• This topic has 31 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 20 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Like many I’m out of shape.

Most of it was due to stuff beyond my control. Some was.

My problem is most of my life I’ve struggled to stay fit. So while I’ve carried extra weight I’ve always done sports and worked out. So I’m really struggling now.

This is a huge problem as I go deeper with my crossdressing, I hate how I look I’m male mode and really really hate how I look en fem.

So I’ve made up my mind to drop the weight, get fit and look and feel my best. Yes looks are part of this, but actually my health is the top priority both physically and mentally.

To start I bought some sports bras, leggings and a pretty hot pink leotard. I’ve now down a few workouts in my cute outfit at home on my exercise bike. I’m not bold enough to wear it to the gym. Plus if I don’t want to see me, I’m sure others sure don’t.

Today was day two on the exercise bike. I’m going to try to get up to 3 days a week to start with a goal of 5. Also I’m hoping to get to the gym some to mix it up with the treadmill and weights.

I guess I’m posting one to share that I got a cute outfit and love it. And two to reinforce my efforts. And three to get encouragement. Finally to offer inspiration to anyone who needs it.

So I’m open to ideas, comments, suggestions and anything that will help. And yes I know diet is the biggest factor in weight loss. I don’t need to hear it. I  working on that too. Stress has actually been my biggest adversary. So let please keep this to exercise and ways to make it fun, ideas on staying with it, and such.

Anonymous

The key to exercise is consistency. Get in some time every day that you can. For older people like myself, a half hour a day is a good baseline target.

The other thing I have come to appreciate is variety. Your body responds better to exercise if you mix things up a bit.

I’m sure you didn’t forget diet but you did not mention it.  I’m not talking about some strict or fad diet but just watching your intake. Don’t eat out, don’t eat processed foods, avoid sodas and other high sugar items, and if you drink cut back on alcohol or eliminate it altogether even if just on weeknights.

Read those packages, not all things are created equally.  There are low fat soups that have 65% of your sodium in one can.  I cut out drinking for a few weeks and dropped 20# last year.  I’ve gained some back since but just watching all of that made things relatively easy.

Evan Nine
      Duchess

I am in my early 50’s and I have been on and off with the gym.  Progress is slow because losing weight where I need to is very hard, my belly😢.  Keep a positive attitude and just keep going, I am cheering you on.

ps. Anyone have suggestions for a workout designed for a more girlish figure, always welcome advice.

hugs, Evan

[postquote quote=632386]

Thanks  no I didn’t mention it as while it’s related FOR ME I find that my diet gets much better when I exercise and take working out serious.  My body starts craving good food and lets me know when I eat junk. That said I don’t keep much junk in the house so while my diet could use some work it’s much better than many folks.

And no I don’t eat out that much.

So I’m trying to focus on exercise in this discussion.  And yes diet is part of the equation but so is rest (which I’m getting thanks to my CPAP) and other parts of a healthy life.

Fitness and diet are so key to maintaining a nice figure Tammy and both take a pretty fair amount of resolve and internal willpower. You mentioned stress as being a factor in your weight gain and that’s a key point that can’t be ignored.

I too have been a very active person my whole life. In my younger days I was a pretty decent runner and completed regularly in 5k and 10k races. I was a huge cycle enthusiast and rode a grest deal for pleasure and also in many long distance races and tours. I also spent a good amount of time working out in the gym to enhance my upper body.

I was quite the physical specimen in my ‘20s-‘40s but toward my ‘50s I had advanced in my career to the point where work hours were severely cutting into my free activity time. The stress at work also rose significantly which contributed to some unhealthy eating habits. I was quickly heading in the wrong direction fitness and weight wise and my self image plummeted along with my interest in dressing nicely in either male or femme mode.

What rescued me was a chance at an early retirement in my late ‘50s. I rethought many of life goals at that moment and grabbed the opportunity to take back control of my life. Once free from the stress and time demands of work, I reestablished most of the fitness activities and all of the good dietary practices of my youthful days. Over the course of three years I was to get “back in the pink” as much as anyone in their sixth decade could hope for.  And of course with the return to fitness so too came back my positive male and femme self image which served to strengthen my desires to fully live out both halves of my identity.

