Viewing 24 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

I find this is an issue with many of my tops.  Can anyone tell me if this look is still “in”?  Or was it ever in??

I have many wide V-necked tee shirts, and my non cowl necked sweaters have wide neck openings which often show a bra strap on one side or another, especially when I have my  bag hanging over my shoulder.  Yes, I do kinda like the look and showing it off, thank you very much, lol.  But, is this look still “cool”, or am I committing a fashion faux pas?   And does anyone else enjoy this look?  It may not be age appropriate for me, but I enjoy that young “sassy” look!  😁

Stevie

good question.  I’m kinda leaning towards the faux pas side, but I don’t know the rules about showing bra strap.

When buying blouses, I learned the hard way about boat necklines and narrow type necklines.   The boat necklines will show more shoulder which means bra strap.  The narrow type will keep things hidden.

I have a few cami tops and also 2 cami bras I always wear a cami top with one of the bras. They are certainly not age appropriate for me but I enjoy wearing them. The bra straps always show but since I don’t wear them outside of the house, it really doesn’t matter. I also have a lot of tank tops that usually hide my normal bra straps but occasionally a strap might be visible, in which case a deft adjustment with a thumb usually puts it back in place.  I don’t think it’s a big deal myself, I see bra straps showing on youngsters often when they are wearing camis.

https://www.aristelle.com/blogs/news/bra-strap-etiquette-the-chic-guide-to-showing-your-straps

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I’m going to say, this is up to the individual…

I will drop this little pill for the group to read and help everyone form their own opinions.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/92385-7-things-women-who-let-their-bra-straps-show-are-sick-of-hearing-so-leave-me#:~:text=Bra%20straps%20need%20not%20be,it%20is%20a%20big%20deal.

Have fun out there!

xoxo

Rayna

Denise Little
      Duchess - Annual

I never appreciated GG’s showing bra straps. I avoid boat necklines since they tend to make shoulders look wider, which I do not need. If straps show, especially with front attached bras and v neck tops, I will use surgical tape to move the strap our ward so it is covered.

A minor fashion infraction, nothing to be overly concerned about, unless of course you don’t want anybody to know you wear a bra, I’m talking generally here not specifically about you Stevie. Sometimes with low or open necks it’s hard to avoid the neckline slipping a bit from one side to the other.

Similar to a VPL, hey it happens, somebody may notice but meh, it is what it is.

B x

Zoe
      Lady

I know that I often have a bra strap showing. Whether I am committing a fashion indiscretion or not, I have no idea. I don’t mind the look and say like everything else, if it feels okay for you then do it.

I don’t know the proper etiquette for a woman. While I don’t generally wear a bra in male attire, I frequently wear some sort of camisole or body briefer that has straps similar to a bra. In summer months, tanks, feminine shirts, and tops with open collars often display the straps. When I dress androgynously, I sometimes intensionally place whatever straps so that they are slightly/subtly visible. Since I’m often wearing skinny jeans, heeled sandals, or fashion/jeweled belts, the visible strap is not unexpected. As I’ve grown older, dressing full-fem is increasingly difficult. And . . . I have found that in some environments, men in primarily feminine items (not skirts or dresses) like jeans, shorts, or even rompers or jumpsuits, are barely noticed or acknowledged. So, I like the straps!

FAM

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

Stevie,

In the spring & summer I often see women’s bra straps when I’m out and most don’t seem to really care. If I notice one of mine out of place I’ll fix it but I don’t dwell on it. But for non-casual stuff like dinner in a nice restaurant, seeing a play or more dressy occasions …etc I think bra straps should never show.

I actually like when my bra straps show! I love when i wear my cami tank tops and the straps show! However,there are certain times, when i am wearing certain dresses or tops that i do not like them to show. I don’t know if its the “in” thing to do, but everyone is doing it!❤️

Hi stevie i kind of like the look of showing them as not going out its a cheap way out but i like showing off ha ha ..

Stephanie

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

I’m “old school” at least when dressed and I would never let my bra straps show. The only exception would be a sheer blouse and either white or nude bra underneath… I think that can look quite feminine and classy.

I posted about this some time ago, under “Seasonal bras”. IE In winter I can wear one and not have it show. Ina hot Australian summer, just not on… But I enjoy seeing “real” females showing their straps cos then I can have a silent comment to myself on the colour and whether or not it goes with the rest of the outfit.

EG Red straps and black top…. Yuck!!

