Viewing 55 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Jackie
      Ambassador

I’m curious, how many cross dresser’s believe doing drag is also okay to do? I have met many cross dresser’s who don’t think drag should be categorized as cross dressing. Several here at CDH. I’m super curious of how many actually believe that. Isn’t it all the same and stereotyped?

Rami Love
      Lady

Is crossdressing the same as drag? I supose it can be one in the same and it can be entirely different. I cannot speak for the drag queens, what they feel, for their motification. I can only speak for myself. If I ever summons the courage to go out in public dressed as a woman, I would not think it to be as a drag queen. Then again, I would have never though that I would be actively engaging in my femeninty one year ago. I suppose it would be a real hoot to be queen for a night, going out in drag looks like a lot of effort, but I suppose it could be an effort of love.

Anonymous

Drag seems to be more about doing performances ,Where crossdressing is more about  living a life that is more personal. Not saying one is better than the other just different.

Anonymous

If you take the wiki definition of crossdressing (“Cross-dressing is the act of wearing items of clothing and other accoutrements commonly associated with the opposite sex within a particular society”)  which is how I would define it, then of course drag is a form of crossdressing.  Some people do have their own personal definition of what a crossdresser is in which case they may compartmentalize us all into different factions.  (In fact the wide variation in how people define the various trans labels is quite fascinating, but let’s leave that for another time.)

From my outsider point of view the top drag artists are taking the (often ridiculous) stereotyped views that society has on what a woman should look and act like, and exaggerating them as part performance and part art form.  In many ways a lot of “non-drag” crossdressers are also copying these stereotypes to a lesser extent (and yes I’d include myself.)

Anonymous

By the way, the way the poll question is phrased could be seen as “is crossdressing the same as doing drag” where as the second sentence is “is drag a form of crossdressing”.   So from my viewpoint that will be no to the first, yes to the second.  This might also explain why there are a lot of  “no”s at the time of writing this.

skippy1965 Cynthia
        Ambassador

I think Jasmine hit the nail on the head. It’s similar to the difference between “all poodles are dogs” and “all dogs are poodles” (if you’ll pardon the comparison LOL). Clearly drag is ONE of the many versions of cross dressing as is dressing because you have gender dysphoria to the extent that you feel the need to transition socially or medically and/or only wish to dress in the privacy of your home alone or with a partner and/or you simply enjoy the feel and look of women’s clothes and want to exercise your fashion choices. None of these different variations are any “better” or “more or less acceptable “ than any other. As a former member once said on here years ago-“labels are for cans!” Let’s celebrate our diversity not only in the larger society but within the CD/TG community itself. There is enough rejection and hatred in the world at large without dividing ourselves! Just one girl’s humble opinion🙄
        Cyn

Anonymous

Yes, of course doing Drag is Crossdressing. However, i would suggest that Crossdressing is more psychological and goes deeper than the aesthetics and flamboyancy of doing Drag. This may be where Crossdressers disagree they are the same.

The Desire, urge and peace one gets in dressing is difficult to describe. These feelings and emotions can go back as far as some can remember in life. This could be a factor on the differences perhaps. X

Anonymous

I’ve answered no, and some of the ladies here have made the distinction.

The two aren’t the same thing, but drag is, quite obviously, a form of cross dressing.

The way I see it, drag is a kind of parody – there’s nothing wrong with it at all, in fact, it’s great fun!

I took my wife for a birthday getaway to a Crazy Bear hotel and dressed in a very shiny, slinky purple outfit with feather boas and extreme makeup.

All the clothes I chose were ultra feminine – not the sort of thing women would regularly wear, soto me, that was going out in drag.

Cross dressing is many things. To me, it’s not even a thing. I dress as my feminine persona chooses to dress, and allow her to be herself.  So I suppose it’s cross dressing into my other side, rather than cross dressing as a different gender, which is how most see it.

I am both genders, or, more accurately, somewhere on a sliding scale between male and female, as are all creatures.

Love Laura.

