Doing the laundry

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Bobbi 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bobbi
    Participant
    Registered On: September 13, 2018
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 163

How many of you girls are charged with the responsibility of doing the laundry?
    I’ll share my story. When I wash the clothes, I separate the delicates from everything.

One load will contain t-shirts, socks, jeans & such. Another load will contain towels, sheets & pillow cases.

FINALLY, the delicates: Bras, panties, slinky tops, dresses, etc.

The first load, I wash in warm water, in the normal cycle.

The second load I wash in HOT water, in the normal cycle.
    The delicates, I wash in COLD water in the (you guessed it!) DELICATE cycle.
    well, one fateful afternoon, I pulled the delicates out of the washer, & was horrified to find my favorite bra wrapped tightly around one of my full length satin nightgowns!

I was heartbroken, but I learned something that day! When I finished the laundry, I went to Marshall’s or TJMaxx (I don’t remember) & bought some ditty bags (mesh bags).

The next time I did the laundry (& every time since then), I put the bras in the ditty bag & washed as I normally did. I never had another bra disaster!

Oh, & girls, ALWAYS HANG YOUR BRAS ON THE SHOWER ROD TO DRY!!!!

Tip: if you use a pants hanger, you can hang three bras! Good luck, girls!

• Author
    Replies
     Bobbi 
    Participant

Sorry Caty, Everything  I’ve ever watched on the telly about Australia has had a snake in it!
    And every one of the vile critters was hiding out in the shed!  LOL
    I am both, mesmerized & terrified by snakes.
    Here in the states, you only see rattlesnakes in deep wooded areas or the desert.
    Some crazy people keep them as pets!
    Maybe, I need to stop watching the telly!  LOL
    If not for the snakes, the shed sounds like a lovely idea for the clothes.
    Thanks for indulging my silliness!  😀

Skyler 
    Participant
    Registered On: October 12, 2018
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 122

I’m regularly tasked with laundry duties because let’s face it, I’m the more organized and patient one in the relationship. I about lost my mind watching my bride to be do laundry lol. Hamper went down to the laundry room and EVERYTHING got dumped in the washer. Flipped to cool, and away it went on a normal wash cycle. AHHHHHH!  Thank god it wasn’t my hamper lol. And putting clothes away? You should see my side of the closet vs hers. Let’s just say organization is not a priority.

After the washing disaster I witnessed, I do the laundry from now on. One cycle is normal colors on cool, then a hot white load (T-shirt’s, socks, cami’s, tanks), I always wash jeans and denim separate on a cold cycle, then cool darks, then delicates. Delicates always hang dry, and our sweater dresses and sweaters lay flat to dry. I fashioned a couple of drying racks for them out of some window screen from menards and pvc pipe. Easiest DIY project and no more issues drying wool sweaters and risking any shrinking in a dryer or stretching when hang drying. And as far as the ditty bags? Every girl should be using these. Absolute lifesaver

Caty Ryan 
    Participant
    Registered On: August 27, 2017
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 128

Bobbi,

I fear we are “slithering” off topic here. Pray tell wot’s the difference between an Aussie Brown snake and the “rattlers” and eath adders you have in your part of the world.??

Besides. My shed is in a suburban back yard and even tho we have a huge bush parkland on the other side of our street the only wildlife we see in there are big mobs of kangaroos.

The closest I get to seeing snakes is some bright spark over our back fence has put a really dead black snake on his TV aerial. Now since I nearly got bitten by one of the “tiger “variety out here about 30 years ago, I have to sit in a different spot in my backyard so I dont see it!!

We lived in rural Victoria on an acre block with 600 acres of bush behind us for nearly ten years and only saw two snakes in that time.

Oh and I “bought my laundry in” before when my beloved went out. The 70″F “drying room” had it lovely and warm.

Back on topic at last…

Caty

1 user thanked author for this post.
     Bobbi 
    Participant

Caty, There’s NO  WAY I would walk into a shed in Australia!
    Those snakes you got there would kill me before I hit the floor!
    I hear, those Brown snakes are everywhere!  🙁

Caty Ryan 
    Participant

Just a brief additiion

DRYING: Well therein lies a problem, that luckily for me is solved by having pegless clothes lines in the small garden shed at the back of our house.

