Viewing 51 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Do you prefer to wear skirt and tops, or dresses?

For this question, let’s call skorts and skirt suits as skirts, and two or three piece dresses as dresses.  You can define “prefer” as either you have more in your closet, you wear more often, or would rather wear.

I get that there are times where jeans, slacks, leggings, capris, shorts or other types of pants are more appropriate.  But I’m interested in the skirt vs. dress question here.

For me, I prefer skirts.  By wearing a different top, I can change the color combination, or make the outfit work for different seasons.  I can have on a gender neutral top to appear on camera while wearing a skirt out of the camera’s view.  And quite a number of them can be made more casual or more formal or festive by changing the top.  Every couple of weeks I get an urge to wear a dress instead of a skirt, but I’m much more likely to wear a skirt and top combo.

Lara Muir
      Baroness - Annual

Hi Alison,

I like skirts too, but have more dresses.

It is also  so wonderful to shimmy into a summer dress!

Lara👗

I prefer whatever looks the most feminine.  Dresses, skirts, capris, shorts, leggings, slacks,  feminine means flowing, stylish, colorful and coordinated.

Revel
      Baroness

I like wearing both skirts and dresses, but I have more dresses than skirts. Dresses got my vote.

Rev 🌹

I would generally like to wear a nice skirt and casual top, but also like a nice dress. At the moment can’t wear neither, I just have to dream

Hi Alison,

You said it best, skirts and and tops is a science in and of itself.

I am a total dress girl. One of our sisters claimed at one time to have 200 dresses. I could do that, all too easily.

There are many “Diane Rules”. One of them isn’t “don’t wear the same dress twice.” Yet.

Affectionately,

Diane

I like to wear both but I prefer wearing dresses. For me there’s just something about the feeling of freedom when I just slip into a dress. Wearing just one garment over my lingerie feels more feminine to me.

Alison, Nice question, I have a few skirts but I have so many dresses it’s probably illegal and it’s the same with shoes. I am dress poor as my grandmother would say. I like skirts but I can’t stop buying dresses, I buy at least six a month. Oh my God, I need dress rehab!

Angela Booth
      Hostess

I am a dress girl and have too many to count. The first thing I noticed about girls were the lovely dresses they wore and wanting one for myself. I have been making up for those times of not having any and the wardrobe is full!

I have shorter thigh length tunic styles to long ones. It is often written that girls these days do not wear a dress, or the shops do not sell them. I have seen lots of women and girls in them and I have no problem topping up the wardrobe from the shop rails.

That’s not to say I haven’t got skirts and tops. I like to wear a long skirt in the colder months and have a quite a few tops to co ordinate with.It’s trousers and jeans I am not too keen on. The last time I wore a pair of office style trousers was to an interview for a job, that was about four years ago.

It’s dresses for me girls.

The question was, “what do you prefer.” I prefer a dress. In my mind dress = feminine.

However as you noted Alison there is just so much more you can do with skirts and tops.

I love dresses and a full slip under it, but necessity says I must be budget conscious so skirts and tops is the way to go for me.

I envy all you ladies that have your closet full of dresses. I am not sure how you afforded it, but I am happy for you.

Hugs,

Charlene

Anonymous

I’m with you about expense – so how about an “In the vicinity” library scheme to borrow some of each other’s prize items ?
        Just imagine the fines for some clothes !! ( years overdue.)

Well, perhaps not. Imagine the noise in the library – all those girls fighting for THAT dress !!

Happy days to you all.

And this girl loves a full slip with a skirt and blouse, so clothed, hinting of lace.

try to keep the numbers about even for skirts and dresses, but I have many more blouses than skirts.  The skirts and blouses are for daily errands and such where jeans or slacks don’t quite make the grade.  My dresses are more for dinner out and special occasions.   I do love the ability to mix and match my skirts and blouses though.

PaulaF

I love skirts as they will fit better due to nature of our “bodies”. Dresses have a tendency to be ill-fitting above the waist. I do love dresses and have quite a few, but skirts for a better presentation in my book. I love the secretarial look also.