I replied yes, because I can’t imagine why it matters. Ru Paul & Courtney Act, who are labeled as “Drag” have really done a lot to open some minds. They are both beautiful and not as exaggerated as some called Drag Queens. I can make my body look pretty feminine and I move around well in heels, but my face would not likely fool anyone. If I went a little OTT with makeup, the drag thing could work for me. Besides, if you’re not going to fool people, maybe making it a caricature would put people more at ease. It might make it more of a game/celebration like Halloween is for many. If I had the resources, I’d open a joint for anyone who wants to dress up all year. I’d call “Halloween Adventure.” Watch for it in KC!

Mona
      Duchess

Of course they’re not the same, silly.  One involves wearing the clothes of the opposite gender while the other entails racing down a track in a specialized car.  Of course, the latter does involve the crossing of a line, so they do have that in common.

Am I missing something here? 😉

[quote quote=149608]Of course they’re not the same, silly. One involves wearing the clothes of the opposite gender while the other entails racing down a track in a specialized car. Of course, the latter does involve the crossing of a line, so they do have that in common.

Am I missing something here? 😉

[/quote]
      I love your answer!!

I think the difference Jackie is that anyone who dresses up as the opposite sex  in private it is usually because for that moment  they want to become that person and is a crossdresser, whereas a drag artist is more of a showbiz type who enjoys the glamor of the character. I would however hesitate to be dogmatic about anything related to crossdressing as after reading the forums on this site I have realised that the reasons for dressing as a woman are varied and wonderful. I was out tonite in my “schoolgirl” outfit getting looks of disdain from some and eliciting a few chuckles from a group of girls, and to be honest I enjoyed the attention, so maybe I’m a bit of both.

Jackie
      Ambassador

I am grateful for all the responses to this poll/question. I suppose I am both, I use makeup 7 day’s a week, have my nails done every month or sometimes 2 weeks, I have no male clothing and I do drag. It interest me when I hear all drag queens perform. Other than doing a lip sync song every now and again I don’t perform. I do attend charity events, drag bingo etc. though. Thanks for your responses everyone.

Hi Jackie, I agree with most of the comments. I personally feel, and this has been said before! that cross dressing is a personal issue, a desire to be a woman or simply dress as a woman, drag acts on the other hand, I suppose, do it for entertainment value or showbiz needs. Its a generalization, but thats how I see it.

Fiona xxx

To me…..crossdressing is all about emulating females. Try to be just like the average girl on the street so to speak.

Drag is also about mimicking females but in a more outrageous form.  After watch Ru-Paul and company, I was reminded of Valley Girls. To me I have never run into females, and there have been plenty, who would ever act this way. I think Valley Girl behaviour is something Hollywood invented……totally not real. I do admit however, to getting a laugh from Ru-Paul’s interpretation of females and gays. I know, from having many friends in all the non-normal, so to speak, walks of life. Kinda like the 3 Stooges I guess…..funny to watch but we know it would never really be that way in real life.

Drag versus Cross-dressing….very similar but no cigar as to being the same thing.

Dame Veronica

Anonymous

In my dressing it is about achieving a classic fashionable, passing look. It is about blending in with all the other beautiful women you see out and about. I am proud and happy to say that I almost never get “clocked”.

Drag, and drag queens are all about sticking out and getting noticed. Hair, boobs, lashes…all over the top and too much too big….actually an insult to womanhood if you think that’s all that makes a woman……

Hi Harietta. I live in Chiang Mai and if I wanted to blend in with the ladies I see I would have to wear subdued colors, shorts, a tee shirt and sneakers, which would be rather boring. Skirts or dresses are a rare sight. I think the ladies should be celebrating their femininity the femininity that we crave, rather the drab outfits most wear. Maybe the cross dressing/transgender community can inspire them.

Marianne
      Ambassador

As many others I chosed no. I would say doing Drag is an extreme way of crossdressing for a specific reason, usually some sort of entertainment. Most cases of crossdressing, however, aren’t Drag but a way of personal expression to which there can be many different explanations, all from being transgender or gender nonconfirming, over different fetishes, to be right out happy confusing the people around you by your appearance.

