• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Stevie Steiner
    Ambassador
    Registered On: June 11, 2020
    Topics: 42
    Replies: 962

Shame on me for even typing that “P” word.  Culling is a better term I think, and there is a small herd of clothing in my closet that makes me go UGH, and needs culling.  Even in a short amount of time I realize I have moved on from some of the tight, snug, skimpy – and yeah, cheesy – attire to items more relaxed.  Now, worry not, there will always be room for those bodycon dresses and skin tight stuff, but I guess I’ve matured?  Or just dressing my age, which is only right.  Guess I’m ready to hang loose instead of hanging tight when it comes to clothing I wear, 😅.

It will be a first for me when I donate women’s clothing TO the Thrift Store instead of just buying clothing lol.   So, any other sisters do the purg….. I mean culling of the wardrobe herd occasionally, or are you a pack rat of old clothes??

Scratching my head over fashion,

Stevie

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous
      Registered On:
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 271

I do get rid of clothing that either is worn out, does not fit or tired of the style. I do my best to only buy things that do not go out of style but sometimes I put on a dress or blouse and it doesn’t work in my brain anymore as I look in the mirror. Lately I have taken things to donate because of losing weight. I’m down to a 16 and approaching 14 in size. Hope in another year or so to be a size 10…a girl can dream can’t she

Hugs,

Carla

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Bobbi
      Lady
      Registered On: September 13, 2018
      Topics: 26
      Replies: 1497

Culling is NOT purging.  Culling is simply, getting rid of things you no longer want, things that no longer fit you, or things that have tears, stains or holes in them.

Jenny Jones
      Lady
      Registered On: November 5, 2019
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 128

So I am more of a packrat, but I also learned of an almost better method which is to give it away to friends. I have met one or two fellow CDs and we do clotheswaps between us. Kind of a circle whenever we get bored of our clothes so there’s always some freshness to it. And occasionally when we start missing a dress we can ask for it back. Sometimes it cannot go back due to being gotten rid of or destroyed, but sometimes we do get that cute dress back and can wear it again. Sometimes it gets swapped back without us asking for it, but it does help.

Carri
      Lady
      Registered On: September 2, 2018
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 33

The thing I do is put stuff I don’t want any longer into a box and mark it clothing. Shove it some place and forget about it for a few months.  Then go cleaning and discover said box of clothes I have forgotten about, I go thru it and oh I want to keep this and that, the rest is going away.  Getting rid of something because you “Think” you don’t want it and then have regrets about it being gone and not being able to find it ever again. This method has saved me a few things.

My taste for fashion has changed a lot over the years, but its been sliding toward the vintage era and classy woman attire. The short skirts, LBD and overly slutty stuff is finding its way to the yard sale box.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      karley delaware
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: October 23, 2017
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 419

Yes…….there is a difference……………my space is limited ……so sometimes the “found” clothes that had a spark but really did not fit all that well is replaced with something that …………..you know………….sets me ablaze with excitement!!!!  karley

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Rozalyne Richards
      Lady
      Registered On: March 10, 2018
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 362

Hi Stevie that’s a great idea I’ve got to go through my wardrobe and do some culling myself,

There must be lots of outdated clothes in there i think it’s time to have a clear out and get some fashionable clothes for the new year and beyond,

I definitely need some new dresses and some new lingerie and maybe some new shoes and boots,

Hugs Rozalyne x

Angela Booth
      Lady
      Registered On: August 1, 2020
      Replies: 62

I think the term Recycling is suitable.

I like to think I am a recycled teenager….

6 users thanked author for this post.
      Wendy Swift
      Lady
      Registered On: May 11, 2020
      Replies: 360

What an excellent term – culling.

So far I’ve culled twice, the latest was mid December.  Items that I no longer wear, does not fit, don’t like the style, … all got culled.  I wound up with a good sized garbage bag of clothing that will be donated.

Bianca Everdene
      Lady
      Registered On: April 11, 2017
      Topics: 22
      Replies: 713

Hi Stevie

Culling is better than purging which to me sounds like we are doing it from a sense of guilt rather than just having a clear out. My biggest cull last year as if my drab male stuff. I used to be of the attitude that it still fits and  it’s functional I continue to wear it, some of my male stuff was over 20 years old, drab shapeless, beige blue brown grey.

