Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

There’s a lot to like about each of these movies. “Charley’s Aunt” has a rich history going back to the 1930 stage play. There’s a musical version, “Where’s Charley?” in which Ray Bolger (The Wizard of Oz) starred and sang “Once in Love With Amy”.

“Some Like it Hot” has top direction from Billy Wilder, a smart, funny script by Wilder and I. A. L. Diamond, and three of Hollywood’s best in the leads.

“Victor/Victoria” also has top talent on both sides of the camera, is a lot of fun, and has a good message without being preachy.

The last can be said for the other two films as well. Michael Dorsey’s inner transformation brought about by working as a woman certainly adds a lot of depth to the very funny “Tootsie”.

“Connie and Carla” is a gem from Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) who scripted an co-stars with Toni Collette (Muriel’s Wedding). The plot blends elements of “Some Like it Hot” and “Victor/Victoria” with some twists of its own. David Duchovny (Californication) is both Vardalos’ love interest and part of a very touching subplot.

Both of these I’ve seen I’ve thoroughly enjoyed, so I may well have a newly-expanded watchlist and it’s all your fault!

In the end I had to go with the all-time classic.  A bit predictable but there’s a reason Some Like it Hot has maintained its popularity through close to a century of cinematography.  A bit (okay, more than a bit) campy but that all-star cast makes it work beautifully.

Tootsie being the other I’ve seen… again, a classic and perhaps a touch more serious in terms of addressing gender expression and identity while still maintaining the lighthearted comedy approach which (let’s be honest) for much of cinema’s history was the only way you got away with representing these things on film.

It’s interesting to see Duchovny turn up in this context after his memorable portrayal of a crossdresser in the original Twin Peaks, I’m very intrigued.

Angela Booth
      Hostess

Being from the U.K. my one would be the black and white film, St Trinians from the 50’s.   Alastair Sim played Miss Fritton the Headmistress in a very convincing portrayal of a frumpy female. It worked for me on another level as I would love to have worn the school uniforms the girls wore.

Another was from 1972, ‘Our Miss Fred’ a film in which Danny La Rue played a wartime army concert entertainer. He played in drag and was captured by the Germans dressed and his dressing in a variety of glamorous outfits helped him to escape.

The later St.Trinians films made the mistake of focusing too much on the sexy Sixth Formers to the detriment of the comedy. I always found the mad little Fourth Formers to be the hilarious ones!

And Alistair Sim was one of our greats. x

Loves me some Alistair Sim, he’s my favorite Scrooge!

Roberta Broussard
      Duchess - Annual

This is off the point. While reading this i was reminded of a movie with Tony Curtis titled “Goodbye Charlie”. It was based on a gender swap. I thought it was a very funny and kept alive many daydreams for me.

I love Goodbye Charlie! Since the transformation is imposed by karmic retribution, not choice, I didn’t think it quite fit for this poll.

Hi Wanda
      I voted other there are two stand out movies for me.
      Breakfast on Pluto with Cillian Murphy
      The Crying Game with Jaye Davidson
      Both are brilliant films
      Sarah xx

Anonymous

I loved Tootsie because Dustin Hoffmann character got a job as an actress and even went on a date with a man.  The reveal at the end of the movie was fun to watch.

Some Like It Hot is one of my favourite comedies and Billy Wilder one of my favourite directors. There have been two Christmas Days when it’s been on TV and I’ve got the family to watch it. Hey, that’s because it’s great entertainment…  I’m not trying to tell them I’m… er… Oh, never mind.

Hi Wanda i voted for Some Like It Hot, 3 of the best actor’s made it a classic film 🎥,

Hugs Rozalyn X

For “Some Like it Hot” fans, check out Curtis and Lemmon’s reteaming in “The Great Race”. I saw it when it came out and many times since but only recently noticed a quick shot of Lemmon dancing with a guy! A nod from director Blake Edwards (Victor/Victoria) to Wilder’s movie.

It’s also an hilarious flick.

I’m torn between Some Like it Hot and Tootsie. I love them both! Billy Wilder is a genius and SLIH might be one of the best comedies of all time, but I grew up in the 80s and have such fond memories of seeing Tootsie at just the right age. The fashions in both films hit a sweet spot for me, so it’s a toss-up.

Hi Wanda,  I voted for Connie and Carla.  It’s my wife’s favorite and we usually watch it about 4 times a year.  Thanks for this fun topic.  Marg

The Danish Girl – 2015

I watched “Just Like a Woman”. I loved it. Tootsie, ans some like it hot were good. I think JL a W showed the what the thoughts of some narrow minded people think!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?