Viewing 41 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi girls
      I may not be the best musician but I cannot live without music in my life. I started playing an acoustic guitar when I was at college back in the late 1970s. I no have an electro-acoustic, 3 electric guitars and bass. Since moving to France I have played in a few amateur bands, playing guitar, bass and singing.

I have written songs over the past 40 years. Since living my life more as Sophie, my emotional state has changed a great deal and my sensitivity has increased. Last year I wrote and record a few songs at my home. This year I appear to have entered into an amazingly creative phase and so far have five songs recorded in basic form for rerecording and better production. Lyrics seam to arrive out of nowhere  and I feel that I have written some of the most emotional and best songs to date.

I have quite a few musician friends here and one particular French guitarist who I have a great amount of respect for has offered to help me in recording some of my new songs and play some beautiful guitar too.

I am not sure if I can post any of the songs here or any links, but will check to see if that is possible.

However, I have some songs on the Reverbnation site under the name of Cat Belly if anyone is curious enough to listen to them. I also set a couple of the new songs up as videos on YouTube (not exciting to watch as just artwork I created for a cover) and also under the name of Cat Belly

Music is powerful in all walks of life and like you i could not be without it. I play ukulele and banjo and sing in two choirs. Keep up the amazing work and good luck for your 100% sophie.

I don’t play an instrument myself, but I do love music. My tastes range from rock, folk, classical and blues. I wish you all the very best of luck.

Anonymous

Hi Sophie, I’ve been a long time guitar player, but not very much in the last several years.  I might pull it out every so often and play a little, but as you know, it doesn’t take long for the fingertips to get sore.  I’ve also played and sang a lot when I was younger.  Ancient years ago, it seems, I was in a small band playing bass.  I love beautiful music.  Everything from Classical, Baroque, Celtic, Bluegrass, Lite Rock, 60’s – 70’s pop, etc.  There are a lot of songs that can bring me to tears.

Anonymous

Thanks for your comment Mira. I have always found music a very soulful thing in life. But lately it evokes such powerful emotions in me. Crying has become very much a part of me. I have begun to come to terms with that and overall happy that it happens. I have changed so much in many ways in the past year, but emotionally more than anything else just now. Although my breasts are beginning to come close to overshadowing that. I will never loose my desire to be Sophie or to love music and it’s magical powers
        Lots of love to you sweetheart
        Sophie xxx

andrea
      Lady

Hi Sophie

I play every weekend in a classic rock band. I love it when on stage gives me a great buzz

Anonymous

Andrea, that is great. I kinda of miss playing gigs, but looks like I have 2 set up for this summer – yaaay!

Marianne
      Ambassador

Hello Sophie,

I play a little piano and have been singing in several amateur choirs.  Occasionally i compose a tune and sometimes also lyrics (in Swedish) to go with it. I’ve recenyly translated and posted the lyrics to one song of mine in Poet’s Corner here at CDH since it was strongly influenced by cd/tg feelings.

Marianne

Anonymous

Marianne, that sounds interesting, I will look for you post xx

I still dabble with the saxophone and the clarinet, though my life lately has not left much time.

skippy1965 Cynthia
      Ambassador

I used to sing in church choir and being of an age where i grew up without media devices in cars, my family sang the old folk songs and even the USAF drinking songs. I love to sing especially trying to do harmony parts. My most favorite recent group is the acapella group Straight No Chaser. I’ll try to check out your stuff on youtube and please keep sharing your lyrics with us!
      Cyn

Anonymous

Cyn I would love to hear you sing. Thank you for the request to share my lyrics. As soon as I get a moment I will post some more xx

I play guitar in a band. I was thinking of recording a guitar solo dressed up.

Anonymous

Kandy, I see why you shouldn’t. I am hoping that I may reach a level confidence in who I am very soon to be able to play a set at a restaurant before too long. Life is too short and not waiting for anyone but ourselves to go forward xx

Anonymous
      1. I play drums professionally and have been playing for over 40 years! Let’s get a band together, ladies!
        Anonymous

Brittany, that would be so cool

I wish we could, I am sure that it would be so much fun!!!

I played bass and keyboards in a band years ago. Miss those days. It would kind of fun now to do a girl band!!!!!!!