Marianne

Anonymous

Didn’t Sontag answer this question with her essay on Camp (see Wikipedia): we can be they, given circumstances; they can we, given circumstances.  But, the but, is always intent.  Camp always implies parody, however arch, and whoever carries it out – Wagner, anyone.  Sorry, I might be being a little European here.

Anonymous

Forgot to add, we Brits (which like the West Indians, when only playing cricket) who are only such to the Irish, or Yanks – try it on a Scotsman, particularly an Orange one – love Panto, which involves drag: a lot of it, in front of a large audience of kids.

Anonymous

Sorry, what happened to this girl trying to get something going on ‘Slips’ in topics… Toodle, Nicola

I don’t think there is much interest in cricket on these forums Nicola unless it’s about emptying my cricket box!

Anonymous

Perhaps not. I just wanted to be the girl that first mentioned it on the site: the long form, not the vulgar disco derivative – interest sustained over days!  Toodle, Nicola

I would love to play Dandini in Panto,all that thigh slapping in fishnet tights.

Iv’e just read most of the essay and I am not sure she did. A very interesting essay on camp though.

it depends on if they crossdress as well as do drag. because they are different. but I have thought about using drag as a way of expressing my crossdressing.

I’m Crazy about both! To me, I’m a Cross Dresser that adores Drag Queens. So yes I see “Drag” as being more theatrical, sort of a swashbuckling transvestite!

Rami Love
      Lady

Speaking from the perspective of a non HTR, non SRS, non binary, monogamous  married transgender, my steriotypical uninformed impression of drag queens is that they are most definately different.

Anonymous

Drag is cross dressing!  But we must look at this in context, drag queens (many of whom are gay and effeminate in their behavior) do not dress as women outside their performance environment.  I know many queens . . .  Not like a large group on this forum that want to go out into society at large and blend in or just simply like the contact high we get form all of those sassy and sensual items we like to wear . . .

CD-runs down the road and to the market for milk wearing yogas pink ball cap-sporting normal looks, girl next door

Drag-funny,exaggerated,glamorous, lots of make up, glitter, huge heels, performers

Anonymous

I feel drag queens overdo their makeup and clothing. But a Crossdresser at least for my perspective like to try to look as close to a woman as possible without being overly obvious. Just my opinion.

I love going to drag shows, some are very entertaining as it gives them a release for their talents as actus, some are bi, gay and straight. I find them fun and wish I could find others in my part of the country.

Manager Codille
      Managing Ambassador

Daughter Jackie,

LOL, I write you a note to reply and you are the one to start the poll in the 1st place.

Muah,

MCB

Jackie
        Ambassador

Well my very first drag mother once told me (among many other things) that “anyone can put on a dress, but it’s how you wear that dress that counts.” Spoken from a true inspirational Queen Bee.

RIP Jessica Rae

Anonymous

Drag is just flamboyant —

most crossdressers are much more subtle and just want to fit in —

but to each her own —

Jackie
        Ambassador

I believe your wrong but your also right in one big sense and that is your statement “to each they’re own! Don’t you think it should be ” to each her own”? I have done drag for many year’s and dressed for even longer. In fact I wear makeup daily and have my nails done monthly and sometimes bi monthly. I don’t own one thread of male clothing and I seriously despise the term/title cross dresser, so stereotype I think. However I suppose one could say I’m a cross dresser. Drag Queens have fun, do you have fun? To each they’re own.

To be honest I am conflicted on this one. I do want to pass as a woman but I also like to “Drag up” . The problem is I go out with my wife and she got upset when some girls were giggling at me (although it really didn’t bother me, besides I was only wearing a short pleated skirt with my long blonde wig). I told her I want to feel “Sexy” and she replied that the outfit was ok for a young girl but that I am not and should dress my age ( especially in a shopping mal, to which I replied “OK but I don’t want to dress as a grandma, where’s the fun in that? Looking at the picture of myself, which has been posted I don’t think I was over the top. We are going to Phuket(a lively beach resort and haven for transexuals) in April for a few days for which I have warned her I am going full on wearing the most outrageous outfits I have, for which she seems OK. Maybe I should dress down for a mall. If dressing as a woman all the time was acceptable to my employers That would be heaven, therefore dressing sensibly during the day might be acceptable, but I only get that one day outing and like to make the most it.

