- April 21, 2021 at 1:05 am #481791Grace ScarlettParticipantRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 65Replies: 1348Has thanked: 4816 timesBeen thanked: 7379 times
Morning from Grace Central….
It’s all over the BBC news today in England…..
During the year in lockdown….with nowhere to go and everywhere closed…..G.G’s have gone bananas over slouchy, bright coloured leisure wear….
Sales of fashionable clothes and heels are down….
Girls interviewed up and down the country were saying how they have gone back to tracksuits, ELASTICATED WAISTBANDS!!!, jogging bottoms, loose jumpers, flat shoes etc……TV showed what some girls were wearing out and about….some of it wasn’t pretty….( in my opinion )….
one woman interviewed said she had been wearing pyjamas for virtually a year…..( I’m guessing it wasn’t the same pair!!! )
no wonder it’s hard to fit in when we go out!!!…..I was trying to imagine some of you girls in fluorescent orange shell suits, shiny gold onesies and oversized baggy loose hoodies….and it wasn’t working…..( well, not on most of you…haha )
Obviously this will probably change when the world re opens….but does that mean all this ” stuff” will end up in charity shops…..noooooooo
What do you think?????
Total of 24 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
- April 24, 2021 at 6:27 pm #483583LeaLadyRegistered On: March 23, 2016Topics: 62Replies: 209Has thanked: 218 timesBeen thanked: 784 times
I’m sad to see GGs start to skip trendy, cute, feminine fashions and go sloppy. Maybe the new men’s fashion should be “uncomfortably feminine”… blouses, bras, skirts, dresses, pantyhose, heels, all the items women complain about. If they are done wearing it, time for us CDs to be fashionably accepted.
- April 24, 2021 at 6:05 pm #483570LeslieLadyRegistered On: September 14, 2020Topics: 17Replies: 192Has thanked: 1589 timesBeen thanked: 869 times
I can not recall seeing a properly dressed GG in my neighborhood for years, well I do have to make an exception for my daughter (she gets her taste and style from me) she only wears things that fit and that look good on her. She even dresses when she is in the house (can’t say what she wears at her boyfriend’s place and I am pretty sure I don’t want to know).
The only place I’ve been in the last year where the GG’s were dressed is when I go to get my hair styled, and they kind of have to.
I do have to admit that the neighborhood GG’s don’t quiet dress for Walmart but they do tend to more look like 12 year old boys. Not a look I like.
And yes Grace you always look lovely in your pictures.
- This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Leslie.
- April 25, 2021 at 2:00 am #483647
- April 24, 2021 at 4:03 pm #483533Michelle TrottDuchessRegistered On: April 7, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 131Has thanked: 290 timesBeen thanked: 536 times
I smiled reading all of these posts. I do agree. I think us girls definitely dress better than the average girl. I can not imagine what goes thru someone’s mind when I cross their paths in Walmart. Eleven in the mourning. Forgot the hair brush. Put on the wrong sweats. Must have because they are really three sizes too big. And where did I hide my shoes. No worry. I have these lovely bedroom slippers just waiting to go outside. Lucky I have this top to wear. The one I got when I was pregnant.Four years ago. It’s still kind or cute isn’t it? Yes you girls set the standard too high for some people. I still loved all of your posts on this topic. Still smiling.
- April 24, 2021 at 11:05 am #483434Carolyne ShermanBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 20, 2018Topics: 8Replies: 367Has thanked: 174 timesBeen thanked: 1179 times
Grace you have personally caused me much despair and pain with this post. I have a beautiful collection of nice designer shoes, dresses and outfits as well as some very nice jewelry, and now I find out I should have been hitting up the homeless shelters for sweats??? I was always taught a lady was supposed to look nice and proper and now you come along to inform me of my evil sexist and outdated ideas. I’m to embarrassed to donate my wardrobe to charity finding it is “outdated” so I guess I will sneak by a dumpster in the middle of the night in a black pair of sweats and a ski mask to dump it all. The horror of my ways.
I still think my Grandmother had it right… You can never overdress, others just underdress! She was a proper old school Southern Lady and, gasp, even wore hose and dresses just for going to town for groceries. Maybe I won’t throw that baby out with the bathwater, I just love my non-fashion conscientious out dated and overdressed style a little too much!
I do agree that maybe we are the last bastion of proper femininity and keeping the fashion industry afloat. They better appreciate us! Hope your well?
