Viewing 6 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi everyone!

One thing I have become quite good at over the years is using a needle and thread, especially to change or adjust buttons on certain outfits I have bought. It got me thinking whether any ladies on here have ever tried to make their own outfits from scratch, using dress patterns etc.

I’ve always thought about trying to do it, but never had the time nor the space to have a go. It looks a pretty difficult skill to acquire, but I guess if you could do it properly you could make some great clothes.

Katie

Marianne
      Ambassador

I have seen two special dresses from start using commercial available patterns adapted to my measurements and adjusted according to my personal preferences.

You can see them among my public photos.

Marianne

Anonymous
      Lady

I’m very handy with sewing I now even have a machine I’ve made several skirts from scratch and sewed by hand I guessed the first time it came out alright but I do get better with each one I also alter clothing .even lingerie to be more fitting it just takes practice. I might even make one off a pattern some day

Anonymous
      Lady

I’m very handy with sewing I now even have a machine I’ve made several skirts from scratch and sewed by hand I guessed the first time it came out alright but I do get better with each one I also alter clothing .even lingerie to be more fitting it just takes practice. I might even make one off a pattern some day

Hi Katie oh girl just love to sew both wife and i sew a lot making dresses and all kinds of things for family and friends we both have a machine for each of us .. Back when our Daughter was  in high school she couldnt find a dress she liked or would fit quite right from prom.. So mom and dad went with her to pick out a pattern and material then the fun began as she was a bit short for her age then another fun fact she was a bit well endowed again for her age so shortining it was not so bad but making the chest department fit  was a bit more of a challenge..  She was so proud of the dress and the way it fit she told everyone of her girlfriends that dad made it for her i cried and gave mom some credit also so yes we love to sew ha ha ..

Stephanie Bass

I had a fashion designer turn some denim shorts that I bought too big into a mini skirt. She had the right equipment to deal with denim like that. Non-denim material might be easier to deal with, especially if you start with shorts or pants.

No problem Katie,  I do it all the time.  Most of my clothes are purchased and then altered to fit my tastes or figure but some are completely made from scratch.  I do work part time as a costumer and specialize in repair of show costumes (think Lido de’ Paris, Ballroom or Dancing With The Stars type costumes).  I work a lot during the winter when I’m not doing lumberjacking.  It keeps my arthritic hands from freezing up.  I learned many years ago and got started when I was 7 by my grandmother who gave me a taped razor blade and had me rip seams for her when she had trouble seeing.  The most common dress that I completely make is just a simple, but show stopping, wiggle dress.  I usually do that when I find some crazy elegant material to practice on and have fun with.  Almost everything that I will be wearing at Keystone will be something that I made or altered.  I usually don’t use store patterns but freehand my own designs or else use one of my stock patterns that I made out of old cardboard and know that works well.  I also sew leather.  There are great simple sewing machines that you might find for under $100 at Joann’s and they give lessons too.   So,  maybe consider trying some simple skirt pattern with scrap material or join a sewing club in your area.  If you don’t have a sewing machine you can always try fabric glue or rivets to learn with.  I hope this helps.  Marg

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?