I’m a singer/songwriter and play acoustic guitar and harmonica. I play some gigs in local restaurants and am working towards recording my songs. I think it’s fantastic that you’re in such a creative phase Sophie! Congratulations and thanks for sharing this.

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I have recently started drumming.</p>
      More for stress and anxiety management than aspirations of being in a band. 💋

I just listened to your music on reverbNation.  I really liked it.  Your voice sounds a little like Roger Waters I think.  Songwriting is a great way to express yourself.  I started taking songwriting lessons at Old Town School of Folk Music a few years ago, and I have written a couple hundred songs and done a few shows myself.  I play trumpet, guitar, and piano also.  Music is just one of those things that once it gets into you, it won’t let go.  I look forward to hearing your new songs.

I used to sing french songs, when I was dog-sledding, to my team.  They would always stop running, look at me, then start howling. They can’t howl and run at the same time so that was that. Most of them were quite off key…..sigh!

Lady Veronica.

Jennifer
      Lady

Well, actually I love composing. My style is mostly symphonic with some modern instruments as well … typical of what you would hear in a modern movie soundtrack. I’ve played piano since 3rd grade, but it’s the composing I love. Besides CDing, it’s my other creative outlet. I have a few albums out on CDBaby, iTunes, etc… It’s more than a hobby, as I’m looking to grow it into a sustainable business.

For anyone who wants to collaborate on something or needs help with orchestration, please let me know. If you’re interested in taking a listen, let me know and I will share my info (I didn’t want to shamelessly plug my music unsolicited).

Jen

Anonymous

I play the blues harmonica. I like to cover lots of blues and folk stuff.

Anonymous

I have played the drums for almost fifty years. I also play a little acoustic guitar and harmonica and sing. Music has always been my main release with CD a close second.

Though I’m not playing these days, I played at guitar from back in the sixties. If I worked at it every day, I could get fairly decent at lead guitar. In the early 2000’s I was hand building vacuum guitar amps as well as stomp boxes. I need to sell some of my guitars. It’s criminal for some really nice instruments to go untouched for so long.

Michelle
      Lady

I play guitar and bass. I’ve collected many instruments over the years, I’ve even bought a Theremin that I really want to learn to play. I’ve played in a few bands and in church.

So cool Michelle. I’ve actually built a Theremin. Used to run it through a distortion device and pushed out some monster tones. I recently photographed the great Angelo Moore of Fishbone at a club in SF. He also uses the Theremin and I’ll tell you what. I’ve never seen anyone come close to the funk that man hits with that. 🙂

Michelle
          Lady

A few years back I built an optical theremin, and arduino based theremin. I even built a nice on on a bread board but did realize till a few years later that I needed to hook it up to an Earth ground for it to work properly, so I opted to buy a Moog. I’ve run it though a few Boss peddles, I like the digital delay the best but been wanting to run it through my new chorus peddle. And of course distortion is always fun. I’m wanting to but the boss octave peddle and run it through it as well

Jessica
      Lady

I play guitar (acoustic & electric), bass, mandolin, a little piano and write a lot. I used to play out way more than I do now. I also have 4 albums out (one isn’t published anymore), and been a hired gun for something like 6 other albums. I have been on tour in Nova Scotia, did some house concerts in Texas, and played all over Minnesota, Wisconsin, & Iowa. I think music has been a saving grace for me in various different points in my life. I am grateful for it.

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

Broken down old rhythm guitar rocker here. Hank Marvin of the Shadows is my Guitar God.

Nothing professional had a wife two kids and was one half of a busy family business. So never enough time to do any better

Have often wondered if anyone has played as their “femme selves” and how did it all go down?

Caty

Mitzi May
      Lady

I am a budding guitarist. I’ve been taking lessons and improving slowly over the last two years. I don’t have a lot of time to practice, so my progress has been slow. But I do truly enjoy it.

I’m currently playing an Ibanez classical and a Mitchell steel-string acoustic.

I finally got some basic guitar proficiency, even CALLUSES, to try and keep a little folk music hobby going with my friends.  Then life happened again.  I’ve messed with fife and taken lessons for flute.  A couple of years ago, I was in the Seed and Feed Marching Abominable flute section.  Way back in college, I learned a little highland piping, but never replaced them when them when they died.  So it goes. Trying to replace my strings and get back on guitar.

Anonymous

All of the above!

I had piano lessons from age 6 and was drafted into the church choir.