- April 24, 2021 at 2:47 pm #483504Kathleen 60454LadyRegistered On: January 8, 2020Topics: 50Replies: 474Has thanked: 2152 timesBeen thanked: 1769 times
Don’t feel bad my ex-SO’s style was atrocious. She was 5’1″ and she wore sweats with the US Army insignia most days that were 20 plus years old and 4-5 sizes too big for her. She had absolutely no, nada, zilch tast for fashion or style. This is only a minor reason she is part of the reason that she is an ex.
I had bought her slacks, blouses and tops in her correct sizes but she would only wear them when she had to see her attorney or go to court for her divorce. I had a load of dresses, skirts, tops and blouses that were her size but she wouldn’t wear them. Newer and modern.
Kathleen xxxxx 💋♥
- April 24, 2021 at 8:11 pm #483607Carolyne ShermanBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 20, 2018Topics: 8Replies: 367Has thanked: 174 timesBeen thanked: 1179 times
- April 25, 2021 at 4:01 am #483695Kathleen 60454LadyRegistered On: January 8, 2020Topics: 50Replies: 474Has thanked: 2152 timesBeen thanked: 1769 times
That was only part of the problem. There was way too much more. I could write an encyclopedia about it.
Kathleen xxxxx 💋♥
1 user thanked author for this post.
- April 24, 2021 at 11:50 am #483446Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 65Replies: 1348Has thanked: 4816 timesBeen thanked: 7379 times
I’m fine thank you honey…
That’s very funny….you in a ski mask at midnight, forcing dresses into a dumpster!!!! …….love a picture of that!!!…
believe me, I’m aghast too…if anybody sees me in a tracksuit or a hoodie…yikes….shoot me!!!
anyone who has seen my pics, will know I can be……mmm….bright???.
Huggs, grace xx
- April 23, 2021 at 4:36 am #482610Bridgette VonSmirffLadyRegistered On: October 18, 2020Topics: 29Replies: 899Has thanked: 12624 timesBeen thanked: 3339 times
I’ve seen GGs in stores for a long time in their PJ’S, and that’s bad enough, but more recently I’ve seen girls… big girls… wearing what I can only describe as a “onesie” with ruched sides, bust, and rear to accent every already overstated curve, and ensure that only a thong could be worn… or go commando. And they also always seem to choose to wear one that is clearly at least two sizes too small…
My wife cringes every time she sees one. I think to myself how comfortable you’d have to be in your skin to want to show that much…er…spare flesh wobbling about?
- This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Bridgette VonSmirff. Reason: #$$%& autocorrect
- April 22, 2021 at 6:13 pm #482488Olivia LivinLadyRegistered On: October 22, 2018Topics: 47Replies: 1620Has thanked: 8016 timesBeen thanked: 4300 times
The world at large should be sincerely thanking us, for showing the beauty a little effort can produce and the smiles it can bring even when performing the most mundane of errands….groceries. Let us continue to be that beacon of light, higher civility and good taste, at least as we see it😉
- April 22, 2021 at 5:54 pm #482476Polly StewartLadyRegistered On: January 2, 2021Topics: 12Replies: 933Has thanked: 1321 timesBeen thanked: 3171 times
Ohh, dear… NO! Grace, it’s the end of the world! Says Polly sitting at her desk in cerise yoga pants and a bright yellow tank-top! Ohh, and don’t my mention jandals (flip flops for the uninitiated)…
I think I’d better go and change into something more formal after that news!
- April 22, 2021 at 5:48 pm #482475Gabriela RomaniManaging AmbassadorRegistered On: January 11, 2021Topics: 84Replies: 165Has thanked: 125 timesBeen thanked: 786 times
- April 22, 2021 at 5:42 pm #482471Denise DouglasDuchessRegistered On: January 27, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 88Has thanked: 371 timesBeen thanked: 275 times
- April 22, 2021 at 7:58 am #482311KristaDuchessRegistered On: January 24, 2017Topics: 8Replies: 569Has thanked: 1509 timesBeen thanked: 2535 times
Good Morning Grace,
For the life of me, I can’t recall the last time I saw (in person) a woman wearing a dress. Now mind you, here in NW Canada, our weather is such that wearing a dress can be impractical. Yesterday we had another 6 to 8 cms of snow, and I just looked out the window and it is still snowing (albeit lightly). The forecast for nicer temperatures is not until the middle of next week. But I refuse to bring my snow boots back out from the basement storage. And of course, I changed my tires yesterday morning from snow tires to summer tires. Ahh, but this is all going to melt soon enough. Good for the farmer’s dugouts to fill them up. I digress as usual.
