• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by J J.
Viewing 15 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Went shopping in drab at a Torrid in a northeastern city today that has an open LGTBQ community and is very progressive. It was my first time at this store. I entered the store, ready for the first time to say the clothes were for me (they’ve always been a “gift” for my wife). Anyway, I enter the store, and a clerk says hi to me, but nobody offers me any help. Soon after I entered 2 GGs entered and the same clerk asks them what they’re looking for (dresses for a wedding), and the clerk tells them they have a bunch of dresses right now, it’s buy one get one 50% off, there’s a bunch of $3 clearance panties, etc.

I knew what I was looking for from the website. Ended up buying a pair of jeggings, a cute blouse, a bralette, and 3 pairs of panties. But nobody ever came to me and asked if I needed help. The same clerk who greeted me when I came in checked me out. She was pleasant enough ($124 purchase will do that). Luckily everything fit perfectly since I know my sizes in Torrid, because I never even was given the option of trying anything on.

Hi Elizabeth,

I’ve visited Torrid and had multiple wonderful experiences with their associates.  Did you ask the associate if you might try on your purchase?  She may have warmed up to you after a request for a changing room.

By all means answer the Torrid survey.  The web address is on your receipt.  The corporate policy is fairness for all.  Tell them your honest impression.  There is a line asking for your email in the event they need to contact you.  And they ask about your associate.  Her associate number is on the receipt.  You’ll receive a code after you submit the on line survey and can use it for another 10% discount.  And there is no expiration.

Alice

Good suggestion. This was my first time in a Torrid not “shopping for my wife” and I was going to need a push to try something on. When I last went shopping a couple months ago in a different store I had younger associates who I’m pretty sure knew I was shopping for me – and they were super helpful – telling me if I bought another pair of panties I’d get 2 more free, etc. This was an older associate, probably in her 50s or 60s. I just think she wasn’t tuned in to what I needed (but to be fair, the younger associates offered no help either). Not sure I’m ready to rat them out, but the 10% discount would be nice. Hmmm…

Hi Elizabeth,

Torrid has their own unique sizing and specials.  Don’t hesitate to ask a question on your next visit.  Should you find something you can’t live without, but it’s not in your size just ask an associate.  They can check another store or the website.  They’ll order it for you or ship to your home.

Alice

I did the survey but didn’t leave contact info for follow-up as I am still closeted. Got the code at the end of the survey but unfortunately it expires in a month. They tell you to write it on the receipt and show it next time in the store. In the closet, so not going to keep a Torrid receipt in my wallet for the next time I shop.

I’ve always good experiences at Torrid.

Elizabeth,

Never be afraid to ask for service or to use a fitting room.  While I love shopping at Torrid, aside from my regular store (where I am on a first name basis with the staff), I am usually ignored beyond an initial greeting.  And it does not matter whether I am wearing feminine or masculine attire.  I do not let this stop me from receiving the service needed.  I will admit that a few sales associates (along with several patrons) have shown expressions of surprise when I ask to be shown to a fitting room.

MacKenzie Alexandra

Peggy Sue Williams
      Duchess - Annual

Work with Torrid staff, and in almost all instances, they will work with you.

The Atlanta metro area has several Torrid stores, and service levels vary slightly at each store.  However, I know their corporate policy is trans/CD friendly.  I normally get greeted, when I walk in their stores, and most but not all the time the sales associate will rattle off all the specials and sales items, then leave me alone.  If I need help, I ask, and they are normally quick to offer same.

In the very rare instances that I have had to contact management, follow up was quick and very much to my satisfaction.  I truly believe they are a service-oriented company!

So sorry that happened.

Robin Snow
      Duchess

Hi Elizabeth,

You may be reading too much into this.  I shop in drabish.  Sometimes store clerks ask if I need help and sometimes they don’t.  If I want help, I’m not afraid to ask.  Sometimes I come out and say I’m shopping for myself and I need help with (fill in the blank).  While other times I ask if I can try something on.  I have yet to have any issues where a store clerk refused to help me because I’m not a cis woman.

