Viewing 17 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      MelanieElizabeth
      Ambassador

I don’t mean geeky in a bad way, I’m not saying you were a nerd growing up but have some of your interests and hobbies slanted that way? For example have you always loved sci-fi or fantasy? Are you grown and still read superhero comics or collect associated memorabilia? I feel that many of us still love that stuff to this day. Maybe we are attracted to fantasy and the like much as we are attracted to crossdressing, it gives us an escape from our normal drab lives. I’ve seen too many pictures here of folks wearing Star Trek uniforms and superhero outfits to convince me other wise! Maybe it’s just that we are coming clean about some of our guilty pleasures because we already have admitted we are cds, so why not just fess up the other things we love. I admit I have loved Star Trek my whole life and have spent more time playing dungeons and dragons than I’ve spent en femme! Anyway do you consider yourself a little “geeky”? If so what hobbies or interests did you have?

I have been a nerd, and proud of it, since I was a young child.  My dad introduced me to the science fiction and fantasy genres when I was 3, and I have never looked back.  I am a dreamer with a very active imagination.  On that note, I am currently writing two novels, one science fiction and one fantasy.  I have also been involving with computers, coding, and gaming since my elementary years.

MacKenzie Alexandra

Oh yeah, you bet !

Growing up, I used to collect comics, star wars figures, transformers, gi joe, and atari 2600 games.  I used to love building models.

Now that I’ve grown up, married, bought a house, my wife and I did collect some star wars stuff, I branched off and started collecting some wonder woman items like figures/comics.  But alas, with home ownership you start diverting $$$ to important things like food/insurance/utilities which meant we stopped collecting anything years ago.

I do have some superheroine t shirts and belts like wonder woman, supergirl, batgirl, but again due to lack of funds that had to stop too.

Lara Muir
      Baroness - Annual

I was into The Hobbit, The Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Universe. I have since come upon the Discworld series, and am loving it!
      My wife and I were big Buffy The Vampire Slayer series fans, and are binge watching it again on Amazon Prime some 20 plus years later.

So yes I’m a classic geek!

💕Lara

MelanieElizabeth
        Ambassador

Well thanks for the admission Lara! As I mentioned I used to play d and d so obviously I love tolkiens trilogy. I’ve always wanted to delve into terry Pritchetts works but just haven’t gotten around to it. Ty for the recommendation Lara I will check it out

The only hobby I had that could be considered “geeky” was stamp collecting, but kinda grew out of it by high school.  After that I started collecting 1/64 scale farm toys, and still do to this day nearly 40 years later.  I love it!  I am and will always be proud of the fact that I was and still to this day consider my self a nerd!  Revenge of the Nerds is my absolute favorite movie!  I am and always have been a fan of Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and any space based science fiction along with high fantasy!  It is who I am and I am proud of the fact.

I went to computer club in the 1970’s in an attempt to get into the pants of a girl! I failed that respect but really discovered a love for programming! Fortran, Cobol… eventually C and C+ etc. Laying in bed of a night tapping away on my laptop in the 90’s… cool.

Also was fascinated with paper dolls and doll’s clothes when very young… graduated to miniature soldiers and war games in my teenage years… nearly forgot to have sex!

pow pow Polly 🪖🤓

MelanieElizabeth
        Ambassador

Polly you are out of your mind! In a funny and good way. Thanks for your response.

No sane person enjoys COBOL, lol!  I am a C++ software developer, but after close to 30 years, the love of software programming is long gone.

You got that right! However, COBOL was better than machine language! In any case… I’m also long done with programming.

Anonymous

You got that right! I loved COBOL and considering an offer to go work on a COBOL conversion for a very rich hourly rate! $$$
          (Yeah and I said you are right because I would never accept being insulted being told I’m sane) 😉

Old COBOL coder myself, here! Wrote and maintained COBOL code from 1975 until about 2008, when they decommissioned our mainframe and rolled it out the door! After that, my boss threw me a lifeline and I eeked out a living in the Network world with a combination of VB6 and SQL. Finally got laid off at 65 in 2012. Today?… I don’t think I could code past the ID DIVISION! But I don’t miss it. Now I’ve got more time for crossdressing!!

Made an obscene amount of money when the y2k problem rolled around… patching old IBMs etc… even found an old Novel mail server that had run continuously for over ten years… never hurts to speak a few languages.