What do you think Jackie?

Jackie
            Ambassador

For Amelia, I think you should dress any damn way your heart tells you too regardless of where you are. I pretty much keep it toned down so to speak during the day when I go anywhere, shopping, taking care of affairs, visiting etc. Societies definition of morals, values, rights, interests, public appearance and amendments are still lacking the motivation to move on in so many ways. I remember the first time I ever went to an actual salon and had my hair styled. The style I chose was a very popular style for women yet I was looked upon and stereotyped as well as judged. My mother claimed I looked more like another one of her daughters instead of her son (which thrilled me and didn’t shame me). Kids at school were then convinced that all they’re claims and accusations were confirmed. Bottom line was that I was gay, I did have the appearance and gestures of a girl, I did dress the part and I stopped caring and being overly concerned with what everyone thought at a very early age and kept on moving forward with who I was and who I becoming more of each day. So with that in mind I say you and anyone else that’s listening wear what you feel is comfortable for you and be who you are. I think life is too short to not do that!

Yes. Thanks for that Jackie, I think you are right.I do wish I’d had your courage when I was younger.  Every few weeks we go to a hotel nearby so I can wear what I like for a long weekend, and really enjoyed trolling round in my micro denim shorts, but only when there enough tourists to appreciate the display. The first time we did this I had my first manicure,Wow! Watching the Chinese tourists pass by the window while having my nails done was enjoyable. I keep saying “Go for it girl” maybe I should take my own advice.

Becka
        Lady

Simple and well stated!

While I think that both CD and drag def share similar core motivations, I believe they are different. I love drag and drag queens. While there is always some chaff out there on the scene, being a queen takes drive, talent, and a belief in the craft. Not easy.

Cross dressing, I feel, is a more intimate experience. Largely done for internal needs, where the exterior results feeds those needs. Drag is, primarily, done as a performance, an exhibition and is (when done well) the result of lots of work and professionalism. Coupled to this is with drag,  there comes the rightful expectation of critical critique. As with every serious performance art, it can be no other way.

It takes balls to do drag. And I love me some queens! I just feel cross dressing is done for different reasons, for (mostly) different results.

Kisses!

-Syd

I guess this takes me back to geometry.  Every square is a rectangle but every rectangle is not a square.   So I guess goes this….Every drag queen is a CD but every CD is not a drag queen.

But still, I voted no because the drag queen thing is a whole different animal with the flamboyancy, the performance, the need to be noticed.  Being a CD is something that is to me, more intimate to that person doing the crossdressing.  My impression is most CD’s would prefer to be passable and blend in so they could just be their CD self in public and private.  Drag queens are all about being noticed.  It’s so different between the two on a psychological level.

Khloe West
        Duchess

Utterly agree on many fronts!

Will try and get back here tomorrow to opine and not shagged.

Great topic!

Khloe West
        Duchess

Well said and reasoned from me with a foot in either side of the great divide.

Danielle
      Lady

I think drag is the same as crossdress drag is like beginning crossdressing is like hi-tech

My theory and philosophy in it is this..TO EACH IS OWN…wutever makes u happy and dress the way u want when it when not in public..but..lol..be mindful in public as dont inappropriately dress at the wrong place..dont want to be getting thrown out ir locked up..lol..but be u and love who u are.. where  why makes u comfortable and feel the best about being u..whether ur a crossdresser or a drag queen..enjoy urslef..doesn’t matter in the label or the stereo type that often comes with it..u are wut u want to be and enjoy..life is to short to be 2 be waering boring clothes..xoxo

Becka
      Lady

They are basically the same in MHO.  I can be flamboyant being in drab!