A key part of your return to fitness plan must include a way to eliminate or reduce as much stress in your life as you possibly can. The physical and especially the mental rewards from doing so will serve you well in achieving your immediate goals now and for your overall well being for the rest of your life.

Good luck and stick with it sister!

*** Kayla ***

Anonymous

Hi Tammy,

I’d suggest walking as a simple addition to anyone’s lifestyle. Find a nice location to walk in, and unless it’s up and down mountainsides, it’s a gentle way to get exercise into one’s life – and it’s a good way to let go of stress.

Marti xxx

[postquote quote=632395]

Thanks.  I do a daily walk with the dog.  Sometimes twice a day.  But am going to try and go for longer ones for both of our health.

Anonymous

– and of course you can dress as it pleases you.

Marti xxx

Good job Kim! I think weight reduction gets harder as you get older. I recommend finding a food plan that you can live with for a long time. Keto diet worked for me. And move! Whatever form of excercise you find enjoyable and can do on a regular basis, including walking, do it! Change up the routine every now and then. Finally, ask yourself “am I really hungry or am I eating out of boredom or stress?” Good luck!

– Robyn

I’m with you. I started doing it for my health but have been dressing more and now I want to look better in a dress.
      I’ve done keto before and you can lose a lot of weight quickly but it’s very easy to put it back on. I have been eating more like a diabetic would eat (watch the sugar and empty carbs) and have lost 25 to 30 lbs since the middle of January. It’s not falling off like on keto but I seem to be able to stick with it better.
      Now I need to start exercising to make myself healthier and maybe drop a few more pounds a little quicker.

Do some of your exercise and walking in heels! Seriously, that alone has toned my legs in a more feminine way than any amount of yoga I have done for most of my life. There is something about heels that just puts your body (shapes your body) in feminine form faster and more efficiently than any other form of exercise. Plus, it makes ya feel kinda sexy if you catch yourself in the seemingly required “workout mirror self check”!

Barb Wire
        Lady

Quite true, Carmen!

I do squats and dead-lifts in my 4.5″ heels!! I kid you not. Does wonders for my legs, ankles, back, and core!

At my age, I gotta worry about the dreaded “cankles” that would surely arrive if I didn’t work out! LOL!!

Barb 🙂

LOL! No no dear, don’t want dreaded “cankles”.

I kinda like the idea that a man can easily wrap their fingers around my ankles, hold them tight, lift them into the air, and… oooooops, sorry mods (ehem, Gabriella)… I wasn’t going anywhere with that thought, I promise… LMAO

… lift them into the air and… and… tickle my feet. That’s all.

Barb Wire
            Lady

I hope you don’t do any of that while you’re driving!

I’m very jealous…

:B

LMAO Barb. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, never while driving. Bahahaha. You’re so funny.

Barb Wire
            Lady

And you, Carmen, are a blessing in herguise!

It’s good to laugh, isn’t it? Laughter to me shows confidence and pride in who we really are.

:B

Totally agreed Barb. Absolutely.

Hi All,

In regard to diet, I began intermittent fasting (IF) about 9 months ago, the intention was not to lose weight but rather for all of the health benefits associated with this practice. The weight loss was a total bonus. I went from about 150 – 160 down to around 130 – 135 within 4 – 6 months, and as I said I did not do this for weight loss… the benefits that are documented on most websites are excellent. The undocumented and specific benefits about this for me, especially as a diagnosed celiac are the ability to go with out food for 16 to 20 hours without it causing me massive mood swings and becoming more and more emotionally unstable… I used to have to eat fairly regularly, my metabolism is or used to be very high, so my blood sugar was unstable, not sure how the (IF) affects that exactly but it does, I used to get the shakes and feel weak and as I said emotionally unstable, but now I rarely feel that way.
      BTW I also still have a junk food addiction, so I generally do not eat anything until around 4 I usually start with a healthy meal and ensure I am getting at least some good food into me, so one rather large meal and then some snacks for a bit of lounging and netflix.
      It is very important to start off slow and let your body guide you, I started doing a 16-8 which is 16 hours of no eating and then a 8 hour eating window… I am now generally doing a 18-6 or a 20-4 … The health benefits aside, as a separated individual this means less cooking, food prep, grocery shopping, eating out, and Dishes!!! I am not a health professional and none of this reply is intended to be advice of any kind just my own personal experience.