Carolyn Kay
      Baroness - Annual

Definitely dresses, they just give me a much better look than a skirt. I like the way the line of the dress flows, without stopping midway like a skirt. Dresses just feel more airy and feminine and can be accessorized in so many ways. So for me it is a dress, otherwise I am in slacks and a blouse.

Nancy
      Lady

My vote has to go to skirts. When I go out en femme, it’s mostly in shorts, skinny jeans/leggings, and sometimes skirts/skorts. I have bought several dresses that are hanging in my closet, but never worn one out of the house.

I’m not really sure why that is. Maybe its psychological. In my mind, a skort and t-shirt isn’t all that different from shorts and a t-shirt that I might have been wearing if I were in drab mode. Regardless, I love the idea of dresses, but never wear them.

Birel

I do  enjoy  my  dress but  more of skirt  kind of  girl

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Alison.

I prefer to wear skirts for those times when it’s casual, or when I’m in between outfits (I change probably five or six times per day).  Quick to put on & take off. And I like that I can put different outfits together by changing the tops.  Like I’m wearing right now – a floral pattern skater skirt with a black top.

I prefer to wear dresses when I have time to glam it up a bit; time to put on makeup, time to accessorize.  While my wife knows I’m a CD, she prefers not to see me dressed.  So I leave the dresses for when she heads out of town (which nowadays is getting more often) to see our grandson or her father (who is getting quite frail and sadly not likely to make it to his next birthday).

I own plenty of each and very much like them both.   And when I head out to the stores, like all the other CIS women in my community, I put on my femme skinny jeans.   Have a lovely week.  Hugs, Krista.

I prefer dresses but mostly wear skirts, leggings or shorts with appropriate tops.

Lovely question… and a half slip!

Then there’s fittting under either: something sheer and clasping – these supermarket tights I’ve found – or perhaps with somethung  gartered.

Liara Wolfe
      Duchess

This was a hard choice for me as I love a cute dress. But after thinking about it skirts are so adorable and you can change them up with different tops.

Hugs, Liara

Sylvia
      Lady

Dear Alison ,

I prefer dresses over skirts just because they give me a more intense Feminine feeling.

However , I love wearing a nice skirt too !

Love Sylvia.

Alex Hill
      Lady

That’s a difficult one to answer! My heart would say dresses, but logic says skirts, I’d say I wear skirts more than dresses.

Comfort is key for me when it comes to clothing, particularly if I’m doing general activities. Skirts can be less intrusive (dependant on whether they dig into my stomach or not!), whereas with dresses you can learn forward and feel it pull at your shoulders etc.

Hi Alison!

Fun topic! I voted for dresses. While skirts and blouses are indeed feminine, I just feel dresses are just a bit more feminine. One pattern and/or fabric from neck line to hem line gives the most feminine look in my mind which is why I prefer dresses. Skirts and blouses do give more choices and are easier in many ways but I love dresses best.

Hugs,

Autumn

A skirt and blouse allows for more fashionable options.

Be safe. Love and Peace.

Amber

Dresses have a slight priority over skirts and tops for me. switching tops and skirts to achieve different looks, feels, colors and combinations is fun, but dresses seem to add more femininity than skirts and tops. Besides with all the different styles, length, purposes and colors of dresses nearly the same end result can be achieved with a dress as with a skirt and top.

Kathleen
      Duchess

I love them both but I do so enjoy laying out a new skirt/top outfit

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I actually love a one piece dress. BUT…. Being the classic inverted triangle that I am, I often can’t fit a dress well. Separates seem to be the best for me.

I’m 46-36-42, so, a dress that fits my torso(even without forms) tends to be big in the waist and huge in the hips. I’ve been lucky with a few that are VERY stretchy that I can get around my chest and they just hang on the hips. Rare…

So, Skirt/top  combos are usually the best option do that I can buy separates that fit the top and bottom accordingly.

Shop on girls!

xoxo

Rayna

Karen Spudet
        Baroness

I’m with you with a 44 chest and 36 waist 43 hips. For dresses I like to with sweater a stretch material.

Hugs Karen

Interesting question. For me it is dresses (sun when warm, full when cool) or nothing at home, and GV Amanda jeans and a femme shirt when shopping or out to dinner. Best wishes, Marlene.