Happy shopping!!!

Robin

Will someone on this forum Please 🙏 explain what cis means? I use the letters ‘GG’ to define genetic girl.

Anonymous

Meghan, it’s relatively new terminology, but becoming more widely used.

The prefix ‘cis’ means on the same side. So, someone who is cisgender has a gender that is on the same side as the sex they were assigned at birth.

The prefix ‘trans’ means on the other side. So, someone who is transgender has a gender that is on a different side from the sex they were assigned at birth.

Basically, it means the same thing as GG.

Much love,
          Raquel

I have found a dramatic difference between going in drab mode vs enfemme. When I used to go in drab, I often felt like I was ignored. Now, as Lauren, although I speak in a feminine voice, I am served with a smile and helped with whatever I need. I do know my sizes and often the only person I will interact with will be at the till when I make my purchases.

Hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

Anonymous

Lauren
        Good point
        Hugs Ginger

Anonymous

Hi Elizabeth,

I went into a Torrid store not long ago while en femme.  The sales associate was helping another woman pick out a bra and pretty much ignored me.  Since the heels I was wearing were hurting my feet, I left soon. I would like to go there again and see what kind of service I receive.

Kerri

Anonymous

So sorry of experience. Maybe sales associate first girl interaction, give them benefit of dought try again. You can always go elsewhere.
      Proud of your boldness
      Hugs Ginger

First off it is great that you have posted this negative experience you had  Elizabeth. They are just as important as posting the positive experiences. The more that is posted about situations like yours the better the chances it comes across eyes that can make a difference…a change for the better. My one Torrid in-store pick up was actually “him” getting it for me. The order was in my name so he was a little nervous about being able to pick it up by just using my name. Some stores here in Houston are requiring photo ID now. But I am assuming since I have a unique name like I do and he did have the order number as well if extra verification was needed. But it was not so the transaction went well. Two clerks did ask him how they could help them but I think their motive was “let’s figure out if this guy just wants to walk around a predominantly female business or if he really is there legitimately”.

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

Reminds me of my first time in my local Torrid. In the spur of the moment in male mode I ent into the store for a bra fitting. The lady took me to a fitting room and just handd me the tape measure to do it myself. When I went into the store I was the only one in there, by the time I left there were 6 or 7 customers and I was scared to death. I am sure the the sale person was uncomfortable working with me. I am not going to hold that against her, I have since gotten 3 dresses from there and VERY happy with MY TORRID!!!

Anonymous

That’s terrible. But I will say it may have just been that one employee. At my local one, only one girl cares if you’re not a GG. But they all still help anyone who walks in no matter what. Maybe the employee helping you was uncomfortable. Maybe she was having a bad day. Then again, maybe she just thought you knew what you were looking for. Don’t let that one experience turn you away though. Torrid is awesome.

Fortunately, my wife likes to shop at Torrid so we always go shopping together.  Even when I am in guy-mode with her at the store, the same thing happens sometimes.  I don’t think it is you at all.  I have been going shopping in guy mode in Torrid and Lane Bryant for decades and its usually no problems at all.

Tara

Anonymous

Elizabeth,

Sounds like a downer experience. But you made the best of it. I haven’t shopped at a Torrid, yet. But I have read many good things about them and their acceptance of LGBTQIA. I would probably give them another try.

Much love,
      Raquel

J J
      Lady

I have never had a bad experience, but I have had some bland ones. I believe some SAs just aren’t sure how to respond. I find by just asking for help they realize it is okay to interact with us. I have no doubt some men shopping give over very negative vibes to the SAs who then avoid them, and possibly the next male in the store.  I ahve found that once I interact with an SA wither drab or en femme they seem more at ease and aren’t afraid they might offend me somehow.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?