Now much more colourful, better fitting, joyful items on my Bianca side, which I hated stuffing in a ‘hidey hole’ and now has pride of place hanging in my wardrobe. It really is such a contrast between the old me and the new me looking at both sides. And it makes so much sense why womenswear makes me so much happier, just better looking and brings joy into my life.

❤️Bianca

7 users thanked author for this post.
      Anonymous
      Registered On:
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 228

I buy a lot of my clothes from the Salvation Army Thrift Store so I appreciate those that make donations.

At the beginning of each season I get my clothes from storage some end up on a hanger and others are headed for the Thrift Store.

My problem is letting go. I look at a dress and it brings back a special memory so it just goes on a hanger.

I still have my first bra!!!!

But what I love is bringing a bag of clothes to the Thrift Store, getting a discount coupon for the donation then going shopping and bringing a bag full of clothes back home.

Jessica

4 users thanked author for this post.
        stephanie plumb
        Baroness - Annual
        Registered On: November 17, 2018
        Topics: 132
        Replies: 1599

I still have my first bra too. It must be around 40 years old!   From M&S I think.  I hung on to it for  sentimental reasons.   It’s hardly been worn for 30 years – too small at 38C.   I suppose its vintage now.

Amanda Burton
          Baroness - Annual
          Registered On: January 15, 2020
          Topics: 20
          Replies: 1070

Like it’s owner now Stephanie he he, (who said that, own up)

stephanie plumb
      Baroness - Annual

Are all your clothes made of fur,  animal hides or skins, or feathers then?  It would explain the culling.

🐇🦝🐑 Steph

Amanda Burton
        Baroness - Annual

Sounds like a 2poos wardrobe, after her adventures.

Ginny Virginia
      Lady
      Registered On: December 22, 2020
      Topics: 7
      Replies: 172

I am a recycler as well, although not frequently so. Most of what I have is lingerie, and I keep it until there is a rip or some such. (remember what Mother said about going to the hospital in tattered undies!) Saving it also marks time for me: my first thong, bought ages ago. lingerie that I bought in Paris and London, so not so inexpensive. My first tanga, also from Paris. I could go on, (and will, if anyone would like). My stash is like a museum to me.

love in 2021!

Ginny

stephanie plumb
        Baroness - Annual

I won’t ask how your lingerie gets ripped.  I find that mesh bra’s quickly deteriorate – they are so flimsy!

Ginny Virginia
          Lady
          Registered On: December 22, 2020
          Topics: 7
          Replies: 172

Ha! I have had a tear or two in lace panties, likely undersized!

hugs,
          Ginny

Anonymous
      Registered On:
      Topics: 19
      Replies: 700

Hi Stevie,

You are just making room for more newer clothes!

❤Kay

stephanie plumb
      Baroness - Annual

Culling and purging are bad enough words.  So often I say “Now why did I get rid of that lovely leather-look mini skirt!” or “Where are those sexy thongs?”

I don’t want to hear that phrase “dressing my age” either!  Hands over my ears.  No. No.

I refuse to give in to time, or act the age on my birthday cards. Petra  Pan – that’s me.  Being a mature but young at heart person is my style. Never ever, ( well not until I’m in my box or dribbling into my soup in a care home chair), will I give up  my sexy lingerie or mini-skirts, for a frumpy cardy and thick hairy tweed skirt and wrinkly brown “Norah Batty’s”.

But each to her own Auntie (makes you sound old, so lets get back to Cutie.)

