- November 3, 2020 at 6:53 am #402263Kay AndersonParticipantRegistered On: June 1, 2020Topics: 17Replies: 576Has thanked: 5846 timesBeen thanked: 3066 times
I am giving serious thought to having my ears pierced. I am wondering if stores have stopped piercing ears because of Covid concerns. Has anyone used the at home ear piercing kits?
Anyone get their ears pierced at a store recently?
- December 1, 2020 at 7:25 pm #413121Allen HouseParticipantRegistered On: November 3, 2020Topics: 0Replies: 3Has thanked: 1 timeBeen thanked: 7 times
- December 1, 2020 at 4:21 pm #413061PrudenceAmbassadorRegistered On: January 7, 2020Topics: 0Replies: 13Has thanked: 98 timesBeen thanked: 57 times
Hi Kay! I just had mine pierced last Tuesday. And had an old piercing reopened. I went to a tattoo shop. They are open. I believe Clair’s is also. But I wanted a needle instead of a piercing gun. I Love it!! Hugs Pru
- December 1, 2020 at 4:09 pm #413060Britney SummersParticipantRegistered On: June 6, 2020Topics: 4Replies: 94Has thanked: 319 timesBeen thanked: 331 times
- December 1, 2020 at 10:19 am #412942Kitty Van CurenParticipantRegistered On: November 3, 2020Topics: 0Replies: 51Has thanked: 61 timesBeen thanked: 150 times
- December 2, 2020 at 2:00 pm #413413PrudenceAmbassadorRegistered On: January 7, 2020Topics: 0Replies: 13Has thanked: 98 timesBeen thanked: 57 times
Hi Kitty! That is how I got my first piercing. Used a potato on the under side of the ear, so I didnt get jabbed in the neck when it pushed through. It’s really not bad at all. Wearing clipo ns for an hour hurts more. TC Pru
- December 2, 2020 at 2:02 pm #413414Kitty Van CurenParticipantRegistered On: November 3, 2020Topics: 0Replies: 51Has thanked: 61 timesBeen thanked: 150 times
Haa! How awesome. Thank you for that, Prudence! ..I’ll always remember it, not only was it ‘different’ but what a bonding experience! Sadly we’ve lost touch now and our lives have moved on but I’ll never forget her doing that for me!!
- December 1, 2020 at 9:49 am #412932IsabelBParticipantRegistered On: March 18, 2019Topics: 3Replies: 169Has thanked: 442 timesBeen thanked: 481 times
Purchased an Inverness home ear piercing kit from Amazon (50$ CAD) and pierced my ears this past Saturday.
Simple prceedure… was my own surgeon.
Now you just need to wait the 6 weeks and then fun-time…!
It’s great being able to wear ‘proper’ earrings and even though I only pierced mine fairly recently, I can change them quite easily without a mirror. I’m not-so-slowly building a collection – including converting some of my clip-on ones.
- November 30, 2020 at 3:04 pm #412693Dala CarlianParticipantRegistered On: March 4, 2020Topics: 3Replies: 102Has thanked: 212 timesBeen thanked: 284 times
I bought these home units from Amazon and let my wife do it. It took 5 min.
I also bought these to wear after I took out the initial piercings. These are a good mix of studs that work in Drab or casual girl modes…
I am pretty happy with my pierced ears… 😉
- November 30, 2020 at 1:53 pm #412676GenevïéveParticipantRegistered On: July 28, 2020Topics: 5Replies: 293Has thanked: 3163 timesBeen thanked: 1195 times
- December 1, 2020 at 12:26 am #412832
- November 30, 2020 at 1:34 pm #412663Bridgette VonsmirffParticipantRegistered On: October 18, 2020Topics: 5Replies: 69Has thanked: 918 timesBeen thanked: 309 times
- November 13, 2020 at 3:33 pm #406273Joanne WattersParticipantRegistered On: August 25, 2020Topics: 0Replies: 4Has thanked: 4 timesBeen thanked: 27 times
I have had my ears pierced for years, I had a female friend do them for me, to this day I still get a thrill when I put on a pair of hoops or long dangling earrings, I just love showing off the fact that I have pierced ears. Joanne
- November 13, 2020 at 3:16 pm #406262IsabelBParticipantRegistered On: March 18, 2019Topics: 3Replies: 169Has thanked: 442 timesBeen thanked: 481 times
Which piercing kit did you get Isabel? Thinking of doing the same.
