Viewing 31 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi Ladies

This is about era of which you would like to dress and emulate, for me it’s the 1950’s I always want to dress like a goddess from that era. I loved the style and glamour of era I also love looking at the movie stars from then and try to emulate their style and dress.

So what about you lovely Ladies.

Sarah xx

Angela Booth
      Hostess

I would go along with your choice Sarah, The era was of very feminine clothes and beautiful underwear. Even doing the cooking was glamorous!

Angela sweetheart like me you have great taste.

xx

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

I live in the here and now.  That’s as much out of necessity as preference.  Keeping up with contemporary style matters. Rock & Roll is my biggest influence.  I’m a rock chick at heart.  Love anything that’s edgy and a little rebellious.

Think I’d have to go somewhere in the Renaissance-Victorian era.  All those lovely big gowns, hoop skirts and bustles… utterly impractical but utterly feminine!

Caty Ryan
        Baroness

Here here Astrid, especially the part about impractical and feminine. I should know, I have gowns from both eras!!

“Lacy Catherine”/ Scarlett O’ Caty

I’m with Emily on this, I am a trans woman, legally a female in today’s world with today’s fashions. So I live in the here and now. There are so many very pretty tops, skirts, coats, jackets, dresses, scarfs, purses and shoes, quite enough to keep me very happy! One of the nice things about women’s fashions nowadays is there really isn’t a specific age appropriate style anymore, if you like it, wear it and enjoy!

Hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

The 50s are a definite influence on me, especially the underwear, but any of the early Hollywood glamour would suit me. I’m most in love with the goth look which adapts many historical looks including Victorian styles of course, and similar to that is the burlesque dress of the Hollywood western saloon girls; I really should purchase a corset and flowing hi-low skirt!

It’s a good job I’m not out and about though – with my ideas of feminine style I’d never stand a chance of blending in. x

Meredith
      Lady

I love the 1930s and 40s Hollywood glam. The silk lingerie is gorgeous as are the dresses and heels. That said, I dress who I am with jeans, shorter skirts and usually bare feet.

Aurora Lynne
        Baroness

I also love the ‘Forties hairstyles and would love to have a wig in such a style.

Hi Sarah.I am with you when it comes to fifties fashions.I love watching the very early episodes of Perry Mason free from 1957.Love to see all the smart women with their gorgeous high heels. Also love the fashion from the 1940’s in Hollywood movies. Love all the hairstyles and the black  stockings with the seams at the back.

Hi Roberta
        A girl with good taste we both love the fifties.
        Sarah xx

Harriette
      Lady

A while ago, I did a deep dive into pleated, high-waisted pants after I went through a bunch of Katherine Hepburn pictures from, I don’t know, the ’40s?

I did buy a pair, but they were certainly not like hers, unfortunately.

Well I’m a huge pantyhose fan so I guess I’d say a late 80’s office look when most women wear pantyhose with every outfit. Skirts , dresses, heels , pantyhose for me.

Harriette
      Lady

Does anyone have any good tips on how to hunt down movie fashion?

You can find some good descriptions of some movie fashion, such as Alfred Hitchcock’s “North By Northwest”. Eve Marie Saint wears a gorgeous Bergdorf Goodman black & red swing/A-line dress. Lots of info here. Lesser well known movies not so much.

For example, in “Jane Got A Gun”, Natalie Portman wears an unusual looking Gambler’s style Stetson hat without a brim ridge. There are screenshots of it on-line. Who made it, sells it? It was probably custom-made for the movie.

Last night, we watched “The Hot Spot”, with the lovely Virginia Madsen and a 20-year old Jennifer Connelly. I can find a few screenshots with various Virginia’s fashion from this movie, but not any at all of the tulip dress she wore in two scenes. The web site FilmGarb doesn’t even list the movie, so I have run out of ideas on how to find the designer, except for contacting MGM directly.

I loved watching Madmen to see how women looked in the 1960’s. I loved those styles!

Anonymous

Oh gosh, the 60s for me. Every time! Perms and Rollons and corsets and stockings and high heels and skirts and dresses on the knee…

Give me some of that

Peggy Sue Williams
      Duchess - Annual

I came of age cross dressing in the 1950s and early 60s, so I have many memories of wearing girdles with garters, seamed stockings, crinolines, petticoats, wide stretchy belts, poodle skirts, etc.  Fortunately for me I had female mentors who coached me in the female arts, and I had many opportunities to be out in public as a female.  A few of my GFs always wondered how I know so much about female clothing, makeup, styles, etc.