Jackie
      Ambassador

For me it is a way of life. I came out as a cd at 17, same day only a few hours afterwards I came clean about being gay. The following year I began doing drag. It was a definite way to get into our only gay bar at the time a year before I was year short of the legal age. I began this post to see if others felt. There has been many agrees and those who don’t agree. Yes when in drag I do feel a little more flamboyant. With the exception of doing lip sync and placing crowns on many drag queen friends/sisters I don’t perform. I read a couple replies that us drag queens do it more to perform and that’s not true. Many of my friends and millions of other drag queens don’t perform on stage. Drag really is a way to be noticed and either condemned or looked upon as having a non care attitude of what people think. I personally don’t own one stitch of male clothing. I am 24/7 wearing makeup daily and what is considered womens clothing. So with that in mind even though I despise the stereotype and judgement I suppose since I am a biological male Too am a cd except when I do drag and go out. I get the same attention either way! 

Khloe West
        Duchess

I answered no to the poll, but a very interesting question.

I rather came to all of this backwards.

Through one of the most convoluted flow charts one might ever imagine? A practical joke that the wife and I were playing on HER FB pals slid sideways and into a ditch.

A long story short? A Halloween challenge to do drag (which I did intentionally tragically), that led to a YT “drag makeover” by Courtney Act that rather stuck! :0

I’m in lady duds every day anymore for the daily “tomboy” look for my work, but when in full dress? Usually for some sort of event, casting call, or whatever…and YES…far more flamboyant, full of attitude, and rather view it as my ultra late to the game “punk” phase. Being passable is nice, but when I kick it into quirky? I want to be noticed. I guess it’s the latent “performance artist” in me blooming ~ lol!

That said? From the unlikely practical joke moment? I thought the YT makeover would be a one off fluke. Since then, I’ve been asked to do interviews, had a write up in Frock, done fundraisers, modeling for a book, indie film spots, print adverts for a local business, and even a part in an experimental television pilot! It’s been a surreal past few years!!!

A few years back, in another shortened story? I was ‘in drag” with some visiting friends at Hamburger Mary’s in the audience. Hostess was Jasmine Masters and we were all chatting before the show and funing about many things. I thought she was still joking when she said she was gpoing to put me in her show that evening…up until one of the “house guys” gave me about 3 minutes of notice that I WAS next! 3 minutes of unrehearsed and unplanned sync followed and it turned out OK.

$42 in tip money and can claim this as both the most exhilarating and terrifying 3 minutes of my life!

Khloe West
      Duchess

I do think it all gets stereotyped in a similar manner by most.

There’s all sorts of takes. I may be the utter contrarian model in the straight and married 35+ years doing drag for the first time in my 50’s and loving it!

The far right/straight/religious insist that I’m a closeted gay perv. There’s been more than a few in the gay community that are adamant that I can’t “really” do drag because I’m NOT gay! So much for broad acceptance there!

I thought it was open to all ~ lol!

Anymore? I guess I just dress on the daily for my own comfort, but for the full on loud (but oft subtle) drag? Most likely an event, as that’s a few hours out of my life to prep.

Jackie
        Ambassador

Kloe whoever told you you have to be gay to do drag was full of it. I have friends who aren’t gay or bi sexual and they are drag queens. One of the queens I am friends with is married and has four kids. Of course they don’t know of her doing drag but she always seems to pull it off sometimes getting dressed and ready at my house. A guy I know tried to pick up on her and she clearly told him she is not gay but she reaps all the ultimate rewards and good times we all have. I say go for it as often as you can. Have fun, Jackie…..

Khloe West
          Duchess

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply and “word” on that!

I was rather startled  with “gay” responses being exclusive, but it also gave me a lesson in that the “accepting” community, as do some in the Trans* community that play the HRT card or you’re not “real” game, are as small minded as anyone can be on either front.

I just continue to be be and if I annoy anyone? Will take 5 minutes to try and educate them or walk away.