Rant over. Sorry  Cutie. 👱🏻‍♀️

BigBangtheory
      Lady
      Registered On: January 14, 2020
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 144

I have only been dressing for about three years and find myself culling some of the things that I bought early on. Most of the things were purchased just because they might fit and from either thrift stores or yard sales. We frequently donate to the Salvation Army store, Goodwill or a local charity. As time goes on I think I am also maturing from that slutty teenage gurl to the mature well dressed woman that blends in. I have also worked hard on losing weight so the baggy jeans can’t stay. My wife and I both are looking to do some serious recycling soon. I like recycling better than culling and urge all to donate, as there are many less fortunate during these troubling times. The best thing about it all is that there’s more room in the closet for NEW things!! Winter clearance is happening so let’s go shopping!  Stephanie

Celeste Starre
      Lady
      Registered On: June 26, 2018
      Topics: 34
      Replies: 823

Often for me it’s just a matter of getting tired of some things and wanting new things. Sometimes things just wear out,get a stain that won’t come out,or a hole or rip. Sometimes I find a version of an item that’s just so much nicer than what I have or fits better and it’s out with the old and in with the new. That’s where ebay comes in.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      Regine Rich
      Princess
      Registered On: October 9, 2020
      Topics: 21
      Replies: 600

I haven’t gotten to the point of recycling, just yet, but I do see it in the future, as my closet is getting full already,, so, yes, I will be culling/recycling, to the thrift store at some point, but as Grace said, never p#####g, to me that does mean everything must go, never going to happen
      Regi.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      Amanda Burton
      Baroness - Annual

No no no no Stevie, culling is not a great replacement for purging sweetie. (oh happy new year). Recycling is more environmentally conscious planning. We all need to accept that our taste, and figures change, but many clothes can be of value to charity shops, a new lease of life for many to enjoy,or worn out items sold as industrial rags etc. So I personally think recycling is a better term. No  often offence sweetie

Stevie Steiner
        Ambassador

Worry not Amanda.  All culled items shall be donated to the thrift store – I’ll be there shopping anyway!😁

Anonymous
      Registered On:
      Topics: 58
      Replies: 1716

Stevie

p*****g is everything ….

but donating is quite permissable….providing you’re not back in the shop the following day, buying it back….and as the slightly adapted saying goes….beauty fashion is in the eye of the beholder…

Smiles, grace ❤️

Stevie Steiner
        Ambassador

Grace honey I should never have used that emotionally explosive P word.

” Cleansing the Closet of Unwanted & Torn Items Exclusively is better.😁

Or CUTIE for short. 😅

Anonymous
      Registered On:
      Replies: 48

Hi Stevie,
      I think we all have to go through it at some point as our vision of ourselves evolves. When I look back at my early days in NY, so closeted, so terrified. The only places I’d dare to buy clothes were adult stores and seedy places. My early attempts at dressing were a disaster.I always ended up looking like a $10 hooker on meth or something.
      As my dissatisfaction increased with my attempts at dressing, this was before internet shopping was a thing, I eventually forced myself into a proper store. So many attempts just to make it to the ladies department, then that sudden about turn, hurrying away, sweaty palms, defeated. And finally after so many aborted attempts, to find something you love, something that fits and feels so good. Whew.
      It always amazes me how symbolic and important clothes have become to me. I have no interest in drab, even when I have to buy it, I remind myself it’s for survival, but when I hold up my pink and black sweater to my body I become someone else, someone I love and cherish.That sweater is a symbol of possibility to me,and what I went through to be confident enough to actually go into a shop, choose it, examine it and then go buy it. I would actually fight for it. God I sound nuts.
      So for me purging only to evolve. No other excuse accepted. Culling though. A girls gotta, but some things (my first, expensive,bra and pants set, black lace,) I’ll never get rid of. Too sentimental.
      XX
      Kim.

Laura Lovett
      Lady
      Registered On: March 26, 2020
      Topics: 13
      Replies: 844

I made my first donations of clothing that I just know I won’t ever wear to charity shops this time last year.

Mostly it was a case of the clothes being much too small for me to conceivably slim down into.

3 pairs of lovely shoes in boxes that my wife wouldn’t accept from me – but there’s no point in keeping shoes that don’t fit.

It’s not purging, it’s making space for the clothes you’ll need this year, while providing for people who can’t afford new – and benefitting charity at the same time.

Win, win, win, win!!!!

Love Laura

stephanie plumb
        Baroness - Annual

Your a 4x winner, Laura.

sorry.

Amanda Burton
          Baroness - Annual

It was just a written stutter Stephanie 😂

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account