Not only are my “smalls” not visible to my beloved, but warm Australian spring days make the shed a great “drying room”. LOL

When we lived in the “sticks” I had a much larger shed with a “Man Cave” wood heater, pool table, fridge, bar etc. etc. (AKA “The Sheduior” where Caty used to dress)

I once spread my “intimates” out on  a pool cue in front of the wood heater and titled a post I did “Drying my unmentionables on cue”  LOL (Again)

There’s another move in our future and no Shed. So laundry will be done at home and then taken wet to my off site/office/storage unit and placed on a drying rack. Lock it up, come back 24 hrs later to dry clothes.

Lots of fiddling around, but given the attitude of my beloved to Caty, no choice.

Happy washing!!

Caty

Jennifer Love 
    Participant
    Registered On: October 11, 2018
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 71

Unfortunately I do not have a washer or dryer.  I take my drabs down to a local laundry where they have a service where they will wash, dry and fold my things.  I can’t really take my girl things there so I had wash them at home and hang them to dry.  I have had problems when I  wash a delicate that bleeds color with the others, staining them.  Such a bummer, but I am careful now not to do so.

Bobbi 
    Participant

Olivia, that mesh bag makes all the difference in the world!
    (Especially with the bras!)  If you’ve ever had your favorite bra tangled around a sweater, you know this!  LOL

Olivia Livin 
    Participant
    Registered On: October 22, 2018
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 121

I was a bit ahead on the laundry learning curve. When my daughters were growing up I did most of it so any errors i did make were with their delicates not mine lol. I share the task now and actually explained to my SO about sorting and the mesh delicates bag.

Caty Ryan 
    Participant

Thanks ladies,

I forgot to add the response tag. Will do this time and another (main) reason for the hand wash is putting the machine on is difficult in terms of leaving “evidence” around, remember my SO does not approve of Caty)> So I can clean up the laundry sink easier than the machine. At least “thats my story etc etc”

Caty

Bobbi 
    Participant

Caty, when I bring a skirts, dresses, or blouses to the cleaners, & they raise an eyebrow, I would simply ask “Is there a problem?”
    I can go anywhere I want, I don’t have to put up with some backwards thinking business person.
    Thankfully, I don’t have that problem. I live in the gayest neighborhood on the planet! LOL

I never look for trouble, but I’m no “shrinking violet” either. 🙂

Bobbi 
    Participant

@ Caty Ryan: Oh honey, I have no time for that! I don’t hand wash anything that I don’t have to! LOL The delicate cycle works fine for me. Nothing lasts forever, Cars, boyfriends, or clothes! When they wear out, you get new ones! 🙂

Caty Ryan 
    Participant

In terms of lingerie, sleepwear and outer wear such as blouses etc I hand wash everything. Dont want to run the risk of ruining any of my “lovelies”.

Dresses skirts etc, go to the dry cleaners and I dont even say “the wife asked me to bring these in”. None of their business, just “clean these for me, please”.

Which brings me to a previous post about how these days I wash everything quite frequently. Years gone by when I was “on the road” for work I neither had the time or facilities to wash Caty’s things. They would go from year to year sans a wash.

Now I cant help myself and have to wash “dirties” as soon as I can.

Anyone else in the same “laundry sink”??.

Caty

Bobbi 
    Participant

Thanks, Marci. You wouldn’t believe how many clueless boys I see in my laundry room, washing bras with jeans & towels. They just throw everything together!

I can just imagine them telling their girlfriend or wife “Honey, I washed the clothes!”, & she says “Oh gee, you didn’t have to do that!” (wondering what got destroyed in the wash).

Marci Free 
    Participant
    Registered On: September 23, 2018
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

All good advice Bobbi, I separate everything and my delicate s go into a little mesh bag before anything else. I like your tip about using a clothes hanger to dry the bras.

Michelle Liefde 
    Ambassador
    Registered On: May 27, 2018
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 412

Hi Bobbi,

We share the responsibility in our house, my wife knows and is accepting too, and those bags do make a difference!  My tights, slip and bras all go into a bag.  We take turns and I have learned a lot about washing delicates and separating like with like.  Glad to know that someone else has learned those lessons as well. -hugs, Michelle

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account