Back to fashion. Here in Canada, casual fashion has always been in style. You’ve heard that the Canadian tuxedo is a matching denim jacket with denim pants. And in the west, it’s cowboy boots to go along with that. At least the gals dress up nicely for special events but not too many of those in a long time. I’m guessing there will be a pent up demand to dress a bit better but I can only judge by the trips to the grocery store as I don’t go into offices much since retiring. Oh, and my spouse has been much in favour of slouchy fashion for a very long time. Although she very much hates hearing this, she wears the pants in the family. Don’t mention to her that I wrote this, gosh I will be in the doghouse for a long time. All the Best, Hugs, Krista.
- April 23, 2021 at 8:22 am #482671Bettylou CoxDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 20Replies: 2094Has thanked: 4170 timesBeen thanked: 7494 times
Krista wrote: “ You’ve heard that the Canadian tuxedo is a matching denim jacket with denim pants. Much the same in Texas, Krista; and semi-formal is “wearing your clean jeans”. I was that way before Bettylou; now, I “dress purty” as much as I can. Where would the fashion world be without CDs?
- April 22, 2021 at 7:38 am #482304
- April 22, 2021 at 4:37 am #482241LadyRegistered On: January 8, 2020Topics: 50Replies: 474Has thanked: 2152 timesBeen thanked: 1769 times
Well Grace, now you went and did it. I don’t know how but you did. Somehow and someway you got a look into my ex-SO closet and saw what she has been wearing for at least the last three years ever since we got back together.
All she ever wore, 99% of the time, was baggy, sloppy oversized sweat pants and baggy oversized, sloppy sweat shirts. I would constantly remark that her taste in fashion was not the most fashionable or flattering
When I say oversized I mean 4 or 5 sizes to big for her. The only time she would wear something respectable and in her size was when she had to meet her lawyer or go to court regarding her divorce.
I had bought her descent tops and slacks, in her size, but they just hung in the closet and she didn’t wear them. I even told her that she could wear any of my dresses, skirts an tops that she wanted anytime but in three years I can only remember one time that she wore one my dresses and then it was only in the apartment. BTW most of my female clothes was her size.
Again I don’t know how you did it but you took a peek into her side of the closet and you didn’t even stop and say hello to Kathleen.
Kathleen xxxxx 💋♥💋❤
- This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Kathleen 60454.
- This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Kathleen 60454.
- This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Kathleen 60454.
- April 22, 2021 at 7:28 am #482299Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 65Replies: 1348Has thanked: 4816 timesBeen thanked: 7379 times
I can only say how sorry I am….
I sneaked in and opened the closet and this avalanche of smelly tracksuits totally engulfed me….I was buried alive in…..DRAB!!!….I managed to dial 911 and woke up in an ambulance….I was flown home immediately to avoid an international ” fashion incident”!!!!!….
so glad you have explained…..I didn’t think it could be your clothes…..and don’t worry, apart from the odd nightmare….I think I’m getting better…..
Smiles, grace xxxx
- April 22, 2021 at 7:52 am #482308
- April 21, 2021 at 8:07 pm #482146Amy MyersBaronessRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 16Replies: 1322Has thanked: 3794 timesBeen thanked: 3688 times
I have no idea how accurate that is for Canada, but I can say that I have many women, usually young ones wearing PJ’s in public. I do think it is beyond tacky, but I guess it’s a fashion these days.
Give me a nice dress or a mini skirt and pantyhose any day!
- April 25, 2021 at 12:23 pm #483882LadyRegistered On: January 8, 2020Topics: 50Replies: 474Has thanked: 2152 timesBeen thanked: 1769 times
I’m with you Amy mini skirts & tops or blouses or mini dress. I’m 76 and I have been told by several women that I have Great looking legs and to show them off. So I do every chance I get and I am proud to show them off.
Kathleen xxxxx 💋♥
1 user thanked author for this post.
- April 22, 2021 at 12:40 am #482180Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 65Replies: 1348Has thanked: 4816 timesBeen thanked: 7379 times
- April 21, 2021 at 5:57 pm #482104Eileen BachBaronessRegistered On: February 27, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 59Has thanked: 8 timesBeen thanked: 243 times
A woman’s biggest fashion critic is other women. Dressing like a slob is not acceptable.