PM me some of the other “straights” when you have the time. Pals with Vera Wylde on LinkedIn, and a great post from her follows…

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1646-7-things-you-learn-as-straight-guy-whos-crossdresser.html

Omg Khloe….thank you so much for the article link.   The part about being closeted and keeping my dressing a secret from my wife….the whole trust thing really hit home.  It’s not as if I WANT to keep it a secret but I HAVE to keep it a secret.  If she ever found out, once we got past the yelling and tears, then there would be the confrontation regarding what it’s all about.  I know her all too well and she would never accept this part of me.  So I live this life of indemnity, fearing that one day she’ll find out but knowing I cannot deny to myself that I love to dress and what it means to me.

Khloe West
            Duchess

Anne, I thank you for the kind words!

If you think it might help? Hit YT an query “straight husband goes drag”. I’ma ‘ bout the only thing that shows up and where this all started for me at the ripe age of my early 50’s.

Still married – still dressing – the wife knows and buys me cute things.

#KeepTheFaith #ItCAN Happen

I think there is more to Drag than simply wearing women’s clothing and appearing female; there is also the performance aspect of Drag. Drag Queens sing (or lipsync), dance or do standup; but I also find that many do Drag for the shock value.

Now, female impersonators are another topic altogether.

Khloe West
        Duchess

A well thought out and reasoned reply.

I rather try and split the difference.

I’ve modeled “old school” Hollywood in print adverts, been on stage (unexpectedly and unrehearsed) at Hamburger Mary’s, and get called out for interesting bits of modeling and film shoots, fund raisers, and casting calls. All might desire a different look on a given day.

Dressing “is” dressing and need go no further.

That said? Nothing describes the word “terror” better than heading out to your firts casting call in full “drag” in front on the neighbors at 9 AM…waving… and just shouting out “Just going to work!”

For me? Finding the inner HAM and performance artist/drag queen has been grand!!!

two different worlds, Noxeema explains it nicely in Too Wong Foo…

Melissa Davis
        Baroness

Shayla, can you explain the difference as explained in a movie I haven’t seen for some time?

I’ll admit I never really understood the difference until recently…but I am new to this world and both drag and CD always fell “under the same blanket” to me.  I realize now that they are 2 different things.  I love a good drag queen, but yes it seems like most of them do it for performance or even shock value or “over do” it (big hair, tons of makeup, etc).

I prefer the idea of looking more like a natural woman since that’s more in line with what I’ve been feeling lately…..I hope I didn’t offend any queens here, just speaking to my personal preferences…I love all of my sisters!

Anonymous

Yes, I like how you mentioned the difference, “ audience verse private” I’m new to the world of femininity. As a Closet Girl I could easily Glam Up and try to imitate our Drag Queens. But theirs is such an elevated Art Form (I could easily ATTEMPT to glam up but I doubt I could pull it off) I actually Dress to engulf myself in what I admire the most about the feminine traits

Anonymous

Short Answer

Drag is for an audience, for pay, entertainment of the viewers

Crossdressing is for oneself, or for a partner——

Some queens may be CD’s and for the same reasons we are…..a lot of different reasons.

I dress for her, and it makes me very excited and sexy to be her lover……..AND the drag makeup videos are FAR superior to those for women—-they know how to create a beautiful face on a man’s face.  Must have seen 1,000 of them—–Can YOU TELL ????

Mikki

Anonymous

I find it awesome that my opinions change with time and experience – a nice feminine trait, that I reserve the right to change my mind about anything at any time!

Having been out and met drag queens, transisters and all manner of other, lovely rainbow gendered people, I can safely say we’re all the same but different.

How you choose to dress shouldn’t require a label or pigeon hole for what you are!

You want to go out dressed like a nurse, a pantomime dame, a disco diva?

Go for it.

That’s not who you are, it’s how you choose to express yourself for that moment.

Love Laura

I see drag queens as our siblings from another mother. We’re all crossdressers, drag queens just take it to the n-th degree. The majority of us do CDing in private or to “blend-in” to public society. Drag Queens do CDing for entertainment and income reasons and to stand out in public society(and just as much kudos to them as those of us who are not closeted). I think we can draw inspiration from each other.