I decided not to go for the really cheap ones and spent a little more on the Inverness kit with the 3mm stainless steel ball studs. I was actually quite impressed at how simple it was also that the studs actually ‘click’ into the backs which are domed so there is no chance of the piercing stud catching behind your ear during the healing time.
- November 14, 2020 at 1:49 am #406370
- November 13, 2020 at 1:56 pm #406229IsabelBParticipantRegistered On: March 18, 2019Topics: 3Replies: 169Has thanked: 442 timesBeen thanked: 481 times
I pierced my ears a couple of months ago using a home piercing kit bought from Amazon. It worked perfectly, no pain or discomfort and no sign of infection, although I was rigorous about using the cleaning solution two or three times per day for the six weeks of healing.
Now I can wear any earrings I want to and it’s great! Very much recommended and sooooo much better than clip-ons.
- November 13, 2020 at 2:08 pm #406235
- November 13, 2020 at 1:03 pm #406211MollyParticipantRegistered On: October 22, 2018Topics: 2Replies: 249Has thanked: 1268 timesBeen thanked: 762 times
I don’t know what it’s like in the states; but up here in the now white north…. There are tattoo and piercing parlours that are now open by appointment only.
I’d highly recommend that you use such a place for the following reasons:
1. They do a better job of piercing with the minimum of collateral trauma. (Needle is less damaging than a gun as there’s less of a shock wave) Now I admit that this is hotly debated as to whether it’s substantial enough to be concerned about, but why take a chance
2. They have better experience in balancing the location of the hole. Especially if you say you’re going to want a second one later.
3. They will go through the ear on the best angle.
Reasons #2 and #3 are definitely considerations… Yes you can ‘fix’ mistakes by letting the hole heal over in the lobe, but why go through all the hassle? I can see from the other comments here that this is a common theme for replies.
I’ve been pierced for almost 2 years now, and I’m so happy that I did it with someone who takes pride in making sure it’s right to begin with.
- November 12, 2020 at 4:22 pm #405932Autumn ValiantParticipantRegistered On: July 14, 2019Topics: 30Replies: 1105Has thanked: 15758 timesBeen thanked: 2734 times
- November 8, 2020 at 4:56 am #404175Vanessa VanreedParticipantRegistered On: May 7, 2020Topics: 1Replies: 36Has thanked: 27 timesBeen thanked: 175 times
I would go to a tattoo parlor I have five piercing all done by the same girl. When I got my double helix piercing I did en femme.
- November 7, 2020 at 1:09 pm #403986Mary Ann SummersParticipantRegistered On: April 29, 2020Topics: 13Replies: 102Has thanked: 281 timesBeen thanked: 727 times
I purchased the self piercing kits from Amazon. It is this little thingy that has a stud in it already and you just put it on the place on your lobe where you want the stud and squeeze. I froze lobe first with an ice cube, then cleaned with rubbing alcohol. No pain at all. I got a pack of 8 of them for $9.00.
- November 4, 2020 at 5:34 am #402681Sophia KeelerParticipantRegistered On: June 21, 2020Topics: 3Replies: 31Has thanked: 836 timesBeen thanked: 146 times
- November 4, 2020 at 3:20 am #402637Bre MartinParticipantRegistered On: November 1, 2020Topics: 12Replies: 37Has thanked: 2 timesBeen thanked: 329 times
- November 4, 2020 at 3:15 am #402636Rachel CrossParticipantRegistered On: October 13, 2020Topics: 22Replies: 186Has thanked: 1091 timesBeen thanked: 935 times
i had my ears pierced last year at a jewelry stand in the mall. quick and painless. i wanted to get them done professionally. didnt want them to be out of line. would have done it myself but its hard to make sure they are in line. ive done my other piercings myself but they are not on my head. glad i got my ears pierced. clip ons hurt and suck. i have quite the collection of earrings now.
- November 4, 2020 at 1:57 am #402632Sharon WiltshireParticipantRegistered On: July 27, 2020Topics: 3Replies: 58Has thanked: 652 timesBeen thanked: 322 times
I desperately want mine done too. However I am too concerned about infection, and don’t want to burden the NHS right now so waiting it out. Damn hard. I may have purchased a few pairs of clip ons to see me through though.
