- 1. Nothing. Don't look at him. Don't say anything to him, just hurry past him and get on with your business, even though it's kind of rude not to thank him, because if you thank him, your male voice will confirm you are a male.
- 2. Look at him and just smile as you go past him. Kind of safe, but maybe he will clock you?
- 3. Smile, say thank you in a soft voice, proceed past him and out the door in as feminine and graceful way as you possibly can.
- 4. Other
- This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by .
Happens to all of us. Well, at least it happens to me all the time when I am out in public as my female self.
I approach a door at the same time a male does and almost, well almost all the time, (there are still many men who do not know how to treat a lady), the male will hold the door open for me.
Some gentlemen will often add, “After you ma’am.” Trouble is here you are a CD, looking up at this huge six foot six hulk of a guy who obviously bends steel for a living. If he were to realize you are a guy, will he become upset? So what do you do?
For me, I have always used option three (3) and have never had any problems, but I would enjoy hearing of your experiences.
It is scary sometimes, but I have had some pretty big guys here in Atlanta come barging through doors, only to realize I was coming through the door at approximately the same time. They would then back up, realizing their mistake, hold the door open for me and address me as “ma’am.”
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.