Shame on those who wear sleepwear in public. Is there no pride in how they look?
- April 21, 2021 at 5:56 pm #482103Denise DouglasDuchessRegistered On: January 27, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 88Has thanked: 371 timesBeen thanked: 275 times
While I do love put on a dress and heels, I must say I am embracing the casual look. My go to look is leggings, booties or cute sneakers, and a tunic (probably tighter than most GGs wear tho!). Try it, you might like it!
And try some skinny jeans, they are awesome!
I did just just buy a red cocktail dress, so maybe the trend will reverse!
- April 22, 2021 at 12:42 am #482181
- April 21, 2021 at 5:53 am #481878DuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 20Replies: 2094Has thanked: 4170 timesBeen thanked: 7494 times
That’s what I call a sad story, and I hope the trend reverses. We seem to be going in the opposite direction, here. For the past year, I’ve bemoaned the fact that the GGs have all been wearing jeans and sweats, so if I Dressed, it was like wearing a sign, “CD here”.
But dresses are coming back into fashion! I see them everywhere – in church, when grocery shopping, and in all the stores and in advertising. I recently bought 5 for myself, and I can’t wait to show them off in public.
- April 21, 2021 at 6:56 am #481893
- April 21, 2021 at 5:40 am #481871LisaTLadyRegistered On: January 31, 2021Topics: 48Replies: 536Has thanked: 414 timesBeen thanked: 2488 times
Wow I’m right up with the trend, quelle surprise! Yesterday I was out walking with “she who must be obeyed” in blue patterned harem pants and a nice loose top with medium sized forms. Only one problem for those who are wanting to appear definitely femme, without tucking the boys were definitely on show which of course made her very happy.
- April 21, 2021 at 5:28 am #481865stephanie plumbBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 17, 2018Topics: 152Replies: 2065Has thanked: 3297 timesBeen thanked: 9584 times
I am sure you are right Grace.
But I do have some personal evidence that slouch might be on it’s way out.
My wife just bought some new shoes, blouses and tops in anticipation of going back into the office for at least a couple of days a week. And she is planning some shopping trips.
Once the furlough scheme ends for good I am sure employers are going to want to get the staff back to work, especially as they will be footing the entire wage bill again. Women’s vanity will not allow them to go back in wearing their winter slouch wardrobe.
And last years spring fashions are no longer trendy – so off to the shops it will be. There are lots of new ads for spring and summer dresses on the telly. Very exciting! I want them all!
As the weather improves that may well make a difference too.
Hugs Steph xx
- April 21, 2021 at 4:44 am #481839Samantha JoanChat HostessRegistered On: November 17, 2019Topics: 16Replies: 101Has thanked: 455 timesBeen thanked: 388 times
Hope you are well.
I saw that story this morning. Trinny did look amazing in her blue.
Was looking at skinny jeans recently as well. I do like the look of the over-sized jumpers and jeans but don’t have anything “baggy” yet..
Time to do some shopping me thinks…
Samantha x x x
- April 21, 2021 at 1:25 am #481795Rachel HayesLadyRegistered On: January 20, 2021Topics: 8Replies: 136Has thanked: 579 timesBeen thanked: 699 times
I’ve seen the same articles, TV clippings and I kinda get it. Lockdowns have taken a toll on us all and if everything is closed, what is there for GG’s to make an effort for.
In drab, I’m hardly what one would call ‘trendy’ or ‘fashionable’ and tend to wear either what’s comfortable or what I think looks good (I had VERY mixed reactions to my pinstripe suit hehe).
However, en femme, I make an effort to look as good as I can (within the confines of home ‘restrictions’) and take time to make sure my bra and panties look pretty, my skirt is the perfect length, should I wear a vest top or a cami. I put lots more thought into it and I haven’t even left the house yet *giggles*
I really hope that as the world starts get back to something resembling normality, that female fashion does the same. Primark are reporting pre-covid sales already so that’s encouraging.
Where else will I get outfit ideas from? Hehe.
Last time I tried to donate 11 black bags worth of clothes (my drab stuff plus wife’s cast offs) the charity shop refused them saying they were overloaded so I went to a clothes bank and got 50p/kilo so I think it’s more likely that eBay will be flooded with ‘slouchwear’ than the local Oxfam unfortunately.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.