Rhonda Lee
      Baroness - Annual

I believe dresses are a bet more fem but wear skirts and tops also. A practical concern for me with skirts is that my cubic shape makes it tough to keep a skirt on my hips and has led to some embarrassing incidents. On one occasion my girlfriend was driving in stop and go traffic. Others stopped. She went. Car wrecked on interstate in rush hour. The law and wrecker arrived about the same time and as I was being questioned by both, surrounded by gawking drivers passing slowly through the mess my skirt slipped to the pavement. I’m sure I made enjoyable 6 o’clock news for the eye in the sky. I have lost half slips in similar fashion while wearing a dress, but I find losing a skirt is more embarrassing than losing a slip so lean toward dresses, possibly with a full slip, when feeling a need to minimize such risks.

My shape is pretty straight too.  With my belly, my waist and hips are the same size, allowing me to put on/take off my male pants without having to work the button.

I usually solve such a problem by buying elastic waist A-line skirts in one to two sizes smaller.  Because of the A-line, it still fits my hips.  And the smaller size means the elastic is tighter around my waist and much less likely to slip.

Anonymous

Oh my ! You poor gal ! I would have been mortified!

Something long and pleated, hanging heavy over a lace edged,scalopped half slip with a white blouse,,,

Flower
      Princess

I like both skits and dresses

Skirts here.  Being able to mix and match tops/skirts you can have a huge combination of styles and come up with a new outfit almost daily.

With a skirt, I can make multiple outfit changes in a day quick and easy.

I do have some dresses, but I rarely wear them; the big reason is I can’t zip up/down the back without help.  So I’m basically “trapped” (ok not that it is a bad thing to be trapped in a lovely dress) until someone can unzip me.

Karen Spudet
        Baroness

I have learned a trick to zippers. Take a paper clip attach a string long  enough to pull over the shoulder.  Feed the clip through the zipper with the string up. Once you pull it up then you should be able to remove the clip or just tuck it under the back of the dress. You may be able to tuck the string under the shoulder and tuck it in to the bra strap.

Hugs Karen

Whoops! Sorry, I saw your post with the same solution right after I sent mine. Best, Marlene.

I use a safety pin and a longish piece of string to pull up the zip then remove the pin. Best, Marlene.

Nothing against skirts, as a matter of fact, I like them a lot. The problem I have is with the tops. I have like genuinely one or two tops that I enjoy cycling through and I hate shopping for more. They always look like guy tops or just plain and uninteresting. Never been big on repetitive prints or graphic prints on a tshirt (which is funny cause that’s literally my job). A dress on the other hand always seems to aim to have a feminine cut  to the sleeves or neckline.

As a result I like skirts, but my top selection is so droll that I always default to dresses, lol

Anonymous

I agree on dresses! Besides you don’t have to worry about the ‘tuck’

I feel like you’ve explained my rationale as well here. My wardrobe is probably 3:1 dresses to skirts. I like wearing skirts and keep telling myself I should wear them more often, but feel like I have to work much harder putting the look together. Also a dress can be so easy regardless of the activity, a house dress to stay in, or a quick maxi and a jacket to go out and I’m ready. So actually comes down to being a lazy girl I guess 💁‍♀️😝

Heather

That is exactly how I would have said it Jenny. I was thinking how to say that and then you did for me. Thanks.

I have dozens of skirts, but only a dozen or so dresses. My wife commented on the weekend that I “might have a skirt problem”, as I added another 4 to my collection. I also added 2 dresses…. Very nice dresses, I must add. I do like to wear a dress, but I seem to keep them for special occasions. Those occasions where you just want to wear something different, or perhaps put a bit more effort in. I always feel “special” in a dress. My every day wear is skirt and top. .

Cerys.

I said skirts because there are no issues with getting them zipped up unlike dresses where you sometimes have to contort yourself to get them zipped. Plus you can twirl a skirt😊

Then there’s that zipper at the back of, or to the side, of a skirt.

While skirts and tops are certainly more versatile, a stylish well-fitting dress is always my preference.

And who doesn’t love that magic moment when you finally get that zipper past the unreachable zone and snugly up to the top?

I love dresses but it’s always a crapshoot on sizing. The right fitting dress is hard to beat though.

