- September 14, 2022 at 5:51 am #676614Stevie SteinerFounderRegistered On: June 11, 2020Topics: 88Replies: 1999Has thanked: 8847 timesBeen thanked: 10347 times
I find this is an issue with many of my tops. Can anyone tell me if this look is still “in”? Or was it ever in??
I have many wide V-necked tee shirts, and my non cowl necked sweaters have wide neck openings which often show a bra strap on one side or another, especially when I have my bag hanging over my shoulder. Yes, I do kinda like the look and showing it off, thank you very much, lol. But, is this look still “cool”, or am I committing a fashion faux pas? And does anyone else enjoy this look? It may not be age appropriate for me, but I enjoy that young “sassy” look! 😁
Total of 22 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
- November 17, 2022 at 12:59 pm #692508Allysa GrantLadyRegistered On: November 1, 2022Topics: 0Replies: 167Has thanked: 1315 timesBeen thanked: 616 times
I guess that I am a little old fashioned. All of the ladies in my family would never allow a strap to show. So I am inclined to be the same way. But I do like seeing a pretty colorful strap on some women.
- November 16, 2022 at 11:57 pm #692422Wanda OvahearRegistered On: October 19, 2022Topics: 6Replies: 245Has thanked: 1075 timesBeen thanked: 842 times
- November 16, 2022 at 11:09 pm #692416Jessica WildeLadyRegistered On: October 5, 2020Topics: 41Replies: 184Has thanked: 221 timesBeen thanked: 1558 times
Ok so my muse and fashion consultant is my wonderful fiancé. She says showing bra straps is a no-no. She never let’s her straps be seen. She is modest as I am also. With that being said , I see lots of women every day with straps showing. Especially younger women. It’s like they don’t even care or have even a trace of modesty. These are also the girls wearing short shorts with their ass hanging out for all to see. I understand that some and quite possibly a lot of clothing will unfortunately reveal your bra straps to others accidentally. I’m just not that gal trying to show them on purpose. If you see them accidentally well good for you. I wasn’t exposing myself to you. Wardrobe failure, my bad.
- This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Jessica Wilde.
- September 24, 2022 at 7:59 am #678718Deborah SullivanLadyRegistered On: February 27, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 990Has thanked: 4867 timesBeen thanked: 4321 times
In summer a lot of girls wear tank tops and it is unavoidable not to show off the shoulder straps. It is something I still do with summer tops and esp tank tops. This is the only time I do it now but do have a black see thru blouse that I wear with a black bra underneath for special occasions
- September 24, 2022 at 7:41 am #678712Michelle McQueenLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 29Replies: 1651Has thanked: 11291 timesBeen thanked: 8235 times
Straps? How about the bra itself? Some bras are beautiful, lacy, and very feminine lingerie so why not show it off a little?
Recently I’ve heard that on the fashion runway, models are exposing the tops of their bras… just the pretty lacy top edges or even half of the cups. I know runway fashion is always over the top and don’t think anyone would ever expect to see this at their local grocery store, but curious to see if this trends into club fashion.
- September 24, 2022 at 6:12 am #678695Eileen BachBaronessRegistered On: February 27, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 442Has thanked: 223 timesBeen thanked: 1774 times
Exposed bra straps are less the ‘in’ or not fashion statement, more of an event and age kinda thing. While the taliban is not going to stone you in the Village Square for transgressions, some common sense helps blend in and enjoy life as a woman.
Flappers of the ’20 showed bra straps, the young and daring girls suggesting promiscuity. Mature ladies of the day would never do such a thing. Then as now days, cute bras with tiny straps on less than average weight girls are fine. Extra duty bras with padded shoulder straps should remain hidden.
Boatneck tops are designed to expose straps. Off the shoulder tops can be worn with both straps exposed, much better to wear a strapless bra, or none at all. Some women at any age would be embarrassed if a strap was showing, others enjoy giving admirers a peek. While the Trans or CD gal might like showing off that she’s wearing a bra, most women don’t care much. It’s just essential underwear.
If your straps continually fall off the shoulder or need to be taped in place, the straps need adjustment, or your bra is the wrong size.