There is tons of information online about this and please consult your doctor or health care provider prior to embarking on such a journey 🙂

Lara Muir
      Baroness - Annual

Hi Tammy,

I find if I exercise regularly I am more likely to keep at it. Once I have 3 days to a week off it is harder to get back into it. Having different routines for each day makes it harder to get bored, and quit too.

I’m looking forward to warmer weather now to add some bike riding into the mix.

I hope you find your way to keep at it and enjoy it (at least somewhat.)

Lara xoxo

I think I have mentioned this before in the forum at some point of time but… drink plenty of water. I’m not going to state this time how much I drink, but it’s well above the regular suggestions you read online for average daily water drinking.

I DO know however, since I’ve been doing this consistently for many years now, that my metabolism is extremely high, I keep weight off no matter what I eat, my skin is softer than soft, I don’t have common skin problems, and my health checkups and physicals are always so dead on that my doctor always mentions my body operates better than patients half my age.

Now you may say it’s genetics, and that’s probably also correct. But I can also state, out of my entire immediate family, as well as my extended family (and I have an extremely large extended family), I’m the only one that drinks as much water as I do, and ALSO the only one who does not have any minor or major health issues, common skin issues, common aches and pains, that every single one of them experiences.

I can also add… I’m the only person in my work who has not taken a sick leave day for illness… in over 12 years.

Anonymous
        Lady

Carmen, I think you must be drinking from the Fountain of Youth

When I drink the amount of water the doc recommends, I’m in and out of the restroom all day.

Surprisingly, your body ends up regulating more efficiently (after a few weeks) and I end up never having that “omg, I gotta go pee” urgency anymore while I’m out and about. Yes, you’d the think the opposite would happen, but I’m actually surprised I actually go to the bathroom LESS in frequency.

HOWEVER, on the very RARE case I have a pepsi or something at lunch, yeah, that flows pretty quick! LOL. But I’ve replaced literally EVERY drink with water… that includes when I go out to eat at restaurants, etc. Saves money too.

Keep in mind too… going to the bathroom regularly flushes your system to get rid of toxins… so it’s not all bad (obviously as long as no other medical condition exists).

I guess I did not read that last part about diet!!
      Whoops sorry about that!!!…

ChloeC
      Duchess

Hi Tammy, ok, I’ll try to stay away from diet…well, until I offer some other suggestions.

First, when I get serious about losing weight, I head to a treadmill.  Prior to covid, I was going on average 4+ days a week to a gym and spending upto 45-50 minutes set at 3mph (whatever that is in km). When I wasn’t on the treadmill I’m often during the summer walking on a golf course.  I’m a very average player – for my age bracket – and I’ll probably never get better, but walking the 3000 (9 holes) to 7000 (18) yards (or more) over a 2-4 hour period is good exercise, and if you enjoy it all the better.

I do ride a bike in the summer (electric pedal assist) and I’m now out about 25 miles a ride, mostly using the assist for uphill climbs, but sometimes just to ease off after some serious pedaling.  My spouse also likes to take a daily walk – weather permitting  – around our neighborhood about .5-.8 mile, and if she can’t find neighbor friends which she often does, I’ll go with her.

So, it’s get out and physically do something. Hiking, I alpine ski in the winter – yeah, it’s downhill, but let me tell you, there is a lot of flat walking between the bottom and lifts or on top from the lifts to a decent slope, and lugging around all that weight does count for something.