Skirts are also a favorite but as many ladies have said, figuring out a top is where it gets tricky sometimes. I have several skirts that I cycle through but only a couple tops that I really like.

-Chloé

Skirts: there’s always the option of a white or cream blouse, which can hint  at something undeneath…

You build a skirt, it’s not just something you slip over your shouders  You have to consider length, above or below the knee – a slip, how scalloped?  Then we get to the blouse… Oh,dear!

I voted skirts, et al., and here I am in a dress…

Well, a girl can change her mind, right?  #wink

I prefer a dress but only if I am going to a place where other women are wearing them like dinners out or a party. I also like summer cotton dresses in warm climate. Nevertheless I find myself in skirts and blouses a lot for just running about a normal day like grocery shopping as I like to blend in more and not stand out

I didn’t vote, but i love both skirts and dresses

Hum…, for me that’s like asking, “Do you prefer a lobster or a ribeye steak… Yum! Either floats MY boat, especially if there is a breeze to ruffle the hem, um, and maybe even lift it up a little…😇
      But seriously, for a casual out & about skirt and top works best for me. We’re as a dress would be for a more formal occasion.
      Hugs
      Jules
      🥰🌈👩

I’ve always preferred dresses and that’s how I voted. However after I found my size and bought my first pencil skirt, I love wearing skirts just as much.

I have 15 dresses and 22 skirts in my wardrobe.

Dresses for sure! Dresses are my favorite piece of clothing, period. I work in a clothing store, and I’ve lost count of the number of dresses I have, lol. I love dresses with a floral pattern, as well as dresses with a swing on the bottom, because I think they’re fun to wear. I love dresses, and would honestly love to make my own line of dresses one day. I’m so happy when I wear dresses, I love them! <3

Love dresses too. the fuller the dress, the lighter the dress,and floral oh my god

What a great question!! I loved reading through all the responses!

Although, I love a cute skirt and sweater outfit, I had to go with dresses. Based that on always going to the dress rack first! And, more often than not, it is a dress that gets pulled out first. Nothing better than the feel of a dress!! And so many choices!!

Skirts and tops for Requal.   One can change and mix and match tops with skirts to make a new look with a minimum number of skirts and tops.

Anonymous

I have dresses and skirts and tops in my wardrobe.  I like both types of outfits.  Skirts and tops are more versatile.  Dresses are better for formal occasions.  However, since dresses can cover a wider range of style, from casual to formal, I will choose my dresses if I have to choose only one type of outfit.

Patty Phose
      Duchess

I love dresses. Wear them most of the time. I do have several skirts and tops I enjoy also, for a change and different look. And of course, I’ll always love my short shorts.

In summation. I prefer dresses 9 times out of 10. The rest of the time, wear different things and have fun.

In reality, I like both skirts and dresses but voted for skirts as they are what I wear more of as a practical thing.

I can wear a skirt, tights and heels on the bottom half matched with a gender neutral top and no-one on a video call is any the wiser!

-A.

Anonymous

I don’t own either. And my wife doesn’t wear dresses, only has a few, and has horrible taste. 😂  Same for her skirts.

She does own several ball gowns that I have tried to fit into, but can’t zip up due to my chest size and broader shoulders. I would really like to see how I look in one, though 😍.

So I’m stuck with skinny jeans or leggings and blouses.  Which I like, luckily. 😉

MelanieElizabeth
      Ambassador

Great topic Allison. Personally I prefer skirts over dresses it allows me to mix and match sizes. Most dresses don’t fit my body well. Too loose on the bottom yet tight on top(wide shoulders and no butt). Separates also have such versatility a different top paired with a new pair of pumps can make a standard black skirt look brand new! Ty for a fun topic allison!

Since I am a plus sized gal I have to go with the dresses option. Tank or bodycon dresses help hide the shapewear underneath and I can wear them plain as is or dress them up with a top of my choosing. And similar to skirts dresses have different lengths for however much leg you are wanting to show off 😉

I think I like dresses more, but I look better in a skirt/blouse combo. Since my body shape doesn’t match what most dresses are designed for, being able to break up the sizes/shapes/profile with a skirt and blouse combo works best.

s.

I love dresses, but with my body I am more comfortable with skirt and top, different sizes help.

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?