This topic contains 15 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Anne Preuss 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

stephanie plumb
    Participant
    Registered On: November 17, 2018
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 474

Been thinking about wigs. Until now I have only bought synthetic wigs from Amazon, most of which are made from Japanese Kanekalon fibres. Apparently the quality of synthetic fibres has come on by leaps and bounds in the last few years. And I must say for a “part-timer” like me who will never try to pass close up, in for example, a shop or bar, I find the quality of the mid priced wigs generally very good.

I have just discovered the world of lace-front and full-lace wigs, that offer a more realistic looking wig. Some of these are synthetic and some are made from Human hair.

Human hair.  I feel uneasy about wearing someone else hair, maybe even slightly queasy.  There’s something creepy about it.  Where does it come from?  According to an article in Cosmopolitan it mostly comes from India and China. On amazon much of it comes from Brazil and marketed as “virgin human hair.”  In the far east some of it is gathered from temples where religious people have their heads shaved.  But this is only a small percentage. Where the rest comes from nobody seems to know.  It is a multi-million pound big business.  There have been reported cases of gangs cutting off peoples hair.  A woman from the states was paid $1500.00 for her blonde hair that went to make a wig that sold for $8,000.  The thought came to me that perhaps women and young girls from poor countries are having their hair “harvested.”   Horrible thought.  Even worse –  is it possible that hair might be reclaimed from corpses! Far fetched? Who know?  Its big business. Gangs are involved. Hair poachers?

Go ask the Elephants and Snow Tigers what Humans are capable of.

Cosmopolitan found evidence that piles of bloody human hair, and scalps ,covered with lice, are recovered from the Temple floors and stored in damp mouldy sheds until sold to the wig trade.

Hopefully the recent advances in technology will cut into this market as the quality improves.

So. I won’t be buying any human hair wigs.  What about you?

Stephanie P.

4 users thanked author for this post.
  • Author
    Replies
     karley delaware 
    Participant
    Registered On: October 23, 2017
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 197

I’m a low budget girl and have been using wigs for Halloween  LOL.  They are long to mid back with  purple highlights.  SO wants me to grow a pony tail and I am secretly DELIGHTED to comply. So far my real hair is some four inches below my shoulders and love the feel of it on my back.  Still wear the wigs because they are longer and feel and look more girly with that on.

karley delaware

Anne Preuss 
      Participant
      Registered On: December 13, 2018
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 331

So jelly of you that you can grow your hair out like that.  I gave it a try a couple years ago when I retired, but it was coming out like a mullet.  My wife hated what was happening so I went back to keeping it relatively short.  I envy the ladies on here who can naturally grow out their hair and style it.

Bobbi 
    Participant
    Registered On: September 13, 2018
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 580

I don’t wear wigs. I keep mine in a short bob, or a pixie.
    it’s more fun for the guy if he can see what’s going on, down there!
    (if you know what I mean). 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
       Anne Preuss 
      Participant

Wish I wasn’t thinning on top so I could stay au natural….lucky you Bobbi.   But I do like how I look in my grey tomboy synthetic wig.

Laura Lovett 
    Participant
    Registered On: November 18, 2018
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 411

Synthetic only for me.

Maybe when I fully get the makeup right I’ll consider more realistic hair, but right now I look like a man in makeup.

Quite pretty (my wife kindly tells me), but I haven’t quite got the hang of contouring to hide my masculine profile.

The amount of work women do should not be underestimated!

Love Laura

michaela jane 
    Participant
    Registered On: December 9, 2016
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 100

I agree with your creepiness thoughts, I only have one wig and that is synthetic. I bought that for the price, human hair was out of my price range. I think it looks ok and I have worn it for a 13 hour period without any problems.

Sandy Craig 
    Participant
    Registered On: March 18, 2018
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 103

I have 1 human hair wig which is very nice but don’t think it fits my style so I’ve only worn it a few times. I’m 100% satisfied with my synthetic wigs and future purchases will almost certainly be synthetic.