Taught myself guitar and bass and gigged with a number of bands, enjoying the rock and roll lifestyle.

Read for a degree in music and computer studies after realising I wasn’t going to get rich quickly.

Been in several song writing collaborations, bands and choirs since, purely for enjoyment – although I had a fantastic time in a semi-pro Black Sabbath tribute band as Tony Iommi (without the moustache or hair…)!

If anyone wants to collaborate, I’d love that – my musical tastes go across the board – if it sounds good, I like it. Genres don’t interest me – it’s all about the music :0)

I have a few original tunes on YouTube, but, due to the diversity of my tastes, they’re not representative of anything except what I felt like writing at that time.

Michelle
        Lady

Black Sabbath is one of my favorite bands, I can play some of the songs. Mostly the rhythm part, on both bass and guitar. I’d love to hear some of your OG stuff

Anonymous

Here’s the first song I wrote as part of a collaboration with a guy at work, which lasted around 7 years and resulted in about 80 songs.

I particularly like this one. The lyrics are so simple they could have been written in 5 minutes by anyone. Hint. They did take 5 minutes! But, to me, they have real personal depth, and the music just evolved around the words. Atmospheric and quite unlike anything either of us had written before or since.

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=pu2y7tY1ncI&feature=share

• I sing, I front a band.  We dont gig or anything we just have fun

[quote quote=55291]Hi girls

I may not be the best musician but I cannot live without music in my life. I started playing an acoustic guitar when I was at college back in the late 1970s. I no have an electro-acoustic, 3 electric guitars and bass. Since moving to France I have played in a few amateur bands, playing guitar, bass and singing.

I have written songs over the past 40 years. Since living my life more as Sophie, my emotional state has changed a great deal and my sensitivity has increased. Last year I wrote and record a few songs at my home. This year I appear to have entered into an amazingly creative phase and so far have five songs recorded in basic form for rerecording and better production. Lyrics seam to arrive out of nowhere and I feel that I have written some of the most emotional and best songs to date.

I have quite a few musician friends here and one particular French guitarist who I have a great amount of respect for has offered to help me in recording some of my new songs and play some beautiful guitar too.

I am not sure if I can post any of the songs here or any links, but will check to see if that is possible.

However, I have some songs on the Reverbnation site under the name of Cat Belly if anyone is curious enough to listen to them. I also set a couple of the new songs up as videos on YouTube (not exciting to watch as just artwork I created for a cover) and also under the name of Cat Belly

[/quote]
      I can totally understand where youare coming from when you say that you can’t live without music in your life. For me its just an ‘I wish’ as I’m totally without any musical talent thoug I do adore music.

I’ll be sure to check out your songs on youtube though.

Thanks for your post.

Take good care

Anne-Marie

Thank you for sharing Sophie and opening up a very interesting topic – I suspect (based on my own arbitrarily made-up statistics) that the CD/trans community is ahead of the curve as far as musicians or really artists in general go, due to our enhanced connection with the traditionally feminine right-brained way of thinking.

Anyway, psychological pseudoscience aside, I’ve been a musician since grade school and songwriter since middle school.  Though I started on piano I (regretfully) didn’t keep up with it, favoring the guitar as the most badass of instruments (remember I was a tween at the time 😉 )

Currently I play both acoustic and electric guitars, bass, bass vi (if you don’t know what this is, google it or really just watch anything with Robert Smith, very fun instrument), banjo, djembe, a little keys and cedar flute, harmonica… there’s probably more I’m forgetting lol but work calls.

Stylistically I run the spectrum though I can’t play jazz or classical well.  I gravitate more toward alt-country/southern rock/alt-punk.

Cheers! -Val

Jessica
      Lady

I’m a musician who has played out for many years, been on tour a bit, released several albums and still has a great time playing and writing. I have to say I have had a bit of a hard time writing about my cd/trans experiences. Everything I write comes out like journal entry.  Have any of you ladies had the same experiences?

Jim Ferro
      Lady

Hello ladies! For the past eight months or so I’ve been trying to teach myself guitar but is very frustrating for me because I don’t understand music at all. I’m ok at basic chords right now, still a long way to go with that even but because of my lack of understanding how everything works together I be come very frustrated.