Anonymous

This is how I see it: All Drag Queens are crossdressers, but all crossdressers aren’t Drag Queens. Different objectives and often different motivation.

Hi Jackie,

Often these questions provide us the opportunity to think.  Sure drag queens are cross dressers.  But then so much more.  They are performers and can go to extremes in their pursuits.  Many are professionals and often professionally trained unlike a cross dresser who often is deep in the closet.

Alice

Do I think it’s OK? . Absolutely. Do I think it is the same as crossdressing? To me it is. A man dressing as a woman. I think the only difference might be is I dress to be the real me. I don’t wish to be a spectacle. I fully accept drag queens as people.

Drag is theatre.

Crossdressing is a lifestyle choice.

Just my opinion

Drag is typically done by gay men and is almost always exaggerated in terms of dress, makeup and mannerisms. It is very rare to see them out in public dressed as such unless they are working. Crossdressers do not typically perform, nor do most dress in an exaggerated fashion.

ChloeC
      Duchess

Two or three years ago, one of the drag queens on RuPaul’s show came out as a transsexual with plans to transition.  So, I have to assume being a drag queen is a lot more complex than we like to make it, just like being a cross-dresser is more complex than others want to make it.  It takes all kinds, and every hue and color variation on the spectrum is taken up by someone.  Actually blurring the lines is better for everyone.  Makes it tougher to single out certain types for less than full acceptance.   Yes, we may want to feel special in that we belong to a shared community, but just reading all the comments in the different forums, even here there are large differences.   I grew up with a very liberal thinking mother and a very conservative thinking step-father.  We did NOT have any political discussions that I was ever aware of. And I grew up and still live to the belief that I try to be as decent a person as I can to others and as such expect a decent amount of respect back. If I don’t live up to that, I’m to blame. If others don’t live up to my expectations of them, I have no interest in caring to learn their story and share. I’m not a particularly religious person but if a tax collector, leper, or harlot met me and wanted to be friends with me because of how I am, I would consider their friendship just as dear as I would any others.

Some feel that drag performers fall under the transgender umbrella. Personally, I don’t agree with that, but I don’t have any issues with the concept of doing drag. It is entertainment, like anything else, and something to be appreciated in its own right.

I do remember the person you mentioned who was on RuPaul’s show. While it doesn’t happen very often, there are drag performers (and some crossdressers, for that matter) who do come to the realization that their true gender identity lies somewhere else. That in no way validates, or invalidates, the concepts of drag or crossdressing. To my way of thinking, the idea of doing drag or crossdressing provided a way to unlock (unconsciously, I think) other thoughts and feelings, but for most people there isn’t anything else.

I ran across an article on the NewNowNext web site called “I’m Not A F*cking Drag Queen” by Jen Richards (4/28/2017). Among other things, it has that quote in it by Noxeema:

When a straight man puts on a dress and goes on a sexual kick he is a transvestite. When a man is a woman trapped in a man’s body and has a little operation he is a transsexual. When a gay man has way too much fashion sense for one gender he is a drag queen” —Noxeema Jackson, To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

Further along is this:

It’s a natural instinct to define ourselves in opposition to what we’re not. It’s one of the ways the self is created and maintained. When identity is early in formation, or tenuous for any reason, the sting of being confused for that “other” we define ourselves against can be particularly acute.

But the intensity of our emotional recoil can obscure the uncomfortable blurriness of the lines we see so clearly: If the difference between transvestites, transsexuals, and drag queens was self-evident, it wouldn’t need to be articulated by Noxeema in To Wong Foo.