I love the look of the late ’50’s early 60’s (think Leave it to Beaver, Donna Reed, Father Knows Best, etc.).  Those were the days that women wore dresses or skirts and blouses with stockings and heels everyday.  I do dress in a more contemporary look but do prefer dresses or skirts ans blouses.  I have jeans and slacks but my feeling in that is if I want to wear pants I can do that in drab.

XOXO
      Suzanne

Caty Ryan
        Baroness

I have jeans and slacks but my feeling in that is if I want to wear pants I can do that in drab.

Here Here Suzanne

Caty Ryan.

My sexual maturity (such as it is!) occurred in the 60s. So I am fixated on short, as in SHORT hemlines. minimal panties, the no-bra look. Just on the hippie side of classic girl-next-door.

Aurora Lynne
        Baroness

The same era as me, Jin hence my comment about being a Mod Girl.

Emily Shy
      Lady

I’d have to say late 50’s to early 60’s as well. I wasn’t alive then but stockings suspenders heels and dresses were normal all day attire. The colours they wore along with the make up lol.

I would love to be able to take the time and money and dress like that, go to the movies or a museum hahaha. But one can only dream I guess

Aurora Lynne
      Baroness

For me, definitely a Mod Girl of the 1960’s in England. I would love to have been a teen girl at the time, shop down Carnaby Street and dress in all the latest teen fashions. I would have a Mini as well, the car as well as the skirts.

As it is, my teenage years were in the ‘Sixties, but obviously not as a Mod Girl.

Definitely the hippy era for me

Aurora Lynne
        Baroness

I remember the era well. Also a style I would love to emulate.

I’ve always thought that it would be great to go back to the time I cut my teeth crossdressing which was the late 50’s early 60’s. This was when I would dress in my mother’s and sister’s suspender belts, girdles, stockings, great fluffy net petticoats and wonderful tailored dresses with voluminous circle skirts. But on reflection, I  think I agree with Emily that right now is the best time to be a crossdresser. The sheer variety of fashions available today is probably unprecedented and girls are able to express their own identity much more freely than ever before. The internet of course has made all this accessible with just a few clicks. In the 50’s and 60’s even teenagers tended to  dress very similarly to their mothers although maybe not their grandmothers. Today the young can look just the same as the old and vice versa. I have been looking for a new strapless bra recently and have been amazed by the advances in bra design. Not that long ago, THE strapless bra was the Wonderbra version but now there are bandeau bras with built in padding that stay up and provide reasonable support with no wires. Who would have thought it, comfort and function in a bra. Also just look at the advances in breast forms and other forms of padding. So I think both GG’s and CD’s are really lucky today. They can wear what they want and when they want. A girl can look just as great in a pair of denim shorts and t-shirt as, say, a satin slip dress. I really don’t think that was possible much in the past.

One era that I definitely would not like to emulate is the 1980’s with all the frizzy perms and huge shoulder pads. The Dynasty era now looks so dated. Anyone else got a past era that they hate?

Veronica

Veronica, the present era for crossdressers Has never been
        In American history. The selection of women’s fashion, the freedom that women have in our time compared to the 50s and 60s, is superior.LGBTQ+ ,
        Legal gay marriage, the end of Don’t Ask Don’t tell for people in the military to openly serve who they are,any celebrities coming out, head held high,
        I feel lucky to be across dresser now
        Xxox
        Stephanie Browne

Stephanie, thanks. We so often hark back to  how wonderful  the past was but I agree with you it’s much better to be a crossdresser now.

Veronica

Thank you girls! So get your favorite bra and skirt on and get out there head held high and be proud of yourself for who you really are!

xoxo

I agree 100% with you this is the best time to be cross-dressing, and who knows what the future brings might be better

Aurora Lynne
      Baroness

Hello Girls,

I agree with the girls who have stated that this is the best era in modern times to  be a crossdresser.

I think my post strayed off the original subject a bit in that I was  expressing the era and place in which, to me anyway, was the best time to be young and female.

I lived through the period of the ‘Sixties in my teens and in England. Of course, not as a teenage girl.

Other eras for feminine attire that I like are the ‘Forties, ‘Seventies and ‘Eighties… clothing and hairstyles.

Also, I remember that for a long period of time women would dress up just to go shopping downtown. Make-up, heels and everything. Young women at least would wear heels. In almost all cases though, women would dress well.

Just a few thoughts anyway.

