• This topic has 29 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 12 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

I’ve been realizing of late that crossdressing and the arts have gone together nearly as long as either has existed, but started to think personally about the moments that most influenced me… maybe influence is simultaneously the right and the wrong word. Perhaps opened my eyes? Legitimized my feelings? Gave me the sense I wasn’t alone? I’ve come to realize that as a filmmaker and musician the format of a music video reaches me on a level that other media can’t.

Overly verbose prologue aside and at the risk of dating myself, I decided to list the videos I still to this day vividly remember from my youth that feature crossdressing (and by feature I mean as part of an overall narrative; why use a hammer when a scalpel will do and all). I do this in part in hopes of expanding the list, since one thing we’re blessed with here at CDH is a multigenerational community who had their formative years in remarkably different times. Not that I’m saying limit it to formative years. But I’m rambling again.

My current list:
      Aerosmith (so many good ones here, but we’ll go with): Livin’ on the Edge
      Duran Duran: Come Undone
      The Cure: The 13th (such a departure, and rewatching it I’m pretty sure Smith invented the Heath Ledger Joker, prove me wrong.)
      Spacehog: In the Meantime

There are probably a ton more that are slipping my mind at the moment, but we’ll leave it at that for now.

You girls have any favorites to add to the watch list?

Ilona
      Lady

Kinks: Lola
      Queen: I want to break free

That dark brown voice.

And of course anything by Queen.

Thank you!

Boys Keep Swinging-David Bowie. Think he gets three outfits in!

He took androgyny and cross dressing and dragged it on to the stage and TV. An extraordinarily talented person who pushed against so many stereotypes.

❤️Bianca

I actually recently did a video tribute to possibly one of the greatest Davids who ever lived (alongside the founder of Wendy’s and the eponymous Jewish king). Definitely one for the history books, RIP.

I mean four if you count the tux. ;}

Nancy
      Lady

ilona beat me to Queen. Even though it may not be their most highly looked upon song/video, I loved seeing Freddie Mercury in that one.

I’ll add one more, let’s not forget about Boy George of Culture Club, in Karma Cameleon.

Birel

Ilona
        Lady

I must admit that Roger Taylor made quite a convincing school girl

oh yes I was a big fan of Boy George

Ilona
        Lady

I must admit that Roger Taylor seemed to be enjoying himself, but I don’t think John Deacon and Brian May enjoyed the experience.

Ilona
      Lady

You may find this site interesting: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/419538521540795937/

Anonymous

That collage of cross dressing is so fun.  And when I got near the bottom, there was “That 70s Show” Hispanic, who feminizes from the neck down. I have rarely watched the show, but I remember him because I thought hey that’s me. He’s cool. And so is she.

Anonymous

That collage of cross dressing is so fun.  And when I got near the bottom, there was “That 70s Show” Hispanic, who feminizes from the neck down. I have rarely watched the show, but I remember him because I thought hey that’s me. He’s cool. And so is she.

ryoho ii desu ne!  Common Japanese expression for “Both are good.” There are two wonderful things at work here for who I am: 1. We are all the same. 2. We are all different.  🙂

Anonymous

ryoho ii desu ne!  Common Japanese expression for “Both are good.” There are two wonderful things at work here for who I am: 1. We are all the same. 2. We are all different.  🙂

Nicky D
      Lady

These two music video show how it feels to struggle with gender. Makes me feel like I’m not alone in the world.

Arcade Fire – We Exist https://vimeo.com/95392989 

93punx -3 year sober

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enqtRxHtGG8

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Nicky D.
      • This reply was modified 2 years ago by Nicky D.
        MelanieElizabeth
        Ambassador

Ty Nicky. I’ve always been a casual fan of arcade fire but I’m a much bigger fan now. I’m practically moved to tears I think anyone who has struggled with being a dresser should watch it.  It’s a little scary for anyone who hasn’t been out yet but I can so identify with the character.  From what I read the songs is basically an open letter from a son to his father telling him he is different when it comes to his personal identity. I found it very moving as I think anyone on this site would as well.

SteffieC
      Duchess

And let’s not forget the New York Dolls who regularly performed in drag. They weren’t pretty but they knew how to rock!

The list grows ever longer, thanks girls! And to add a couple I neglected to mention:

The Odds: Heterosexual Man (I mean who doesn’t love Dave Foley in a dress?)
      Foo Fighters: Learn to Fly (what I wouldn’t give for their prosthetics budget!)
      There’s also an interesting alternate video for U2’s One featuring the entire band in drag. Y’know, back when they were still relatively pretty.

Anonymous

So am I by Ava Max
      Cherry 🍒 lips by garbage is my favorite
      I found out about this song on CDH

Garbage in the new millennium is news to me. Probably my old man kneejerk “all new music is crap”. Even though I know better. To be fair, there *is* a lot of crap to wade through to find the gems.

Such a huge Garbage fan. In my youth I loved Shirley Manson, who am I kidding, still have a huge crush 😍, but maybe because I just want to be Shirley Manson 💁‍♀️

Surprised no mention of Laid by James.

Also, for anyone truly looking for an experience check out the Visual Kei period in Japanese music. I think the best description I read was “Where the girls are girls and so are the boys”. The music can actually be spectacularly good, if you like that sort of thing 🤷‍♀️

I completely forgot about James, thank you hun!

The Rolling Stones – Have You Seen Your Mother Baby (Standing In The Shadows) 45 picture sleeve with the boys dressed in drag. LOL!’

Be safe. Love and Peace.

Amber

Ilona
      Lady

I’m surprised no-one has mentioned Erasure yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8NqwW0hJ9w

What’s this? Proper credits in a music video? *spit takes*

Anonymous

Has anyone heard of Orville Peck? He is an amazing country artist, freaky looking with the fringed mask, but his voice is haunting…a lot like Roy Orbison. He does a version of the Bobbie Gentry song Fancy, but instead of a girl being turned out by her mother in his version Fancy is a boy. The line “staring back from the looking glass there stood a woman where a half-grown boy had stood, here’s your once chance Fancy don’t let me down” just says it!

His EP Show Pony Is with every penny of the $5.99 on iTunes

Haley😘

This is great, honestly I’d say more Cash than Orbison, but honestly he’s got his own voice. Is ambient country a thing? Because I think I just discovered it.

Anonymous

Cash, Merle…he is amazing!

Ilona
      Lady

My brother used to wear a green dress at weddings. My father wouldn’t let him take the dress when they moved out of London.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?