- November 4, 2020 at 12:36 am #402620Leyenna HazelParticipantRegistered On: November 4, 2020Topics: 1Replies: 3Has thanked: 5 timesBeen thanked: 29 times
I pierced both my ears about 15 years ago. I used thumb tacks. I know, thumb tacks doesn’t sound like the best way to go but they worked well and I did sterilized them before I did it. Sooo…🤷♀️
- November 4, 2020 at 12:08 am #402614Grace ScarlettParticipantRegistered On: July 26, 2020Topics: 26Replies: 687Has thanked: 3839 timesBeen thanked: 3718 times
I have heard from others that the self piercing kits on Amazon are ok.
Two things I soooooo want…my ears pierced and professionally manicured/ painted finger nails….. alas my job will not support either at the moment, but if grace had everything she wanted, wouldn’t the future be boring!!!….good luck with your ears !
Huggs, grace x
- November 3, 2020 at 9:28 am #402374Michelle WilsonParticipantRegistered On: November 2, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 4Has thanked: 35 timesBeen thanked: 53 times
Piercing my ears was very exciting for me. I did it myself with a medical needle I stole from the lab I used to work in. I chose a high caliber needle, around the same size of an earring post. It was super easy and painless.
- November 3, 2020 at 9:26 am #402372SerenParticipantRegistered On: March 2, 2020Topics: 37Replies: 424Has thanked: 3672 timesBeen thanked: 1958 times
I’d researched and come to the same conclusion as Samantha and Bianca, that a tattoo parlour is a better/safer bet, but not yet got the courage….. I think now all our tattoo shops are closed for the foreseeable…. along with the laser clinics ☹️
- November 3, 2020 at 9:15 am #402366Bianca EverdeneParticipantRegistered On: April 11, 2017Topics: 16Replies: 580Has thanked: 2058 timesBeen thanked: 2074 times
My daughter got hers pierced about a month ago at a tattoo shop. Needle not gun, and did z very good job. Both had masks throughout. Don’t know where it comes under the Covid tiering maze! Try calling a couple of local tattoo shops to see what the current rules are in your area.
I had my own, ‘will I won’t I’ moment when she got them done. Not mustered the courage yet, but did order some magnetic ones to see what they would look like. Love them, and they do stay in place, just stud earrings but look soooo good, and a lot less painful than clip on’s.
- November 3, 2020 at 8:56 am #402357Kelly TerryParticipantRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 13Replies: 149Has thanked: 110 timesBeen thanked: 551 times
In June 2019 I did buy a DYI kit from aliexpress (like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000019549433.html – <$2 = way cheaper than amazon) and after a long wait it arrived. Then I did it my self and the only prep I did was wipe the ear with alchowipes so no ice or so. Didn’t hurt at all but I guess that depends on people and where it punctures.
- November 3, 2020 at 8:40 am #402342Celeste StarreParticipantRegistered On: June 26, 2018Topics: 26Replies: 627Has thanked: 152 timesBeen thanked: 1746 times
No idea regarding stores. As to home piercing kits the one I used many many years ago was a friend with an ice cube and a needle. Quick,easy,and pretty much painless as I recall. That was just one ear. Had the other one done to match in a salon about 22 years age with a piercing gun. That one took a couple weeks longer to heal than doing it with a needle.
- November 3, 2020 at 8:39 am #402341Samantha RoarkeAmbassadorRegistered On: April 17, 2019Topics: 41Replies: 1022Has thanked: 2430 timesBeen thanked: 2130 times
- November 3, 2020 at 8:05 am #402297GenevïéveParticipantRegistered On: July 28, 2020Topics: 5Replies: 293Has thanked: 3163 timesBeen thanked: 1195 times
- November 3, 2020 at 7:53 am #402294Sandy JaysonParticipantRegistered On: September 29, 2019Topics: 14Replies: 249Has thanked: 588 timesBeen thanked: 1071 times
Hi Kay. I had my ears pierced at a Clare’s about 2 months ago. I am going to guess that each store will go with what ever local restrictions in your own city.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.