Aurora Eden

Anonymous

There’s a common theme going on here and I agree with it 100%

For me to go back in time, definitely the 50s just into the 60s. That probably stems from the fact that when I was starting to enjoy dressing all the secret stuff in the chest in the loft if you like that my mum was hanging onto, as well as more, was from that era. Packs of proper stockings that had never been opened but just too good to get rid of. Some lovely dresses, shoes and sandals. The fact that as I was discovering all this treasure we were about the same size. Wonderful.

However I agree now is the best era ever in reality, reluctantly taking the rose tinted glasses off. Different attitudes in every arena from shopping to going out and about and when dressed the beauty of stretch thanks to lycra vivimt us leggings and bodycon dresses lol.

Watched an old movie last night set in the 30’s or 40’s . The actresses wore jackets with shoulder padding, long gloves, tight skirts and seemed hosiery and hats with netting. Looked like fun to me hehe

Harriette
        Lady

OK, I’ll bite…

Which movie was it?

Not a movie,it was the Perry Mason series.He was an attorney and his secretery,Della ,who was played by Barbara Hale,I believe.She was always in very pretty dresses,skirt suits heels and stockings.The gowns she wore were absolutely beautiful.The lady clients always wore the most fashionable outfits.If my Mom or Dad ever knew why I watched that show,they would be very surprised.LOL.

Hi Deborah Jackets with shoulder pads and tight skirts what could be better.

xx

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

I sometimes think it would be cool to emulate the way ladies dressed in the 1920’s “flapper” era. They wore some very pretty dresses back then.

Anonymous

So, my wife and we’re watching a series on Amazon this past week, Daisy Jones and The Six, set in the seventies. I saw a scene where the main character, Daisy, was in a bar and they showed some gogo dancers in white vests and white skirts, covered in white tassels. I was entranced. I want to wear this!

Aurora Lynne
        Baroness

I want to wear that outfit even more so if it includes go-go boots.

Anonymous

Absolutely!

While it is fun to wear the 1950’s style of wide skirts with a petticoat (or 2 or 3), it isn’t practical for everyday wear.

I agree that the modern era, where you can wear practically anything, is the best.

I find wearing the 50s style dresses mostly practical. When i get out, that is what I prefer to wear, and I get compliments about my dresses quite often. Just don’t go overboard with the petticoats, one is all you need to be practical.  Anymore, and it may get out of hand and appear odd. On that I agree.

~Charris

While multiple petticoats can get unyieldy, I have had occasions to wear multiple petticoats.

I’ve worn two petticoats under a poodle skirt for Halloween.

One year my friend held a red white and blue party. I wore a red top, white belt, and (home made) blue satiny circle skirt. Under the skirt I wore 3 petticoats. You guessed it; one red, one white, and one blue.

Anonymous

Dear Sarah,

I LOVE this topic! We have so much to discuss!

I loved the garments of the Victorian era. I grew up idolizing Japanese Visual Kei bands, which featured cross dressing band members in Gothic Lolita garments. It was the dresses, the lace and the hair curls which swept me away. They were queens and princesses in their own dark and mysterious kingdoms!

Albeit unpractical, it feels so good to be all glammed up and stylish!

with all my love for this topic!
      The Bluest Belladonna

Janet Woodham
      Duchess - Annual

I like 1950s styles. I am in the UK and have found Grace Karin who sell through Amazon are good here for that style of dress. They also sell flounced petticoats and although I am not sure about the length yet.

50’s all the way!

I’m right there with you Janet. I’m in the US, and Amazon has Grace Kain also. GownTown on amazon has a great selection also. Malco Modes and Folobe is where I’d get the petticoats (both on amazon).

Hi Janet

Flounced petticoats I must admit I have never worn one, something for me to think about your obviously very confident Janet.

Sarah xx

For me it’s the 1960’s. I always loved Betty Draper on Mad Men and would love to wear the outfits she did on the show! I’m a dress and high heels girl at heart.

Late sixties to early Eighties for me. carnaby street, mod style, miniskirts, hippie styles, long hair ,either straight or Farrah feathered.

• Soooo glad you asked, Sarah. I just think that when it comes to the most “femmetastic” style eras, the twenties (flapper attire), fifties (full skirts, petticoats, Rockabilly swing dresses, stewardess outfits) and sixties (miniskirts and micro-minis) are the apex. I bought a 50’s/60’s Audrey Hepburn style dress with a petticoat. Will post photos on CDH when I finally wear it out. I’m waiting for just the right time.

Being a fan of the hippie flower power era, I’g go for the 60’s. Any one of the Samantha Stevens look from Bewitched, Jeannie, Mortica Addams, Dusty Springfield, Barbarella, Grace Slick

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?