Caty.

I wear a bra every day and don’t like my straps to show.  I think that I tend to get unwanted attention if they show and then I’m not enjoying myself and tend to be less relaxed.  So, if I think that the mechanics of my straps will create a problem I will just wear a strapless bra.  Even though most of my tops are v’d or low cut, I prefer to keep people guessing about my intimates. That is unless they own a working pair of 1960’s Xray glasses and then I will contact the Smithsonian.  lol

Thanks Stevie for this supportive and colorful topic.     Marg

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

There was a time when visible bra straps were a faux pas.  I see women almost every day with bra straps showing.  To me, that’s the bellwether.  Whether or not it’s an “in” thing is irrelevant.

Tacky, in my opinion…

Nicola, never going to leave a bra strap out there hanging but admires and likes the girls who do, while loving a blouse that hints at the undeneath.

Roberta Broussard
      Duchess - Annual

I’m older so I don’t go out with anything underneath showing. However, it doesn’t bother me if something slips out a little. Shoulder bags are good at doing this with certain tops. My bras are all so pretty it no embarrassment at all when they get a little bit noticed.

Now on young girls, it just seems to go with their look to have the straps fully exposed.

Anonymous
      Lady

I think seeing bra straps is sexy especially if they are colorful or satin. Seems some women don’t care if they show and I don’t believe they should.

I under dress with a bra every day and know outlines show with some bras but I always try to hide the straps. With certain tops the straps will show a little at my neck if I’m not careful.

Hi Stevie,

After all, we make fashion ourselves.
      A cheeky, seemingly old-fashioned look can be the envy of those who can’t show that outfit, so be bold, each of us is entitled to our own walk on the red carpet!

XOXOX from Italy
      Greta ❤️

Anonymous

Exposed bra straps are less the ‘in’ or not fashion statement, more of an event and age kinda thing. While the taliban is not going to stone you in the Village Square for transgressions, some common sense helps blend in and enjoy life as a woman.

Flappers of the ’20 showed bra straps, the young and daring girls suggesting promiscuity. Mature ladies of the day would never do such a thing. Then as now days, cute bras with tiny straps on less than average weight girls are fine. Extra duty bras with padded shoulder straps should remain hidden.

Boatneck tops are designed to expose straps. Off the shoulder tops can be worn with both straps exposed, much better to wear a strapless bra, or none at all. Some women at any age would be embarrassed if a strap was showing, others enjoy giving admirers a peek. While the Trans or CD gal might like showing off that she’s wearing a bra, most women don’t care much. It’s just essential underwear.

If your straps continually fall off the shoulder or need to be taped in place, the straps need adjustment, or your bra is the wrong size.

Hugs, Eileen

Stevie Steiner
        Managing Ambassador

“Tiny straps on less than average weight girls are fine…”

Okay, that’s me!  Thank you, I’ll run with that! 🙂

Anonymous
      Lady

Hi Stevie.

Straps? How about the bra itself? Some bras are beautiful, lacy, and very feminine lingerie so why not show it off a little?

Recently I’ve heard that on the fashion runway, models are exposing the tops of their bras… just the pretty lacy top edges or even half of the cups. I know runway fashion is always over the top and don’t think anyone would ever expect to see this at their local grocery store, but curious to see if this trends into club fashion.

In summer a lot of girls wear tank tops and it is unavoidable not to show off the shoulder straps. It is something I still do with summer tops and esp tank tops. This is the only time I do it now but do have a black see thru blouse that I wear with a black bra underneath for special occasions

Ok so my muse and fashion consultant is my wonderful fiancé. She says showing bra straps is a no-no. She never let’s her straps be seen. She is modest as I am also. With that being said , I see lots of women every day with straps showing. Especially younger women. It’s like they don’t even care or have even a trace of modesty. These are also the girls wearing short shorts with their ass hanging out for all to see. I understand that some and quite possibly a lot of clothing will unfortunately reveal your bra straps to others accidentally.  I’m just not that gal trying to show them on purpose. If you see them accidentally well good for you. I wasn’t exposing myself to you. Wardrobe failure, my bad.

Jessica

I get the best fit from racerback bras so it’s hard not to have straps show. I do have a lovely black lace bandeau that I can wear when I don’t want visible straps.

I guess that I am a little old fashioned. All of the ladies in my family would never allow a strap to show. So I am inclined to be the same way. But I do like seeing a pretty colorful strap on some women.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?