MelanieElizabeth
            Ambassador

Lol, y2k was the biggest nothing burger ever. Every i.t. person was up to their eyeballs in work and a some were on call waiting for the moment the new millennium came. At the end of the day it was all a waste but I guess better to be safe than sorry. Glad you at least made a couple of bucks out of the hysteria.

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
          PROGRAM-ID. PRG1.
          ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
          DATA DIVISION.
          PROCEDURE DIVISION.
          DISPLAY “HELLO WORLD!”.
          STOP RUN.

Well, since you asked, yes, I’m very much a nerd and always have been.  I started playing D&D in ‘82 and have occasionally played ever since with friends or my kids.  Also played several other RPGs, and I even converted my garage into a game room with a specially made gaming table.
      I collect board games of all types and genres.
      Star Trek: The Next Generation is my favorite tv show of all time, and I’ve seen all of the other Trek shows and movies, as well as most sci fi made since ‘60.
      I read comics extensively as a kid, and still pay attention to what’s going on in continuity.
      Pre-Covid, I had gone to the biggest game conventions in the US for 10 yrs in a row.

So you could say I’m a nerd.  I’ve noticed a big overlap between CDs and nerds, probably due to the opportunity for escapism and examining/reinventing yourself.

Liara Wolfe
      Duchess

I am a big SciFi fan.

Hugs, Liara

Kelly Lee
      Duchess - Annual

Lets see here
      Star Trek – yes
      Star Wars – yes
      The Lord Of The Rings – yes
      The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. – yes
      Computers – yes (my daytime job is 100% linux)
      Electronics like Arduino & ESP – yes (my official education)
      Sport of any kind – no
      Get drunk at the bar – no

I guess that’s enough points to classify me as geek

/kt

MelanieElizabeth
        Ambassador

Welcome to the club Kelly! You pass the test with flying colors.

Anonymous

Me to a tee.  Add to that Monty Python, Blackadder, and Red Dwarf.

Anonymous

Kelly, we had an old joke at work. Do you know how to kill a Star Trek fan? Work on the show!

Jaynee Laparte
      Duchess - Annual

Definitely!  Computers, SciFi, and cats are my other interests. Also guitars and Jeeps. Are they geeky?

Let’s be accurate, VERY geeky!

Yup,  Me too.  When I was 16, I fixed TV’s (the electronic kind, nothing strange here, lol) and at 18 I built a linear particle accelerator.  Later on I got a solar energy patent.  Next, I designed and built my own house and now am working on another.  I even have a Sonic Screwdriver.  Never dull around here.  Marg

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

More than a little geeky…..

I work in IT.  It’s a paid hobby.  My home network might be considered overkill.  Terabytes of redundant storage, cloud backup, virtualization, segmented networking, mesh Wi-Fi, UTM firewall, a handful of laptops and PC’s.

Then there’s the photo gear.  Last count 4 bodies, 9 lenses, 3 tripods, 2 flash guns, a pile of filters, 1 large format photo printer, and the usual Adobe editing software.

Oh I almost forgot.  Love Star Trek, Star Wars, and most Sci-fi.

Kelly Lee
        Duchess - Annual

So you have your own home network also. I do have 3 servers running and 20+ VMs on them, NAS, in house cloud storage and so on, all linux based.

Forgot but yes, I’m in to photography also, just not as much there any more. Should probably try to get out more now when the weather is warmer.

/kt

Emily Alt
          Managing Ambassador

I don’t have that many VM’s.  If I had more than a handful it would feel too much like work, LOL!

Kelly Lee
            Duchess - Annual

[quote quote=643515]it would feel too much like work,[/quote]
            And what’s wrong with that? I have several hobbies and if I can get paid to do my hobby (my daytime job is keeping linux servers running) why should I complain?

/kt

Emily Alt
            Managing Ambassador

Well, if they were management free that would be okay.  They’re not.  I have to leave some time for girly adventures!

I have always known I was geeky. I grew up reading comic books, playing D&D, and getting into computer gaming. Nowadays, I still on occasion play D&D, watch comic book movies, dress up in superheroine costumes, and go to comic-cons.

ChloeC
      Duchess

um, well, yes.  I’m a Tolkien fan, having seen all the movies including Bakshi’s semi-animation years ago, as well as the Rankin-Bass atrocities. I have LOTR and The Hobbit, both extended versions.  I was very involved with an online Middle-earth RPG, actually creating games and activities on the role playing side and moderating one of the more serious discussions on the other and being very much into the character of a Lothlorien elf. Oh, and I wrote about 10-15 Middle-earth related stories, some sort of, well, Mary Sue-ish. I bought my 1st Tolkien book sometime around 1975 and now have about 30 more.  And shortly I will be attending online a series of lectures on Middle-earth and Tolkien.