Not particularly dieting, but water was mentioned.  I’m on the minimalist prescription for elevated blood pressure – hydrochlorothiazide – and what it does is remove water from the blood stream, like…constantly…and that water has to go somewhere, doesn’t it. So if I took the max recommended water intake as often encouraged, I’d never be able to leave the WC.  So, in moderation, and I think that’s the key to it all. Moderation and consistency. Don’t expect or even try for massive weight losses too quickly. Get on a diet or regimen and stick with it, even if you splurg a little here and there. That’s ok, as long as you stick to it.

I was up close to 200 lbs (tho it didn’t really look like it, but I knew it was there) about 2+ years ago, and doing the above and paying better attention to my diet, I’m down 25-30 pounds. And feel so much better.  Just keep at it, and it should work

Hugs, ChloeC

You sound really committed Tammy and that’s a great place to be.

You have a workout schedule as well. Excellent. I gather you are a member of a gym/fitness center so I suggest getting a personal trainer to help you achieve your goals.

The good news is that I suspect you will achieve those goals. I sense focus and determination.

All the best girl,

Diane

Anonymous
      Lady

I’m trying to lose a few pounds by simply not eating. I only eat one meal a day in the evening. No breakfast or lunch or even any snacks during the day and I drink only water. At supper I avoid sugar, bread, and carbs as much as possible within limits and eat only a normal portion of food. I’ve lost a few pounds but seem stuck at where I’m at now. Girls starve for fashion.. lol. My downfall comes from snacking at night while drinking… gotta stop snacking

I get it. I was in the same boat two years ago. I do it now for myself and my family. They need me and i need them. I am not vain and don’t flaunt it but i feel better about myself because of it. During Covid i was severely depressed and this helped.

1) now have a slight addiction to exercising and eating better. Once i started to lose weight i slept better, felt better, my femme clothes fit better. Rinse and repeat.

2) I walk daily to make it a routine before i start work. I just make it part of my day.

3) I drink lots of water. The body needs water to process and burn food/fat.

4) find outdoor activities (lawn, garden) or hobbies (woodworking, fishing, taking dance lessons with wife etc) to consume your thoughts, run your battery down and be away from food. When i am distracted i forget about eating.

5) when i am house bound due to schedule or weather, i find an indoor activity like watching a TV show or movie to distract while I’m exercising on a tread mill. It gives me a preset time/duration to work out: 1/2 or 1 hour for a TV show or 2-3 hours for movie. If it is a long series/show, i watch one episode a day.

6) Find someone to exercise with. I made a friend a couple blocks away that I walk with regularly. It keeps me honest and allows for good conversation. We challenge each other to keep on it due to camaraderie or guilt. Either way its a great motivator.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Jamie Taal.
      Anonymous

I just lost about 10 pounds last month by staying clear of several food additives and beverages.

Stay away AT ALL COSTS from ALL DIET Drinks and No Fat foods_____ Also Minimize Carb intake

Stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup (actually banned in some countries I believe). I’ll tell you now that sh-ts in everything.

THESE  THINGS FROM WHAT I READ_ CAUSE KILLER CRAVINGS TO EAT

I no longer get hungry, I can eat 2 potato chips and put the bag away. Moderation has become the norm and cravings are minimal.

The only soda I will drink in moderation is regular Sierra Mist that contains “real sugar”, there are literally no others “sodas” with real sugar out there.

I walk as often as possible and do crunches (mini sit-ups) to tighten belly muscles. Pretty damn painless and I see results. Hugs TERI

Anonymous

I can’t add much to the great comments already posted but…

What has helped me is keep a log of your exercise. I love the data I get from my watch. You’ll start to see trends and these are important from a point of over training.

If you see your resting heart rate increasing, you’re tired, etc, you may be over doing it. Start slow and add time not necessarily speed.

Also some weights could help. Muscle burns more energy and that’s good.

Once you get a baseline, you may want to change things up a bit. The body will acclimate to the level of physical stress and you will see improvement drop off.

I know you said no diet but I track my calories and limit myself to 1300/day. I do go off sometimes but on average I stay put. I eat when I’m hungry but don’t go crazy

In 2011, I was 300+ pounds and I’m 6’. I’m now at 185 and feel so much better.

I wish you the best of success

Erin

LOL!!!!

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?