Sandy

Anonymous
    Registered On:
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 523

I’ve often searched for human hair wigs………….bottom line………………..TOO expensive !!!  I also go for mixed and don’t know if true or not……….I buy Rene of Paris, a couple from Vegas Girls, Noriko……………always better to get the best you can afford…………cheap is just plain cheap…………and lace front is the go to detail…………

Mikki

Krista 
    Participant
    Registered On: January 24, 2017
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 57

After reading those comments about human hair wigs, I am so happy I don’t have a need for a wig.  My natural hair is very long, reaching down to my bra strap.  Not bad for someone turning 65 in a few months.

Before retirement when I had to have short hair for work, I did purchase a good quality synthetic wig and although pricey I felt it was worth the investment. I still have it and who knows I may need it again some day (fingers crossed hopefully not any time soon).

Hugs, Krista

Camryn Occasionnel 
    Participant
    Registered On: December 10, 2018
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 209

My goodness, Stephanie, I was all set to go into this topic to say that although I don’t have any human hair wigs, if money were no object, I would own a dozen! But then I read what you had to say, and what Dame Veronica said, and, well, now I won’t be buying one at any price.

Dame Veronica Graunwolf 
    Participant
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 49
    Replies: 1909

Hi Ladies. I have 3 synthetic and 2 human hair wigs. The human hair ones are about medium to short length. Real hair, obviously is quite costly especially in longer cuts.

Girls…..I spent 4 years in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. Starvation is so prevelant that yes……they sell their hair….especially if it is long. I was offered grandmothers and babies to buy for BOOM BOOM. I don’t know how many of you are aware of Cambodias Kymer Rouge of “The Killing Fields”. I was there….I saw things that made me sick to my stomach and have nightmares to this day. The talley is around 2-3 million people murdered and buried in huge pits. There are still pits being unearthed to-day. They all had no-hair, no gold teeth, no eyeglasses. The KR worshipped Mengle and Hitler. S.E Asia is a hell hole…..when it comes to human hair wigs…..I don’t buy them from there. This is all I will say about what goes on over there……if you wish to know more….contact me directly….I may or may not answer some questions….I just can’t. I spent time with Air America and the Company and may God seek justice upon us for what we do.

Dame Veronica

2 users thanked author for this post.
       Anne Preuss 
      Participant

Hi Dame Veronica,

Are your two human hair wigs purchased from a local shop?  Or were they bought from someone reputable online?  You are very conscious of human suffering and perhaps have insight as to whom to buy a hh wig that is fair to the people that grow their hair for this and the other wig workers.  Sort of like fair trade coffee only fair trade wigs.  I’m really serious about this, not trying to appear silly.

Anonymous
      Registered On:
      Topics: 20
      Replies: 523

Thank you for your service………..it’s good you can talk about it…………many can’t………….where’d you take your R&R ?    Subic ?  Angeles ?  Manila ?  Japan ?    In Country ?

Mikki

Marianne 
    Ambassador
    Registered On: May 20, 2017
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 358

I have about half a dozen wigs, two of which are human hair. Most I have bought second hand on the Swedish equivalent to eBay. Here in Sweden it seems that many former cancer patients sell their high quality wigs at bargain prices after treatment.

The human hair really is better looking and much more versatile in that you can treat it as your own.

I am aware that alot of hair originates from people selling it for much needed money,  but on the other hand a friend’s 10 year old daughter decided to donate her waist long hair for cancer research. As for the price increasing heavily from producer to end user, so do most products. The Swedish farmers get about 20 cents per litre for milk while it cost $1.30 in the supermarket.

Marianne

2 users thanked author for this post.
     Imogen Mann 
    Participant
    Registered On: March 2, 2019
    Replies: 136

It doesn’t bother me, there’s unethical practice in every industry and I like the way my human hair wigs look and feel more natural, so when I’m on the position to buy, I do pay a little extra and go for human hair for my ‘night out’ wigs. The human hair wigs style more easily too, and last longer without frazzling at the ends from over brushing.

Be warned though, there’s a lot of fake advertising out there and I’ve paid top dollar for human hair before now and received joke-shop quality nylon wig before now. Luckily it was from a service where refunds were third party (think amazon/ebay type thing) so I got the money back but not the time.

I buy from a ‘walk in’ retailer now, and can usually spot a fake easily enough.

For staying / bedtime / housework I do have two synthetic wigs that are pretty good quality and with the lights out he’ll never notice (wink wink).

I will be buying a lace front wig next time I am shopping… I hope the’re as good as people have said ?

Imogen x

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account