold frames covered in stones….the odd one or two of you might have noticed my pics…haha…..bit of a trademark. Yes, they are a great confidence booster, but are great protection from sun, wind, rain….even low flying squirrels!!!

I don’t worry or care about who thinks what about them….they are mine, live with it!!!….

Smiles and huggs, grace xx.

P.S…..i am just getting together a Churdy package to send to poor Krista….stranded in the frozen wastelands!!!😂😂😂

Krista
        Duchess
        Registered On: January 24, 2017
        Topics: 9
        Replies: 768

My dear Grace,

Thanks for thinking of me and I’m so looking forward to receiving a Churdy package from You. For the life of me, I just can’t begin to imagine what such a package from You would contain. Because of our icy conditions, some libations that warm the soul would be lovely. We can do an offering to Boreas. Enjoy your Autumn.  And have a most lovely week.  Big Hugs, Krista.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Laura Lovett
      Lady
      Registered On: March 26, 2020
      Topics: 37
      Replies: 1513

I think it’s fine to label things masculine, feminine, neuter, etc – after all, that’s what happens in many languages, and I am under no illusion that the Germans or the French regard all dogs as male and all cats as female!

Gender in language is the same as gender in concept.

It is totally normal for a word to have more than one meaning.

Duh! State the obvious, Laura!

And yet so many don’t get it!

Take sex.

Naughty corner for the gigglers!!!

Sex. Male or Female.

Or an abbreviation for an action between two or more bodies that is very well known…

Two related, but different meanings – it’s not rocket science.

Gender. Can mean the same as the first definition of sex, but not the second.

No-one talks about having gender with someone.

Gender is also from Genus, to bring forth, and means a set of characteristics relating groups. Usually biological, but not always.

This is the older, but still relevant meaning – and it’s so common for people to mistake meaning 1 where meaning 2 is meant.

Feminine refers to attributes of a genus or gender – so it’s fine to say you have feminine sunglasses!

Male and female are used outside of biology, e.g. in electric connectors.

A male plug, a female socket – it’s all a bit graphic, but there you are.

As John Webster so eloquently said: No man says all he means, and few mean all they say, for words are slippery, and thought is viscous.

At least, I think that’s right, but am too lazy to Google it. Makes sense anyway.

/edit: I did Google it and am nearly word perfect – but it was Henry Adams, not John Webster.

Have fun with gender – it’s supposed to be flexible!

Love Laura

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Laura Lovett. Reason: Correction to attributed quote
      6 users thanked author for this post.
        Marlene Roberts
        Lady
        Registered On: December 9, 2019
        Topics: 0
        Replies: 162

So accurate, humorous and well written. Thanks, Marlene.

stephanie plumb
        Baroness - Annual
        Registered On: November 17, 2018
        Topics: 185
        Replies: 2457

Oh,  I completely agree with you Laura.

And I will continue to use male and female and feminine in the broader context of the words. But I will also try to be inclusive.

But this post was about sunglasses, not a discussion on gender inclusivity as such. Though it did digress a bit.

That being said:-

I was just having a humorous look at the  corporate inclusivity advice being given to organisations on the use of the word ‘women’ instead of ‘female.’

Very briefly it goes something like this :  Not all women were born women. Not all men were born men. So ‘female’  in this context should not be used, as it implies being born as one. Presumably ‘male’ should not be used either.

It’s a minefield.   And I am staying out of it.

Except to mention some ‘modern’ alternative words to woman that were coined to remove the “dick” from woMAN!

But are also, unfortunately, used in a transphobic sense.

WOMmyn (women born as women) and WOMByn (women born with a womb)

A more modern term is womxn which is meant to be inclusive as it has no connotation to ‘man’ or ‘men.’ Apparently to call oneself a womxn is fine, but it is not inclusive  to be called one by others.

I’ve got a headache.

If people want to stick labels on themselves, that’s up to them. Me? – I am just me.

Hugs,  label-free (ooops! rhymes with a part of the female anatomy)  Steph xx

I’ll get my coat……

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account