• This topic has 12 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Does anyone else here cosplay? It strikes me that it’s an obvious way to dress en femme in an environment where pretty much anything is acceptable.

To be fair I started cosplay after I started dressing publicly. My wife and I did it partially to annoy my late teenage daughter (who was already attending cosplay events) and partially because I’d kind of made a bet online that I’d go to an event as Daenerys Targaryen.

I won my wager. I wasn’t the best Mother of Dragons the cosplay world has ever seen, but I *did* have a dragon:

That was 2014. The next year my wife and I joined forces and went for two of the clones from the series ‘Orphan Black’ – she went as Ukrainian psychopath Helena, whilst I went as Rachel Duncan. We found more clones:

Part of the fun of cosplay is people recognising you. In 2015 we both managed costumes that no-one identified at either of the events we took them too. We enjoyed ourselves though. Mrs Rachel went as Doctor Venus from ‘Fireball XL5’, whilst I went as a very obscure 1940s comic-book crimefighter, Madame Fatal, chosen entirely because she appears to be the first genuine crossdressing character in comics:

In 2017 we joined forces again, and went as Marvel’s Jessica Jones and her nemesis Kilgrave, which essentially meant we were both crossdressing, as I went as Jessica and she portrayed Kilgrave. The Jessica costume used a surprising amount of my male wardrobe.

In 2018 we went for a steampunk Star trek look, as crew of the steamship ‘Enterprise’. My wife adopted the guise of Vulcan Sub-commander Spanik:

I went as perky redshirt Ensign Isadora Persano:

(Isadora Persano has since become my burlesque stage-name. It comes from a Sherlock Holmes story. Look it up.)

And on to this year. We went to ‘The Good Place’ and both went as the omniscient AI personal assistant Janet:

Fun Fact: My daughter made the waistcoats and skirts. The blouses are actually men’s shirts.

So that’s where we are so far. On our first outing as the Janets we actually volunteered at the event, and ended up taking registrations for the cosplay competition. We enjoyed it so much we’re already down to do it next year, so we’ll need suitable costumes. We haven’t decided what yet.

And for anyone who thinks that cosplay is for the young, we’re both well over 50. Don’t let the kids have all the fun!

So – show us your cosplay!

Michelle Liefde
      Ambassador

Hi Rachel,

Thank you, very cool to see you and your wife having fun!  I have not done cosplay either in drab or fab at a con, love that you went with characters that I would not have thought to do.  Looking forward to hearing and seeing more wonderful outfits.  Oh, though not cosplay, I did go a Dr. Girlfriend to a Halloween Party last year. Seeing your post has given me some ideas for this year’s Halloween.

Hi Rachel !

Looks like fabulous fun ! I went to your flickr site and I have to say happy and fun are the two words that best describe the photos I saw. I like your style in dresses. There’s quite a few there I would love to have in my closet some day.

I am a big fan of Orphan Black. AMC is working on a new show in the orphan black universe. I think Tatiana Maslany  is a wonderful actress but I don’t think she will be involved in the new show. A pity.

Hugs

Autumn

Anonymous

This is brilliant. Cosplay takes some serious dedication so well done, you look great. I would love to do cosplay but the places to do it are somewhat limited where I live.

Charlotte xXx

Thanks Charlotte.

To be honest our cosplay is pretty low effort; most of the stuff is easily sourced and we pick simple subjects. But it’s still fun, and the Janets, at least, were a successful costume in terms of attracting attention at events.

Ashley
      Lady

Your cosplays might be low effort Rachel, but they’re still awesome 🙂

I have done a little cosplaying in guy mode, but nothing too elaborate.

I’m still thinking about a Yennifer cosplay. It will take a lot of effort, lots of clothes and makeup, but the challenge will be part of the fun I think.

#TeamYenForLife

Never crossplayed, but if I did I would dress up as Jodie (the current Doctor in “Doctor Who” (she is the woman in my profile picture).

Roxy641

Loved the pictures… Live long and prosper. 🙂

Roxy641

Abby M
      Lady

I follow a bunch of cosplayers on fb, twitter, and youtube, but I have never cosplayed. I feel like I am too overweight and would only cosplay to relative height or build. I am around 6’4″-5″ tall, so I feel that if I did crossplay I would have to be a tall amazonian figure. I really like Gina Carano as Angel Dust in Deadpool or Cara Dune in the Mandalorian. I feel like I would definitely want to do something with her characters in mind, because she is a strong female character.

From anime, I think one of the first transexual characters I came across was Kamatari Honjo from Nobuhiro Watsuki’s Rurouni Kenshin. She is originally identified as a a woman and reveals that she is genetically a man. She is a member of the juppongatana, or 10 swords, and serves Shishio Makoto. Makoto is the successor to the protagantist Kenshin’s assassin persona known as the battosai. However, he was betrayed by the meiji government and burned alive. Seeking revenge, the juppongatana try to overthrow the Japanese government. Kamatari loves Shishio, but a former prostitute Yumi fulfills the role of lover and confident to Shishio. So Kamatari proves her love by being a fearsome warrior, wielding a humongous scythe with a counterbalanced chain on it. This character to me was so original and new to me when I first saw them in the anime and then when I read the manga that I was able to see them as a person. I feel being a kid, you are conditioned to think certain ways by society or you mock what you don’t understand. I feel like reading that character, I just saw a human, which is what you should do period. I was able to overcome my own ‘eww’ factor and see the similarities between fact and fiction. I feel that if I ever cosplayed, definitely would want to pay homage to this amazing character.

Abby M
        Lady

I guess I lied, I did a low effort Team Rocket Grunt from Pokemon. It was partially inspired by James in the show and my then girlfriend was Jessie. I think if I did it again, I wouldn’t mind doing the female Rocket Grunt from Pokemon go that has the miniskirt and pink bob haircut.

Abby M
      Lady

Besides the roles of Gina Carano I already mentioned, I just literally found out she was in Command and Conquer Red Alert 3. I feel that is another one I definitely wouldn’t mind doing! https://femalevillains.fandom.com/wiki/Natasha_Volkova_(Command_%26_Conquer:_Red_Alert_3)

Very well done costumes and pics!  I’m doing my first cosplay (at 43) this Halloween as Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop (was originally gonna be Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist but sadly due to COVID shipping woes that’s going to end up being closer to Christmas).  It’s encouraging to see such great results from other pre-millennials, and it looks like your family has a load of fun with it.  Keep up the good work!

Anonymous

I want to go as Sailor Saturn (Hotaru Tomoe) from the Sailor Moon manga/anime.

I’ve got the parts for the costume already to be made! (And a good sewing machine).

Ideally, I’d want at least seven people dressed as some of the other sailor senshii, women/men or a mix.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?