I also don’t know how to read music. Anyone have any recommendations or links that can help me understand the theory behind music. Without knowing exactly what it is I should be looking for it’s hard to sort through all that google has to offer. I’m also not opposed to paying but then again want to make sure it’s going to be worth the money I pay if that makes sense.

Anyway thanks for reading!

Anonymous

I’ve been a musician for fifty years (well, I have played the drums that long anyway 😁), played in high school band, studied music in college (minored) and took piano lessons for a few years at that time (can’t really play piano still). After I divorced seventeen years ago I decided to learn the acoustic guitar. Got a chord chart and learned a few basic chords (which is what I assume you’re doing?) and then found some tabs online.

Even though I do have some background, I’m not sure it’s really all that necessary to study the the theory of music to play acoustic guitar. With today’s YouTube resources and guitar tab sites, etc. I would recommend just getting to where you can strum through a few tunes reasonably proficiently. Listen to the strum pattern along with the chord progression and you will get the feel of it with some practice and patience. I know it’s frustrating – been there! But it’s ultimately really rewarding when you can finally get to the point where you play something that’s actually recognizable as a song. You may be surprised at how many songs you can play if you just know a dozen or so chords fairly well and can learn those chord progressions and strum patterns. Of course you can always find a good guitar instructor and take lessons, but having tried that for a while I found it less frustrating just being myself and learning on my own. Anyway, it took me close to a year or so before I got to the point that I felt like I was playing anything halfway decent, and as I said, I actually had some musical background and training!

I promise that practice and patience, along with discovering good resources online (watching someone else play) will do wonders and pay off eventually!

Good luck!

Tricia Lynn

Jim Ferro
          Lady

[postquote quote=361259]
          Thank you for that, yes it is frustrating…very. That’s what I’ve been doing so far, YouTube, internet etc., it’s just nice to be able to ask questions sometimes if I do t understand something even though the answer is right in front of me .

Also, not understanding music at all sometimes I tend to over think it and that’s where the frustration comes from for the most part. Part of my problem is I also tend to jump around when frustration sets in and jump to something that’s way beyond what I should be practicing instead of just staying the course.

Private lessons are kind of out of the question as I live in the middle of no where and it would be a 2 hour round trip to the nearest town that would have someone that gives lessons.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. Guess I’ll keep plugging along. I guess when my dog quits howling while practicing I’ll know I’m getting something right:)

Learning to read music can add to your enjoyment of playing guitar. You can pick out the tune to anything if you know how. Forget having to know a song before you can sing it. I like How To Read Sheet Music (http://readsheetmusic.info/basics_of_counting_rhythms.shtml). Just take it slowly. You’re learning to read hieroglyphics here, not a new language. The pages are deceptively short. Each one should take you quite a while to master. Don’t move on until you know the last one cold.

Cece X
      Lady

Thanks for asking. I never spent a lot of time playing musical instruments because I prefer being an avid audience for others. During this isolation era, I have been trying new pastimes and among them I have been writing lyrics and music on software, not for anyone else to listen to it, but just for the rush of creating. I recommend that hobby to music lovers who are generally non-musicians. There are several free and safe software programs available; one might be on your computer already as part of your bundle. Making music with samples and loops is quick, easy and fun.

Anonymous

I’m so sad that this poster is now inactive! I have experienced exactly the same thing – the more comfortable I get with my femme side, the more creativity seems to flow. I’ve got a whole batch of recordings I’m about to unleash on an unsuspecting world!

Lexi

Me, me, meeee….

I’ve had various forms of “instrument” training all my life. There was the short bout of piano lessons from age 8 to 10. I still can’t play much on piano, LOL! We already had music classes in school (anyone remember the Recorder! That good old plastic “woodwind”) and in 5th grade, one of our music teachers took on a full “happy birthday America” type of singing review. With a bunch of 4th and 5th graders! She taught us the basics of singing in a choir and we had a couple of musical performance numbers. I had a lead performance where I strutted out on stage to Yankee Doddle Boy for a semi-dance number, complete with the girls in epic dresses and big hats! Look for Yankee Doodle Dandy Jimmy Cagney on YouTube for a sense of what our music teacher was going for… we were somewhat close to this is guess, LOL

In middle school, around age 11, I signed up for guitar as my elective class and promptly failed (big F). after hearing of my previous “forays into theater”, the guitar teacher recommended that I switch from her guitar class to her Show Choir and I did, for 6th and 7th grade. No dance numbers for me in show choir but lots more vocal training with more current music at the time.