I’m also proud to say that I have on DVD the ORIGINAL Star Wars Trilogy, not that infantilized later Lucas monstrosity (Han did shoot first, he does shoot first, he will always shoot first!!! cuz Greedo would’ve done so given the chance)

I also love trivia and am on a local bar team that has gone through lots of changes in the past 5 or so years, but I’ve been the most consistent member, and we’ve always been very competitive having won maybe close to $1K in gift cards. Oh, and combining this with the above, I have Lord of The Rings, Trivial Pursuit game.

But other than all that, I’m just a quite well-adjusted mostly average human who easily blends into any crowd with only a few other foibles…but, who’s counting.

Hugs, ChloeC

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by ChloeC.
        Anonymous

I actually saw Star Wars on opening day.  The effect on me and the audience I saw it with is something I will never forget.

ChloeC
          Duchess

I didn’t see the 1st movie until sometime after the release. I actually read the story (paperback) first.  But this reminds me, I was living in Chicago and had the radio on and the host was live interviewing Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford and the show took call in questions and I actually got to talk to them (I asked about that ‘thing’ in the garbage bin). They sent me a version of the original poster (Carrie’s thunderthighs) which I still have!

Heck, Yes!

Araminta.

I have oh so many interests that fall into this genre:

Star Trek,

Star Wars,

LOTR,

Marvel movies and shows (comic books when I was younger),

I guess “Big Bang Theory” might qualify since I get the many references to other geeky stuff,

“Harry Potter”,

I have watched the DC movies (and was a fan of the comics) – but they were never as good as Marvel

I also do a fair amount of research on “Home Automation” – someday “Jarvis” (the early version) will be at my “beck and call”.

Am I a bit geeky?  You bet.  I have a number of things here that no one mentioned.

I too am a Star Trek fan, at least through Next Generation,  But I hated the bad science.  “Our engines are failing.  We’re losing orbit.”  Really?  We have satellites that stay up for years without engines.  Or moving forward through time?  That’s easy.  Ask Einstein.  Just travel near the speed of light.

I’ve also been a Dr. Who fan since Tom Baker (late 70’s).

I also like math and logic games and puzzles.  I like Sudoku and variants. XSudoku is where the diagonals also have to be unique. I also have the option of playing Roxdoku, a 3×3 cube where each face is unique, and Mathdoku where “cages” are drawn and you have to satisfy an operation and reach a result in each cage as well as keeping the numbers in each row and column unique.

I like other math/science jokes and comics.  Have you heard the one about determining a building height with a barometer?  There are all kinds of answers not related to the expected answer of measuring the difference in air pressure.  I like other logic puzzles, such as rebus puzzles.  I like reading Murphy’s laws and their many corollaries.  And I really look forward to reading xkcd, a really geeky web comic.  It’s so geeky that the “joke” continues hidden in the title text, found by hovering the mouse over the image

I am a Jeopardy! fan.  For those who don’t know what Jeopardy! is, it is an answer and question quiz show.  They give you the clue and you have to reply in the form of a question.  I was really rooting earlier this season for Amy Schneider, an openly transgendered contestant who won the second most games and fourth most money in the shows history (excluding tournaments).  I’m definitely not at that level.

I’m an IT professional who grew up with Unix and later Linux, and I still use the Command Line Interface and shell programming.  The second computer I used in high school was a desktop size version of an early HP programmable calculator.  I did some of my early programming on punch cards (and even learned basic “editing” using the duplicate and holding a card in either the read or punch station to insert or delete a character).  I grew up with email when it was truly a game of telephone, computers literally calling each other up over the phone network and transferring files up and down the line over a 300 baud modem.  Your email address was a series of computers to call from the backbone of the internet to your computer.

One day in college the people in the machine room were having some fun.  The machine room was visible from a big window in the hall.  They turned on all the test lights on the front of the IBM 360, then selectively unscrewed bulbs until the panel read TILT (a reference to a pinball machine that has been shaken so much that it deactivates for the current ball).  Students who submitted jobs to the computer were wondering why they ran when the machine said TILT.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?