Viewing 3 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

For some reason, almost everything I’ve been reading lately touches on being trans in some way. Though it’s tempting to rationalize it way by saying, “Well of course YOU would pick books where gender swapping figures prominently.” But honestly, with one exception, it was not intentional. Here’s my recent reading list”

Unzipping Gender by Charlotte Suthrell – OK, this is the obviously one. It’s a study that the author did comparing UK transvestites to the Hijras of India, trying to figure out if there’s any commonalities among different groups of crossdressers (spoiler alert – it’s all over the place!). But it’s a great book for me because it strictly focuses on men who like to dress like women, but leaves out drag queens and transsexuals.

Pick Up the Pieces: Excursions in Seventies Music by John Corbett: I wasn’t expecting there to be anything trans about this book, but the first and last chapter focus on the song Lola (The Kinks version and a cover by the Raincoats). The first time around, he uses “Lola” to discuss how a song like this really signaled something new happening with the start of the decade, and he revisits it at the end to address his sister’s transition to becoming a man (I did not see that coming!). Of course, Lou Reed’s Transformer gets a whole chapter to itself as well. Gender fluidity and how it changed and evolved throughout the Seventies is addressed several times. A really great read (especially if you’re a rock music dork like me!).

The Wayward Children series by Seanann McGuire – This fantasy series has several characters that our able to visit other realities where they become the gender that actually suits them (which fits the general theme of children who discover these portals do so because they aren’t allowed to be themselves in this world).

Forever Nerdy by Brian Posehn – This book is awesome and hilarious, especially if you love heavy metal and Star Wars! But what I didn’t see coming was a heartbreaking story of one of the author’s babysitters – a teenage boy who was caught trying on his mother’s clothes while he was babysitting. When this was reported to the babysitter’s parents, the boy ended up committing suicide. This all happened in the early 70’s, so I guess this shouldn’t be unexpected for the time. Posehn revisits this several times in the book, obviously having a major effect on him since he was so young, but forcing him to think differently about gender and our attitudes towards those who don’t fit the norm.

Has anyone else noticed gender fluid topics showing up in unexpected places? Or is it just me?

Cheers,

Alexis

Aoife
      Lady

I’m struggling to think of one off the top of my head, but thank you for mentioning these. I’m definitely going to read Pick Up the Pieces. I will also look into Forever Nerdy as well. Much as I definitely don’t identify as a nerd I’m a huge fan of Mr. Show and Brian Posehn in general.

Michelle Liefde
      Ambassador

It does seem that once you become more aware you do find more literature out the there than you thought existed and even when I am not searching, I still find some reference or other.  I help Cap’n Di run the Media Review and always looking for reviews or recommendatiosn on books, films, songs, etc. that cover our community.  So if you ever feel like writing a media review article let me know.  In the meantime, thanks for the books mentioned and the synopsis of each.

Hugs,

Michelle

Anonymous

I would love that, actually! I’ve also considered myself something of an amateur critic anyway (really, I just love to write…). Anything in particular you’re looking for, or can I just pick anything that picks my fancy? Does it have to be current, or from any time? Crossdressing related only?

Thanks!

I think there was some Gender Fluidity in Virginia Woolf’s “Orlando” book.  Many decades later there was Ursula K Le Guin’s “The Left Hand of Darkness”.

Roxy641

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?