- September 15, 2022 at 8:50 am #676810Greta La FolleLadyRegistered On: August 6, 2022Topics: 6Replies: 296Has thanked: 593 timesBeen thanked: 1075 times
After all, we make fashion ourselves.
A cheeky, seemingly old-fashioned look can be the envy of those who can’t show that outfit, so be bold, each of us is entitled to our own walk on the red carpet!
XOXOX from Italy
- September 15, 2022 at 5:57 am #676776Michelle McQueenLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 29Replies: 1651Has thanked: 11291 timesBeen thanked: 8235 times
I think seeing bra straps is sexy especially if they are colorful or satin. Seems some women don’t care if they show and I don’t believe they should.
I under dress with a bra every day and know outlines show with some bras but I always try to hide the straps. With certain tops the straps will show a little at my neck if I’m not careful.
- September 15, 2022 at 1:56 am #676763Roberta BroussardBaronessRegistered On: July 20, 2020Topics: 5Replies: 402Has thanked: 5325 timesBeen thanked: 1960 times
I’m older so I don’t go out with anything underneath showing. However, it doesn’t bother me if something slips out a little. Shoulder bags are good at doing this with certain tops. My bras are all so pretty it no embarrassment at all when they get a little bit noticed.
Now on young girls, it just seems to go with their look to have the straps fully exposed.
- September 15, 2022 at 12:41 am #676757Nicola De AuvergneLadyRegistered On: November 29, 2020Topics: 1Replies: 137Has thanked: 149 timesBeen thanked: 403 times
Nicola, never going to leave a bra strap out there hanging but admires and likes the girls who do, while loving a blouse that hints at the undeneath.
- September 14, 2022 at 11:49 pm #676756
- September 14, 2022 at 9:44 pm #676746Emily AltHostessRegistered On: August 24, 2019Topics: 22Replies: 1055Has thanked: 1086 timesBeen thanked: 5196 times
There was a time when visible bra straps were a faux pas. I see women almost every day with bra straps showing. To me, that’s the bellwether. Whether or not it’s an “in” thing is irrelevant.
- September 14, 2022 at 7:25 pm #676735Marg ProdueLadyRegistered On: March 16, 2022Topics: 0Replies: 252Has thanked: 1016 timesBeen thanked: 942 times
I wear a bra every day and don’t like my straps to show. I think that I tend to get unwanted attention if they show and then I’m not enjoying myself and tend to be less relaxed. So, if I think that the mechanics of my straps will create a problem I will just wear a strapless bra. Even though most of my tops are v’d or low cut, I prefer to keep people guessing about my intimates. That is unless they own a working pair of 1960’s Xray glasses and then I will contact the Smithsonian. lol
Thanks Stevie for this supportive and colorful topic. Marg
- September 14, 2022 at 7:14 pm #676732Caty RyanBaronessRegistered On: August 27, 2017Topics: 124Replies: 1128Has thanked: 8 timesBeen thanked: 4610 times
I’m “old school” at least when dressed and I would never let my bra straps show. The only exception would be a sheer blouse and either white or nude bra underneath… I think that can look quite feminine and classy.
I posted about this some time ago, under “Seasonal bras”. IE In winter I can wear one and not have it show. Ina hot Australian summer, just not on… But I enjoy seeing “real” females showing their straps cos then I can have a silent comment to myself on the colour and whether or not it goes with the rest of the outfit.
EG Red straps and black top…. Yuck!!
- September 14, 2022 at 6:53 pm #676728Stephanie BassHostessRegistered On: November 30, 2019Topics: 27Replies: 4187Has thanked: 60046 timesBeen thanked: 14985 times
- September 14, 2022 at 1:54 pm #676705Julianna FrancesLadyRegistered On: July 29, 2022Topics: 3Replies: 72Has thanked: 24 timesBeen thanked: 339 times
I actually like when my bra straps show! I love when i wear my cami tank tops and the straps show! However,there are certain times, when i am wearing certain dresses or tops that i do not like them to show. I don’t know if its the “in” thing to do, but everyone is doing it!❤️
- September 14, 2022 at 1:43 pm #676703Fiona BlackLadyRegistered On: November 23, 2019Topics: 0Replies: 282Has thanked: 150 timesBeen thanked: 1161 times
In the spring & summer I often see women’s bra straps when I’m out and most don’t seem to really care. If I notice one of mine out of place I’ll fix it but I don’t dwell on it. But for non-casual stuff like dinner in a nice restaurant, seeing a play or more dressy occasions …etc I think bra straps should never show.