My initial failure with the guitar didn’t last and I self taught myself guitar starting at age 15. Mostly electric guitar focused on learning current rock music (this was the 80s). Sadly I haven’t sung since middle school. When voice changes occur you really have to retrain a bit and I didn’t. I’ve played guitar ever since though – a little over 30 years. I took up studio recording and production as a hobby in high school and did okay with music sequencers, drum machines, etc. – but nothing big. Somewhere I have reels and reels of studio music I’ve written  and produced; but nothing very polished – at least not to me. The biggest recording accomplishment was a baroque waltz I wrote for classical guitar and recorded it to be played for the first dance at my wedding. The production value was just okay; but wife did love it! I still play that one from time to time.

I grew up singing and I started playing clarinet at 9. I sing alright I guess. At least, when I went to solo voice competition my Junior year of high school I scored a 92 (yes, out of 100). I’m not too good as a composer but I do enjoy it. I sing 2nd tenor.

Elaine
      Duchess

I started playing ukulele and banjolele a couple years ago.  Easy to learn and easy to play.  Before the time of the virus I played three times a week in groups of 60 – 160.  All old retired folks so much of the music is dated from 50’s – 70’s when we were young.

Anonymous

If anyone is interested in my songwriting, I’ve uploaded my debut album to Soundcloud. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Lexi

I love to sing, but I have never done it professionally. My friends like it, but it’s not even a hobby ..

Jim Ferro
      Lady

[postquote quote=370515]
      Thank you!😘

Anonymous

Male me and Natasha ME can sing very well. I can play drums, synth drums, keyboards, accustic and electric guitars, flute and viola. I wrote a few songs. But nothing of it. Its more of a hobby. Wrote some great poems in high school. My english teacher loved them.

Hugs

Natasha 💋

I chose to pick up the Bass Guitar about a year and a half ago.  Its been wonderful.  Even though its playing along with Rocksmith,  but hey Im still further than people who dont.  😀

Anonymous

Do you play left or right handed? In other words, which hand slides across the neck?

Annaleigh

That would be my right hand. So I pluck with my left hand.  Im a very dominant Lefty.

🤘😝🎸

Anything from AC/DC to ZZ TOP, Metallica, Megadeth, Volbeat, Nightwish, Ozzy, etc.

Anonymous

I’m an oddball. Most of my stuff is right handed, but I’m much better on bass left handed. Plus I prefer the pick to plucking. Works better for my style of music.

Anonymous

I’m a bassist in a band and have written a few songs that will be on our first album. In fact, we’re debuing a new piece tomorrow that I wrote. Song is called “The Day The World Stopped Turning.” It’s about an old friend of mine who passed away last year unexpectedly. It has also been submitted to a few of my favorite groups, and one of them has reached out and agreed to my terms on its use! Those terms? 10% of profit from that song is to be sent to me, routed into an account separate from my own. Those funds will be a college fund for my friends only daughter.

Amy Myers
      Baroness

I play piano and violin, used to play flute, and a bit of clarinet. I have composed a few pieces, a couple of which I’ve performed publicly. I have written a few songs, but nothing that I think is very good, mostly I’m an instrumentalist and I write in a style similar to Claude Bebussy. A couple of his more famous pieces Claire de Lune and Arabesque I play often, so you could say it makes sense!

Piano is my main instrument, but am being hindered by arthritis in right hand lately so I have been going back to violin. I’ve played violin and piano since I was very young, I’m not the best musician, mainly because I’ve let too many other things get in the way of my music. To be really good, I think one needs that really self centred drive and not get be distracted by so many of the other things in our lives.

Composing doesn’t come easily, and it seems to come and go. At times I get tunes going through my head and I’m able to get them down, but other times they are lost in the ether, and many times I have no inspiration at all. But it always seem to come back around.

I have sometimes compared the need I have to make music to the need I have to dress up, both of which come from somewhere deep inside of me and I have been driven to do since I was very young.

Out of all of the grandchildren, my Grandmother gave my her piano when she had to sell her house, as she said I was the only one very interested in music, the others she said, just wanted to make noise, but I wanted to play and make music. I still have it, it is now over a 100 years old and a few years ago I had it restored and it now resides at my daughter’s place.

Amy

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?