There is also a video on YouTube of that scene where Nozeema explains…

DeLora
      Lady

Drag is a form of crossdressing, but it is typically done for entertainment or show. I think most of us on CDH cross dress as a form of self expression, expressing the feminine side of our personalities. While I am sure there is some overlap in the feminine expression CD’s and the Drag CD’s they are very different forms of CDing.
      Unortunatly, when most people that are not familiar with CDs think of CDs they think of Drag because that is the most visible part of the community. I say unfortunately simply because drag is a very narrow window on the CD world… Not dissing drag queens, infact, part of me would like to give it a go at least once.

D.

Jackie
      Ambassador

There have been many opinions posted to this question. I was curious about how many here at CDH believe or don’t believe that we are all the same in the sense where it comes to putting on a dress, makeup and heels. I have been a cross dresser since I was 10 or 11, a drag queen my whole adult life. While there are those that perform amaturly there are thousands of those that perform professionally. As for myself I have performed many times and as someone stated I love the attention I get both positive and in the negative sense as well. However, I don’t do drag for the attention nor for solely performing. I guess I do it for the step up in glamming up, It truly does give me confidence. The confidence that I can put on a dress, my makeup, sky high heels ad go where acceptance flourishes in very high numbers. I get several comments and atta girl’s from more women than men. Whereas when I’m some place in my everyday attire the not so silent comments like that’s a man not a woman or look at the fag who thinks he is a girl surrounds me sometimes. But I learned many years ago to ignore the slangs, the ruthless comments and stereotyping as well as labels we all get. I am very proud of who I am and continue to be. I won’t ever be ashamed nor quit being who I was born to be!

I’ve attended a number of drag shows and I’m always surprised that 75% of the audience is female.  There are full tables of women and the men in the audience are only there with a woman   I think women enjoy watching drag much more than men.  CDs in the audience are looking for makeup and style ideas.

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I voted before I saw the question “ok to do”.

I believe that they are both fantastic, but I don’t think that they’re the same.

Drag performers are like an other stage or screen persona. It tends to be an exaggerated version of ho hum daily life to give it FLAIR! I would not dare take away from the Drag performers and say that what I do is anywhere near their level.

So, not the same…but all fun!

Yes my observations too

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

The correct answer is yes and no.  Since drag means wearing women’s clothes technically yes, but they are not the typical cross dresser, most of whom do it for different reasons.  I think many of us cannot tell with certainty why.  To some I could answer that I admire the female form and want to be that, including some of the feelings and way of thinking.  BUT that is not ‘it’ exactly either.  Trying to say why I love doing this is like trying to nail a blob of slime to the wall!

It is also my observation that many cross dressers have a bit of drag desires in them.  I read from many here at CDH that some of there favorite shoes have 4, 5 or 6 inch heals, something most GG’s wouldn’t desire much.  Shoot sometimes I wonder what I would look like in 5 inch stilletos.  The only thing is at 65 my knees and ankles can’t do this any more.

The only other thing I have to comment on this subject is let us all take care of being offended by different terms and seperating ourselves into different groups.  We are all shunned ( looked down on, called hurtful names, misunderstood) by many.  We need to stand together as much as posibile, supporting each others back.

Take care all, Sandy

Drag is more than a little bit different – it has specific goals within an entertainment sphere.

Few drag queens would spend their daily lives in drag, many cross dressers wish to spend as much time as possible en femme – and not for the entertainment of others.

Drag is stylised – an exaggeration of female attributes. A really good drag queen will wow with her look before hitting you with a good singing style (even lip-synching can be done really well) or a great natural seeming line in stand up comedy.

Having been to a few shows, I really admire those gals and what they do.

I tend to be able to chat to them before and after – they always notice the 6’4″ blonde lady – and the ones I’ve spoken to have been lovely – really easy to banter with.

Cross dressing is trying to look as realistic as possible, and, currently, does not have much air time – hence we tend to be the most misunderstood of all!

Ahh!

Understanding starts right here, which is partly why I’m putting together my own “Drag” act. I don’t want to be famous, just to get understanding in the wider world.

Love Laura

Bobbi I did not know that!

Here comes Laura, the drag librarian 😘

I see drag stars as actresses, preforming in shows. Us crossdressers like the feel of being feminine all the time, unrelated to career.

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?