- September 14, 2022 at 1:31 pm #676701Falecia McGuireLadyRegistered On: January 11, 2019Topics: 12Replies: 191Has thanked: 334 timesBeen thanked: 1124 times
I don’t know the proper etiquette for a woman. While I don’t generally wear a bra in male attire, I frequently wear some sort of camisole or body briefer that has straps similar to a bra. In summer months, tanks, feminine shirts, and tops with open collars often display the straps. When I dress androgynously, I sometimes intensionally place whatever straps so that they are slightly/subtly visible. Since I’m often wearing skinny jeans, heeled sandals, or fashion/jeweled belts, the visible strap is not unexpected. As I’ve grown older, dressing full-fem is increasingly difficult. And . . . I have found that in some environments, men in primarily feminine items (not skirts or dresses) like jeans, shorts, or even rompers or jumpsuits, are barely noticed or acknowledged. So, I like the straps!
- September 14, 2022 at 12:41 pm #676698ZoeLadyRegistered On: December 13, 2020Topics: 1Replies: 84Has thanked: 148 timesBeen thanked: 377 times
I know that I often have a bra strap showing. Whether I am committing a fashion indiscretion or not, I have no idea. I don’t mind the look and say like everything else, if it feels okay for you then do it.
- September 14, 2022 at 10:33 am #676684Bianca EverdeneLadyRegistered On: April 11, 2017Topics: 31Replies: 988Has thanked: 4170 timesBeen thanked: 4318 times
A minor fashion infraction, nothing to be overly concerned about, unless of course you don’t want anybody to know you wear a bra, I’m talking generally here not specifically about you Stevie. Sometimes with low or open necks it’s hard to avoid the neckline slipping a bit from one side to the other.
Similar to a VPL, hey it happens, somebody may notice but meh, it is what it is.
- September 14, 2022 at 9:56 am #676673Denise LittleDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: August 10, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 55Has thanked: 111 timesBeen thanked: 212 times
I never appreciated GG’s showing bra straps. I avoid boat necklines since they tend to make shoulders look wider, which I do not need. If straps show, especially with front attached bras and v neck tops, I will use surgical tape to move the strap our ward so it is covered.
- September 14, 2022 at 9:23 am #676668Rayna CarlianDuchessRegistered On: March 4, 2020Topics: 3Replies: 484Has thanked: 616 timesBeen thanked: 1771 times
I’m going to say, this is up to the individual…
I will drop this little pill for the group to read and help everyone form their own opinions.
Have fun out there!
- September 14, 2022 at 12:10 pm #676696
- September 14, 2022 at 9:03 am #676665Michaela JaneLadyRegistered On: December 9, 2016Topics: 31Replies: 455Has thanked: 601 timesBeen thanked: 1358 times
I have a few cami tops and also 2 cami bras I always wear a cami top with one of the bras. They are certainly not age appropriate for me but I enjoy wearing them. The bra straps always show but since I don’t wear them outside of the house, it really doesn’t matter. I also have a lot of tank tops that usually hide my normal bra straps but occasionally a strap might be visible, in which case a deft adjustment with a thumb usually puts it back in place. I don’t think it’s a big deal myself, I see bra straps showing on youngsters often when they are wearing camis.
- September 14, 2022 at 6:36 am #676622Wendy SwiftLadyRegistered On: May 11, 2020Topics: 12Replies: 883Has thanked: 958 timesBeen thanked: 4015 times
good question. I’m kinda leaning towards the faux pas side, but I don’t know the rules about showing bra strap.
When buying blouses, I learned the hard way about boat necklines and narrow type necklines. The boat necklines will show more shoulder which means bra strap. The narrow type will keep things hidden.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.